Need to buy 120Hz 3D capable LCD monitor -- with minimum crosstalk (must be active, not passive) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 11-25-2012, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Hello,

Question: Which model has the least amount of crosstalk between eyes during 3D shutter glasses operation?

1. Samsung S23A700D (120Hz)
2. Asus VG236H (120Hz)
3. Asus VG278H (144Hz)
4. Acer GD235HZ (120Hz)
5. Benq XL2420T (120Hz)
6. other 23-27" model?

Basically, which of the above displays has less image leakage between eyes?

Background information: I need to buy one or two 120Hz 3D capable LCD monitors, for my zero-motion-blur videogame LCD modification project in my BlurBusters Blog. (I am utilizing a 250 watt LED backlight -- which I'm currently building -- Over 20,000 lumens in a 24 inch monitor (photo) -- and will utilize 0.5 millisecond strobe impulses to turn a sample-and-hold LCD display into an impulse-driven LCD display with less motion blur than CRT, utilizing 120 strobes per second at 0.5 millisecond per strobe for 95% motion blur elimination. Approximately as bright as CRT phosphor during its short illumination time). Active 3D compatible panels are perfect candidates because they are specially designed to eliminate as much pixel persistence as possible between frames (due to need for 3D shutter glasses operation), since I can strobe the backlight after pixel persistence is mostly finished disappearing. For an explanation of how it's possible, read Scanning Backlight FAQ and Zero Motion Blur LCD as well as the Scientific References first.

The monitor that has the least amount of pixel persistence leakage between frames (least crosstalk during 3D shutter glasses operation) -- will be the monitor that I will modify the first as the ultimate zero-motion-blur video gaming LCD monitor.

Thanks,
Mark Rejhon

www.BlurBusters.com

BlurBusters Blog -- Eliminating Motion Blur by 90%+ on LCD for games and computers

Rooting for upcoming low-persistence rolling-scan OLEDs too!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-25-2012, 03:30 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hey Mark,

I have the Asus VG236H with my active 3D Vision 2 glasses. This is the model that comes without lightboost technology making the scenes very dark. I recommend the Asus VG278H as it does utilize this technology. However, I warn you that the colors don't look that great for 3D viewing but the performance is great. I did not see any crosstalk on both monitors. Good luck with your project
post #3 of 4 Old 11-25-2012, 09:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks. It will be a tough decision about 23" versus 27"
The cost of building a backlight of 150 watts per square foot of backlight is expensive, but I did purchase enough LED ribbon to cover two different 27" panel's.
My scanning/strobed backlight project is primarily for 2D 120Hz so there's no Lightboost concerns.
However, it's also fully compatible with 3D, too.

I will need to research what's behind Lightboost. If it's simply display tweaks that allows shutters to be open longer during a refresh, or simply an extra powerful backlight -- those factors do not matter to my scanning backlight project. I'm completely discarding the monitor's original backlight! And, I only need to strobe once per refresh, at 0.5 millisecond per refresh, so I cram more of the light during a smaller interval. That said, if Lightboost display tweaks include improvements to erasing pixel persistence artifacts more completely between refreshes (ghosting, crosstalk), then that will matter a great deal to my project -- and Lightboost is a good feature to have. It's wholly possible that my backlight will bypass the need to have Lightboost, due to the sheer amount of lumens during a short interval, so if it's used with 3D glasses, the picture will appear much brighter on the VG236H as a result, without the color degradation -- as long as the 3D shutter glasses open for more than 0.5 milliseconds per refresh (which they do), and the light will squeeze through the shutter interval.

Thanks,
Mark Rejhon

www.BlurBusters.com

BlurBusters Blog -- Eliminating Motion Blur by 90%+ on LCD for games and computers

post #4 of 4 Old 11-27-2012, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ok, I researched LightBoost. It's a strobed backlight that strobes while the shutter glasses are open, and turns off the backlight while waiting for the LCD pixels to transit and shutter glasses are closed. By squeezing more light during the time interval shutter glasses are open, the picture is brighter. In addition, LightBoost also reduces motion blur, by its impulse effect.

So, in other words, LightBoost is a simplified version of what my scanning backlight is going to be doing. LightBoost will not reduce motion blur on LCD to be less than CRT, at least in its current implementations (though it could in the future). What makes my modification different, is that I'm using much brighter strobes for much shorter time periods.

Good AnandTech article about nVidia LightBoost 2:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4966/nvidia-announces-3d-vision-2-and-3d-lightboost-technology

I'm glad that monitor manufacturers have started addressing the motion blur problem via active backlight control; which in effect, is doing what I've been hoping they'd been doing along -- even though under the guise of extra light output during 3D shutter glasses usage.

Thanks,
Mark Rejhon

www.BlurBusters.com

Reply 3D Displays

Tags
Benq Xl2420t 24 Inch Widescreen 3d Ready Lcd Monitor
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page