Planning my first PJ setup. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 06-28-2012, 08:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
So, I just won an Epson 8350 projector in the Worst Install Mistake contest. It's my first projector, and so I have a lot of learning to do as I prepare to transform my basement into a home theater. smile.gif It's worth noting that this PJ is not 3D, but I like to be future-looking whenever possible, and I assume that at some point in the future I'm going to upgrade, since the projector itself is only a small part of what I'll spend setting up the theater. I've done a fair amount of reading, but I have some questions.

All I know about my setup at this point is that I'll be using the aforementioned Epson at first, and that I have excellent light control (zero or near-zero ambient). In addition to that, I'm hoping to have two rows of seating for a total of 4-6 people. I'll almost certainly have 7.1 sound. I'm open to high-mounting the three speakers so that I don't have to do an acoustically transparent screen, and I'd be just as happy with an acoustically transparent screen. I've not decided on pull-down vs. fixed vs. paint-on screens. I'm thinking projection distance will be in the ballpark of 15-20', with viewing distances in the 12-18' range, on a 100-120" screen. The projector will most likely be on a ceiling mount.

So, my questions:
1. I understand that you make some sacrifices if you use the same screen for both 2D and 3D viewing. What are the nature of these sacrifices, and how significant are they?
2. Is it common to have a fixed 3D screen with a pull-down 2D screen that hangs just in front of it, or vice versa? Or two pull-down screens? Or is there some other good way to avoid these sacrifices while still enjoying both 2D and 3D content?
3. In particular, if I pick a good 3D screen, what's going to be wrong with my 2D picture? Does that answer change based on active vs. passive 3D, polarized vs. non, etc.?
4. I'm under the impression that good 3D screens are generally not acoustically transparent; is that true?
5. If a screen has good gain and retains a high percentage of polarization, are there kinds of 3D where it wouldn't be good?
6. Does one of today's 3D technologies seem to be taking hold more strongly than the others?

Any other advice you guys may have would be appreciated, including links to appropriate existing threads/posts for further reading. I've done a lot, but there is an absolutely immense amount of information on this forum and it's tough to find anything definitive.

Thanks!

Reply 3D Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page