Thoughts on LG Vs Samsung (55" 3D) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 07-13-2012, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have been looking at the Samsung UN55ES7500 pretty seriously lately, but someone mentioned LG panels were actually pretty good now. I was looking at the LG 55LM7600 and it seemed comparable. I know there are a lot of people much smarter than I am in this area, so I come to you for advice. It used to be when I thought of LG I thought cheap. Because of the size and layout of living room going bigger than 55" isn't really an option (nor do I care to go much higher). I would primarily be using the 3D for gaming (PS3) and some movies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-14-2012, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 51
I own an LM7600. To my eyes it gets stellar marks in all but one area.

2D and 3D performance are outstanding and, unlike prior LG passive TVs, I do not see any drop in resolution when viewing in 3D. The TV has a ton of controls for image tweaking so you should be able to dial the image to your liking no matter what room it is in. You can also turn on the TV's game mode to turn off most image processing features and all but eliminate lag. The TV also has a pretty good 2D>3D implementation that I've definitely gotten some mileage out of (sports come across especially well in 2D>3D on this set).

The only area of disappointment for me is that the TV has some pretty visible edge bleeding. Dim to extremely bright images all come across fine but if the screen is very dark or isn't receiving an input you're apt to see some light blooms from some of the edges. It hasn't been much of an issue for me so far and I suspect I could improve the edge bleed by working on the panel light and contrast settings more than I have, but it is something to be aware of. Another area of potential concern is the remote, which uses a Wiimote style wand interface. It works but can take some getting used to if you've only used traditional IR remotes.

I've had my TV since early April and the build quality seems fine to me.
post #3 of 10 Old 07-15-2012, 09:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I too am mostly pleased with my 65" LG. I really don't like the 2D to 3D conversion, but overall picture is pretty superb. I am really fortunate in that I don't have light bleed around the edges, even when viewing a dark film with the lights off. There is some minor clouding, but you really need to look for it in order to find it.

When gaming, I can certainly tell there is a hit in resolution when playing in 3D. It isn't devastating by any means, but it is apparent, perhaps more so on a screen this large. Gears of War 3 is a big offender.

Finally, I will say that it really took some time to get the colors right. There seemed to be a big red push, dialing that out was a nightly process and I'm still not certain I am where I want to be with it.
post #4 of 10 Old 07-15-2012, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 51
The size of the TV is definitely a factor with a lot of 3D games since there is often a drop in resolution to offset the doubling of images with true stereoscopic games. I've noticed that games which looked pretty bad on my 63" Samsung look better on my 55" LG. Even Killlzone 3, which was a sloppy, pixelly mess on the Samsung now looks acceptable (but still not great) on the smaller LG.

And yes, I also find dialing in the color, sharpness and even brightness to be an ongoing exercise with any LCD TV. After three months I've gotten mine pretty much to where I like it across the board. Fortunately, the LG remembers different settings for each input and that has been a big help since what works well for a BluRay player is not necessarily best for a game console.
post #5 of 10 Old 07-15-2012, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. I went and looked at the LG in a BestBuy yesterday and was impressed with it. At one point I was almost parallel with the TV and the image was still decent.
post #6 of 10 Old 07-15-2012, 02:30 PM

Liked: 11
If active 3d and glasses bother you get the LG, if not and you want the best image possible get the Samsung.
post #7 of 10 Old 07-16-2012, 10:25 PM

I've always appreciated samsung tv's, their design, up to date technology, and let's face it, their tv's are crystal clear, but this year when LG came out with their new models, I was extremely impressed. Especially with their 3d tv's. First of all, I love that the 3d glasses don't need to be charged every time. Inexpensive and easy to use. Can't go wrong with that. And the 3d flickering doesn't happen AT ALL. No more eyes hurting and headaches. I'm all for LG 3d tv's this year. They really awed me.
post #8 of 10 Old 08-13-2012, 09:58 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by martiniman88 View Post

I've always appreciated samsung tv's, their design, up to date technology, and let's face it, their tv's are crystal clear, but this year when LG came out with their new models, I was extremely impressed. Especially with their 3d tv's. First of all, I love that the 3d glasses don't need to be charged every time. Inexpensive and easy to use. Can't go wrong with that. And the 3d flickering doesn't happen AT ALL. No more eyes hurting and headaches. I'm all for LG 3d tv's this year. They really awed me.

Got to chime in with my now 4 week old Samsung PN60E7000 plasma. Just a fantastic set.

I did look at the LG passive sets but it just could not touch the Sammy plasma in 2D and that was obviously my priority.

I will say the LG's are nice in 3D for sure but mine is not to shabby. wink.gif
post #9 of 10 Old 08-20-2012, 05:43 AM - Thread Starter

I ended up getting the LG after it fell to $1500. The picture out of the box is amazing, I am sure it will be even better after I get it all calibrated (Disney WOW disc gets here later this week). Now if I could the PS3 3D figured out I would be set smile.gif

Thanks for all the replies.
post #10 of 10 Old 08-20-2012, 08:17 PM

I too bought the LG 55LM7600 tonight at BestBuy...and expecting delivery this Wednesday. The store had it for $1899 but I advised the store rep that on bestbuy dot com it shows $1498, so they price matched. Can't beat that price plus 36 months deferred interest and they haul away my old Samsung 50" DLP. Plus since I'm a silver member, they'll do calibration after 200 hours. (I know I know, it's BestBuy but it's better than no calibration). This tv impressed me when I saw it last night. The whole Smart TV thing is nice and I know that it's sluggish, due to one processor instead of duo, but that's not why I bought the TV. My primary focus for tv is for video gaming (360 and PS3), which many websites rank this as one of the best for low input lag as well as for watching HDTV and DVD's/Blu. I hope I don't get a defective one; if so, have that 'perfact match' thing going as well from BestBuy.
Reply 3D Displays

Tags
Lg , Samsung , Samsung Un55c8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Led Hdtv , Samsung Un55es7500 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Slim Led Hdtv , Lg Cinema Screen 55lm7600 55 Inch Cinema 3d 1080p 240 Hz Led Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page