post #721 of 1142 Old 01-06-2013, 10:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tontondavid View Post

Yes!!!
That's all I can say after using my brand spankin new T2! I had the T1 for a year but sold it to be able to get the T2. I was VERY rarely able to get full focus on all four corners and had to be very still and very uncomfortable. I tried every possible combinations of different cushions and straps length but was never truly able to get a perfect in focus field!
After trying the T2 for a few minutes and adjusting very little, I had almost perfect focus in all corners and I'm pretty sure I can get all four corners in focus after more adjustments. This is 1000% better than the T1. Also, for some reason, on the T1, I had the impression of looking at a small screen right in front of my eyes. But with the T2, I truly feel like I'm in an IMAX theatre. Not sure if it is a placebo effect but I don't really care at this point.
I was so disappointed with the T1 that I was very skeptical about the T2 and almost did not buy it after reading this thread. I then decided to check it out myself at a sony store in Paris and was sold. I ordered mine from Japan since I live in the US and saw a reply from a Sony rep on some Sony thread that unfortunately, the T2 will not make it to the US! What a shame!
I will try to post more impressions as I get to use it more but overall, I'm super impressed with this T2!
Cheers!!
P.S.: I discovered that you may get a better result by actually adjusting the straps so that your eyes are as further away from the lenses as possible without getting blurry spots. Give it a try!

Can you tell us if you had modified your T1 to remove the coupling mechanism?

Is your impression that the improved focus of the T2 is due to the independent adjustment for each eye or to improved optics that yield a bigger sweet spot?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 1142 Old 01-06-2013, 11:38 PM

Still it's love/hate relationship with T2
Once put on - do not want to remove it to enjoy else i try to stay away from being tortured with it's forehead pad 'reddening' the spot where it touches the forehead - that happens after 30 min+ of watching movies on it i take a break of 15 min+ to get into action once again.
Sony has 'Mastered' the optics but the Frontal weight and ergonomics perfection is still a long way to go .
By the time HMZ lineup is perfect i think it will be in the leagues of usd$2000+ HMDs [professional 'startup' HMDs]

Ppl here talk about the Big headphones i do not know how they 'd use with T2 at all without getting headaches at all - i use the in-ear Sony mdr-e818lp headphones which i have attached it to T2 permanently [can be removed without changing warranty status]
refer here : http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=3&campId=5336904444&toolId=10001&customId=1kubcbg1fd6eb&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fitm%2FNEW-Sony-MDR-E818LP-Fontopia-Earbuds-Earpho-n-e-iPod-MP3-IPHONE-IPA-D-GALAXY-%2F280978841910%3Fpt%3DLH_DefaultDomain_0%26hash%3Ditem416ba4e136
post #723 of 1142 Old 01-07-2013, 07:04 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by crabnebula View Post

Can you tell us if you had modified your T1 to remove the coupling mechanism?
Is your impression that the improved focus of the T2 is due to the independent adjustment for each eye or to improved optics that yield a bigger sweet spot?
Thanks!

I did not uncouple my T1 as I knew that it wasn't my problem. My problem was that even at maximum width, I would get one side which was blurry about 1/3 from the end. As I mentioned, I had tried to adjust it without the front pad and without tightening it just to see if I could find a sweet spot but never did! I took a closer look at the specs on both units and to my surprise, both have the same maximum width so I have to assume that they did something with the optics. Also, I want to point out that I bought a second T1 when I couldn't get a sweet spot thinking that with some margin of error in manufacturing, I would get one of them to fit but unfortunately, both of them had the same issue!
I had the chance to watch 2 full movies uninterrupted since my last post and I am still very happy with the T2! I have adjusted it so there is very minimal adjustment once it is on. I only have to tighten the sides and that's it. With this proper adjustment, I barely even feel the pad pressure on my forehead for the first hour and then, I start to feel it but definitely not as bad as the T1 (mainly because I think it just fits better and I don't have the need to tighten it all the way since the sweet spot has actually some leeway incredibly!).

One last thing I wanted to share was that not only you need to adjust the head unit side to side and front to back BUT also (as I discovered recently) up and down with the fulcrum point being your ears! Try it, you'd be surprised by the difference it makes!
Next is to try PS3 and XBOX 360 games....so far I love my T2!

Cheers.
post #724 of 1142 Old 01-08-2013, 10:04 AM

hi david , is it like watching a large cinema screen or just like looking at a small screen ? and to any one else , the ones on ebay from japan are relay cheap .are they ok to buy ?
post #725 of 1142 Old 01-08-2013, 08:39 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by del15476 View Post

hi david , is it like watching a large cinema screen or just like looking at a small screen ? and to any one else , the ones on ebay from japan are relay cheap .are they ok to buy ?

As stated previously, in a dark environment (all lights off) it looks like a large projector screen. With light coming in the illusion is definitely broken.
post #726 of 1142 Old 01-09-2013, 07:25 AM

Hi! I'm looking into the HMZ-T2 because I travel 90+% of the time. Is it very portable or a bit too big to be thrown into a suitcase?
post #727 of 1142 Old 01-09-2013, 11:15 AM

am i right in thinking i am best paying the extra 300 bucks and get a hmzt2 or go for a second hand hmzt1 ? , still saving up for one !
post #728 of 1142 Old 01-09-2013, 01:36 PM

post #729 of 1142 Old 01-09-2013, 04:41 PM

Quote:

am i right in thinking i am best paying the extra 300 bucks and get a hmzt2 or go for a second hand hmzt1 ? , still saving up for one !

Go the HMZ-T2. The T1 is way to uncomfortable and the lack of independent focal adjustment means you may not get a perfect picture.
tontondavid likes this.
post #730 of 1142 Old 01-09-2013, 05:25 PM

Liked: 11
My ears regect in ear monitors, can't stand them.
I use a pair of big SONY MDR-V6, works beautifully.
post #731 of 1142 Old 01-09-2013, 08:12 PM

hey,
was wondering if anyone was playing Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 in 3d stereo on the HMZ ?
i have the xbox 360 version and looking at the FAQ's fromt he webite site it says
Quote:
"Xbox 360 users need a television that supports a “side by side” 3D mode"

will the xbox detect the HMZ as a capable 3d display then give me the option to turn it on (at on standard tv the option is greyed out) ?

any other xbox 360 games that do well in 3d. or any games for the MAC (highly unlikely im sure)
will be looking to upgrade system to relive some games in 3d stereo again.

cheers
post #732 of 1142 Old 01-10-2013, 04:46 AM

The HMZ supports side by side 3D.
post #733 of 1142 Old 01-10-2013, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickice View Post

The HMZ supports side by side 3D.
sweet cheers
post #734 of 1142 Old 01-10-2013, 07:38 AM

Quote:

It is a little bit difficult to describe and seeing it in person is much better obviously. But It has the illusion of a big screen unless you focalize on the sides where the light gets reflected, then it looks like you're watching a big screen through an opening but believe me, it is not as distracting as it sounds. Also, yes, it is safe to buy from JP, I got mine from ebay from a seller called Wink who is based in Akihabara which is basically gadget town of Tokyo. Shipping was super fast and I only paid $920 w/ shipping included. One of the lowest I've seen.

Cheers.
post #735 of 1142 Old 01-10-2013, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamdevo View Post

Go the HMZ-T2. The T1 is way to uncomfortable and the lack of independent focal adjustment means you may not get a perfect picture.

Agree!
post #736 of 1142 Old 01-10-2013, 09:12 PM

Titanic BD 3D
Impressions later.
post #737 of 1142 Old 01-11-2013, 01:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
We are still having problems with our Paypal and can't take orders. I am gonna call them yet again tomorrow and try hard to get this taken care of. Sorry to all those wanting to order. Please be patient.

3D items I own:

Sony 46" LX900 active 3D set

Sony HMZ-T3 (Cushion pads and light blocker mod)

LG LW6500 passive 3D set

PS3 & PS4

Sony BDP-S570 BD3D player

JVC-GS-TD1 (with Cyclopital base extender)

Fujifilm W3

Sony Alpha 55 (for 3D panoramic photos)

Quadcopter + Zenmuse and GoPro Hero 3 (Filming...

post #738 of 1142 Old 01-11-2013, 02:32 PM

If Sony steps their game up concerning Simulview and provides an update to authorize EXISTING 240 hz Bravia's... this unit is a deifnate possible purchase. What headaches should I know so that I can increase my over all viewer experience?

Pass it on... George Washington, and other patriots, didnt say 'just dont tell them our names.'

They stood in the face of CERTAIN death and said "We are the founders of America... we are not an anonymous group of obscurity and we WILL produce the greatest nation in the world!!!"
post #739 of 1142 Old 01-11-2013, 11:39 PM

almost threw up after a few games of COD Black Ops 2 !!!
still spinning out 1/2 hr after stopping...
was playing in 2d mode with some motion sickness, really loved the feel of it, was winning for a change,
then switched to 3d stereo and was way to out of focus and push me to near throwing point.
for the first few hours was almost regretting the purchase like any others have done before me here on the thread.
but after multiple tries and retries I found a decent comfortable spot and watched a few episodes of 'The Wire' and loved every moment of it.
post #740 of 1142 Old 01-12-2013, 05:47 AM

Ok, i grew tired of waiting a demo unit to show up in my local sony store, so i finally opened my wallet and bought one from Japan, will be here in 2-3 weeks. If i don't like it, i'll sell it on ebay, just like everyone else. I really had to try this and see for myself, as it seems it's absolutely impossible to make up my mind otherwise.

I hope the low resolution won't bother me too much. I need to convince my mind that it doesn't matter that much, since 4K resolution TVs were just announced at CES, so this 720P screen is already ancient tech, at least on paper, lol. tongue.gif
post #741 of 1142 Old 01-12-2013, 06:01 AM

Liked: 12
Tried the showroom model and have mixed feelings. Harry potter looked ok in 3D but without as much pop as on a 3D tv. The sweet spot was difficult to find but once there the image is pretty sharp. GT5 looked amazing with depth that made you feel you were there. I think this really requires you to fit the unit well. I did notice quite a lot of forehead pressure. So the experience was a mix of sublime to poor!!!
post #742 of 1142 Old 01-12-2013, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakingSonyDown View Post

If Sony steps their game up concerning Simulview and provides an update to authorize EXISTING 240 hz Bravia's... this unit is a deifnate possible purchase. What headaches should I know so that I can increase my over all viewer experience?

I simply refuse to be one of the people who have valid issue with a company but continue to support them after MANY times of being let down by purchasing their product(s). Thats simply crazy.. and being certified I should know!!!

Pass it on... George Washington, and other patriots, didnt say 'just dont tell them our names.'

They stood in the face of CERTAIN death and said "We are the founders of America... we are not an anonymous group of obscurity and we WILL produce the greatest nation in the world!!!"
post #743 of 1142 Old 01-12-2013, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG25 View Post

Regarding my previous post, i'm still trying to find out how it looks like when you use the HMZ in total darkness (or with the light blockers) and how bad is the tunnel vision that some report. I made 3 images, each of them with the screen occupying more of your view. Which one is closer to how you see the "cinema" screen with the HMZ?

Thanks!

Number 3 is the closest. It's actually a bit bigger than that though. For 2D contents the screen is huge, especially when fitted properly, in total darkness and you let your eyes relax. It's pretty close to your standard IMAX theater in the best seat.

What people haven't mention is that the screen appears quite far in front of you and it covers your main field of view. So the screen really feel gigantic given the illusion of distance. You really don't want the screen to be much wider than this for movies watching. For games sure but not for movies. Sure you don't get any peripheral vision, but you don't use your peripheral vision for movie watching anyway. Beside in total darkness your peripheral vision will be pitch black anyway.

For 3D contents, depending on how strong the 3D is, the screen appears closer to you thus feel smaller, the stronger the 3D, the closer the screen appears to you. In fact I was just testing this yesterday with God of War demo on PS3, where you can adjust the 3D strength and see the result at once, really weird. Anyway, I found this is true on any cinema I've been, when viewing 3D movies, the screen at the cinema even IMAX appears smaller, I don't know why, it just been my experience. So yeah if you're trying to judge the illusion of size of the screen of HMZ-T2, use 16:9 2D contents when trying it.

I hope this help.

I got the HMZ-T2 since launched and I've been using it for all my movies and games playing everyday. Really love this thing. I'm considering of getting a second pair. Did Sony announce HMZ-T3 at CES2013 ?

As far as comfort goes, after many trial of different settings, I found a comfortable setting for myself. I've wore it for 9+ hours straight on several occasions without any discomfort. The thing even turn off after 6 hours and gave out warning after 3 hours which is really annoying. This thing is more like wearing an open hat rather than a glasses or goggle. I can even wear it over my glasses, but typically the picture is sharp enough that I don't need my glasses.

My guess if your forehead hurts, you're wearing the HMZ-T2 too tight, need to adjust the rear straps and maybe the depth of the forehead pad some more. I made the same mistake earlier too. I wore it really tight that I can move my head around really fast without me losing the sweet spot. But with your head rested or still, it doesn't need to be on that tight.

You can even wear the thing laying down and it's quite comfortable too and in pitch black it feels like you're watching movie being projected into night sky, really awesome. One time, I fell a sleep with it on.

Picture is really nice, black level is really good on 2.4:1 material can't really see the different between screen and border. Sound was ok from the in-ear that comes with it, but better to use your HT setup. Highly recommended provided you can find a good fit with it. I didn't get a good fit when I was trying it out at Sony store, but bought it anyway. Took me about two weeks before I find the setting that works for me. So don't give up too soon on it.
DG25 likes this.
post #744 of 1142 Old 01-13-2013, 05:28 AM

A question for Bravia3D and those using his Cushion Pads: can back straps be adjusted after you put two small cushions on them? How do you usually put the padded HMZ on your head? Does adjusting take much time? I am using self-made elastic strap inspired by Bravia's Cushion Pads (TM), but every time I put HMZ-T2 on, it takes 20-30 min's to adjust everything properly, so that I get maximum focus and the thing doesn't slip off...
post #745 of 1142 Old 01-13-2013, 05:44 AM

If the forhead hurts use a sponge. Watched Beauty and the Beast extended edition with no issues and a beautiful stunning visual experience and audio experience with the SONY MDR-V6 headphones.
post #746 of 1142 Old 01-13-2013, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG4RiA View Post

I hope this help.
Thanks very much, just what i wanted to hear. smile.gif This gives me peace of mind until i get my hmz, in a couple of weeks.

Btw, did you tried different headphones with it? Full headphones...

ps: i kept a close eye on CES2013 and no, Sony didn't said anything about a new HMZ version. My guess is, if they have something, they will announce it at E3, along with the new PS4 console.
post #747 of 1142 Old 01-13-2013, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Ifa 2013 they might show a t3 cool.gif hoping for 1080p and a lighter unit with better optics without the annoying tunnel effect
post #748 of 1142 Old 01-13-2013, 02:59 PM

I really don't mind the 720P, with the clarity I see you'd think you were seeing 1080p, lol.
I want to see a ski mask type unit with a T3, more universal and better straps.

I'd love to lend my T2 to my family but it cost me 1k and well its fragile xD.
post #749 of 1142 Old 01-14-2013, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

3stun, it's better to adjust the back straps before putting on the cushion pads. However, they can slide outa the way for adjusting and easily can be taken off with velcro for the T2 model.

The T1 cushion pads slide on and can't be removed so easily.

3D items I own:

LG LW6500 passive 3D set

PS3 & PS4

Fujifilm W3

post #750 of 1142 Old 01-15-2013, 12:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Good news, our PayPal account is backup and working. Finally we can take orders again! Sorry to all those that have been waiting, I sent emails to all that had tried but couldn't pay.

We are quite behind on orders though due to the holidays, we got so many before Christmas it was unreal and trying to get all taken care of. Sorry for those still waiting on your order, but don't worry we will get you take care of.biggrin.gif

I am also working on my new movie coming out in Feb that should look amazing on the HMZ, as I filmed it wearing the HMZ-T2! It is a macro flower movie which will feature some amazing depth shots and the super close up's of some colorful flowers and bugs.cool.gif

3D items I own:

LG LW6500 passive 3D set

PS3 & PS4

Fujifilm W3

Reply 3D Displays

Tags
Sony , 3d Hdtv

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page