Best Passive 3d Display??? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 01-13-2013, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks,

I have been looking around and would really like to get a 60" passive 3d set.

Does anyone know of any?

Thanks..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 01-14-2013, 09:03 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 29
google is your friend...
post #3 of 16 Old 01-19-2013, 09:06 AM

Ron - awesome help. Maybe you can be constructive and try to help next time.

To my knowledge only three makers are utilizing passive technology at this time - LG, Toshiba, and Vizio. I just purchased the LG 60LM7200 and like it. Vizio has a 65" 3D set but I cannot recall Toshiba making a >=60" set. Toshiba's website only list 3D TVs up to 55". LG does make the 65LM6200 but I am not sure about the 7600 or 8600 being available in anything larger than 55". I'll discount the 4k set since my guess is you are not looking to spend car like prices on a TV.

There is a start for you. Best Buy has (or had depending on your location) the 60LM7200 in store.
post #4 of 16 Old 01-19-2013, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I'm eyeballing the 60LM7200 myself, but it'll probably be a month or so before I buy it.

Welcome to Rivendell, Mister Anderson.
post #5 of 16 Old 01-19-2013, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply.

I have been doing a lot of reading in forums on hdtv's, especially 3d tv's/
One question?
It appears the majority of posters do not like LG tv's. Why is this?
And the favorite by far appears to be Panasonic.

I am set on getting passive. I saw a 3d 55" Lg in the store and thought it was excellent.
But I have my heart set on either a 60 or 65"

I have been considering Vizio's 65" 3d tv but am a little concerned that may be too big.
I will be sitting 8 ft from the screen. What are your opinions on that?
Is that too close for sd dvd's, upconverted via Sony 3d blu ray player?

I did not know that LG has a 60" 3d tv.
What is your experience with that tv?
Especially the 3d quality and offangle viewing?

Thanks so much guys!
I love this forum.
Steve
post #6 of 16 Old 01-19-2013, 04:46 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Panasonic has had passive 3-D sets since last year, and Sony is rolling out several passive models this year also (and not just in the super expensive 4K catagory). Sony has a 60" passive model coming in this upcoming wave. In fact, Sony has more passive models this year than active.
post #7 of 16 Old 01-19-2013, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 34
On one side I am not sure a 65 would be terribly too big where a 60 is good... so wouldn' worry too much about that.

My concern would be the scanline issue with passive at 8 feet from a 60+ inch set... have you checked that this is really what you want?

I have a 55 and at 10 feet I am still not terribly happy with that aspect of it... at 8 feet on an even bigger set I think I might find it really offensive.

I'd check that aspect before anything else....

After that I think LG is just fine, a lot of LG hate has come along I think because they seemed to focus on the thin bezel more than picture quality in 2012...

I am fine with mine though... go ta lower end one for BF (55lm4700) and while there's a bit of flashlighting and some uneveness on dark/black scenes overlal it's a pretty decent picture with good colors and brightness.

I have heard really good things about the 7600 and up models...

Monster Gold Plated Optical Cables: http://monstercable.com/productPage.asp?pin=1263

Awesome user review: "Unreal quality. Sounded like I upgraded my speakers." :D
post #8 of 16 Old 01-19-2013, 07:24 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonAlam View Post

google is your friend...

it's DB's like this that the Ignore List was invented, Hopefully someone returns the favor in kind the next time this guy needs help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cetrax1 View Post

I have been considering Vizio's 65" 3d tv but am a little concerned that may be too big.

I was considering the 65" Vizio 3D too, BUT Vizio's don't have the 2D to 3D conversion feature which let's you watch 2D programming in 3D.
post #9 of 16 Old 01-20-2013, 05:53 AM
Advanced Member

sorry to seem like a DB esoxlee and jmbreci, no disrespect intended, but when I see a question like why is the sky blue, or does anyone make a 60/65" tv? I get a little hesitant to answer. If you look at my other posts, I have no issues helping the said users on this forum, but I get a little irritated when the OP doesn't even bother researching a little before posting, and having more of a finite question to ask. I do agree it was a little douchey of me to post what I did, but I see so much of this here lately that it I feel people need to make a small attempt to do some research first and then post. Its almost like asking how to fix the flashing 12:00 on a vcr. Again no disrespect intended, but im hoping the users here will do some leg work on their own.
post #10 of 16 Old 01-20-2013, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Everyone,
Well I made the plunge today with my first 3d tv. I'm Really Excited...
I will be hooking it up tomorrow.

I got the LG-55LM8600 at a local store for $1500.
I have a couple of Newbie questions.

It comes with a 1 year man warranty. The sales rep was REALLY pushing their 5 year "everything" warranty for $399?
I did Not take this warranty. I still have 30 days in case I want to get it? I see the value of 5 years of security, but Wow that is a steep price.
What is your opinion on extended warranties. Are they worth it? Should I reconsider? I would hate to have something happen in 14 months and not have it, but do not want to waste my money.

Also does anyone know where I can find the calibration settings for this model tv
Once again thanks for the help you guys are Great.....
Steve
post #11 of 16 Old 01-20-2013, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonAlam View Post

sorry to seem like a DB esoxlee and jmbreci, no disrespect intended, but when I see a question like why is the sky blue, or does anyone make a 60/65" tv? I get a little hesitant to answer. If you look at my other posts, I have no issues helping the said users on this forum, but I get a little irritated when the OP doesn't even bother researching a little before posting, and having more of a finite question to ask. I do agree it was a little douchey of me to post what I did, but I see so much of this here lately that it I feel people need to make a small attempt to do some research first and then post. Its almost like asking how to fix the flashing 12:00 on a vcr. Again no disrespect intended, but im hoping the users here will do some leg work on their own.

RonAlam,
I did plenty of research and found plenty of 55" Passive 3d sets, but was having trouble finding 60" PASSIVE sets. That's why I asked for the advice.
If my post bothered you the proper thing to do would have been Not to reply to it all.
post #12 of 16 Old 01-21-2013, 01:53 PM
Advanced Member

post #13 of 16 Old 01-21-2013, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter

RonAlam,

Thanks. That was Useless...
Gives sets of all sizes and includes active.

Worthless...
post #14 of 16 Old 01-21-2013, 05:07 PM
Advanced Member

"=60%22+passive+3D+LED+tv"
so clearly the issue here is your inability to research...good luck on your search sir.
post #15 of 16 Old 01-21-2013, 05:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Ron, you should know that your search does not return only passive 3d sets. Google attempts to match any of those terms, so you pull up just as many 3D LED sets, that aren't necessarily passive.

Also, "Passive" 3d does not have an agreed-upon way to delineate in data. Try searching for a "passive" 3d tv on just about any major ecom retailer to see what I mean. "Passive" just isn't in most data feeds, which are the backbone of a good search.

In case you are wondering, I work in search. smile.gif

The thing is, a forum like this is the PERFECT place to ask this kind of question, and have actual humans answer your question. This is important because the people that frequent this forum really CARE about the tech, and in many cases have a pretty deep understanding of it.

So I understand what you're saying, but the fact is a Google search isn't ALWAYS the best answer. And I am glad he asked this, because I came here tonight because I too am in the market for a Passive 3D TV. smile.gif
post #16 of 16 Old 01-21-2013, 07:12 PM
Advanced Member

Irisdoom, thanks for your comment. The link i posted also brings you to avsforums to other threads with the same topic, my point is that I dont have an issue with helping people here, but would love to see some legwork done prior to asking for help. What did the OP do to look at whats available? He/She may have, but here is what I read:
"I have been looking around and would really like to get a 60" passive 3d set.
Does anyone know of any?"

My translation: "pick a TV for me that I may or may not buy and I have no idea whats out there and I dont want to look"

Again, I could be wrong, but thats how the post started, just my two cents, im done with this thread.

PS: I did search passive 3d TV
https://www.google.com/#hl=en&sugexp=les%3B&gs_rn=1&gs_ri=hp&tok=NR-xaOzY-R5QYwQJtvudsA&cp=14&gs_id=3&xhr=t&q=passive+3d+tv&es_nrs=true&pf=p&tbo=d&output=search&sclient=psy-ab&rlz=1C2CHFX_enUS503US504&oq=passive%22+3d+tv&gs_l=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=bv.41248874,d.aWc&fp=786c40f5ccee9df6&biw=1920&bih=955

And by spending less than 10 seconds it lists numerous brands and sizes for "Passive" 3D tv sets. A little "research" goes a long way.
Reply 3D Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page