LG 65" NOT reading VLC video files? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 12-15-2012, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anybody know what i can do to make VLC files watchable on my 6500LW? When I connect my flash drive to the USB port on the TV all other type of files play except for those few that are VLC? anybody know if there is a way to make them playable on the TV?? i recently tried plugging this same hard drive on my brother's samsung smart tv and on that one it reads VLC like all other files.... i know the obvious which is to convert those files on my PC into a playable format, but i really want to avoid doing that, this tv must be able to do it somehow ???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 12-15-2012, 11:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by upinclouds View Post

Anybody know what i can do to make VLC files watchable on my 6500LW? When I connect my flash drive to the USB port on the TV all other type of files play except for those few that are VLC? anybody know if there is a way to make them playable on the TV?? i recently tried plugging this same hard drive on my brother's samsung smart tv and on that one it reads VLC like all other files.... i know the obvious which is to convert those files on my PC into a playable format, but i really want to avoid doing that, this tv must be able to do it somehow ???

Are your file extensions really VLC or do you just meant stuff that will play in VLC on a PC? If it's the latter VLC plays a LOT of different CODEC combinations many of which the TV probably can't handle.

Monster Gold Plated Optical Cables: http://monstercable.com/productPage.asp?pin=1263

Awesome user review: "Unreal quality. Sounded like I upgraded my speakers." :D
post #3 of 4 Old 12-16-2012, 06:39 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Yeah, VLC can play a wide variety of video types without external codecs. It can also capture video.

Best if you open any problematic files in MediaInfo, which will tell you precisely what you're dealing with:

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/MediaInfo

I have the LG 65LW6500 myself. It's limited in which codecs are supported. It also may not recognize a particular container. For example, mine will recognize H.264 (AVC) and AC3/DTS in MKV container or TS (transport stream). It will not recognize m2ts files, even when the contents are identical to a TS or MKV. If you want to have subtitles recognized, best to use srt.

So I edit and render my captures as TS, my Blu-Ray rips as MKV. Changing an m2ts file to another container may be as simple as remuxing to TS with tsMuxer, or use something like mkvMerge for an MKV.

But you first have to know what you're dealing with.
post #4 of 4 Old 12-26-2012, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
you are right, i meant to say in particular it was the ".flv" files are the main one's not wanting to play on my tv, it just seemed weird that this tv cost me about $2500, and my brother gets a 47" samsung that is able to play these exact files with no issue....
Reply 3D Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page