Looking for BEST possible 3D Display (sitting 10-15 feet away) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 11-26-2012, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm in the market for a new TV, got a maximum budget of $5,000. I think I have it narrowed down to these two:
Sharp LC-80LE844U and SONY XBR-65HX950

The primary purpose of this new TV is to watch 3D movies (which wife and kids love). I was trying to read about all the different variables (Half SBS vs Full SBS, active 3D glasses vs passive, ghosting, etc. etc. and its just too much information to absorb smile.gif

Some more info...
The room is big... we currently have a SONY 60XBR1 that is only 1080i and yet it still looks GREAT to us, so I'm not really all that concerned with 2D, Im sure we will be happy with either TV for normal HD movies. I love the idea of an 80" and my first instinct is that size will matter to give a better 3D effect but thats just a gut feeling. We can adjust sitting from 10" to up to 15 feet away depending on how we arrange the furniture. The room can be made VERY dark even during the day time if needed (although we always keep all windows open) and pitch black at night.

So again, Im not concerned with 2D as Im sure Ill be happy (seen both tvs at best buy and they both look awesome)...3D is a different matter however, so many different options and different implementations, I would just like some advice from someone that has seen both TVs in 3D or someone that is very informed about 3D displays and can give me some good advice.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 11-27-2012, 06:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 53
The best 3D display tech is DLP. Plasma is second then LCOS last is LCD. A DLP projector will give you a 100" + display for under $3000 but has the only works best in the Dark problem. Plasma is out for anything over 60" but work good in well lite rooms. For cost VS screensize in a lit room is the Mitts RDTV at upto 92" for around $2500. I don't know about the 70" sharp LCD's are getting better with gosting but check out the forums on them. If you like to only watch in a dim to dark room go with a projector. If the cabnet size of the RPTV is not a problem take a look at them (the RBE problem with DLP might be an issue). Passive displays are something else to look at all have there problems and trade offs. Good luck

'

Smart enough to know better, to old to care
post #3 of 15 Old 11-27-2012, 10:28 AM

Liked: 88
I disagree with the LCOS statement. The best black levels available are Plasma and LCOS projectors. It all depends upon what you mean by "best". Of course, the best 3D would probably be a $25K+ professional dual projector.
post #4 of 15 Old 11-27-2012, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
What can you live with for the next 3 years? Because by then there will be better and cheaper technology, and you can relegate what you buy today to the guest bedroom after having reasonably enjoyed it for 3 years. So don't just think "What do I want" but also "What can I live with while saving a bunch of $$ in the process?"
post #5 of 15 Old 11-27-2012, 03:34 PM

I just bought a Samsung PN51E8000 at BestBuy for $1200 last week and I love it. Picture wise it's unreal in both 2D and 3D. I bought a Samsung BD-E5900 3D Bluray player and about 16 Bluray movies (three 3D) and each one is like seeing the movies for the first time all over again. I am having a few other issues with it though. I was told by the BestBuy guy and Samsung that this BUZZZZZZZ'ing sound is common, but a break in period of 3-4 weeks should solve it. And the image retention from static bars on the screen like ESPN's bottom bar should also stop happening once I let it burn in properly. I was also told to run the Burn In Protection scrolling image "thing" as often as I can to assist the break in process.

TLDR: Samsung PN51E8000: Excellent picture quality (2D/3D), plenty bright even in daylight, remote controls are intuitive, calibration almost unnecessary with BD-Wise movies. Buzz and image retention are annoying me though. I have until January 24, 2013 to return/exchange it, may upgrade to 60-64".
post #6 of 15 Old 11-30-2012, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Please. The best 3D TV is a projector. By far. Look at the Epson 5020 and a decent retractable screen. That will leave you enough money left over from your budget for several excellent subwoofers or a decent surround sound system in total. While the Epson 5020 is not the very, very best that money can buy, it is by all expert accounts a phenomenal cost/benefit 3D champion. Anything better will not be noticeably better unless you view them side by side simultaneously and are a videophile expert. The Epson is an excellent choice for mere mortals and it dominates over any kind of regular 3D TV. Infinity.
post #7 of 15 Old 12-02-2012, 09:33 AM

When 3d first came out Consumer Reports and other credible sources made it very clear plasma was superior to lcd for 3d, but this was a few years ago, I have a newish Sony NX720 3d and it is pretty good, but I want to replace my Pioneer elite Pro plasma in living room, i paid $4700 for this about 4 yrs ago? 5? not sure now, when i bought it was the best ever on the planet other than Runco at $25000

But, not 3d, so anyway, my question is to the non biased people, people who dont have a grudge against lcd techonolgy, are there lcd or non plasma flat screen 3ds out there that are really good if not as good as plasma , almost?

willing to pay up to $3500 for 60 inch

i need at least two to choose from, one plasma and one lcd or non plasma, no i dont want projector or dlp unless dlp makes flat screen tvs now
post #8 of 15 Old 12-02-2012, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
If one does not want to go the projector route, then I recommend considering the passive 3D TV models. They offer their own advantages.

3D has not reached full maturity, so it is an exciting time to determine the best in a given year. My advise is for a 3D projector if you want maximal impact and quality, and to consider 3D passive if you view for long periods of time,are sensitive to active flicker, or simply want a TV you can hang on a wall and enjoy for 7 years or so.
post #9 of 15 Old 12-06-2012, 02:20 PM

Samsung - 64" Class - Plasma - 1080p - 600Hz - Smart - 3D - HDTV
Model: PN64E8000GFXZA
SKU: 4912252
Best buy right now excellant TV 1/12'' in width very nice will be picking mine up tonight.
post #10 of 15 Old 12-06-2012, 02:47 PM

and the passive dont require glasses, right? does that Samsung offer no glass 3d?

$2900, cheap compared to the $5k i paid for my Elite...i see that one comes with glasses so guess not

i would get a passive 3d today if there was a really good one
post #11 of 15 Old 12-06-2012, 05:27 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by randys1 View Post

and the passive dont require glasses, right? does that Samsung offer no glass 3d?
$2900, cheap compared to the $5k i paid for my Elite...i see that one comes with glasses so guess not
i would get a passive 3d today if there was a really good one

Wrong, passive 3D requires glasses.
post #12 of 15 Old 12-06-2012, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robut View Post

Wrong, passive 3D requires glasses.

oh, so no tech yet for no glasses 3d, darn
post #13 of 15 Old 12-08-2012, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 32
There is tech for no 3D glasses.
post #14 of 15 Old 12-09-2012, 07:58 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
I'd agree with the projector recommendation, but i'd watch out for brightness levels. In my search for a replacement 46" 3D LCD computer monitor. I found many [but not all] of the 2012 LCD TV's to have VERY low amounts of crosstalk, the Samsung ES8000/ES7000 possibly having less than plasma, WHILE still being brighter. I personally like realistically high brightness, so i'd factor that in myself. A bigger image causes the separation between images to be greater, causing your eyes to rotate outward for each display size increase, increasing the perceived depth for a given scene. I would go big.
post #15 of 15 Old 12-09-2012, 05:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by tory40 View Post

I'd agree with the projector recommendation, but i'd watch out for brightness levels.

Yes, a high gain screen is a must I think.
Reply 3D Displays

Tags
Sharp Lc80le844u 80 Inch 3d Led Tv , Sony Xbr 65hx950 65 Inch Bravia Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread - Lc80le844u by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page