3D, HTPC and HDMI Question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 07-18-2012, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I am a complete n00b when it comes to 3D tech. My Samsung DLP TV blew up on me, and they are replacing it with a Plasma with 3D.

From what I understand, if I want to watch 3D BDs from my Playstaion 3, I need a HDMI 1.3 cable. Both the PS3 and TV have HDMI 1.3+ ports, so nothing to worry about there.

I have a WDTV, and a Dennon 3808ci. I believe both have HDMI 1.2. I am unclear if I can play a 3D .mkv from the WDTV to the TV, OR if I can play a 3D .mkv through the Dennon to the TV. I wasn't sure if the 1.3 supported some copy protection or something like that that is required for BD playback, but not necessarily file playback.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!

-Sean

Sean Hull

Denon 3808ci | PS3 80Gb | Harmony One | Toshiba XA2 | Samsung 61" PN60E6500EF | HTPC with HDMI

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-18-2012, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked: 440
Cables are not categorized by the HDMI version. They're categorized by how fast (high frequency) a signal they can pass. For 3D, you need a cable which is certified for "high speed". (Also, don't waste your money on an HDMI cable which includes ethernet because no current equipment actually uses that.)

Equipment is categorized by the HDMI version, though. For full 3D support, you need equipment which supports HDMI v1.4a. (v1.4 defined 3D support, v1.4a added several more varieties of 3D encoding.)

The usual workaround for older receivers is to connect the 3D player's HDMI cable directly to the TV and use a digital audio connection (coax or optical) from the player to the receiver.

Edited to add:
For more details about HDMI versions and cables, see the Wikipedia article at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI

Selden

Marantz SR7009/7.1.4/FH+TM/DefTech PM1000/LCR+TM amped
post #3 of 5 Old 07-18-2012, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post

Equipment is categorized by the HDMI version, though.
Not anymore. Manufacturers may just list specific capabilities. Look here. FWIW even if a piece of equipment is labeled HDMI 1.4a, it doesn't necessarily mean it supports 3D.

Sometimes it is better to look at the source than Wikipedia.
post #4 of 5 Old 07-18-2012, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked: 440
I was unaware that, effective January 1, 2012, HDMI forbids the use of the HDMI version numbers. Thanks for pointing that out. See http://www.hdmi.org/learningcenter/trademark_logo_pub.aspx

That's another strike against marketers who like to reference HDMI versions in their cable marketing.

Selden

Marantz SR7009/7.1.4/FH+TM/DefTech PM1000/LCR+TM amped
post #5 of 5 Old 07-18-2012, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post

I was unaware that, effective January 1, 2012, HDMI forbids the use of the HDMI version numbers. Thanks for pointing that out. See http://www.hdmi.org/learningcenter/trademark_logo_pub.aspx
That's another strike against marketers who like to reference HDMI versions in their cable marketing.

Really annoying for me when I'm trying to figure out what "version" HDMI the WDTV has. I guess I'll just have to plug it in and find out. I should prob buy at least one "high speed" HDMI cable from monoprice so I can rule out my cable as the reason for it not working.

Sean Hull

Denon 3808ci | PS3 80Gb | Harmony One | Toshiba XA2 | Samsung 61" PN60E6500EF | HTPC with HDMI

Reply 3D Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page