The 3D on my new Vizio E3D470VX is blurry, can't watch 3D.. any help? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 10-12-2012, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,

Just hooked up my new 3D TV (Vizio E3D470VX). I went on demand (I have FIOS) and put on 2 different movies and tried several different glasses I bought.

The 2D content is great, but when trying to watch 3D it is blurry in that you can't even see with the glasses on to make out words.

I am using the Mediabridge Ultra Series High Speed HDMI Cable Category 2 Certified - Supports 3D and Audio Return Channel

Anyone have any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 10-12-2012, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
Did you buy active or passive glasses? Your Vizio won't work with active glasses, only polarized ones like the ones you get at the theater.

Steve S.
post #3 of 11 Old 10-13-2012, 06:35 AM - Thread Starter

They are the passive glasses. I am aware of that.
post #4 of 11 Old 10-13-2012, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
OK. Have you been able to see passive 3D (Vizio or LG LED are passive, most others are active) in any store demos without having this problem? The reason I ask is that there is a significant percentage of people that just can't view 3D. If you've seen it in demos and it hasn't had this defect then you are not one of these people and have a problem with your set or it's configuration/compatibility with your FIOS box. I think Vizios have a provision for manually selecting the proper 3D format for the incoming signal--side by side, top/bottom, etc. Try changing these settings if you can find them (might have to check the owner's manual). I'm not sure about FIOS but DirecTV uses the side-by-side format for it's 3D (Blu Ray uses something called "frame packing".)

There also should be a setting for the degree of 3D effect displayed by the set which can, if set wrong, produce a lot of ghosting but usually not to the degree you're experiencing.

Finally, it might be a good idea to get a 3D Blu Ray player and a recent release 3D disc and see if the problem still occurs. If you're intending to stick with 3D even if you return the Vizio you'll want a 3D bd player anyway so it's not a waste of money.

I have an LG passive set, PS3, and DirecTV and the 3D from Blu Ray is significantly better than that on DirecTV.

Steve S.
post #5 of 11 Old 10-13-2012, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post

OK. Have you been able to see passive 3D (Vizio or LG LED are passive, most others are active) in any store demos without having this problem? The reason I ask is that there is a significant percentage of people that just can't view 3D. If you've seen it in demos and it hasn't had this defect then you are not one of these people and have a problem with your set or it's configuration/compatibility with your FIOS box. I think Vizios have a provision for manually selecting the proper 3D format for the incoming signal--side by side, top/bottom, etc. Try changing these settings if you can find them (might have to check the owner's manual). I'm not sure about FIOS but DirecTV uses the side-by-side format for it's 3D (Blu Ray uses something called "frame packing".)
There also should be a setting for the degree of 3D effect displayed by the set which can, if set wrong, produce a lot of ghosting but usually not to the degree you're experiencing.
Finally, it might be a good idea to get a 3D Blu Ray player and a recent release 3D disc and see if the problem still occurs. If you're intending to stick with 3D even if you return the Vizio you'll want a 3D bd player anyway so it's not a waste of money.
I have an LG passive set, PS3, and DirecTV and the 3D from Blu Ray is significantly better than that on DirecTV.

I can view 3D, I have seen it at the store, theater etc. Also 3 other people recognize the same problem at my house.

Bit of an update. ESPN 3D works... the 3D looks normal... its the on demand 3D movies on fios that caused the issue.

I do not have a 3D blu ray to put in so I can't test out the DVD... does Redbox rent 3d movies, or do I have to buy from walmart, best buy, etc?

I do know what you mean about SBS and TOP/Bottom... the side by side is what works.

I have the Sony BDP-S590 3D Blu-ray Disc Player with Wi-Fi - has awesome reviews and is only $105 shipped on Amazon... I updated the firmware and everything, I just need a 3D movie.. this will decide if its broken or not I suppose.

I do not see the setting for degree of 3D anywhere, not sure if this vizio has it?

Thanks for your reply!
post #6 of 11 Old 10-13-2012, 02:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I have the same TV. For our TV the best format is Sensio3D, then ToB (top over bottom) and last SBS (Side by Side). Cox in my area has some nice demo for TV in ToB format.
But they need to be selected depending of the source format. If source is SBS, you have no choice but to select that mode. That mode will result in 1/4 resolution compared to a HD movie.
post #7 of 11 Old 10-13-2012, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoNic67 View Post

I have the same TV. For our TV the best format is Sensio3D, then ToB (top over bottom) and last SBS (Side by Side). Cox in my area has some nice demo for TV in ToB format.
But they need to be selected depending of the source format. If source is SBS, you have no choice but to select that mode. That mode will result in 1/4 resolution compared to a HD movie.

Are you talking with a 3d blu ray in?

Do you have other options for watching on demand?

On the on demand with FIOS, it isn't watchable... I need to get a 3D blu ray to try it
post #8 of 11 Old 10-14-2012, 03:16 AM

Liked: 11
Try the you tube 3D channel also for demo content
post #9 of 11 Old 10-14-2012, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcamm1966 View Post

Try the you tube 3D channel also for demo content

The 3D on the youtube channel works as well.

I still need to get a 3D blu ray but so far ESPN 3D channel and the youtube works... the only issue I had was the on demand with FIOS... it won't come in clear.. its both (with glasses on AND off) the same blurry double/ghosted picture...
post #10 of 11 Old 11-10-2012, 05:23 PM

Hi

I have the Vizio E3D320VX the 32 Inch version. On Fios the only 3D movies are HBO & Stars which are shown SBS.
Espn 3D is shown Top/ Bottom. Vizio 3D TV has to be switch manually by remote from 2D to 3D either SBS, T/B or Sensio. I have no problem with Fios and my Vizio.

JohnnyJT cool.gif
post #11 of 11 Old 11-11-2012, 02:19 AM

Liked: 11
I run xbmc with all my 3d movies on a external HDD, go from laptop to( Vizio )hdmi works great clear as clear can be. Also have a Panny 3D player used it once

http://www.youtube.com/user/jcamm44?feature=mhee

Old Video
Reply 3D Displays

Tags
Vizio E3d470vx 47 Inch Lcd 3d Smart Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page