Autoscopic 3D ready for Prime-Time from any angle and any distance... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 01-12-2013, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 38
it seems like it might be:

http://armdevices.net/2013/01/13/stream-tv-networks-utra-d-2160p-upscaling-and-glasses-free-3d-auto-generation/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=XXCnczdU9Hk

Seems like we might be about to turn a serious corner for 3D viewing... real-world "no compromise" autoscopic 3D might be close at hand.

The guy in the first video talks a lot about on-the-fly 3D processig from 2D content via their processor (their 3D format also includes a depth-axis i addition to paralax left/right info), but he didn't mention how compatible it would be with "stereo 3D" like we have on blu-ray and our current film library which does not incude a dedicated depth axis (though it would seem easy for a processor to determine from the differential between the left ad right eye content).

thoughts? Seems like big del to me. Wondering if you guys feel the same.

1080p and lossless audio. EVERY BD should have them both.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 01-12-2013, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Yeah, it's a big deal, just not right now. We won't see these anywhere close to production for years. I'm sure not putting off buying a new (current) TV because of it.

Welcome to Rivendell, Mister Anderson.
post #3 of 13 Old 01-13-2013, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 38
the rep stated that during 2013 the product will appear on store shelves as they've partnered with a TV manufacturer (they won't say who) to liscense the technology.

1080p and lossless audio. EVERY BD should have them both.
post #4 of 13 Old 01-13-2013, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Eh, I dunno. Even if they do end up on store shelves this year, which I find highly unlikely regardless of what they say (if it were that production-ready, it would have been Sony or LG showing it off, and not these guys), it'll probably be up there with the 4K technology.. priced so far out of reach of the average consumer that normal Joes like myself wouldn't hope to be able to afford one for years.

That's the thing with any new technology.. the chances of something like this hitting the market this year, at the same price point as current 3D TVs, are so small as to not even be worth thinking about.

I'm not downplaying the concept, I think it just sounds a little too good to be true right now. We'll get there eventually, just not right now.

post #5 of 13 Old 01-14-2013, 11:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I could see this adding an extra eye view between the left and right eye, but not views OUTSIDE the left and right images- in other words don't expect to be able to lean to the side to see around corners. They might try to approximate things, but I would guarantee you'll be seeing distorted halos around the edges of foreground objects.

My Videos

A movie with good 3D does not necessarily equal a good 3D movie!

post #6 of 13 Old 01-17-2013, 01:18 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 145
I saw this at CES2012 and tried to shoot some video with my Sony 3D camcorder. I had marginal success but no where near as good as I would have liked.

Last week I met with them again and the COO explained that I could capture some 3D effect if he paused the image on the screen and I slowly panned the camera across the TV. I was surprised that it actually did generate some depth on my passive monitor here. However, the actual in person 3D is quite good. The best I have ever seen for glasses free. While parallax barrier screens like we have on our camcorders suffer head position requirement to see 3D, the Ultra-D does not. You can see the 3D effect over a wide area and by as many people in the audience that can fit in that area, normally 15-20 in front of a 55" TV.

The Picture quality did not appear to be true 2160p but rather a 1080p and the 1080p TV's had a picture quality similar to a 720p playing DVD.

In my video look at the last scene where they paused the image for me for the recording:
post #7 of 13 Old 01-17-2013, 01:25 PM
AVS Club Gold

jedi- This glasses free 3D stereoscopic TV looked real good for an advertising panel and in their booth displays showing this application, when you walked in to that area the 3D popped out and grabbed your attention, unlike flat world ads. It was actually quite impressive and given the fact you didn't need to make an effort to see it as no glasses were required, it ads a new use for 3D that we have not been able to do before.
post #8 of 13 Old 01-17-2013, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Don't get me wrong, I know it's the real deal, I've read several eyes-on reports. I just don't think it's going to hit shelves this year at a reasonable price.

I plan on buying a "normal" passive TV in a couple months, and I figure when it's time to replace that one, these glasses-free 4K models should be down to acceptable prices. smile.gif Like most big stuff at CES, I presume just about all of it to be several years away from normal consumer pricing.

Let me clarify something, though.. this is not some kind of head-tracking thing, because someone was experimenting with that a couple years ago... multiple people can sit side by side and watch the same content, right?

At the end of your second video, I saw some "rippling" effect when you moved the camera side to side. Is that what makes this effect work? (I know they were mum on how it worked, but it seems like this would be part of it). As a result, I would almost expect there to be some "dead spots" where the effect isn't visible. Was that the case? Or was the effect constant the entire way across the frame?

This does bring up another problem... what's going to happen to the movies where the 3D version's brightness is bumped up to compensate for the glasses? I know most of them probably aren't, but I know a few that are.

post #9 of 13 Old 01-17-2013, 10:15 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Let me clarify something, though.. this is not some kind of head-tracking thing, because someone was experimenting with that a couple years ago... multiple people can sit side by side and watch the same content, right?

No head tracking. That was something Toshiba was and still is working on. It doesn't seem they have made much progress in the past year on it.

15 to 20 people gathered in front of an Ultra-D see 3D no problem. I saw people walk by the sets and notice the 3D pop out at them, they stop and watch, not being used to the idea of glasses free 3D.

Dead spots are outside the large zone sweet area. The ripple effect seems to be an artifact of the paused video and my camera zoomed in slightly. I didn't see that in person with my eyes. The screen is special and appears to look like micro tiny lenses, kind of like those old CRT screens with a dot pattern. The 2160p panels are much smaller and more tightly packed dots or tiny lenses than the 1080p screens. There was a horizontal plane requirement in that when I turned my head on side the 3D effect went away but tilting slightly was not critical.

Brightness shouldn't be an issue since that can easily be adjusted in most modern monitor circuits. Many of today's newest glasses are nearly clear anyway.

I think your other assessments on the readiness of this to market are pretty accurate. reasonable cost may be a couple years ( 2014 ) before we see 4K glasses free at $1500 for 65" I will spend $3000 tops for a 4K LED /OLED 65" passive but no more! I'm in the market for one as soon as the price gets there to hang behind my roll down FP screen. I'm in no hurry since my projector system is working fine.
post #10 of 13 Old 01-18-2013, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Sucks that it takes a hit in quality but still very interesting... something like this at 100+ inch size would be very nice....

Monster Gold Plated Optical Cables: http://monstercable.com/productPage.asp?pin=1263

Awesome user review: "Unreal quality. Sounded like I upgraded my speakers." :D
post #11 of 13 Old 01-18-2013, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Don, thanks for the effort in trying to capture the offscreen 3D.

I saw the 3D effect invert numerous times throughout the video, so I was seeing an inverted TV signal within a non-inverted camcorder recording. To correct it I flipped my glasses, but that inverted the real world objects outside the TV feed, including reflections right on the screen as well as text you had overlaid. And it wasn't just a brief moment of inversion, it was for extended periods of time that you shot outside the hotspot. Since this video was supposed to showcase how impressive the technology was, I have to label this a massive failure! Perhaps when you recorded you were looking at the flip-out camcorder screen from an inverted angle?

My Videos

A movie with good 3D does not necessarily equal a good 3D movie!

post #12 of 13 Old 01-18-2013, 04:36 PM
AVS Club Gold

cakefoo- Yes, it was a massive failure but only my effort to shoot it. The Ultra D system does work very well. . While the view from just about anywhere in front of those TV's was excellent 3D with plenty of pop and depth, I could not capture it with my TD10. There was one experiment I was planning to try but just didn't have the stamina to do it in that crowd, even on the last day. That was to bring two NEX5n's with a short bench and my monopod. Here, I felt that if I could set those up to replicate human eye I.O. ( 65mm) maybe that would be the secret to seeing 3D with this Ultra D system. Basically, I ran out of other ideas on how to record the 3D off this system. The tech guy at the booth told me my idea of twin cams would not work either. The big question is why would human eyes see 3D on this and a camcorder can't?

So far my special filters for passive and I have one I made for active too work well to shoot and preserve 3D off those monitors, but the auto stereo TVs just doesn't work. Not even the Toshiba system which does have a sweet spot for viewing.
post #13 of 13 Old 01-18-2013, 04:41 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devedander View Post

Sucks that it takes a hit in quality but still very interesting... something like this at 100+ inch size would be very nice....

More like this at 8K screen resolution would keep the quality we want and the glasses free 3D. They are very secretive about the technology on this.

There has to be a patent filed now on this since they have made the technology public now for over a year. Time to do a patent search and see what they are doing.
Reply 3D Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page