Forum Jump: 

post #901 of 921 Old 09-24-2014, 04:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubob800 View Post
Just to close the loop, I was not able to find the BenQ "D3" generation glasses being sold anywhere reputable so I went with the Estar ESG601's instead. After doing some basic side-by-side viewing against the D4's, I can say that the Estar's do a much better job of suppressing red flash by comparison.

In bright scenes the glasses are essentially identical, although it's possible that the D4 glasses might be slightly brighter. However, that marginal increase in brightness is not enough to offset their poor treatment of red flash in dark scenes.

I should mention the Estars are noticeably lighter in weight as well. At this point I'm happy enough with the Estar's that I'll be ordering a second pair and returning the D4's.

In conclusion, I have to say I found it surprising that BenQ's own glasses have been outclassed by a third-party brand...and for $20 less. I guess it pays to do a little homework sometimes!

Thanks for the info! I ended up buying the Estar's as well and returned the BenQ's. I couldn't stand the red tint in black. The Estar's are close to perfect...the only two issues I have with them are:

1) Highly reflective..so I get reflections of my cheek/face.
2) When the image on screen has a lot of white...the glasses lose 3d sync and then pop back into 3D when the image doesn't have too much overall white on screen.

Any idea's what might be causing this and how to eliminate it?

** EDIT: I found turning ON Brilliant Color eliminated issue #2 . Also even though 3D perceptually looks darker with brilliant color on in 3D, the colors and hues look more like the 2D version of the film. With it turned OFF, the skin tones look too cool and dead looking for my taste and don't match the 2D version of the film (color temperature wise).

Last edited by scoochie; 09-25-2014 at 09:36 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 921 Old 10-20-2014, 02:45 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoochie View Post
Thanks for the info! I ended up buying the Estar's as well and returned the BenQ's. I couldn't stand the red tint in black. The Estar's are close to perfect...the only two issues I have with them are:

1) Highly reflective..so I get reflections of my cheek/face...
Funny you should mention that, this was my wife's only complaint with the Estar's. She noticed it right away and often.

Strangely, I have yet to notice it even once!
post #903 of 921 Old 11-06-2014, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 16
New W1070 owner. VisualApex has handed it off to FedEx.
I'm on this thread to find a decent set (one pair) of 3D glasses for under $50.
Feel free to make suggestions while I search the thread. I like to buy from Amazon.

EDIT: I've gone back a couple pages so far and it sounds like the Estar are the best 3d glasses under $50 that are available with Amazon Prime shipping:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=AGNVLBADXSP8N

EDIT #2 : I found a nice "roundup" from May 2014:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antiflash View Post
Ordered W1070 during last week. While waiting for it to arrive what better than to read 800+ posts about the glasses for it. I though I could do a quick recap of the glasses more important glasses considered in this thread.
1. BenQ D3. Were considered the reference standard in performance but uncomfortable to the nose. Have been discontinued by the new model (D4) but no "reviews" here to the latest model that have a more reasonble price of around $60.
2. SainSonic 144Hz. The original budget glasses, had problems blocking reds and with sincronization but back then nothing came colse to its price. New SainSonic models have been released that are also compatible with the W1070 but not much interest in reviewing them here.
3. TrueDepth version 3.5: (http://truedepth3d.com/store/product...-link-glasses/) were priced by many by its picture quality but some had problems with noise or syncing. Outstanding customer service. Have been replaced by Firstorm XL ( http://truedepth3d.com/store/product...tm-technology/ ) and I have not seen complain about them (probably only price).
4. 3DTV Corp DLP2-2 ( http://www.amazon.com/DLP-LINK-3D-Glasses-Projectors-Mitsubishi/dp/B004G2VJM6/ ) Regarded as one best of the budget quality glasses. It has mixed reviews here but still a good choice in the "value" segment.
5. YDD4PG ""Lime Heaven" or YDD4PG "Blue Heaven" models. There are positive reviews of these colorful models. Dificult to spot if there is a difference but by far the most afortable are the 3DTV Corp version in blue (http://www.amazon.com/Generation-DLP-Link-Glasses-Projectors-Mitsubishi/dp/B00E1S65EM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1401221201&sr=8-1&keywords=3dTV+corp). They are very similar to the original OPTOMA ZD302. They are remarkable by their "clarity" of the image but it's been argued that because of that the ghosting is more noticeable.
6. EStar America ESG601 ( http://www.amazon.com/EStar-America-ESG601-Link-Glasses/dp/B00CRN3D98/ ): Excelent reviews here and in Amazon but we need more comparison points. Some argue that are the same as the Optoma ZD301 at half the cost.
7. G15-DLP. The new budget king. Several Chinese vendors sell them in ebay with worldwide delivery included for less than $12. Incredible performance considering the price have been reported. The drawbacks are more related to the design.

Hope this helps to new people trying to gather information from this thread. Your observations and comments to the above selection are welcomed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubob800 View Post
Funny you should mention that, this was my wife's only complaint with the Estar's. She noticed it right away and often.

Strangely, I have yet to notice it even once!
Does your skin have less natural oil than your wifes?

"The boom is dead, long live the bass"

Last edited by CZ Eddie; 11-06-2014 at 03:48 PM.
post #904 of 921 Old 11-06-2014, 09:52 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question

Hi all,

I bought a pair for these for the Benq w1070 :VIP 3D DLP-Link 3D Glasses from Canada

I'm finding that I'm noticing a bit of flicker, and I'm wondering if there is a way for me to check somewhere/somehow if they are operating at 144hz?

Thanks
post #905 of 921 Old 11-06-2014, 09:52 PM

And if they are not at 144hz, where can I change it?
post #906 of 921 Old 11-10-2014, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schkorpio View Post
And if they are not at 144hz, where can I change it?

he glasses will sync to the red 3D sync flashes the projector projects onto the screen.

With 60Hz side by side, the Benq emits 3D sync pulses at 120Hz. With a YouTube source, if it a 24fps movie, and provided the pc is using a 24Hz refresh, the Benq would emit 3D sync at 144Hz (a very smooth rate).

If it is a 50Hz side by side source, the Benq will alternate Left and Right at a mere 100Hz. That can be very flickery for some people.
post #907 of 921 Old 11-10-2014, 11:41 PM
AVS Special Member

New 3D user here with a W1070 and EStar America ESG601 fresh out of the box.
I can't figure out how to get it all working together??

My source is an HTPC with GT520 video card to HDMI to W1070 and Avatar in 3D.
When I got to the 3D settings on the projector, I have tried all the combinations of side-by-side or up and down. Nothing works?
When I turn on the EStar America ESG601 glasses, they blink twice and I can tell they are doing something. But the picture is all out of whack. Geometry is messed up and nothing seems to go together. No real 3D action going on?

"The boom is dead, long live the bass"
post #908 of 921 Old 11-14-2014, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZ Eddie View Post
New 3D user here with a W1070 and EStar America ESG601 fresh out of the box.
I can't figure out how to get it all working together??

My source is an HTPC with GT520 video card to HDMI to W1070 and Avatar in 3D.
When I got to the 3D settings on the projector, I have tried all the combinations of side-by-side or up and down. Nothing works?
When I turn on the EStar America ESG601 glasses, they blink twice and I can tell they are doing something. But the picture is all out of whack. Geometry is messed up and nothing seems to go together. No real 3D action going on?
I am in the same boat. Is there a 3D 101 document that someone can point me to?
post #909 of 921 Old 11-14-2014, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 36
You need an actual software player that can display 3D Blu-Ray. Something like PowerDVD. It's usually a pain. I prefer an actual hardware player.

To test Side by Side, download a movie torrent with (Half 3D SBS) in the title. It will look like two split images on the screen, but when you choose 3D side by side on the projector, it will combine them and make the 3D image.
post #910 of 921 Old 11-14-2014, 08:56 AM

I actually have a Roku and Netflix.
post #911 of 921 Old 11-15-2014, 11:31 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Cool Estar ESG601

Thanks to everyone for their advice. I bought some Estar ESG601 glasses and I can confirm that they work flawlessly at 1080p. The battery lasts for much more that one movie, it never loses sync, and the red bias is completely removed. They are also very light (much lighter than usual theater glasses) and fit well over prescription glasses. 10 stars out of 10.

For anyone outside of the US, especially EU people, you might want to consider buying directly from the Chinese factory. After searching for EU online shops that carried them, and not finding any, I stumbled across their Alibaba page: estar.en.alibaba.com

Their Alibaba page is kinda messy, but they have a minimum order quantity of 1 pair at US $18 each. Shipping to Europe via Fedex or UPS is US $60, but their export person Ms. Nora, who is very kind and helpful, did mention that for small orders they might be able to use China Post, which is usually cheaper (although slower and possibly less reliable.)

I bought 10 pairs at $18 each + $60 shipping + $12 Paypal handling fee + €53 import tax (which will vary by country.) Total €25 a piece and got them in 3 business days (across a weekend) which is pretty awesome.

So if anybody else needs 3D glasses for their W1070, I highly recommend making a group purchase directly to Shenzhen Estar. You could even use a cheaper payment than Paypal, since they are a legitimate company.

PS: I don't really need 10 pairs, I can sell 2 or 3 for €35 each + shipping
post #912 of 921 Old 11-15-2014, 11:36 AM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I can also speak to the estars being worth their cost, I also notice some reflections off my face onto the glasses but its not really a big issue, I own four pairs and everyone likes them.
post #913 of 921 Old 11-17-2014, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by etatoby View Post
Hey etatoby! I would like to buy them. Please contact me at maqdev at gmail.com
post #914 of 921 Old 11-30-2014, 05:23 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have both types, 2x Benq D4 (5J.J7L25.002) and 1x Hi-Shock YDD3PG do you want me to write a mini comparsion?
(In one sentence: Benq D4 are good, Hishock's are better )
post #915 of 921 Old 11-30-2014, 11:53 PM

I have two other glasses to compare, if anyone has experience with them, please share!
IncrediSonic VUE Series 3D Glasses

Ultra-Clear HD 144 Hz DLP LINK

You can search for both on amazon, both have pretty good ratings, how do they compare with estar? Thank you!
post #916 of 921 Old 12-01-2014, 03:10 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have 2x Hi-Shock YDD3PG and 2x G15-DPL. G15 is working well all the time. Hi-Shocks are from 3 to 7 times out of sync for a second during the movie. What is the problem with them? Any ideas?
post #917 of 921 Old 12-02-2014, 08:03 PM

I contacted them. They are asking to buy it from amazon. They only sell them to reseller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by etatoby View Post
Thanks to everyone for their advice. I bought some Estar ESG601 glasses and I can confirm that they work flawlessly at 1080p. The battery lasts for much more that one movie, it never loses sync, and the red bias is completely removed. They are also very light (much lighter than usual theater glasses) and fit well over prescription glasses. 10 stars out of 10.

For anyone outside of the US, especially EU people, you might want to consider buying directly from the Chinese factory. After searching for EU online shops that carried them, and not finding any, I stumbled across their Alibaba page: estar.en.alibaba.com

Their Alibaba page is kinda messy, but they have a minimum order quantity of 1 pair at US $18 each. Shipping to Europe via Fedex or UPS is US $60, but their export person Ms. Nora, who is very kind and helpful, did mention that for small orders they might be able to use China Post, which is usually cheaper (although slower and possibly less reliable.)

I bought 10 pairs at $18 each + $60 shipping + $12 Paypal handling fee + €53 import tax (which will vary by country.) Total €25 a piece and got them in 3 business days (across a weekend) which is pretty awesome.

So if anybody else needs 3D glasses for their W1070, I highly recommend making a group purchase directly to Shenzhen Estar. You could even use a cheaper payment than Paypal, since they are a legitimate company.

-----
Denon 2310ci with Mirage OS3 7.1 / Sony 55HX800
Onkyo TX-NR616 with Klipsch Reference / Polk SW-10
Sony BX-58 & Oppo BDP-93
Pioneer BDP-140 / Benq W1070
-----
post #918 of 921 Old 12-04-2014, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Hello guys!
I'm very excited to be getting the w1070!
I want to get glasses right away. I was using nvidia 3d vision glasses before with a mittsubishi dlp TV.
Can I use those with this projector or is something like the ESG601 much better?
I use mpc hc as my bluray player player and powerdvd 14 for 3d bluray. I do not have a dedicated bluray player.
Thanks!!!!
post #919 of 921 Old 12-11-2014, 09:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Sorry for the double post but after reading the whole thread I am down to two glasses.
Has anyone tried both, EStar America ESG601 and the True Depth 3D Firestorm XL? My main concern is image quality. Right now I can get the Firestorm XL , two of them, for 62.99 on amazon (using their discount code) and the ESG601 are going for $39.99 each (shipped from USA).

My projector arrives midway next week so I need to order soon.

Thanks for any help!

Mario Lemieux is GOD!
Go Pens!!!
Aguante Boca!!!
If dolphins are so smart...why do they live in igloos?
post #920 of 921 Old 12-12-2014, 03:56 PM

Also purchased the EStar glasses and they work nicely. Went ahead and just bought 5 pairs and know I could probably wait around but who has time for that when you have 3D movies to watch

Anyhow, this may not be the place to mention, but what are you all's setting for 3D on the device? I have version 1.08 and was wondering if people were using any of these settings:

http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...ector-settings
https://www.avforums.com/threads/ben...tings.1761516/

I tried the first link 3D setting and it looked off to me, so wasn't sure if it was just the cloth screen I was using at the moment or if those settings were used for an older version of the projector firmware which does not apply to the newest version?

post #921 of 921 Old Today, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 32
G15 glasses: how long do the batteries last? and are those batteries easy to find?
Reply 3D Displays

Tags
Benq W1070 1080p 3d Projector
Gear in this thread - W1070 by PriceGrabber.com