Help needed to decide between TVs (very limited choice) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 05-31-2012, 12:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys,

I'm moving into a new place and want to get a 3D TV for the living room. I've been checking reviews and recommendations on sites and forums for a while now and the most common opinions were that a nice plasma would give be a better overall experience for both games and movies. The problem is that I am currently located in Pakistan and the TV choices here are rather limited. So I decided to make a post here for some advice before I pull the trigger.

While I'd love to get one of those shiny Panasonic plasmas that garner so much universal praise, I'm unfortunately limited to Sony and Samsung LEDs and just a D550 Samsung Plasma (51" or 59"). The D8000 plasma is availabe only in a 64" size (which is overkill for me). Now, I need help to decide between the D550 plasma or the D6400 LED. The plasma at 51" is the cheapest option, followed by the 55" D6400 and then the D550 59". Disregarding size for now, what set from these two would you folks recommend.

Again, my main use will be games (PS3, Xbox 360, WiiU) and movies (blu-ray and mkv rips etc from usb). I'd also like to connect my PC to play certain games (I'll be careful not to let a static desktop image remain for too long to avoid IR). Of course, nice 3D quality is prefered as well.

From what I gathered, plasmas still have a risk factor involved and they also have some other issues like high buzzing sounds and brightness pops. But then I saw a thread right here about fixing brightness pop issues and heard somewhere else that you can update/customize the TV's firmware to get advanced settings or something.

I also read that there isn't much of a difference quality-wise between the D550 and the D8000 (except that the D550 has reflection issues if used in a bright room, which won't affect me since I prefer watching TV in the dark anyway). But if the D8000 is CLEARLY superior to the D550, I COULD splurge a bit more and try to get a set imported from Dubai or something.

As for the LED, the D6400 is the only 55" LED model I can afford. The D6600, D7000 and D8000 models are really expensive at 55", but I could manage the 46" one. I want a 50" minimum though, so those are out of the running for now.

So yeah, this is my situation. Any thoughts/comments/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again in advance and sorry for the long post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-31-2012, 02:41 AM

Liked: 11
I would stay away from plasma. My personal reasons? They generate way too much heat. I will agree that plasma offers a beautiful picture, just that the room I have the plasma in runs 5-10 degrees hotter because of the heat generated by the pdp.

That's my two cents. That is why I will never buy plasma again.
post #3 of 5 Old 06-01-2012, 02:58 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Any one else?
post #4 of 5 Old 06-01-2012, 05:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 30
If 3D is really important I would go plasma or DLP. They are cheaper and offer the best 3d experience.
post #5 of 5 Old 06-01-2012, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I have a 2010 Samsung C8000 3D plasma and it is definitely prone to image retention. It has always faded away completely but can take up a few hours of viewing different material full screen before static huds wash away completely. If you are IR averse or tend to panic when you see it, you probably want to avoid 3D plasma sets, at least those from Samsung if my experience is anything to go by.
Reply 3D Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page