Hmm, old BBC DVDs dont translate well.... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 12-30-2012, 11:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Are you familiar with the BBC's collection of wildlife/prehistoric DVDs? I have a collection of them from when I had my DVD player-32" CRT set up. About...30 smile.gif...about 500 hours smile.gif. They're dated 2003, 2005, etc...from BBC, PBS, NatGeo, etc.

Now that I have a 3D blu ray-55" LED, I dug up all those DVDs to be rewatched on the 55". The BBC's aren't translating well smile.gif. Walking With Dinosaurs looks really bad. Ancient Americas slightly better. They have a grainy, cloudy look to them.

Is it just that these older U.K. made discs just weren't meant for this set up? Let down, because a lot of these discs have stunning scenery and scenes that would look great rewatching it on the new set. I've got another non-3D blue ray and a standard def DVD player, made it comes out clearer on one of those?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 03-19-2013, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I think it is more to do with the quality of the deinterlacer and scaler being used: TVs don't necessarily have the best processing for that.

The Oppo players and the Toshiba XA2 HD-DVD player were supposed to be very good at upscaling SD material, so perhaps if you have a better player connected to the TV it might help.

Those UK discs will also be 576i50, which doesn't work too well on most USA 60Hz TVs without standards conversion artifacts.
Reply 3D Displays

Tags
Toshiba Hd Xa2 1080p Hd Dvd Player
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page