help decide - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 07-17-2012, 11:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Im looking to buy my first 3d t.v but having trouble deciding which one to buy i just want the best t.v in your opinion since I don't know a lot about t.v's. My budget is like 1,000$ give or take I'm trying not to go pass 1,200 i don't care about the 3d that much i just wanted as a nice extra feature I'm a gamer also if that matters...
i've narrowed it down to 2 choices

LG:LM6700 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006ZH0KJS/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
Samsung:Es6500 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007B9PM4W/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

both are 47 inches but i guess i can go higher or lower which one do u guys think will be the better choice I'm open to suggestions as well so I'm not exactly set on those any help is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 07-18-2012, 06:04 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 116
I would personally go with the LG, I prefer the Passive 3D. Plus that TV will do 2D -> 3D conversion of content. If you want to save money, have you considered the:

http://www.amazon.com/Vizio-M3D470KD-47-Inch-Theater-Internet/dp/B007TEE92K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1342612722&sr=8-1&keywords=vizio+47+3d+led

I just picked one up recently, it's a great TV. But if you are really into the Smart TV apps or 2D to 3D conversion, then I wouldn't recommend it over the LG or Samsung (IDK if Samsung does 2D -> 3D). But if you don't care for that, like myself, you could save yourself a couple hundred dollars. The contrast ratio on the Vizio is higher then the LG and Samsung TV that you have selected.

"Live to Win!"
XBL: RandomNinjaAtk
www.stevenohare.com - Personal Blog
www.oharesites.com - Domain Names, Web Hosting, Email Hosting and more
post #3 of 15 Old 07-18-2012, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 74
If you're a gamer, you need to consider lag and motion blur with an an LCD TV. I'd recommend DLP. With DLP you won't have gaming lag motion blur, or 3D ghosting. Plus you can get a 73" TV delivered to your door for the same price you're considering for a 47". http://www.amazon.com/Mitsubishi-WD-73640-73-Inch-1080p-Projection/dp/B004ZL2OOU

That's almost 2-1/2 times the viewing area for the same price! I play on my son's 73" and gaming has never been sweeter. I highly recommend that you check it out.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

post #4 of 15 Old 07-19-2012, 11:12 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeone View Post

Im looking to buy my first 3d t.v but having trouble deciding which one to buy i just want the best t.v in your opinion since I don't know a lot about t.v's. My budget is like 1,000$ give or take I'm trying not to go pass 1,200 i don't care about the 3d that much i just wanted as a nice extra feature I'm a gamer also if that matters...
i've narrowed it down to 2 choices
LG:LM6700 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006ZH0KJS/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
Samsung:Es6500 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007B9PM4W/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
both are 47 inches but i guess i can go higher or lower which one do u guys think will be the better choice I'm open to suggestions as well so I'm not exactly set on those any help is appreciated.

go with Samsung, its an obvious choice.

LG Passive 3D is only Half resolution.
Vizio is not recommended unless you really don't have any money, its very ****** and basically if your getting a TV get from big brands, Samsung, LG, Panasonic, Sony, Philips (maybe i missed someone, but rest are just waste of money)
post #5 of 15 Old 07-19-2012, 12:02 PM

LG passive 3d may only be half resolution...I can't say that I know that to be true or not but don't really care one way or the other....I can only say, though, that visually it is a very good 3d presentation....and from reading many other threads on the issue it seems that most agree. Sometimes technical specs don't tell the whole story.
post #6 of 15 Old 07-19-2012, 12:24 PM

Liked: 11
If your a gamer the last thing you want is an lcd tv passive or active it doesn't matter as the technology is too slow. I would also have to say go with DLP as it has a 16 microsecond response time which is much faster than plasma or lcd so you won't have any lag or ghosting or motion blur.
post #7 of 15 Old 07-19-2012, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies I just bought the lg Should arrive tmrow I went to check it out at the store and the 3d was better than the Samsung and I don't really notice much of a diffrence between both besides 3d but that's just me. I don't really care about the Resolution only think I'm worried about is that I've been reading that they tend to have a lot of defects hopefully mine dosent have problems
post #8 of 15 Old 07-19-2012, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter

Well I don't game as much as I use to I don't have much time no more but I sometimes do have a gaming marathon once in a while as long is not that noticeable I probably can live with it if not I can always return it after I test it out
post #9 of 15 Old 07-19-2012, 02:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Congrats on the purchase! I perfer the passive 3D and have played a few games in 3D! And for ViruzzX, don't be a Vizio hater! (not attempting to troll, and don't need too start a debate, your choice of words were very unique..)

"Live to Win!"
XBL: RandomNinjaAtk
www.stevenohare.com - Personal Blog
www.oharesites.com - Domain Names, Web Hosting, Email Hosting and more
post #10 of 15 Old 07-21-2012, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeone View Post

Thanks for the replies I just bought the lg Should arrive tmrow I went to check it out at the store and the 3d was better than the Samsung and I don't really notice much of a diffrence between both besides 3d but that's just me. I don't really care about the Resolution only think I'm worried about is that I've been reading that they tend to have a lot of defects hopefully mine dosent have problems

Congrats on the purchase. I've owned an LG LM7600 since April and game extensively on it. The LG's all have a game mode; just make sure to turn it on for your videogame inputs and you should be fine. I did that and have not had any issues at all with motion blur or lag (though I mostly do single player so your mileage may vary with multiplayer).

3D also looks great on this TV and while it technically may be half resolution I cannot detect any discernible drop in resolution between it and my active Samsung 3D plasma. Also, the LG's are compatible with RealD 3D glasses so if you ever catch a 3D movie at the theater, keep the glasses as they will work just fine with your TV.

About the only knock I can give the LG is that my set has some edge bleed; its only visible when the image on the screen is extremely dark and it can be managed and mitigated by playing with the brightness, contrast and panel light settings but it is something to be aware of.

Best of luck and I hope you enjoy the set.
post #11 of 15 Old 07-25-2012, 08:18 AM

Sorry I came to the party late, but I'd also have looked at the Panasonic ET5 (42-55") which uses an IPS Passive 3D panel made by LG. I've been incredibly happy with mine, and it does have a dedicated gaming mode to remove the ghosting. These new passive 3D LCD panels for 2012 have pretty much eliminated the crosstalk that still plagues the active 3D sets. Really look at one before you just dismiss them out of hand.
post #12 of 15 Old 07-25-2012, 09:01 AM

Liked: 11
Passive will always have crosstalk it's the nature of the technology, yes it's low, but the only displays that is crosstalk free is active 3d DLP tv's and projectors. LCD panels are the worst for gaming period because of their slow response time and far as the 3d to many jaggies and the venitian blind effect, I'd have to go with a plasma.
post #13 of 15 Old 07-25-2012, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewis3845 View Post

Passive will always have crosstalk it's the nature of the technology, yes it's low, but the only displays that is crosstalk free is active 3d DLP tv's and projectors. LCD panels are the worst for gaming period because of their slow response time and far as the 3d to many jaggies and the venitian blind effect, I'd have to go with a plasma.

I can't say I know what crosstalk is but I can say that the 3D blu rays I have seen on my newish LG have been free of visible defects....the picture is truly outstanding in 3D. As to gaming, I find that the game mode on the LG does a great job with the racing and battle games that I've used on PS3. No problem with response time. Guess its best to test these things out as opinions apparently do vary. I do like plasma but the heat that is given off is far too much for a smaller room and I'd be wary of burn-in with programming like CNBC and others that use lots of static imaging.
post #14 of 15 Old 07-25-2012, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by hibeta View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewis3845 View Post

I can't say I know what crosstalk is but I can say that the 3D blu rays I have seen on my newish LG have been free of visible defects....the picture is truly outstanding in 3D. As to gaming, I find that the game mode on the LG does a great job with the racing and battle games that I've used on PS3. No problem with response time. Guess its best to test these things out as opinions apparently do vary. I do like plasma but the heat that is given off is far too much for a smaller room and I'd be wary of burn-in with programming like CNBC and others that use lots of static imaging.

Crosstalk, or "ghosting" occurs when the picture intended for one eye leaks through or is otherwise visible to the other eye. This occurs with passive TV when the viewer is not level with the TV (the filter lines no longer line up with the image lines) and with active when the display cannot change quickly enough (LCD) or when the image fades too slowly (plasma). Due to inherently faster pixel speeds, DLPs have proven crosstalk free. Active LCD and plasma manufacturers have improved crosstalk with processing and other tweaks, but have not eliminated it yet. Also, in rare cases crosstalk can occur with any active system where the glasses themselves are faulty.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

post #15 of 15 Old 07-25-2012, 02:32 PM

Thanks for the information on crosstalk. Very informative post.
Reply 3D Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page