Gene Dolgoff's 3D Vision: How to Convert any 2D Television into 3D - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 08-14-2012, 03:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Convert 2-D Programming to 3-D Experiences - Instantly!

New 3-D televisions are great, but they aren’t for everyone. They’re expensive, they require special hardware and glasses, and worst of all - even if you have a 3-D TV, programming is limited to a handful of new movies and shows that have been specially produced. What if you want to watch some of the classics, your own home videos, or games in 3-D without spending thousands of dollars on a new TV?

The answer: 3-D Vision's Instant 3-D Converter™ instantly transforms any TV into a 3D-enabled device, and any content into awesome 3-D so you can view your favorite movies, shows, and video games in mind-blowing 3-D quality.
WATCH THE VIDEO

BACK THIS PROJECT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 08-14-2012, 11:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 32
The solution to making 3D a success is not to make all our 2D content look like paintings on a rock- it's making content 3D in the FIRST place. But it's not that easy-- content has to be MADE FOR 3D, not just paired with it as an afterthought. Converting people's negative opinions that all 3D is as pointless as a Clash of the Titans postconversion, and to undo all the damage that Hollywood has done to its own cash cow, is going to take many years. These little 2D>3D converters are just lame attempts at getting a little extra cash. I don't see how these ventures could possibly benefit people like me who have fully-functioning stereo vision and can seel all the BS depth patterns going on during a realtime conversion.

My Videos

A movie with good 3D does not necessarily equal a good 3D movie!

post #3 of 12 Old 08-29-2012, 07:50 AM

Liked: 11
I asked the inventor of this device some questions about his invention and one of his responses was kind of interesting. He mentions that his company has a full resolution passive display in the works, which I assume will have his converter built in.

This is what he said:
Quote:
We have a new patent pending design for a passive 3-D TV system which improves vertical angle of view and provides full simultaneous HD resolution to each eye, and are looking for licensees. It uses standard polarized glasses, so the small amount of crosstalk seen today would still be there.

There was also a Youtube video describing the tech behind this converter.

http://youtu.be/8CMXrjTAKz8
post #4 of 12 Old 08-29-2012, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

I wasn't able to get through the whole video but thankyou for posting. I wish it had been more condensed. All I took away from it was that his system is better than the built-in converters in TV sets, which doesn't get me excited in the least. Just because his career and research span several decades doesn't mean he's ahead of the curve today. Sorry! I remain uber-skeptical of this wonder-device.

My Videos

post #5 of 12 Old 08-29-2012, 08:42 PM

Well it's good to be skeptical, so I wouldn't blame you for that. I read a few positive testimonials from the site linked up above and the device seems like it will work well. Of course he or they (the folks at the crowd funding site) could of just placed only positive reviews on his site, but I doubt it. In any case, I guess we will just have to wait and see.

Here's what one of the more critical reviews had to say:
Quote:
3D conversion that works

I spent a few hours visiting with Dolgoff at his 3-D Vision lab on Long Island. First he showed off some of the aforementioned Rachel Ray stuff which, while impressive for its grand-scale delivery, doesn’t come close in terms of quality to the 3D tech that is in use as of 2012. Eventually we moved on to the converter, which currently exists only in prototype form. The unit is massive, and almost too heavy to lift. It houses multiple fans, which makes for a loud demonstration. It works though, and Dolgoff promises that the mass-produced version of this converter will be much, much smaller, the sort of thing that could fit easily into anyone’s media center.

First we took a look at a few things on an old Sony WEGA flatscreen, a TV set that went up to a whopping (at the time) 480p. A DVD of The Wizard of Oz, a Blu-ray of Bee Movie, and a PlayStation 3 version of NCAA Football 13 served as the testing materials.There’s an unavoidable, minimally distracting, flicker that you get when watching the converted 3D on a CRT screen, but the optical effect is immediately noticeable. In every case, the converter capably translated the depth of the image into a 3D display.

The flickering disappears when you step up to modern-day HDTV, though depending on which set you use you do see some minor ghosting. Again, it’s not distracting to the point that it draws you away from the convincing 3D effect. I played a race in MotorStorm Apocalypse and, once again, the added depth that the converter offers is immediately noticeable. It was the next step in the test that really drove home the potential of this device, however.

Dolgoff switched us over to a live television broadcast. The converter software works exactly as it does with content pulled from a piece of physical media. Old-style 2D cartoons — such as an old Looney Tunes episode that we came across — don’t really convert, but any true video or CG animation does. A local high-school marching band’s performance stood out in particular, especially during long shots that took in the entire field. Same goes for Olympic soccer, which happened to be airing at the time. Given how few properly 3D broadcasts there are, the converter even makes a place for itself in 3DTV-equipped households.

The effect perhaps isn’t as pronounced as native 3D content that was actually shot with stereoscopic cameras. This is particularly true in the case of effects that seem to pop out of the screen. The converter does a brilliant job with depth, but the more gimmicky stuff really comes out more with content that was actually crafted for 3D. The converter can actually handle that too; send a 3D video signal through the box, and it will process it.

It’s software doing the heavy lifting, as Dolgoff explained. “It takes the two-dimensional input video signal and it looks at two frames at a time. It looks at brightness, contrast, color saturation, sharpness, position in the frame, because as the depth goes back, all of these things decrease. When you have motion, the occlusion of background objects by foreground objects also gives a lot of information,” he said, offering up a familiar example.

“If you’re looking out the window of a train, the phone poles are going the real fast, the buildings are going a little slower, the mountains are going real slow, and the moon isn’t moving at all. The The further back you are, the slower the motion. So all of these different factors are taken into account to create the stereo pair, and it’s done in a way that is consistent with the algorithms that we have in our brains, so when we look at it we can reconstruct the three-dimensional scene with accurate 3D information in it.”

Read more: http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/3d-pioneer-gene-dolgoff-shows-off-his-in-development-instant-3d-converter/#ixzz24zstdhCq
post #6 of 12 Old 08-30-2012, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the link but I still don't put much if any stock in journalists who demonstrate only a general understanding of tech with no apparent 3D expertise.

The number one issue is, we don't need this device to pull out 3D from 2D- our brain is far, far better at that. Dolgoff makes it sound like his machine works like our brain, when really its analytical capabilities are far more simple than that. Our brain can accurately identify objects, understand depth of field and motion parallax and occlusion, as well as other depth cues found in 2D content. Dolgoff's converter box will merely rely on overly basic cues like contrast and saturation and horizontal movement to dictate what it does, whereas the human brain knows those kinds of cues are nowhere near definitive and are often overridden by more absolute cues.

Get a 3D expert with no financial motives to endorse it and I'll know that realtime conversion is dramatically improving. But I still don't want anyone to call me until it's as good as even the worst postconversions.

My Videos

post #7 of 12 Old 10-19-2012, 02:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakefoo View Post

Thanks for the link but I still don't put much if any stock in journalists who demonstrate only a general understanding of tech with no apparent 3D expertise.
The number one issue is, we don't need this device to pull out 3D from 2D- our brain is far, far better at that. Dolgoff makes it sound like his machine works like our brain, when really its analytical capabilities are far more simple than that. Our brain can accurately identify objects, understand depth of field and motion parallax and occlusion, as well as other depth cues found in 2D content. Dolgoff's converter box will merely rely on overly basic cues like contrast and saturation and horizontal movement to dictate what it does, whereas the human brain knows those kinds of cues are nowhere near definitive and are often overridden by more absolute cues.
Get a 3D expert with no financial motives to endorse it and I'll know that realtime conversion is dramatically improving. But I still don't want anyone to call me until it's as good as even the worst postconversions.

I'd like this to work as Dolgoff claims it does and he certainly has the track record to pull it off... but like you I remain sceptical.

It seems all Dolgoff would have to do to answer the question is release some converted content in side-by-side format on youtube and let those of us that have 3D capable displays take a look. If it works, then we should be able to see how well it works without seeing it in person in NY. Sure, I won't be able to see it work on an old 480i CRT... but I think I will live.
post #8 of 12 Old 04-21-2013, 10:06 AM

is this a future investment, if so how do I invest to get the converter and when will I get one James Williams
post #9 of 12 Old 05-10-2013, 07:41 PM

Too late to get the initial units, but they plan on having another crowdfunding campaign for the final units. Here's what the inventor had to say:

Quote:
Hello, Fundable.com supporters!

I apologize for the long delay in providing an update and the sending out of rewards. We have had some challenges, which have caused some delays. Most significant was the repairing of damage, caused by Hurricane Sandy, which is just being finished now. T-shirts and mugs will eventually get to you (as soon as we can).

The good news is that we have made some progress with our local manufacturer and the design and building of the first prototype production models of our Instant 3-D™ converter are expected to be finished in about 6-8 weeks.

Since our Fundable.com product design contest didn’t yield a satisfactory design (according to our judging panel), the funds are going to the designers at our manufacturing firm (with the final design to be approved by our team). If we have multiple design options to choose from, we’ll send them to you for your opinion and vote.

In addition to funds raised from you through Fundable (which will pay for your units), to help pay for larger scale production, we are putting together a new campaign on another site to raise significantly more funding. The large world-wide exposure should allow us to fund production of a large number of product units for a large audience. This will help our company grow and get our converters out to more people like you.

I will keep you posted. Thank you for your patience and support.

Gene Dolgoff
CEO
post #10 of 12 Old 06-18-2013, 09:39 PM

there is a new project about this 3D Converter from Gene Dolgoff on Kickstarter.com

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1991665813/instant-3-d-your-games-in-real-3-d-on-your-2-d-and?ref=live
post #11 of 12 Old 06-19-2013, 12:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by holgeraachen View Post

there is a new project about this 3D Converter from Gene Dolgoff on Kickstarter.com

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1991665813/instant-3-d-your-games-in-real-3-d-on-your-2-d-and?ref=live
lol looks like a piece of crap

Not an actual photo? You mean those RCA/component cable ports aren't real?

And I bet the stereoscopic output looks like crap too. An $850k is insanely impossible unless he can deceive tens of thousands of people.

My Videos

post #12 of 12 Old 07-17-2013, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

$30k raised with 5 days left.

Most people have learned that 3D only works on movies that are carefully planned for it. Even on movies that spend months on the conversions and look like they were shot natively, the appeal of a 3D version hinges on the cinematography.

Plus, I really doubt this converter renders accurate 3D images at all. Until James Cameron or someone who's shot a critically acclaimed native 3D film praises it, this is all a big scam. I really despise these realtime converters and their shills.

My Videos

Reply 3D Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page