post #1051 of 1138 Old 07-23-2013, 12:52 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by andersos View Post

No rumours of T3? I think my T1 is dying and I wonder if I should hold off buying a T2.

The T3 could look like a cheaper version of this:

http://www.engadget.com/2013/07/23/sony-surgical-3d-head-mounted-display/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1052 of 1138 Old 07-23-2013, 01:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Better design on that than the lumpy t1-t2 if sony makes a t3 with a higher resolution 2k or "dreaming" 4k ill jumping back in again ... they should copy zeizz design on the glasses n dropp the helmet look cool.gif
post #1053 of 1138 Old 07-23-2013, 11:55 PM

I've had mine a while now, I wanted it all to be easy to do. I run them through my PC, I also use power DVD 11 but don't actually use it.

The easiest way was to buy Nvidia 3DPlay, I open it and drag any 3D movie into the player and it just works, I have a NVid 670 card

Interestingly enough I watch for 3 hours at time with no problems and I'm 57 (no glasses)

My RFactor/ Star Trek games just work

My friend has a new $8000.00 JVC 3D projector and this little headset beats it hands down for 3D personal viewing, simply amazing.

Putting it on your head is opposite logic, If you get it tight then back off a fraction again it all becomes easy and comphy (old ppl need comfort ) I could watch all day really, the trick is to relax and relax the eyes.

I'd like to mention what you see and how good they are.

They are GOOD, very good, it really is for me like being 15 rows back at the movies, I'm not easily impressed, this is impressive, if you own these and your not impressed then you have something set up wrong.

I think it looks better than at the movies, take men in black 3D, the colours are more vivid, no pixels and adjustable depths of field, I do wonded how long they will last
post #1054 of 1138 Old 07-24-2013, 12:36 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckong View Post

The T3 could look like a cheaper version of this:

http://www.engadget.com/2013/07/23/sony-surgical-3d-head-mounted-display/

That even looks comfortable. Waiting a bit to see if they make a T3 then.
post #1055 of 1138 Old 07-26-2013, 12:09 PM

Thanks a lot Pits... I Downloaded the trial version of nvidia 3dtvplay and it worked wonderful for me. Now I could watch 3d bluray iso files.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pits View Post

I've had mine a while now, I wanted it all to be easy to do. I run them through my PC, I also use power DVD 11 but don't actually use it.

The easiest way was to buy Nvidia 3DPlay, I open it and drag any 3D movie into the player and it just works, I have a NVid 670 card

Interestingly enough I watch for 3 hours at time with no problems and I'm 57 (no glasses)

My RFactor/ Star Trek games just work

My friend has a new $8000.00 JVC 3D projector and this little headset beats it hands down for 3D personal viewing, simply amazing.

Putting it on your head is opposite logic, If you get it tight then back off a fraction again it all becomes easy and comphy (old ppl need comfort ) I could watch all day really, the trick is to relax and relax the eyes.

I'd like to mention what you see and how good they are.

They are GOOD, very good, it really is for me like being 15 rows back at the movies, I'm not easily impressed, this is impressive, if you own these and your not impressed then you have something set up wrong.

I think it looks better than at the movies, take men in black 3D, the colours are more vivid, no pixels and adjustable depths of field, I do wonded how long they will last
post #1056 of 1138 Old 07-27-2013, 07:09 PM

OOO this is exciting I never thought of Blue Rays, I'm now trying to get 2D to 3D going (like the old but brilliant e-dimensional 3D glasses on DLP) interestingly enough the movie Oblivion standard 2D works in 3D, not the actual 3D version.

I started thinking any movie at 720P may convert but it's not working out that way, stereoscopic just hurts and a lazy framerate again just hurts even more so now looking into this whole 2D to 3D conversion thing. I own a couple of Panasonic PT900A's that run 720P and a Panasonic PT-AE2000E full HD and I'd say the picture quality is even better on these little sony's.

I think there's a lot more can be done with the Sony's, we just need a Geek to figure it all out.
post #1057 of 1138 Old 07-28-2013, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
With Sony's new 4k TV's out I also hope they make a T3 with 4K resolution.

3D items I own:

Sony 46" LX900 active 3D set

Sony HMZ-T3 (Cushion pads and light blocker mod)

LG LW6500 passive 3D set

PS3 & PS4

Sony BDP-S570 BD3D player

JVC-GS-TD1 (with Cyclopital base extender)

Fujifilm W3

Sony Alpha 55 (for 3D panoramic photos)

Quadcopter + Zenmuse and GoPro Hero 3 (Filming...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #1058 of 1138 Old 07-28-2013, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravia3D View Post

With Sony's new 4k TV's out I also hope they make a T3 with 4K resolution.

Not going to happen. If the t3 is coming, its 1080p at most. They try to keep this as cheap as possible.
post #1059 of 1138 Old 07-28-2013, 08:11 PM

Hi , I read alot of reviews but I am still lost which is better HMZ T1 OR HMZ T2?
The only thing that matter to me is the picture quality, resolution and 3D
So please help
Thanks in advance
post #1060 of 1138 Old 07-28-2013, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minawahid View Post

Hi , I read alot of reviews but I am still lost which is better HMZ T1 OR HMZ T2?
The only thing that matter to me is the picture quality, resolution and 3D
So please help
Thanks in advance

Hmz-t2 is overall better, i have both. Picture quality seems equal, but hmz-t2 stock design is more comfortable. Also with T2 you can adjust both eyes individually, which helps to achieve better focus. You can do this with T1 also, but you need to disassemble it and remove "gear wheel" that syncs both lenses.

BUT to me, the stock design of hmz-t2 is still far too uncomfortable and i would not recommend to buy one if you are not willing to modify it for better comfort. That is just my opinion, many people have been satisfied with the stock design.
minawahid likes this.
post #1061 of 1138 Old 07-29-2013, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perkele View Post

Hmz-t2 is overall better, i have both. Picture quality seems equal, but hmz-t2 stock design is more comfortable. Also with T2 you can adjust both eyes individually, which helps to achieve better focus. You can do this with T1 also, but you need to disassemble it and remove "gear wheel" that syncs both lenses.

BUT to me, the stock design of hmz-t2 is still far too uncomfortable and i would not recommend to buy one if you are not willing to modify it for better comfort. That is just my opinion, many people have been satisfied with the stock design.

Thanksss aloot for the advice I will order HMZ T2 as u said
But i want to ask as regards the 3D content , can I play side by side movies and 3D Iso movies on it ?
post #1062 of 1138 Old 07-29-2013, 01:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:

But i want to ask as regards the 3D content , can I play side by side movies and 3D Iso movies on it ?
Why not?
I have tested SBS...no problem
minawahid likes this.
post #1063 of 1138 Old 07-29-2013, 01:40 AM

Quote:

Yes you can watch 3d content. Side by side and top/bottom is selectable through menu. Im using nvidia 3dtv play to watch movies and play games. Or just plug sony directly to your 3d blu-ray player.
minawahid likes this.
post #1064 of 1138 Old 07-29-2013, 03:56 AM

Yeah I am waiting to enjoy it with Xbox smile.gif
Thanks Very much for your help , I appreciate it smile.gif
post #1065 of 1138 Old 07-29-2013, 12:38 PM

Hey , sorry I have another question
As regards HMZ T2 as it has no built in headphones , does its output quality is the same as the HMZ T1 Headphones ?? I mean does it also output surround sound quality
post #1066 of 1138 Old 07-29-2013, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 27
The T2 does come with headphones. They are just detachable. They are adequate but you can get better sound with the headphones of your choice.

I personally felt that the T1 had a much more convincing reverb that simulated the echos of a small theater.
minawahid likes this.

Robert Clark
post #1067 of 1138 Old 07-29-2013, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Clark View Post

The T2 does come with headphones. They are just detachable. They are adequate but you can get better sound with the headphones of your choice.

I personally felt that the T1 had a much more convincing reverb that simulated the echos of a small theater.
That's Ok
Does the 3D player that should be attached to it must be ( Sony ) or can I use any 3D player or Xbox for example ?
post #1068 of 1138 Old 07-29-2013, 10:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Any 3d player. smile.gif Though I have only tried Directv and a PS3.

Robert Clark
post #1069 of 1138 Old 08-01-2013, 03:59 PM

Hey I have a question.

I really wanted to figure out a way to be able to split my HMZ-T2's display with another screen so someone could see what the wearer was doing while the HMZ is being used.

I keep seeing Rift users do this no problem.. but that's because the rift is not a true stereo device and just another monitor so it's easy to clone with a regular monitor.. you send it SBS content and it knows what to do with it.

I went and bought a 3D-ready HDMI splitter thinking that would solve my problem.

First I tried feeding the HDMI splitter to both my HMZ-T2 and a 2D Projector. My computer only ever mentionned the Epson projector even though it is feeding the image fine to the HMZ.. but the HMZ doesn't go into 3D mode and I can't enable 3DTV Play via the Nvidia Control Panel.

Also the HDMI splitter doesn't force both displays into 720p.. instead it stays in 1080 and I guess it sends 1080i to the HMZ.

I also tried lowering the resolution to 720p but I still couldn't detect the HMZ or send a 3D hdmi signal to it... Nvidia just wouldn't detect/activate.

I then tried using the HDMI splitter with my Acer HN27H.. I figure maybe both devices need to be 3D in order for it to work. But I still couldn't get it working. Hell I couldn't even activate 3D on the monitor now!

I'm really at a loss of what I need to do to get this working... My Acer was in 120hz mode.. maybe I need to take it down to 60hz? I've never actually done 3D on that monitor via hdmi.. always used dual link DVI before so not familiar with the differences of how to use 3D when going with HDMI.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
post #1070 of 1138 Old 08-01-2013, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by vesper8 View Post

Hey I have a question.

I really wanted to figure out a way to be able to split my HMZ-T2's display with another screen so someone could see what the wearer was doing while the HMZ is being used.

I keep seeing Rift users do this no problem.. but that's because the rift is not a true stereo device and just another monitor so it's easy to clone with a regular monitor.. you send it SBS content and it knows what to do with it.

I went and bought a 3D-ready HDMI splitter thinking that would solve my problem.

First I tried feeding the HDMI splitter to both my HMZ-T2 and a 2D Projector. My computer only ever mentionned the Epson projector even though it is feeding the image fine to the HMZ.. but the HMZ doesn't go into 3D mode and I can't enable 3DTV Play via the Nvidia Control Panel.

Also the HDMI splitter doesn't force both displays into 720p.. instead it stays in 1080 and I guess it sends 1080i to the HMZ.

I also tried lowering the resolution to 720p but I still couldn't detect the HMZ or send a 3D hdmi signal to it... Nvidia just wouldn't detect/activate.

I then tried using the HDMI splitter with my Acer HN27H.. I figure maybe both devices need to be 3D in order for it to work. But I still couldn't get it working. Hell I couldn't even activate 3D on the monitor now!

I'm really at a loss of what I need to do to get this working... My Acer was in 120hz mode.. maybe I need to take it down to 60hz? I've never actually done 3D on that monitor via hdmi.. always used dual link DVI before so not familiar with the differences of how to use 3D when going with HDMI.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Use a hdmi splitter
post #1071 of 1138 Old 08-01-2013, 09:29 PM

Let me get this straight, you are just trying to clone displays WITH PC? It should work without a hitch. I have 3 displays now connected to my 780, hmz-t1, benq 144hz monitor and a projector in hmz passthrough. Usually when i game on sony i have cloned benq and sony(1080p or 720p at 60hz), works just fine. You need a hdmi splitter if you want 2 pictures out of a blu-ray player or game console for example. In 3d mode, i havent tried to clone with my benq since it does not support 720p 3d for some odd reason.

I cant clone projector and hmz for now, because i have plugged pj in hmz processing unit passthrough.

edit: i just tested 3d in duplicate mode. Works fine, monitor just shows 2d image. I used 720p @ 60hz, nvidia control panel had 3dtv play option.
post #1072 of 1138 Old 08-08-2013, 03:01 PM

Liked: 12
Has someone with a T2 already opened the control box?
I'd like to get one and modify it with a battery power supply. I have opened a friends' T1 box and noticed that the power supply board gives a very simple single 5.6V supply to the mainboard, so no problem for me to throw it out and replace it with a battery and regulator. It would be cool if someone could confirm the T2's box is identical in that regard.

Pretty easy to check, the T1 has a marking on the supply connector:

If it's the same it's great, because not only I could make it portable easily, but I could also take advantage of the cheap units found on ebay but that have 100V AC supplies.

Also, has someone successfully used a composite AV->HDMI adapter and could recommend one?
My friend's T1 won't work with any of the 2 converters he got frown.gif
post #1073 of 1138 Old 08-08-2013, 03:45 PM

I am interested in your 5vdc power supply finding and the conposite to hdmi converter. I was considering using T2 for FPV goggles if you are familiar with such activity.smile.gif
post #1074 of 1138 Old 08-09-2013, 01:27 AM

Yes that is exactly my usage case smile.gif
I'm still using my good old Glasstron PLM-S700, and the T1/2 are the first I've tried in the past 10 years that are actually better smile.gif

For now I can confirm the T1 work with a 5.1V UBEC as a power supply. Would still be nice to get confirmation of the marking by someone with a T2 before I shell out $700 smile.gif
post #1075 of 1138 Old 08-09-2013, 09:05 AM

Can you post which composite to HDMI converters did not work.? It would be a real deal breaker if the Sony is too fussy about how compliant the HDMI must be.
post #1076 of 1138 Old 08-09-2013, 11:30 AM

These 2:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-Composite-RCA-CVBS-AV-to-HDMI-Converter-Adapter-Upscaler-For-VCR-DVD-720P-/350839941630?pt=US_Video_Cables_Adapters&hash=item51afb0a9fe

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AV-Audio-Video-Composite-Upscan-to-1080P-HD-HDMI-Converter-Adapter-PAL-NTSC-/251181574150?pt=US_Video_Cables_Adapters&hash=item3a7b96a806

(probably not the actual listings, but identical looking ones)

They are both switchable between 720p and 1080p, and with both the T1 does the same ("no signal" in one mode, " unsupported signal" in the other, no idea which leads to which though)
post #1077 of 1138 Old 08-10-2013, 01:13 AM

OK, seems like I'll be able to answer my own questions soon...

Found a used-but-as-new T2 for sale locally, for cheaper than the Japanese units, with the right power supply and still under warranty. Picking it up this afternoon.
post #1078 of 1138 Old 08-11-2013, 04:09 AM

OK, so...
Got it, confirmed the power supply is identical, original PSU replaced with a DC-DC converter that will take anything up to 35V as input.

It still doesn't like the AV -> HDMI converters I have access to at this point, I ordered another "smarter" one to try. Really can't get around that as I could not get any of my 5 other HDMI displays to fail with those converters, and I can't get the T2 to fail with any of my other HDMI sources... weird.

I then watched a 30min movie from my pc, and found that I didn't really like the ergonomics... While the picture quality is truly excellent and by far the best I've ever seen in an HMD, my eyes were getting a bit tired from having to look upwards into the visor... maybe it's jsut my eyes that have a "neutral position" a bit low, but I don't remember that happening with any other HMD.

So I then went just a little bit further than what I had planned, and started taking the HMD apart as well. A ton of screws later (but nothing too complicated) I had the display block out (the 2 display units, IPD adjustment mount and controller board conveniently form a single piece).
I just tried attaching the block to my FPV "hood" (a black T-shirt sewn to a cap, which I usually put on my head over my other HMD's to block light) with 2 screws to see if there was a remote chance of getting the display unit properly aligned that way. Turns out that apart from it being about 1cm too far aligment was perfect, so I made 2 new holes to mount it closer. And... I now have a perfectly fitting and less bulky HMD smile.gif

Next step is to mount a head tracker onto the cap as well smile.gif
joe4mg likes this.
post #1079 of 1138 Old 08-12-2013, 08:38 PM

well, so far you are my hero smile.gif I just picked one up off Ebay tonight. The dc-dc converter looks good. Removing the original visor was a gutsy move but way too cool... How delicate does the internal wiring look? I hope it is rugged enough for use out in the field.. I purchased a converter-- GEFEN SCALER... LIKE THIS I hope the H2 will work with it. I guess its a shot in the dark for now.. Anyway keep up the great work...
post #1080 of 1138 Old 08-13-2013, 12:16 AM

I'm still not so sure taking the headset apart was a good idea, but everything I did is fully reversible and should not leave a trace. I have watched about 2x 1hr of videos with it since and didn't experience the eyestrain I had with the original set, but I really didn't test for very long with the headset so maybe it was just me... I'll try my friend's T1 for some time again when I get a chance and decide whether I put it back in or if I was right.

The wires and plugs for the little audio jack PCB, the "headset is being worn" sensor and the front LED are insanely fine and fragile, but once you've been careful enough to unplug them you don't need to worry about them anymore (I left all these things in the original headset, and put a little removeable metal piece in the detector plug to short it). The main video cable is very robust, it has the same plug in the headset than on the processor unit side. The one thing that needs to be well protected is the fragile flat cable for the buttons.

The DC-DC converter looks good but it's a little too weak to my liking... supposed to be a 3A design but I find it heats up a lot, and tends to shut down quite early when the input voltage sags, or do weird things like powering the headset fine if I use the battery from full to empty, but not wanting to restart if I turn it off mid way and try to turn it on again (controller tries to turn on, but shots off again). I don't want to risk damaging the T2 with bad power so took it out for now.
I ordered a Castle Creations BEC unit that also has programmable output so I can set it at 5.6V, and it should be good for 7A. I intend to power the HDMI converter and video receiver with it too, those will be velcro'd on the controller box with neat wiring once in final configuration.
I've also put the original PSU back in after confirming it didn't have trouble with voltage being present at its output when it's not powered, I'll put the BEC in parallel so I'll be able to just plug the mains cord in when at home and use the battery when at the field without difficulties.

That's a big and expensive converter you got - seen that one but dismissed it for now, both my friend and I ordered other different $50 converters (http://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/254552581.html for me, http://www.ebay.com/itm/RCA-Composite-S-video-Audio-Video-AV-To-HDMI-Scaler-Converter-Switch-Box-/190699548829?pt=US_Video_Cables_Adapters&hash=item2c6694309d for him). Hopefully one of these works, but if it really takes yours then we'll go with it... at least we'll have tried 5 different units by then smile.gif

It will be a bulky setup which I usually don't like, but if there can be a single unit with the controller box, HDMI converter, receiver, battery where I just need to plug the headset cable and turn on it will be acceptable. I've tried so many setups from the AIO goggles with integrated receiver and headtracker where just a single cable to the radio was enough for power and headtracker signal to my bulky PLM-S700 through Fatshark goggles with receiver taped on them... But always found the all in one or "convenient" solutions to lack on some aspect. For example the AIOs have a pretty good picture but the headtracker is bad, their receiver is not that sensitive, and adding external ones would remove the advantage. So if you have to do that, why not just take the by-then-best S700s, and I made myself a "pack" as well smile.gif

Oh and by the way, the open source head tracker has been added to my cap, and I've done a first flight using an Acer W700 + USB capture device as "HDMI converter" yesterday, with a "safe" platform for now (Naza-based quad) as I don't like PCs in the critical chain. The image in the T2 is insanely huge, not only the FOV is great but I was using a GoPro which outputs a letterboxed image, which with usual FPV goggles makes you lose screen real estate - but the T2 has the big advantage of having a "zoom" mode to crop the bars out smile.gifsmile.gif
The downside is that the displayed image is rather low resolution, at least with a GoPro. I tried a few things on the bench, notably the GoPro and another small HD camera of mine, both output rather "blocky" video when blown up that big. Taking a good old fashioned DV camera's output through the same chain looks much better, so I guess camera choice will be important for the best experience. 4/3 image still looks great and big. But the HDMI converter will have some influence there too, so let's wait...
Reply 3D Displays

Tags
Sony , 3d Hdtv

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page