Keep my LG 55LM8600 or return for a Samsung 55ES7500 for 3D reasons. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 12-02-2012, 10:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm about to return my LG but hope I don't regret it. The passive 3D has a great 3D effect and minimal crosstalk, if any, but I can see the drop in resolution. This bothers me a bit when gaming and watching movies. I'm primarily concerned with gaming in 3D and am hoping a jump to active 3D on Samsung is the correct move. Can anyone share their thoughts on crosstalk and input lag when using a Samsung to game in 3D? I'm not trusting of reviews because I read many that said the LG's drop in resolution wasn't noticable at a normal viewing distance. I sit 10-12 feet away from the TV and it is noticeable on any 1080p content I try. I've also read Samsung active 3D may have issues with fast moving objects, any truth to this? I'm almost ready to pull the trigger, can anyone shed some light on this situation. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 12-03-2012, 12:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I'm interested for the same reasons.... liking my 55 LG passive but I am only 8-9 feet away and I can definitely tell.

Was thinking samsung active also (was alwas impressed with Samsung before 3D was invovled) but I wonder about the action issues too... I have one of those 24 inch Sony PS3 3D monitor things and when playing GT5 anytime you took a turn on a city course especiially stuff tore pretty badly... though it was the game but doesn't seem to happen on the LG. Also crosstalk was BAD from cockpit view as it seems to increase parallax on the road as well as force contrast up a bit so the white lines on teh side of the road were massively visible as crosstalk. Don't know if that's an issue though.... definitely didn't like the drop in brightness either but from the demos I ahve seen in stores that doen't seem to be a problem on the bigger samsung panels...

Monster Gold Plated Optical Cables: http://monstercable.com/productPage.asp?pin=1263

Awesome user review: "Unreal quality. Sounded like I upgraded my speakers." :D
post #3 of 15 Old 12-03-2012, 01:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 122
I really can't comment on the active samsung you are gonna get. But I have owned both active and passive 3D sets now. First a 50st30 panasonic plasma and just recently an l55et5 panasonic passive LED. I do plan to game on it (PS3, WiiU) but both TV's were PRIMARLY for 3D. So speaking to you as a 3D fan, passive 3D blows active 3D out of the water. Yes it has lower res, which is a negative. But every single other catagory it destroys active.

It seems more natural maybe becuase there is no flickering causing no eye strain. The 3D seems to have more natural "depth". The image is just as bright with the glasses on as it is with glasses off. This is easily noticable if you take really impressive bright scenes like the bright gold of Rapunzel's hair when it lights up in tangled. So if you are a person who likes to watch movies and games in "vivid" mode, you will be pretty dissapointed in active for that reason.

So yes, I think that you will regret it. Just accept the TV you have now, and a few years down the road when you can get a mid size 4k tv for a good price, upgrade then. Then you will have twice the res and it will be the best of both worlds. But at this point given passive vs. active flaws, passive beats out active hands down in my book.

Sony KDL-70R550A (passive 3D tv)
Denon x4000 (amazing sound correcting software)
Klipsch RF-62IIs (amazing horns)
Klipsch RC-62II (so clear)
Klipsch RS-41IIs (so full)
SVS PC12-NSD + Klipsch RW12d (so boom)
post #4 of 15 Old 12-03-2012, 06:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teremei View Post

I really can't comment on the active samsung you are gonna get. But I have owned both active and passive 3D sets now. First a 50st30 panasonic plasma and just recently an l55et5 panasonic passive LED. I do plan to game on it (PS3, WiiU) but both TV's were PRIMARLY for 3D. So speaking to you as a 3D fan, passive 3D blows active 3D out of the water. Yes it has lower res, which is a negative. But every single other catagory it destroys active.
It seems more natural maybe becuase there is no flickering causing no eye strain. The 3D seems to have more natural "depth". The image is just as bright with the glasses on as it is with glasses off. This is easily noticable if you take really impressive bright scenes like the bright gold of Rapunzel's hair when it lights up in tangled. So if you are a person who likes to watch movies and games in "vivid" mode, you will be pretty dissapointed in active for that reason.
So yes, I think that you will regret it. Just accept the TV you have now, and a few years down the road when you can get a mid size 4k tv for a good price, upgrade then. Then you will have twice the res and it will be the best of both worlds. But at this point given passive vs. active flaws, passive beats out active hands down in my book.

So your active set was from around 2010? I'm going to assume active has come along quite a ways since then. I'm glad to hear your experience though. I guess I should fish for answers in the es8000 thread on here and see what I come up with. I have improved my experience with the LG in terms of gaming on PC. There are 3D Vision drivers that trick the computer into outputting a 1080p 60hz interlaced signal to the TV, it was limited to 720 60hz or 1080p 24hz before. Things still seem a little soft on the edges but it isn't as bad as it was. I've also read that side by side 3D on this TV isn't very good and that's what I've been using mainly. Guess I should rent a Blu Ray and experiment. Although, I have tried the 3D zone app (or whatever) on the TV and those videos seem to have the same problems as side by side.
post #5 of 15 Old 12-03-2012, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeJayII View Post

So your active set was from around 2010? I'm going to assume active has come along quite a ways since then. I'm glad to hear your experience though..

No, 2011 actually. So it's not that old. It's just last years model of the st50's. st50 2012 st30 2011. Which are panasonic's extremely highly rated TVs all around. I doubt 3D has come that far in just one year. No amount of years is going to remove the dimming effect of active, or the unnatural feel of the shutters. You seem intent on ditching your TV no matter what I say. But atleast take this info into account. It will be dimmer, and it can cause eye strain. If you can accept that, then enjoy your new tv.
post #6 of 15 Old 12-03-2012, 07:30 AM - Thread Starter

I would actually love to keep my tv, hence my experimentation. If I can minimize these interlace lines somehow, I will be very happy with the LG. I'm not worried about the dimming (LEDs are bright) or eye strain of active, I am worried about crosstalk and smooth motion.
post #7 of 15 Old 12-03-2012, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:

I would actually love to keep my tv, hence my experimentation. If I can minimize these interlace lines somehow, I will be very happy with the LG. I'm not worried about the dimming (LEDs are bright) or eye strain of active, I am worried about crosstalk and smooth motion.

I have found reducing sharpness and backlight both help reduce the apparent effects of the scanlines.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elrowyn View Post

No, 2011 actually. So it's not that old. It's just last years model of the st50's. st50 2012 st30 2011. Which are panasonic's extremely highly rated TVs all around. I doubt 3D has come that far in just one year. No amount of years is going to remove the dimming effect of active, or the unnatural feel of the shutters. You seem intent on ditching your TV no matter what I say. But atleast take this info into account. It will be dimmer, and it can cause eye strain. If you can accept that, then enjoy your new tv.

Did you ever have issues with motion tearing?

Monster Gold Plated Optical Cables: http://monstercable.com/productPage.asp?pin=1263

Awesome user review: "Unreal quality. Sounded like I upgraded my speakers." :D
post #8 of 15 Old 12-03-2012, 09:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devedander View Post

I have found reducing sharpness and backlight both help reduce the apparent effects of the scanlines.
Did you ever have issues with motion tearing?

Just back from a visit to Best Buy's Magnolia center where they had a 65" Samsung 3D on Display. Watched about 5 minutes of Avengers. Crosstalk was mimimal but there in almost every scene, this could be due to the brightness being jacked up due to in store lighting. The animation didn't seem quite as natural as the LG. My buddy is bringing his copy of Avengers 3D over here in a little while so I can do a comparison on the same scene.
post #9 of 15 Old 12-04-2012, 08:47 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

Just back from a visit to Best Buy's Magnolia center where they had a 65" Samsung 3D on Display. Watched about 5 minutes of Avengers. Crosstalk was mimimal but there in almost every scene, this could be due to the brightness being jacked up due to in store lighting. The animation didn't seem quite as natural as the LG. My buddy is bringing his copy of Avengers 3D over here in a little while so I can do a comparison on the same scene.

Interested in your comparison. I have a 47" passive vizio as a monitor and also want to upgrade my living room 60" LCoS set to a 65-70". Just can't decide between active and passive. The fact that none of the box stores in my area have a working active demo doesn't help active in my decision making process.

HD DVD = 64
Blu-Ray = 171
Blu-Ray 3D = 10
SDVD = 585
post #10 of 15 Old 12-04-2012, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter

Most of the videos I've watched thus far on my 55LM8600 have been side by side. Side by side looks soft and the resolution drop is quite noticeable. Blu Ray and Top-Bottom 3D aren't half bad though. The resolution drop is there but you can forget about it at times. Frames seem to move a little smoother on passive, although I have no Idea what settings the sammy in the store was on. I leave my LG set to smooth Trumotion. Something to consider is that A LOT of content is side by side, passive's weakness. The picture on active is clear and crisp no matter the 3D content. This is what struck me about active, the screen was so clean and clear... at times. It seemed to me that the main focus of a scene displayed very nicely on active but things in the background tended to have some small crosstalk problems. These problems aren't glaring but they generally aren't there on passive. I didn't have any discomfort with the active 3D glasses, brightness was also not an issue.

For gaming, remember that HDMI is limited in what kind of frame packed 3D signal it can send at the moment. It's either 1080p 24hz or 720p 60hz. AMD has been able to squeeze 1080p 30hz out but that's the current limit. For most, you will be gaming at 720p with frame packed 3D. An advantage to passive is that a 1080p 60hz interlace signal can be sent, so it's possible to game at 1920x540 (I know 540 isn't exactly accurate but it sure isn't 1080) on passive vs 1280x720 active which seems a wash. The difference of 1280x720 and 1280x540 also doesn't seem that dramatic of a drop off it interlace is unavailable. Active can do 1080p 60hz in checkerboard 3D but from what I've read it causes input lag and is still not quite 1920x1080. I have also read that some active sets can receive an interlace signal but I'm unsure if this is true.

In the end, I'm right where I started pretty much. Pros and cons to each. I would love to hear more about the frame rate/tearing issue while gaming on active. This is pretty much my tipping point. I could be happy with passive but getting a crisper hi res picture with active is tempting as well.
post #11 of 15 Old 12-06-2012, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter

Pulled the trigger, 55ES7500 arrives tomorrow. Will report on crosstalk, input lag in 3d, and motion blur in 3d after some experimentation. I have spent a considerable amount of time experimenting with the LG and will compare the 2.
post #12 of 15 Old 12-08-2012, 12:43 AM - Thread Starter

55esss7500 has just a little xtalk but it hasn't been bothersome. Using 3dtv play it rarely occurs, tridef has a tiny bit more in certain games. Being used to the lg, I'm intentionally looking for xtalk but finding little. Input lag feels same as lg to me also. I'm using checkerboard 3d and I cant detect any significant lag. The picture though, wow. What a difference a getting rid of those soft edges makes. Games look much better now, totally worth the change, movies are much sharper as well. Happy I made the switch. Aalso, no motion breaking to speak of at this point. Animation is smooth.
post #13 of 15 Old 12-08-2012, 05:54 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

55esss7500 has just a little xtalk but it hasn't been bothersome. Using 3dtv play it rarely occurs, tridef has a tiny bit more in certain games. Being used to the lg, I'm intentionally looking for xtalk but finding little. Input lag feels same as lg to me also. I'm using checkerboard 3d and I cant detect any significant lag. The picture though, wow. What a difference a getting rid of those soft edges makes. Games look much better now, totally worth the change, movies are much sharper as well. Happy I made the switch. Aalso, no motion breaking to speak of at this point. Animation is smooth.

Finally got to see a working active display. A sammy playing Hugo. Not bad. I didn't see any crosstalk either, but then there was quite a bit of reflections so xtalk might have been there. PQ seemed way bit dimmer than the LG 6700 3D demo they had running though.

HD DVD = 64
Blu-Ray = 171
Blu-Ray 3D = 10
SDVD = 585
post #14 of 15 Old 12-08-2012, 06:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngwest36 View Post

Finally got to see a working active display. A sammy playing Hugo. Not bad. I didn't see any crosstalk either, but then there was quite a bit of reflections so xtalk might have been there. PQ seemed way bit dimmer than the LG 6700 3D demo they had running though.

You can increase the brightness to your like so the dimness is not a factor at home. The advantages LG passive has over Sammy Active are no crosstalk, I really saw none, and the 3d depth may have been slightly better. The resolution makes up for it though, especially being a gamer. Even on movies, the Samsung 3D makes the LG 3D look like it's more of an Standard than high definition. Trumotion on the LG had more of a positive effect on 3D than Samsung motion plus did. If you turn up the samsung motion plus, that's when you may see some break up in 3D motion, or motion that just doesn't look natural. This does not occur on the LG.
post #15 of 15 Old 12-10-2012, 04:10 AM

These are the big problems with passive is the resolution drop and the venetian blind effect also the jaggies. I can see them all easily unless I go back far enough that the 3d isn't good and the bigger the tv the worst it is. I want a passive tv, but currently the crisp detail of active easily wins for me as I don't get no eyestrain and 0 crosstalk because I watch 3d on a DLP device. Yes active is dimmer ,but it's not that bad and actually more natural for me and the problem when the 4k passive sets are reasonable to buy active 4k will be too probably with 4k material and will still have better resolution than 4k passive. The current mainstream passive technology will always be 1 step behind active.
Reply 3D Displays

Tags
Samsung Un55es7500 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Slim Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page