Oculus Rift is an HMD with an Immersive 90-degree FoV, to be funded by Kickstarter - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 41 Old 05-30-2012, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Some smart guy from the MTBS3D forum has working prototypes of an HMD with a 90 degree field of view for immersive 3D gaming. He's hoping to crowd fund the project with Kickstarter to create an upgradeable HMD kit with a target price of around $500. What's even more interesting about this is that John Carmack of Id (Doom, Wolfenstien, etc.) fame has apparently taken great interest in the HMD (called the Oculus Rift) and has been testing it with Doom 3 BFG which is set to release later in the year. Carmack says that Doom 3 BFG will have full support for existing HMDs and for the Rift's high field of view.

The Verge ran a story earlier about it (link included in the story below), but it felt like it was missing a lot of backstory about the Oculus Rift itself so I went digging and here's everything that I found:

http://roadtovr.wordpress.com/2012/0...kstater-video/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 Old 05-30-2012, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Now THAT's interesting! While HMDs from Sony and Silicon Micro Display are nice you can't call them a virtual reality headsets because of their 40-45 degree FOV. I was waiting for this.
post #3 of 41 Old 05-30-2012, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Thanks, benz.

"While the FoV is great, the Oculus Rift is still a very early prototype and has some issues, the biggest of which is a low resolution. The display is a single 1280×800 panel which devotes half of itself to each eye making the effective resolution 640×800 far behind the ST1080′s 1080p displays and the HMZ-T1′s 720p OLED displays."

I'm not a gamer, I'm a movie and TV watcher, but I can tell you that even if such a device were to upgrade to use Full HD, 1080x1920 panels, eventually, that's simply not enough pixels for a massive 90 FOV. It would be like looking at a giant image of individual dots.

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass any more than we get to pick the ending of a play. High fidelity is an unbiased, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original source's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..

post #4 of 41 Old 05-30-2012, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post

Thanks, benz.

"While the FoV is great, the Oculus Rift is still a very early prototype and has some issues, the biggest of which is a low resolution. The display is a single 1280×800 panel which devotes half of itself to each eye making the effective resolution 640×800 far behind the ST1080′s 1080p displays and the HMZ-T1′s 720p OLED displays."

I'm not a gamer, I'm a movie and TV watcher, but I can tell you that even if such a device were to upgrade to use Full HD, 1080x1920 panels, eventually, that's simply not enough pixels for a massive 90 FOV. It would be like looking at a giant image of individual dots.

Yeah the resolution is certainly a concern. Carmack says from his testing that "The resolution is low for this large of an FOV; you can definitely see the pixels, and most people who have tried it on have commented about it relative to the HMZ-T1 that they had seen before. With such large pixels you want to take extra care to avoid aliasing - I wound up supersampling a fair amount in addition to using 4x MSAA for best results."

The issue, as I see from what I've read about this, is that the display they are using is the right size and there isn't a good mass produced alternative with a higher resolution. From what I gather, the Rift is using a single display panel (like what you'd find on a smartphone) rather than individual microdisplays like the HMZ-T1 or ST1080. If they could find a reasonably priced and appropriately size alternative, I'm sure they'll put it in. A 1920x1080 panel would mean effectively 960x1080, which would be pretty good.
post #5 of 41 Old 06-02-2012, 10:00 AM

That kind of resolution spread over that wide of a FOV is going to look horrible.

You need to think of it this way, that's 600x800 spread over twice the FOV of the HMZ-T1 or ST1080. Now your pixels are going to be twice as large. You can't get twice the FOV with half the resolution and expect it to be anywhere near the quality of the HMZ-T1 or ST1080. People will quickly berate the device once they've gotten over the FOV.

You'll be legally blind with this HMD. Like the HMDs in the 90's.
post #6 of 41 Old 06-03-2012, 04:13 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mellott124 View Post

That kind of resolution spread over that wide of a FOV is going to look horrible.

You need to think of it this way, that's 600x800 spread over twice the FOV of the HMZ-T1 or ST1080. Now your pixels are going to be twice as large. You can't get twice the FOV with half the resolution and expect it to be anywhere near the quality of the HMZ-T1 or ST1080. People will quickly berate the device once they've gotten over the FOV.

The target group for this hmd are gamers, not movie lovers. The pixel will be stretch horizontally by the lens more on the edges.
post #7 of 41 Old 06-03-2012, 04:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjyap View Post

The target group for this hmd are gamers, not movie lovers. The pixel will be stretch horizontally by the lens more on the edges.

Since when don't gamers care about resolution?
post #8 of 41 Old 06-04-2012, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

The author is going in the right direction with these. I'm sure John Carmack does know a thing or two about 3D entertainment.
But I'm afraid this first model won't be perfect (have high enough resolution) simply because of insufficient financing. How well it goes afterwards depends solely on how it will be accepted and supported (financially) among consumers and representatives of industry (such as Carmack).
Just being Cpt.Obvious here.
post #9 of 41 Old 06-04-2012, 08:04 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post

The resolution is a huge negative, especially that resolution, but i currently play at 720p on a 46" 3dtv which gives me a FoV of about 82 degrees, which has less than half of the pixels of 1080p and its a greater experience than 2560x1600 on a 30" Dell in 2D. That said, since gaming at 1080p in 3D is not much more demanding than 720p, i'd try very very hard to find a manufacturer that would sell small 1080p LCDs, or even oleds, cheaply. 640x800 is kind of a step backward. I can already pull my monitor or 3DTV closer to get a 90 degree FoV.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 41 Old 06-06-2012, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter

Some new details about the Oculus Rift including a target price of $500 for the kit!

http://roadtovr.wordpress.com/2012/06/06/early-oculus-rift-specifications-and-official-site-confirms-500-target/
post #11 of 41 Old 06-07-2012, 11:45 PM
AVS Special Member

At 500$, this awesome piece of hardware is a must-have for an enthusiast gamer. Also, nice logo.
post #12 of 41 Old 06-08-2012, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by tory40 View Post

i currently play at 720p on a 46" 3dtv which gives me a FoV of about 82 degrees.
Out of curiosity, do you watch TV and movies at a 23" distance from your 46" display, as well? Or just games?

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass any more than we get to pick the ending of a play. High fidelity is an unbiased, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original source's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..

post #13 of 41 Old 06-08-2012, 05:06 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mellott124 View Post

It is actually not as bad as you think. The optics compress the image in a way that gives you more pixels in the center, and fewer in the periphery. Heck, you give a pretty good review on your own site to the MRG2.2, and the Rift has a pixel density several times greater than that, and weighs 90% less to boot! wink.gif

It is not meant to compete with the ST1080 or the HMZ-T1, those are both still great products with a ton of great qualities. I am biased, obviously, but I think the Rift is great for what it is: A high FOV, lightweight, easy to modify HMD kit for VR enthusiasts.
post #14 of 41 Old 06-09-2012, 12:39 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post

Out of curiosity, do you watch TV and movies at a 23" distance from your 46" display, as well? Or just games?
Lol, no, just games, and i increase the rendering field of view in the games settings as well. For movies, i'll watch in a window or back up and relax on my couch. In games, i can lean forward and the depth diminishes, but things look closer, which is sometimes a good thing.

post #15 of 41 Old 07-30-2012, 09:01 PM - Thread Starter

The Oculus Rift Kickstarter is going to be launching really soon! I just pulled together all the latest info here:

http://www.roadtovr.com/2012/07/30/oculus-rift-kickstarter-watch-prototype-and-other-updates/
post #16 of 41 Old 08-03-2012, 07:10 AM

Amazing response so far.

I've pledged $330 for the dev kit.
post #17 of 41 Old 08-03-2012, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 63
I hope the final version works good on HD movies besides over emphasizing on pc gaming.
post #18 of 41 Old 08-04-2012, 12:23 AM
AVS Special Member

post #19 of 41 Old 08-05-2012, 08:21 AM
Advanced Member

The creator, Palmer had mentioned the initial version will only support games with pre-warp image built-in. The first game to support it would be DOOM3:BFG version. He even mentioned multiple times to discourage average consumer not to set that expectation that the unit can be use for 3D movie (unless you can use shader to warp the final image in SBS mode) or standard commercial game. If you are expecting a perfect HMD, then this is not for you.
post #20 of 41 Old 08-20-2012, 04:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Oculus Rift kickstarter - 11 days to go.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1523379957/oculus-rift-step-into-the-game?ref=live

Also, this thread's name has to be edited - Rift has a 110-degree FOV.
post #21 of 41 Old 09-04-2012, 12:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Kickstarter has ended with 9,522 backers. $2,437,430 pledged of $250,000 goal! There's no reason not to succeed with 10 times more funding than planned. Anyone on this forum expects a developer set?
post #22 of 41 Old 09-04-2012, 05:48 AM

Yep I'm in. Can't wait.
post #23 of 41 Old 09-07-2012, 02:07 PM

Yup, I'm in too. Actually, I pledged for a headset on the first day - such was my excitement. Personally I think it has the potential to be the most significant step forward in interactive entertainment in my lifetime, or it could be a horrible disaster! wink.gif

Anyway, to channel my new obsession into something useful, I went and created my first ever website: www.riftvr.com

.. might be of interest to some of you. Or not.

Anyway, December cannot be here soon enough. Best. Xmas. Pressie. Ever! smile.gif
post #24 of 41 Old 09-11-2012, 06:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muterobert View Post

Anyway, to channel my new obsession into something useful, I went and created my first ever website: www.riftvr.com
.. might be of interest to some of you. Or not.
Very nice smile.gif
post #25 of 41 Old 01-27-2013, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I preordered a dev kit!

https://www.oculusvr.com/pre-order/

My computer sucks, but I can run Valve games in stereo, that I know for sure. I might have a new PC by April anyway.

Oh, and they're going to show the Rift on Jimmy Fallon Wednesday night. He always reacts over the top with stuff so it'll be fun to see this one, since even the authentic reactions to the Rift have been pretty emotional!

A movie with good 3D does not necessarily equal a good 3D movie!

post #26 of 41 Old 01-28-2013, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakefoo View Post

I preordered a dev kit!
Quite a lot of people preordered it but we haven't seen any impressions yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakefoo View Post

Oh, and they're going to show the Rift on Jimmy Fallon Wednesday night. He always reacts over the top with stuff so it'll be fun to see this one, since even the authentic reactions to the Rift have been pretty emotional!
Post a link for us afterwards, ok?
post #27 of 41 Old 02-04-2013, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjyap View Post

The creator, Palmer had mentioned the initial version will only support games with pre-warp image built-in. The first game to support it would be DOOM3:BFG version. He even mentioned multiple times to discourage average consumer not to set that expectation that the unit can be use for 3D movie (unless you can use shader to warp the final image in SBS mode) or standard commercial game. If you are expecting a perfect HMD, then this is not for you.

And I'm glad he did...

I would have been in on this except for that fact.

I can handle low res, no biggie for me but I need the option to use it on a lot of content...

Shame and hopefully they resolve the resolution issue reasonably soon as I am in for one that supports a broad range of products even at 720p 90fov.

Monster Gold Plated Optical Cables:

Awesome user review: "Unreal quality. Sounded like I upgraded my speakers." :D
post #28 of 41 Old 03-05-2014, 06:49 AM

Wow, you are correct.  

The resolution is so low I cannot see this device being used for gaming, etc.  When you wear it, the scene is so 'smeared' it is disconcerting.

It is too bad, as this had potential.  

The other problem is that there is enough lag that there is a very strong likelihood people will become ill using this in extended duration gaming, etc  And this is running on a high end machine with the best graphic card

This is very much a slightly updated version of the HMDs we created in the 1990s.  The resolution is the same and apparently lessons were not learned from those days

Hopefully a new high resolution version will come out and be offered inexpensively to initial adopters soon!

post #29 of 41 Old 03-05-2014, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovacp1 View Post

Wow, you are correct.  
The resolution is so low I cannot see this device being used for gaming, etc.  When you wear it, the scene is so 'smeared' it is disconcerting.

It is too bad, as this had potential.  

The other problem is that there is enough lag that there is a very strong likelihood people will become ill using this in extended duration gaming, etc  And this is running on a high end machine with the best graphic card

This is very much a slightly updated version of the HMDs we created in the 1990s.  The resolution is the same and apparently lessons were not learned from those days

Hopefully a new high resolution version will come out and be offered inexpensively to initial adopters soon!

Come on man, its a DEV KIT for a reason. Oculus HAS, not had, a true potential, first consumer grade model will be many times better than the prototype. Why do you think they didnt go to the consumers with their 720p model? They've party solved the resolution and pixel grid. New oled prototype has 1080p screen and oled has higher pixel fill rate so it has less grid on same resolution than the lcd screen they are using on that 720p dev kit. Also the low persistance mode(strobe backlight) solves the smearing, nausea, fatigue and motion blur problem almost completely.
post #30 of 41 Old 03-08-2014, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Forgive me if I seem a little dense but it feels like I've been reading about the Oculus Rift's development and pending consumer release for 5 years (yes, that is a deliberate exaggeration done for dramatic effect). All the stories about the wonderful things people are doing with the dev kits are interesting but is there some semi-concrete info on when the consumer version will finally be released?
Reply 3D Displays

Tags
Oculus Rift Developers Kit , Mitsubishi

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page