Optoma GT750E - how does it deal with true 720p signal? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 06-18-2012, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was almost ready to purchase this projector for use with the PS3 and PC gaming in 3D. I will be specifically sending the projector a true 720p signal - 1280x720 pixels. I was dismayed to see that the GT750E is a 1280x 800 projector, NOT a true 720p projector. At that resolution it should produce a 16x10 ratio display, not a 16x9 display.

Can anyone here tell me how this projector deals with this situation? Can I simply tell it to "letterbox" my 720p signal and display a true 720p image with no pixel scaling. Or will I have trouble with the projector attempting to scale my 720 up to 1280 x 800 pixels and a 16 x 10 ratio.

(Why they would do this is beyond me. All it does is cause problems. Why not just build the freaking projector correctly in the first place?) Anyway, feedback on this issue would be great as I would prefer not to waste my time ordering one only to have to return it. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-18-2012, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 143
First of all, there is no "correct" resolution. The projector recognizes different resolutions and projects the original image in its original format if it is less than 1280x800. Here are two it recognizes (this is from the manual, that you could have downloaded from the Optoma site):

"16:9: This format is for 16×9 input sources, like HDTV and DVD enhanced for Wide screen TV.
16:10: This format is for 16×10 input sources, like widescreen laptops."

So, most laptops have this resolution, so I guess 16:10 is "correct" for them.

In any case, the projector does not distort the 16:9 original image, just does not use the extra pixels.

Works great for 720p 3D.

OK?
post #3 of 6 Old 06-18-2012, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick response. It looks from your post as if your experience with this model hands-on and not just from reading the documentation? Specifically I'm wondering about this section: "In any case, the projector does not distort the 16:9 original image, just does not use the extra pixels." I ask because it isn't uncommon to see devices which support 16x10 (such as many of the older multi-input widescreen computer displays) fail to manage this properly and just stretch any 16x9 image to 16x10 (which doesn't bother some people, but which drives me up the wall).

PS. The reason I refer to there being a "correct" resolution is that it is being specifically billed as a 720p projector. 1280x800 is not 720p, just as 1366x768 isn't 720p (and which causes any of these sets to look like crud unless they support a 1:1 pixel mode). I realize that some people aren't particularly discerning when it comes to aspect ratios and pixel scaling, but I'm very discerning and find either of them to be completely unacceptable. So it's important to me to get a projector that will accept 720p input and then display that for me with absolutely no pixel-scaling and no aspect-ratio distortion... (Acer apparently makes a proper 720p projector with HDMI 1.4a support in most of the world but only sells the older non-1.4a-compliant model in the USA, bummer). Thanks again!

I would appreciate any further input people have. Anyone gaming at 720p on this projector? Anyone having forced (always-on, no way to disable) pixel-scaling or aspect-ratio issues?

PPS. I called Optoma today and spoke with their "tech support" department. They were useless unfortunately.
post #4 of 6 Old 06-18-2012, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 143
This is today. I have the projector, it does not distort. That would be unacceptable to everyone here.There is a forum on projectors; there have been many reviews of this projector. They pixel peep. It has to scale 1920x1080; it does that perfectly, keeping the 16:9. The reason nobody talks about this is that it is not an issue.

Actually, it is a WXGA projector officially.

It also has this, if you need it, as a menu choice:

"Native: This format displays the original image without any scaling."

But "Auto" seems to do the right thing.
post #5 of 6 Old 06-19-2012, 09:52 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by markr041 View Post

This is today. I have the projector, it does not distort. That would be unacceptable to everyone here.There is a forum on projectors; there have been many reviews of this projector.
I have the GT750E and concur with all markr041 stated.

Derek
post #6 of 6 Old 06-22-2012, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the feedback guys. You've gone a long-way towards assuaging my worries.

Out of curiousity, has anyone here been gaming on the PS3 with this projector. Specifically I'm a racing sim guy and will be using it with GT5. I just want to be sure the projector works properly when fed a 720p 3D signal @ 60hz as opposed to how it works when downscaling a 1080p/24hz signal.
Reply 3D Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page