Best 3D projector under $2k? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 07-11-2012, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm looking for a HD 3D projector for my home theater room. I've been looking at the Epson Home Cinema 3010 lately. What would be a better choice for the price? Other recommendations?

The theater room is 1'4X15' if that helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-11-2012, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 140
I love my Optoma HD3300, but due to the fact that the Acer has lens shift, if I were to do it again I'd probably go with the Acer 9500BD.

post #3 of 7 Old 07-12-2012, 07:09 AM - Thread Starter

after searching and reviewing it looks like the Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 3010 is going to be the winner. Brighter, Variable Iris, Horiz + Vert Keystone, 4000 hours lamp life, PIP, Two pairs of 3D glasses.
correct me if i'm wrong but isn't the 3010 the best bang for the buck?
post #4 of 7 Old 07-12-2012, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
A little surprised the hornets' nest you are kicking has not swarmed. There are three excellent choices: The Optoma 33 / 3300, the Acer 9500, and the Epson 3010. The Epson is LCD and the others are DLP, and there has been a forever war between the camps favoring each of those two display methods. 3D has revived the conflict as it is no longer restricted to rainbow effect vs. black levels. Now it includes ghosting vs. brightness and color, ANSI contrast vs. dynamic contrast, and other factors. While I personally favor the Epson 3010, I can sure see why another would favor the DLP models for their advantages. I will assert that you cannot go wrong with any of these three for 3D Blu-Ray viewing.
post #5 of 7 Old 07-13-2012, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter

I've decided on the Epson 3010! Should have it in a few days. Any recommendations on a ceiling mount?
post #6 of 7 Old 07-17-2012, 12:29 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
A mount with at least a 12" drop, if you don't want to keystone your image. The 3010 has no lens shift and top of image is almost center of the lens (see throw calculations on www.projectorcentral.com). Last mount used was 12" drop Vantage Point 3 arm model, but 3010 has 4 mounting holes, but lucky I had extra arm so it worked out for me. I'd consider a Omnimount with 10" or 12" pipe.
post #7 of 7 Old 08-23-2012, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickMcKaha View Post

A little surprised the hornets' nest you are kicking has not swarmed. There are three excellent choices: The Optoma 33 / 3300, the Acer 9500, and the Epson 3010. The Epson is LCD and the others are DLP, and there has been a forever war between the camps favoring each of those two display methods. 3D has revived the conflict as it is no longer restricted to rainbow effect vs. black levels. Now it includes ghosting vs. brightness and color, ANSI contrast vs. dynamic contrast, and other factors. While I personally favor the Epson 3010, I can sure see why another would favor the DLP models for their advantages. I will assert that you cannot go wrong with any of these three for 3D Blu-Ray viewing.

I'm one of those guys who likes the DLP (we're also the type who just can't understand why everyone doesn't see things the way we do wink.gif ).

I think the DLP image is sharper (used to own an LCD 1080p PJ) and the colors don't seem as muted as they are on the LCD. Of course this could just be the result of the particular LCD PJ I owned. The Acer (US version) has a 4X color wheel and the rainbow effect (if you see it) is a definite downside. The 50Hz model sold elsewhere has a 6X color wheel as does the Optoma. For those of you who don't know, the faster the color wheel, the less RBE. Ghosting.....the Acer has "none". Look at some of the comparison reviews and you'll see the difference between the DLP and LCD technology. Ghosting never bothered me (it isn't "that" bad) until I got the Acer in my home theater. Now I go to IMAX 3D movies and notice it.

For me, the vertical/horizontal shift was something I needed a little of and that, and the reviews, turned me to the Acer. Also Acer has just come out with a firmware update which made an already sharp image even sharper (1:1 pixel mapping) and implemented a color management system which should allow for even better colors.

My humble addition......

Home Theater: Acer H9500BD 3D Projector, 120" Elite Screen, Sony BDP-S780 3D Blu-Ray Player, Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Surround

Family Room: Mitsubishi 73" 3D DLP, Sony BDP-S5100 3D Blu-Ray Player, Harmon Kardon AVR 5.1, Polk Audio 5.1 Surround
Reply 3D Displays

Tags
Optoma Kt4348 3d Ready Dlp Projector , Projectors , Optoma , Projector Gear Projector Ceiling Mount For Optoma Hd3300 , Acer , Acer H9500bd 3d 1080p Home Theater Projector , Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 3010 2d And 3d Projector V11h421020
Gear in this thread - V11h421020 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page