Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 09-25-2012, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi there.

My use for 3D on my 67a750 is strictly for 3D PC Gaming.

I have a Windows 7 PC with a GTX 670 video card. Do all I need to buy is a NVIDIA 3D Kit to do 3D PC gaming? Not interested in 3D movies, TV etc.

Thanks

Every man is my superior, in that I may learn from him.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 09-26-2012, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Guess I'll have to take a gamble. Posted on several forums with no reply.

post #3 of 17 Old 09-27-2012, 05:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 59
For any 3D TV, all you need is Nvidia's 3D TV Play.
post #4 of 17 Old 09-27-2012, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Bought the kit and downloaded a trial version of the software but no dice. Can't access the 3D options at all on my Samsung.

Emitter is plugged into TV and PC. PC video is to HDMI3 on TV which is labelled as PC.

post #5 of 17 Old 09-27-2012, 07:37 PM
Advanced Member

Unfortunately you didn't need the 3D Vision kit at all, all you need is the $40 3D TV Play download. I'm not sure exactly what the problem is, but it sounds like you're trying to use the Nvidia glasses and emitter, when you need to be using only the TV's glasses. The Nvidia glasses/emitter are meant for certified monitors/projectors. With a 3D TV, all the PC needs to do to put out a 3D signal. The TV, not the PC, handles the glasses.

EDIT: Actually, I see your Samsung is a DLP rear projection TV? In which case, it might require an adapter as well to act like a 3D TV if you don't already have one.
post #6 of 17 Old 09-27-2012, 10:32 PM

I don't get it. I was under impression that I only need a 3D TV, 3d glasses (It'll be either sammy 6710 or Philips 5507 in my case) and to activate the 3d option in the game?
So we need some dedicated software as well for outputting 3d signal for gaming?

thanks.
post #7 of 17 Old 09-27-2012, 11:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marklari View Post

So we need some dedicated software as well for outputting 3d signal for gaming?
thanks.

If you have an Nvidia card, you need Nvidia 3D TV Play.
If you have an AMD card, a small selection of games support 3D with no special software, but for everything else you need Tridef DDD.
post #8 of 17 Old 09-28-2012, 12:03 AM

So basically the signal goes thrue this software and is "changed". Does this affect performance or is there some problems involved?
I have GTX570 and play on 1080p resolution. I play FPSs.

I don't like having this kind of software's cos It's one more link in a chain where problems could occur. basically me using 3d in games/movies is what is pointing me toward getting sammy 6710 and not Philips 5507 cos with sammy you get goggles and with Philips you don't.

cheers.
post #9 of 17 Old 09-28-2012, 12:18 AM
Advanced Member

In the case of Nvidia, the "software" is just the driver itself, and it render games natively in 3D. It's not that there's any conversion going in. However, as rendering twice as many images, there is necessarily a performance drop. Also due to bandwidth limitations of HDMI, you're limited to 720p at 60fps or 1080p and 24fps. There can be some problems in games where elements don't render correctly in 3D. Sometimes user mods fix these issues.
post #10 of 17 Old 09-28-2012, 12:30 AM

Whou, I can’t play on 1080p resolution above 24FPSs?? The game will be limited by maybe VSYNC?? There’s no way I’m gaming on a resolution different than 1080 wich is my native one, at least for now that my GPU is more than enough to run everything maxed out.
If it is so, that’s the 3d killer for me. Please confirm this for me and this afternoon I’ll decide finally to get 6710 or 5507.
I knew there’s a catch to all this 3d gaming stuff. It’s not worth it if the above statements are correct.

Thank you for all the info.
post #11 of 17 Old 09-28-2012, 01:31 AM
Advanced Member

The limit isn't vsync, or the PC, it's just that the current version of HDMI can't pass that much video data. It's too bad, but that said, 720p 3D is nothing to scoff at, and quite unlike 720p 2D. Afterall, you're seeing two different 720p images at once, each with a unique view of the scene. Personally I think 720p 3D is much better than 1080p 2D, but it does come down to personal taste as they each have their advantages. 1080p 2D offers more fine detail thanks to the smaller pixels. 720p 3D offers more unique details, as each eye is getting details that the other eye can't. And, obviously, it's 3D instead of 2D, which is an improvement besides all that. In any case, they're both roughly the same number of pixels, 1080p 2D is 2 million pixels, 720p 3D is two different 1 million pixel images.

1080p 3D does exist though, you just can't get it yet on a standard 3D TV. There are computer monitors that allow that resolution (by using dual DVI instead of HDMI).
post #12 of 17 Old 09-30-2012, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Airion - thanks for your responses. I have done a lot of reading here and have had no luck finding out what I needed to do just 3D PC gaming.

So does the Nvidia software allow you to send a checkerboard pattern to my TV or is that game software dependent? Or do I need an adapter such as the HDA-1 to do that?

post #13 of 17 Old 10-01-2012, 12:11 AM
Advanced Member

Nvidia 3D TV Play doesn't support checkerboard. I've heard there's a hack out there to enable it somehow, but basically, no. I'm pretty sure you would need the HDA-1 adapter for your TV.
post #14 of 17 Old 10-12-2012, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou Sytsma View Post

Hi there.
My use for 3D on my 67a750 is strictly for 3D PC Gaming.
I have a Windows 7 PC with a GTX 670 video card. Do all I need to buy is a NVIDIA 3D Kit to do 3D PC gaming? Not interested in 3D movies, TV etc.
Thanks

I have the Samsung HL61A750 and an HTPC with Nvidia GPU and 3D vision kit, all have to do is load a game up and works perfect (in checkerboard ) no need for 3Dtv play or anything else, just the latest NVidia drivers. when you install the drivers run through the 3D set-up it might not let you pick your DLP for your display but pick red and cyan as your viewing mode, that's ok just continue with set-up, when its done go to your desktop right click select NVidia control panel select stereoscopic 3D on the left side then select set up stereoscopic 3D check the box enable stereoscopic 3D then under Stereoscopic 3D display type select Generic 3D DLP HDTV and hit apply at the bottom. Hope that helps, good luck, peace. DLP is the only way to go!
post #15 of 17 Old 02-04-2013, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Shotgub10111 - thanks for your reply and apologize for the tardiness of mine - holidays and work and at that. smile.gif

Through reading other threads here I have learned that for my TV it is better to go with DLP LINK style glasses over IR because DLP LINK is always on.

I was fortunate enough to find a seller on ebay who has the highly regarded Optoma 201s for sale at roughly $30 a pair. Just ordered 2 pairs of these today. Once they arrive I will test them with my Panasonic DMP-BDT210 and 3D Blurays movie first.

Once that is settled I will give 3D PC gaming another shot.

Hope to get PC 3D gaming to work because gaming in 3D with my PS3 on the Sony 3D Playstation display is a blast.

post #16 of 17 Old 02-05-2013, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

While I wait for my glasses to arrive I tested out hooking up my BluRay player and PC to the HDMI/DVI connector on my Samsung to see if I could get the TV's 3D options enabled.

Success on both counts! smile.gif

I'm pretty sure 3D movies will work fine. 3D PC gaming remains questionable but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

post #17 of 17 Old 02-23-2013, 12:30 AM

The 201s arrive and I watched Avengers in 3D. It looked fantastic especially for a post conversion job. The glasses are great - nice and light - and fit over my regular glasses with no problem.

I'll tackle getting my games to run in 3D on the TV over the weekend as time permits.
Reply 3D Displays

Tags
3d Hdtv , Nvidia , Samsung

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page