AVS Forum banner

Benq W1070 144Hz Compatible DLP-LINK 3D Glasses

334K views 1K replies 307 participants last post by  pd555 
#1 ·
UPDATE: Here's a mini-review comparing a few 144Hz DLP-link glasses on W1070.

This thread is to attempt to gather information on owner's confirmation on compatible DLP-Link 3D Glasses that work with the new Benq W1070 for 1080p/24fps 3D HDMI input signal. Please note that only 1080p/24fps input mode is relevant here, as all DLP-link 3D glasses will work with the rest of the modes (1080i, 720p, etc)

The following are confirmed:

Compatible:
Ebay Sainsonic 144Hz Glasses
Benq 5J.J7K25.001

NOT Compatible:
Sainsonic White 120Hz Glasses

ALL the above glasses block red flash, and there is no noticeable ghost/crosstalk. Both Sainsonic would lose L/R sync once in a while and require re-syncing by pressing the button (an incident that made my daughter nauseous last night). The benq has the best overall image quality.

See less See more
Reactions: maheeinfy
#3 ·
What about making this a more in depth thread with data points like whether they block the red flash and how well they perform overall in terms of ghosting etc?

#7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanderdvd  /t/1448720/benq-w1070-144hz-compatible-dlp-link-3d-glasses#post_22771709

I see that '144Hz' comes by in this topic a few times. Does this little guy do Tripple Flash? Cannot imagine this because only ultra high end machines like the Sim2 3D-S support this real cinema technique........

Don't know if it is really 144hz or 96hz. There is at least one DLP-Link glasses that do support 96hz and 120hz but not 144hz and these do not work with W1070.

To my understanding it is possibly to do 144hz with single chip DLP and TI did some improvements to DC3 chipset recently so maybe there is now enough processing power to do 144hz. DMD chip itself can do 400hz.

Maybe there is some way to measure this? Motion is smooth so it is either 96hz or 144hz. If it's 96hz then there is some magic happening because it really do look like it flickers a bit less then 120hz.

#8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishari84  /t/1448720/benq-w1070-144hz-compatible-dlp-link-3d-glasses#post_22767547

Compatible:

- Sainsonic 144Hz glasses

- 3DTV CORP glasses

Not compatible:

- True Depth ( they said they are working on it).

- 3ACTIVE glasses.

So can the 3DTV CORP glasses like the ones in the below link can be confirmed to be 144Hz and work displaying 1080p blu-rays? They have so many I different models I just want to make sure I'm selecting the right ones.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DLP-LINK-Glasses-2-Mitsubishi-Samsung-DLP-TV-DLP-Link-Projectors-/150882711282?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item23214f76f2

#9 ·
I've exchanged emails with Michael Starks of 3DTV-Corp that he has 4 models of DLP-link glasses:

DLP2 (battery-operated)

DLPR (rechargeable)

DLPC (clip-on)

DLPK (for kids)

He said

"yes I have heard that a few recent ones ran at the cinema frequency and our DLP2 battery op glasses are supposed to also--says right on the box!

However the other 3 models DLPR, DLPC(clip-ons) and DLPK (for young kids) are quite new and don't say and I have no way to test."

I'll see if I can get my hands on at least the DLP2 and DLPR and report back my findings.

#10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaMiR  /t/1448720/benq-w1070-144hz-compatible-dlp-link-3d-glasses#post_22771774

Don't know if it is really 144hz or 96hz. There is at least one DLP-Link glasses that do support 96hz and 120hz but not 144hz and these do not work with W1070.

To my understanding it is possibly to do 144hz with single chip DLP and TI did some improvements to DC3 chipset recently so maybe there is now enough processing power to do 144hz. DMD chip itself can do 400hz.

Maybe there is some way to measure this? Motion is smooth so it is either 96hz or 144hz. If it's 96hz then there is some magic happening because it really do look like it flickers a bit less then 120hz.

I can also confirm that 144Hz mode has less flicker than the 120Hz, yet I only have the Sainsonic ones to test. They're not very good though in terms of picture quality and would lose sync. Motion on 144Hz is also very smooth.

#11 ·
Hi guys, new to this site, Great Forum! I'm thinking about the W1070 long and hard! I currently got the BenQ MW519 that also works at 96/144hz for 3D blu ray movies. I've had a heck of a time finding glasses that sync with it. BenQ glasses (Part Number: 5J.J7K25.001 (AKA D3)) are apparently the only model they make that sync at these frequencies and are apparently backordered Globally.

ftp://downloads.benq.net/projector/datasheets/3d_glasses/3d_glasses_d3_specsheet_bqus_aug2012.pdf

The Glasses (DLP2) from 3dTV Corp. work, but for me, both pair, seems like each lens has far different contrast levels and look horrible. Ghosting? Don't know the term, but the blacks especially, are just horrible at times, it's like you're drunk. I'd compare it to one lens being foggy or dirty and your brain can't focus both eyes into one clean image . I can't make it 10 minutes into a movie before I stop trying to enjoy it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DLP-LINK-Glasses-2-Mitsubishi-Samsung-DLP-TV-DLP-Link-Projectors-/150882711282?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item23214f76f2

I've been working with Daniel from True Depth about this BenQ dilemma (they bought my model for trial) and he's sending me 2 pairs of a newly engineered design for trial and what I think of them. Should be here tomorrow. I also bought a pair of SainSonic 144Hz from EBay and will be getting those early next week. I will update after I try each of them.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SainSonic-144Hz-3D-DLP-Link-Ready-Universal-Rechargeable-Active-Shutter-Glasses-/180897556929?pt=US_Video_Glasses&hash=item2a1e55a9c1

#12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by energizer30  /t/1448720/benq-w1070-144hz-compatible-dlp-link-3d-glasses#post_22783525

Hi guys, new to this forum. Great Forum! I'm thinking about the W1070 long and hard! I currently got the BenQ MW519 that also works at 96/144hz for 3D blu ray movies. I've had a heck of a time finding glasses that sync with it. BenQ glasses (Part Number: 5J.J7K25.001 (AKA D3)) are apparently the only model they make that sync at these frequencies and are apparently backorder Globally.
http://www.benq.us/product/projector/3dglasses-d3/specifications

The Glasses (DLP2) from 3dTV Corp. work, but for me, both pairs seem each lens has a far different contrast levels and look horrible. Ghosting? Don't know the term, but the blacks especially, are just terrible.... Can't make it 10 minutes into a movie.

I've been working with Daniel from True Depth about this BenQ dilemma (they bought my model for trial) and he's sending me 2 pairs of a newly engineered design for trial and what I think of them. Should be here tomorrow. I also bought a pair of SainSonic 144Hz from EBay and will be getting those next week. I will update after I try each of them.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SainSonic-144Hz-3D-DLP-Link-Ready-Universal-Rechargeable-Active-Shutter-Glasses-/180897556929?pt=US_Video_Glasses&hash=item2a1e55a9c1

Welcome to the forum, energizer30! Thanks for taking these actions. Your contribution will be much appreciated.

#13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelvink  /t/1448720/benq-w1070-144hz-compatible-dlp-link-3d-glasses#post_22766759

This thread is to attempt to gather information on owner's confirmation on compatible DLP-Link 3D Glasses that work with the new Benq W1070 for 1080p/24fps 3D HDMI input signal. Please note that only 1080p/24fps input mode is relevant here, as all DLP-link 3D glasses will work with the rest of the modes (1080i, 720p, etc)

The following are confirmed:

Compatible:
Ebay Sainsonic 144Hz Glasses
Benq 5J.J7K25.001

NOT Compatible:
Sainsonic White 120Hz Glasses

ALL the above glasses block red flash, and there is no noticeable ghost/crosstalk. Both Sainsonic would lose L/R sync once in a while and require re-syncing by pressing the button (an incident that made my daughter nauseous last night). The benq has the best overall image quality.

Nice to meet ya to KelvinK. I can confirm these don't work either:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0085JBI6S/ref=oh_details_o08_s00_i00

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0053T5QPW/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006DCZTAU/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i01

Like I said, I should be getting those newly engineered TrueDepth glasses from Daniel tomorrow! I hope they're puurfect! God only knows how long they'll be on trial before they offer them for sale to the general public though. As far as I know, I'll be the first "civilian" trying them~!!

#14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Flowers  /t/1448720/benq-w1070-144hz-compatible-dlp-link-3d-glasses#post_22780540

So can the 3DTV CORP glasses like the ones in the below link can be confirmed to be 144Hz and work displaying 1080p blu-rays? They have so many I different models I just want to make sure I'm selecting the right ones.

Yes, I can confirm these at 96/100/120/144hz, however, the performance for me was subpar..... Read my post above.

Also, read some of the reviews on Amazon about Ghosting/Crosstalk.The reviews seem to be very recent so maybe it's just a bad batch.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/community-content-search/results/ref=cm_srch_q_rtr/?query=ghosting&search-alias=community-reviews&idx.asin=B004G2VJM6&Go.x=13&Go.y=10

#15 ·
What exactly is required to display 3d content with this projector?

With a ps3 or xbox, the console itself does the 3d conversion?

With a PC, the nvidia driver would do the 3d conversion...we would have to buy the 3d glasses. Would we also have to buy a "transmitter"? nvidia driver does 3d conversion for games...what about movies? Or would we just have to obtain a copy of a movie in 3d?

#16 ·
Kelvin, I talked to Yan from 3DTV Corp about returning the DLP2's and instead he's sending me the DLPR's and a few other kinds for trial. He's also sending a postage paid return label so I can return the DLP2's along with any others that aren't to my liking. It's GREAT having 16,000 feedback on EBay... Other sellers are soooo trusting! Still waitting on USPS to drop off TrueDepth's beta version of their glasses. Tracking does show them as out for delivery~!!!

#17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by safe bobo  /t/1448720/benq-w1070-144hz-compatible-dlp-link-3d-glasses#post_22785329

What exactly is required to display 3d content with this projector?

With a ps3 or xbox, the console itself does the 3d conversion?

With a PC, the nvidia driver would do the 3d conversion...we would have to buy the 3d glasses. Would we also have to buy a "transmitter"? nvidia driver does 3d conversion for games...what about movies? Or would we just have to obtain a copy of a movie in 3d?

The component's software formats it into some type of 3D, then it's left to other hardware and/or the display to decode it and put it into a format that the display and glasses are compatible with. This projector doesn't need a PC or Nvidia for this purpose. This unit automatically decodes and sends a flash to "DLP-Link glasses" from any 3D consumer based home entertainment "set-top box". That means anything from 3D Blu-Ray players to 3D cable boxes and anything in between.

#18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by energizer30  /t/1448720/benq-w1070-144hz-compatible-dlp-link-3d-glasses#post_22787130

Kelvin, I talked to Yan from 3DTV Corp about returning the DLP2's and instead he's sending me the DLPR's and a few other kinds for trial. He's also sending a postage paid return label so I can return the DLP2's along with any others that aren't to my liking. It's GREAT having 16,000 feedback on EBay... Other sellers are soooo trusting! Still waitting on USPS to drop off TrueDepth's beta version of their glasses. Tracking does show them as out for delivery~!!!

Nice energizer! Can't wait for your findings on these glasses.

#19 ·
I'm using my PC only right now to play back 3D discs and sbs/ou media files. My Sainsonic's are arriving tomorrow for Blu-ray disc playback from my Oppo, which plays back at 1080p/24Hz I believe and the sainsonic's work at the 144Hz multiple of 24Hz. Regular 3D dlp link glasses at 60Hz/120Hz won't work from standalone BR players I believe, with the W1070.

For the PC, I'm using stereoscopic player. This media player plays back both BR discs and sbs/ou media files and you can use regular 60Hz/120Hz glasses from any manufacturer. I'm using optoma ZD-101 and ZD-201 and they work great.

For BR disc playback from the PC, stereoscopic player detects the input signal layout automatically then you choose what output format you want depending on your projector. I choose sbs output layout for the w1070 and set my windows desktop resolution to 1080/60 interlaced and set stereoscopic player aspect ratio to 16:9 and "half width". It works very well. Can't get anything if I leave the desktop resolution at 720p even though the manual says it works.

For sbs/ou media file playback from the PC, the only difference from the above BR disc playback is that you have to tell stereoscopic player the input signal layout format (sbs/ou).

So you don't really need 144Hz glasses if you only use the PC for playback, but I ordered them for the oppo.

#20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyee  /t/1448720/benq-w1070-144hz-compatible-dlp-link-3d-glasses#post_22791039

For the PC, I'm using stereoscopic player. This media player plays back both BR discs and sbs/ou media files and you can use regular 60Hz/120Hz glasses from any manufacturer. I'm using optoma ZD-101 and ZD-201 and they work great.

For sbs/ou media file playback from the PC, the only difference from the above BR disc playback is that you have to tell stereoscopic player the input signal layout format (sbs/ou).

So you don't really need 144Hz glasses if you only use the PC for playback, but I ordered them for the oppo.

"ZD-201"

Do you mean the OPTOMA BG-ZF2100GLS? If so, those say they work at 96/144hz. My thought is you can only use them in RF with the special emitter with those frequencies but can't confirm. Can you try those without the PC and just the W1070?

"So you don't really need 144Hz glasses"

Mostly on-line game players wish to mess with this. Most consumers just want a simple way to play movies with normal home entertainment equipment, not PC's. They don't want glitches and a ton of software, drivers and other setting to constantly mess with. They just wanna pop it in and push play. Additionally, these should provide a better 3D, much like it was intended to look like from the studio.

#21 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyee  /t/1448720/benq-w1070-144hz-compatible-dlp-link-3d-glasses#post_22791039

You do not need 144hz glasses with PC but then you miss one amazing feature W1070 offers, smooth playback with 24hz 3D material(as smooth as it can get without FI) and you lose resolution of course.

#22 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by energizer30  /t/1448720/benq-w1070-144hz-compatible-dlp-link-3d-glasses#post_22791404

"ZD-201"

Do you mean the OPTOMA BG-ZF2100GLS? If so, those say they work at 96/144hz. My thought is you can only use them in RF with the special emitter with those frequencies but can't confirm. Can you try those without the PC and just the W1070?

No, I mean these and these

#24 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelvink  /t/1448720/benq-w1070-144hz-compatible-dlp-link-3d-glasses#post_22787367

Nice energizer! Can't wait for your findings on these glasses.

Got the TrueDepth Beta's. Just checked it out for a few minutes so far with all the lights on so don't expect alot till I can watch awhile and try a few picture tweaks.

Good news! They actually work~!! Bad news, seem better then the 3dTV corps DLP2's but seem to have a simular problem. It's like the right eye shows everything a couple of shades lighter. Not so bad with light colors but with the dark scenes, you get an almost black with the left eye and an assortment of dark grays with the right. Is there a name for this?

I know it's not my eyes, I got a 65" 3D tv with IR glasses and it looks incredible~!!

Now, it can't be a coincidence both brands show the same problems in the same eyes, can it? I wonder if BenQ has some Proprietary technology going into their 3D projectors so you have to buy their glasses?

#26 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by barge01  /t/1448720/benq-w1070-144hz-compatible-dlp-link-3d-glasses#post_22797896

Hey guys I really only use 3d for pc games through nvidia 3dvision and I can only play games using 720p resolution so am I right in saying that any DLP 3d glasses will work With the w1070? And that the 144hz glasses are only for 3d 1080p viewing?

Yes, games play at 720P@ 60 X 2 = 120 hz.. This projector does play PS3 in 3D at 120hz with most any DLP glasses without a PC, etc.

3D Blu-rays play at 1080P@24hz 24 X 2 identical frames (Studio Standard) = 48 X 3 flashes per frame = 144hz (which means you get 2 frames every frame toggled between both eyes). Every studio 2 frames, you get 3 frames per eye.

#27 ·
Energizer30, just make sure do you have W1070 because i saw in W1070 main thread that you got MW519. There is change that MW519 is not 144hz but 96hz with 24hz material instead like some other 720p DLP's and there is a risk for false information about working glasses.

Most 144hz glasses do work with 96hz but there is 96hz glasses that do not operate 144hz frequency, so they could work fine with MW519 but not with W1070.

But MW519 could also be 144hz. If you have 3DTV play do simple test with stereocopic test that can be found in the nvidia control panel.

Swap through all modes(24hz, 50hz, 60hz) with 3DTV enabled and use some ambient light to help. Most flicker by far should come from 50hz and least amount flicker with 24hz.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.