Looking for Large Passive 3D dream TV. Any early buzz on 2013 large 3D options? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 10-18-2012, 12:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have a 67" samsung DLP that's too much of a hassle to worry about it's 3D option. And a 50" panasonic ST30 downstairs whose 3D just doesn't look right. Ghosting and something is just off. Looked way better before I swear.

But I like watching movies upstairs where my large TV is anyway. The 67HLA750 is a great TV, it just doesn't do 3D without a huge hassle, bad glasses options, and half the res of newer 3D TVs. I want a good 3D TV upstairs that will replace the 67". Thought about 65GT50 but it's a downgrade in size. Love the idea of passive 3D but LG's only option right now, costly for large size and not as good as plasma. Mitsu DLPs out right now, could upgrade size for cheap, but part of me doesn't like or trust Mitsu, and I really wish there was a large TV option with passive 3D that wasn't an LED so it would be cheaper.

I know some of you might say Mitsu is probably the best option but. What might be coming in the 70"+ size that will be a passive 3D tv. Any early buzz?

DREAM 3D TV
-3D quality is absolutely the most important aspect
-extremely minimal ghosting expected
-80" 3D TV
-passive 3D technology because of fun theater like super light weight glasses
-a type of TV that is the cheaper options (DLP -> Plasma -> LED -> OLED as far as expense)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 10-18-2012, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I would love for there to be a full-res 3D passive TV for 2013 (i.e.,without the visible horizontal lines), but the new Vizios apparently aren't, and I haven't heard that LG is changing its technology for 2013 for its 3D Cinema TVs. Wish it were true, because I will probably buy either the 65" Vizio M3D651SV or the not-yet-released 2013 65" LG (assuming there is a new one coming) after January, depending on reviews and cost.
post #3 of 18 Old 10-18-2012, 05:34 PM

Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elrowyn View Post

DREAM 3D TV
-80" 3D TV
-a type of TV that is the cheaper options (DLP -> Plasma -> LED -> OLED as far as expense)

1) Well, if you leave aside the much-argued-about questions of vertical resolution and image fusion, passive (FPR) has a lot to offer. Yes, the black matrix mask is thicker (you gotta get pretty close up to see it), and it's prone to jaggies and moire when displaying sharp horizontal lines. But there's no crosstalk essentially if you don't get too far above or below the display. No ghosting or flicker, off-angle 3D is good, nice bright 3D. RealD glasses from the theater work just fine.

2) Again, no ghosting, see above.

3) That's a toughie. I dunno if you can get a passive 3D display that size, yet. Maybe think about a projector and a FPR screen.

4) Yeah, nice cheap, featherweight circularly polarized glasses. Same as RealD.

5) Another toughie given the size you're hankering for. AFAIK, passive is not offered in any plasma, and I get the impression it never will. I was originally looking for a 3D plasma, but wanted passive 3D, so I had to choose between them.

I have a 65" LG 65LW6500, got it in February. Yes, it's an edge-lit LED/LCD, and yes, it has some minor flashlighting and uneveness in the backlighting. It's not something I can discern when watching a Blu-Ray, 2D or 3D. I only see it when changing source input. One thing about it, it's plenty bright (as opposed to my plasma), and putting on the 3D glasses is like putting on very lightly-shaded sunglasses. The picture quality, both 2D and 3D, is IMO quite good. I don't regret my purchase one little bit.

Good luck.
post #4 of 18 Old 10-18-2012, 05:47 PM

Liked: 44
The only Passive 3D TVs are LCD. No DLP or Plasma. You can look at the 65" LG model if you don't like Vizio

http://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-65LM6200-led-tv#
post #5 of 18 Old 10-18-2012, 07:22 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
why not look at projectors for a large 3D image ? better image/brightness/ passive 3D and larger image than any tv

post #6 of 18 Old 10-19-2012, 01:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman45 View Post

why not look at projectors for a large 3D image ? better image/brightness/ passive 3D and larger image than any tv

Because none of them use passive 3D, as far as I know.

Thanks for the informative replies folks. I actually just bit the bullet and bought an L55ET5 to replace my 50ST30 that appeared to be going screwy (3D wise). And I have to agree with fritz reply. Man is the 3D amazing. It is incredibly good. I'm very happy with it. The only minor problems are black levels not as good as plasma, and I get seldom screen flashing during 3D blu rays.

I think because of how happy I am with this TV, I will sit back and enjoy and and see what else comes out in the very large passive 3D front. But for now, I am totally sold on passive 3D and totally love it.
post #7 of 18 Old 10-19-2012, 03:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Because none of them use passive 3D, as far as I know.
Thanks for the informative replies folks. I actually just bit the bullet and bought an L55ET5 to replace my 50ST30 that appeared to be going screwy (3D wise). And I have to agree with fritz reply. Man is the 3D amazing. It is incredibly good. I'm very happy with it. The only minor problems are black levels not as good as plasma, and I get seldom screen flashing during 3D blu rays.
I think because of how happy I am with this TV, I will sit back and enjoy and and see what else comes out in the very large passive 3D front. But for now, I am totally sold on passive 3D and totally love it.

Were you able to compare with the the 55" LG Passive 3D which also gives 1/2 resolution (yes, I know they claim "Full HD")? I don't think BB has this Panasonic Passive 3D TV so I could see how it looks; our Costco doesn't have any 3D Vizios on hand.

http://reviews.lcdtvbuyingguide.com/panasonic-lcd-tv/panasonic-tcl55et5.html
post #8 of 18 Old 10-19-2012, 05:27 AM
Advanced Member

yes true, most projectors dont have passive 3d but several of us on here have been setting up dual projectors for passive 3d that rivals just about anything in 3d and can still look amazing in 2d. i make and sell the optics for passive 3d.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1407101/official-omega-3d-passive-projection-system-thread

its not everyone intersted in setting up a system like this but it can really be the best 3d with no ghosting at all or loss of black levels or lines of resolution and can be as big of an image as you want.

post #9 of 18 Old 10-19-2012, 06:14 AM

Liked: 50
Quote:

I have a 67" samsung DLP that's too much of a hassle to worry about it's 3D option. And a 50" panasonic ST30 downstairs whose 3D just doesn't look right. Ghosting and something is just off. Looked way better before I swear.
But I like watching movies upstairs where my large TV is anyway. The 67HLA750 is a great TV, it just doesn't do 3D without a huge hassle, bad glasses options, and half the res of newer 3D TVs. I want a good 3D TV upstairs that will replace the 67". Thought about 65GT50 but it's a downgrade in size. Love the idea of passive 3D but LG's only option right now, costly for large size and not as good as plasma. Mitsu DLPs out right now, could upgrade size for cheap, but part of me doesn't like or trust Mitsu, and I really wish there was a large TV option with passive 3D that wasn't an LED so it would be cheaper.
I know some of you might say Mitsu is probably the best option but. What might be coming in the 70"+ size that will be a passive 3D tv. Any early buzz?
DREAM 3D TV
-80" 3D TV

Massive and passive? only one choice
http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&identifier=S_4KTV
post #10 of 18 Old 10-19-2012, 07:09 AM
Advanced Member

yes the sony is impressive, but i would bet it is not as good in 3D ( ie no ghosting at all ) as this rig and for 1/10th the cost and far more massive. ive run 120"-170" 3d passive with twin projectors.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLqkZ45AW-c

post #11 of 18 Old 10-19-2012, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eweiss View Post

Were you able to compare with the the 55" LG Passive 3D which also gives 1/2 resolution (yes, I know they claim "Full HD")? I don't think BB has this Panasonic Passive 3D TV so I could see how it looks; our Costco doesn't have any 3D Vizios on hand.
http://reviews.lcdtvbuyingguide.com/panasonic-lcd-tv/panasonic-tcl55et5.html

I have seen half res 3D on my 67" DLP. 3D on a passive is missing just a bit of the shocking clarity of my old plasma. But the amazing depth of 3D is worth it to me, plus it's really hard to believe it is not full HD. Are you sure you believe one review in this regard? I can tell you since I have seen 3D on both a plasma and now this new passive model. I notice a bit of a difference but it's very minimal even if it IS half res. I am thinking of bringing it back to try the LG 55LM6200 because I have seen a few posts here and there with people noting the LG is better in some ways so I feel like I have to see it for myself.
post #12 of 18 Old 10-19-2012, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have seen half res 3D on my 67" DLP. 3D on a passive is missing just a bit of the shocking clarity of my old plasma. But the amazing depth of 3D is worth it to me, plus it's really hard to believe it is not full HD. Are you sure you believe one review in this regard? I can tell you since I have seen 3D on both a plasma and now this new passive model. I notice a bit of a difference but it's very minimal even if it IS half res. I am thinking of bringing it back to try the LG 55LM6200 because I have seen a few posts here and there with people noting the LG is better in some ways so I feel like I have to see it for myself.

I've done several side-by-side comparisons between the LG Passive and Sony & Samsung and & Panasonic Actives. I can see the lines in the LG, and on some things the 3D is better, on others it's worse than the Active. BB does not have the TVs properly calibrated or set up; in an ideal setup they would have the 4 TVs adjusted so the color and hue and brightness of the Active 3D TVs is identical to the Passive 3D so buyers could do legitimate comparisons.
post #13 of 18 Old 10-19-2012, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter

The only thing that I clearly notice is things further back are a bit more blurry. Ideally I would have an active plasma for downstairs for that full "punch" and then a larger (maybe the 65") passive for upstairs for the larger movie theater like 3D experience. But the L55ET5 has an insane amount of reflection so I would be afraid of putting a 65" LED tv upstairs where the huge windows are. I wish I could figure out what went wrong with my ST30's 3D otherwise I probably wouldn't have rushed to upgrade this.
post #14 of 18 Old 10-19-2012, 08:36 PM

Liked: 39
Quote:

I am thinking of bringing it back to try the LG 55LM6200 because I have seen a few posts here and there with people noting the LG is better in some ways so I feel like I have to see it for myself.

It's an IPS panel just like the LG. I'd be willing to bet Panasonic sourced the panel from LG. So any differences would come down to the image processing.
post #15 of 18 Old 10-20-2012, 06:36 AM - Thread Starter

Alright. I have to play with the backlight a bit to see if I can remove the painfully obvious corner flashlighting during dark scenes. I guess I could return my TV and wait until next fall when hopefully some better LED passive 3D tv's are out. But the 3D is so enjoyable I feel like I finally have a theater screen at home to enjoy all those 3D blu rays I have on my shelf. I don't know if I can wait smile.gif.

I guess I will google but has anyone heard what's coming for passive 3D LED's in 2013?
post #16 of 18 Old 10-20-2012, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter

I had backlight up at 80 (I generally prefer the "vivid" look on TVs. So I'll have backlight as close to 100 as possible, contrast at 100, and brightness between 45 and 55. I've lowered backlight to 55 and it hasn't hurt that visual punch I so desire while making the corner light bleed much more acceptable. The 3D on this TV is so good and makes me feel as if I'm in a RealD cinema, I just can't wait for new models to come out so I'm gonna stick with it. I would not hesitate to reccomend the L55ET5 to anyone telling me 3D blu rays and gaming are the most important aspects to their TV needs. As the 3D movies and PS3 are even more enjoyable to me on this TV than the plasma. Thanks for all the contributions and as far as projector technology, it's a nice idea. But I really just prefer getting the best bang for my buck TV (when I'm ready for one) for >$1500 as opposed to spending $3000 and going through the hassle of setting up projectors. If I had a room I could dedicate as sort of a theater, I'd probably do it. Thanks for the suggestion though.
post #17 of 18 Old 11-14-2012, 07:59 AM

Liked: 10
if you have more than 20K to spare you can get the sony 84" 4K passive 3D set now
post #18 of 18 Old 11-14-2012, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I'm looking at one of the 65" models myself, but probably won't pull the trigger until next year.

Welcome to Rivendell, Mister Anderson.
Reply 3D Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65gt50 Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page