Rarely asked question about LG D2342P.. :| - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 08-09-2012, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello Everybody:)

I am planning to purchase LG D2342P 3d monitor mainly for watching 3d BlueRay movies.
Now, what's bothering me is that I have heard that passive monitor offers great depth but lacks theater like pop-out effects and also passive is inferior to active displays in case of pop-out effects. Actually I prefer pop-out effects over depth. So, it would be a great help to me if anyone can confirm this..

With Regards
Bruce
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-09-2012, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3D Bruce View Post

Hello Everybody:)

I am planning to purchase LG D2342P 3d monitor mainly for watching 3d BlueRay movies.
Now, what's bothering me is that I have heard that passive monitor offers great depth but lacks theater like pop-out effects and also passive is inferior to active displays in case of pop-out effects. Actually I prefer pop-out effects over depth. So, it would be a great help to me if anyone can confirm this..

With Regards
Bruce

Depth and pop-out are usually determined by the source material except, for example, in 2D-3D conversion. The "new" 3D is supposed to be more about depth, as pop-out is considered gimmicky, and causes eye strain with some people.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

post #3 of 4 Old 08-09-2012, 05:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Not sure where you heard that as I have both a passive and active displays and popouts look fantastic on both sets. Popout is more about how close you sit to your display. You don't wanna be too close nor too far but need to find that sweet spot for the best 3d affects. wink.gif
post #4 of 4 Old 08-11-2012, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by plasmaowner View Post

Not sure where you heard that ...

Many places reported on it when 3D broke out in 2010, here's one example; http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10434346-1/3d-tv-faq/#34
Quote:
In this newly updated FAQ I'll attempt to answer those questions as well as possible, incorporating my first-hand knowledge in reviewing numerous 2010 3D TVs, conversations I've had with industry experts...

...Viewing certain programming on a 3D TV can cause headaches or other ill effects in some viewers, especially over longer periods of time. In our experience, and in the opinions of most experts we've consulted, the main cause of headaches or eye fatigue isn't the 3D technology itself; it's badly produced 3D content.

Comfort is a major concern of most 3D producers. Too much of a 3D effect can become tiresome after a while, abrupt camera movement can be disorienting, and certain onscreen objects can appear blurry, for example. The best 3D movies, like "Avatar," tend to use depth effects that stay close to the plane of the screen, with fewer gotcha objects that pop out or recede into the screen excessively.

...We consider "good" 3D content (think "Avatar") the most important factor in whether 3D is enjoyable to any given individual.

and here's another: http://knowledge.wharton.upenn.edu/article.cfm?articleid=2062
Quote:
3D similarly needs to advance beyond the gimmick stage. "We need to move beyond jutting objects off the screen at the audience and use depth as a natural component of the world on screen,"

and another: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/digitalfoundry-stereo-3d-year-one
Quote:
it's all about generating depth, whereas the "in your face" potential of 3D that springs out of the screen is rarely explored at all. The illusion fails when the screen doesn't occupy most of your field of view.
Effects that "pop out" of the screen are generally dismissed as being gimmicks or party pieces

All that being said, there is still content out there that exploits the pop-out side of 3D. The content makers decide on the amount of depth when they make the content (usually by setting the distance between the lenses of the right and left cameras).

Using either passive or active 3D, there should be no difference in depth or pop-out.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

Reply 3D Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page