Best 3D for computer gaming... - AVS Forum
3D Displays > Best 3D for computer gaming...
miahallen's Avatar miahallen 03:47 PM 01-14-2013
Many people (it seems to me) are longing for 3D 1080p60 in a size larger than 27"....but up until now, 27" is as big as it gets. I'm quite frustrated with the wait, and I cannot understand why manufactures have allowed this gap. I wish Acer or Optima, or Mitzubishi, or NEC would get off their collective butts and give us a 3D Vision certified 1080p projector with a DVI connection. There is no technical reason they could not do it. The only reason I've seen speculated by other enthusiasts is that the demand isn't big enough. But I call BS.....I see so many people asking about larger 3D 1080p display options....I've seen so many complaining that they didn't know their 1080p "3DTV Paly" display was limited to 720p with 3DTV Play. I've been running an Acer H5360 (720p) on a 100" screen for the past year, and I love it.....but the pixels are HUGE!!! I really would like a higher resolution. mad.gif

But enough of my rant....I've finally caved, I think, and I'm ready to throw down on three 27" displays. I don't see much discussion about computer monitors here, but I wanted to ask if anyone has any first hand experience with the Acer HN274H BMIIID VS The Asus VG278HE. They are both 27" 3D Vision monitors, but the Acer is only $400 where the Asus is $500, and for the premium provides Lightboost technology. I'm wondering if the premium is money well spent?

If anyone knows of any reason I should wait, PLEASE let me know. I was really hoping we'd finally have the answer to are prayers announced at CES, but it just hasn't happened frown.gif

Paul33993's Avatar Paul33993 06:10 PM 01-14-2013
Doesn't seem to be any reason to wait. CES, as far as I could tell, was a massive disappointment.

One thing you need to understand about the Asus HE is that's the refresh. It does 144hz 2D (still limited to 120hz for 3D I believe). While the refresh is superior, it no longer includes the 3D Vision 2 kit built in. That's a separate purchase. The 278H has it built in. The 278H had some user complains about "figure 8" lighting issues. A google search will enlighten you. Despite that, assuming you got a good panel, it's considered the best 3D display out there. The 278H is even better, but again, that'll require additional money for the 3D kit.
miahallen's Avatar miahallen 07:23 PM 01-14-2013
Thanks for your thoughts Paul.

I already have a 3D Vision kit & four pairs of glasses, so I'm not worried about that. I'm also aware of the lighting issues on the original Asus model....so far I haven't seen any similar complaints about the HE version.

The 144Hz refresh seems nice, but from what I've read, you can't tell the difference anyway. The big selling point in my mind is Lightboost which is supposed to help with brightness levels in 3D. I'm just not sure if its worth the extra $$$.
blackoper's Avatar blackoper 06:10 AM 01-16-2013
Why not go a different direction and get two more h5360s. Turn all three to portrait mode and use nthusim to align/blend them all. Nthusim works with nvidia 3d vision. You'd end up with a 2160x1280 projected image. I'm seriously thinking about doing it myself as I too am tired of 720p gaming with my h5360. One caveat is I'd probably add a quiet 120mm fan on each projector to actively help cool them in portrait mode.

I'm between doing that and just waiting for the consumer version Oculus Rift
miahallen's Avatar miahallen 09:04 PM 01-19-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackoper View Post

Why not go a different direction and get two more h5360s. Turn all three to portrait mode and use nthusim to align/blend them all. Nthusim works with nvidia 3d vision. You'd end up with a 2160x1280 projected image. I'm seriously thinking about doing it myself as I too am tired of 720p gaming with my h5360. One caveat is I'd probably add a quiet 120mm fan on each projector to actively help cool them in portrait mode.

I'm between doing that and just waiting for the consumer version Oculus Rift

LOL, I already have a Rift dev kit on on order tongue.gif

I have thought a lot about getting two more H5360s....but a big concern for me is heat. In the summer, my room can easily sit in the mid 30s (Celcius)...adding two more projectors will surely push it to very uncomfortable levels. Also, portrait mode will not work with front projection. Sketch it out with the proper distance & angles...you will be blocking the lightpath. Landscape is fine with me (my primary use would be iRacing where a wide FOV is very important) however so that is what I was looking into while I considered it. There are many other reasons I don't think I would be happy with the setup as well.
miahallen's Avatar miahallen 09:12 PM 01-22-2013
So, I've broken down and ordered three Asus VG278HE 3D Vision monitors. They normally sell for $500 each, which is a lot for my budget, but I found in the Amazon warehouse deals section, they are going for less than $400 each, I just ordered three for $375 a piece.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00906HM6K/sr=8-1/qid=1358907086/ref=olp_tab_used?ie=UTF8&colid=&coliid=&condition=used&me=&qid=1358907086&seller=&sr=8-1

Its still a large investment, but I think it will be worth it. I'll be running them with two MSI Lightning Extreme 3GB GTX580 graphics cards in SLI (water cooled)....they should have plenty of power for the configuration, I'll also have a standard 580 for PhysX and additional screens.
blackoper's Avatar blackoper 05:47 AM 02-01-2013
interested to see how they run for you
miahallen's Avatar miahallen 03:43 PM 02-04-2013
My only previous experience with a 3D LCD monitor was with a Planar SA2311W (still considered one of the best 3D Vision monitors), I found the crosstalk to be unbearable. I really appreciate a clean image, and despite this providing one of the best, it wasn't good enough. But it was first generation technology, and I could understand that.

So in January 2012, I bough the Acer projector mentioned above. It uses DLP technology and crosstalk or "ghosting" was non-existant. I loved it, and I fell in love with 3D. The downside as I ranted above, it was limited to 720p.

So my new VG278HE monitors arrived yesterday, a much newer design than the old Planar monitor, boasting this new "Lightboost" technology.....should be amazing right? Wrong!!! The ghosting is still way too distracting. I cannot seem to dial it out as some have suggested. I'm quite frustrated at this point...either I just used them in 2D mode, or I sell them off and get two more H5360 projectors for 3D Vision surround with proper 3D (at a lower resolution). mad.gif

Ah who knows, I'll play with them a bit more and report back if I can find any settings I'm happy with rolleyes.gif
lurkor's Avatar lurkor 04:17 PM 02-04-2013
I have a VG278 and was disappointed with the ghosting at first after coming from a Zalman at the right angle. However over time it seemed to fix itself as it burned in. Hopefully it will work out for you. I do like the lightboost as it compares pretty favorably to the passive. It's hard to beat DLP for ghosting though.
miahallen's Avatar miahallen 04:43 PM 02-04-2013
Yeah, I guess I've been spoiled....I hope I can adjust, and if it improves with time - all the better. I'll report back when I've had more time with them cool.gif
miahallen's Avatar miahallen 06:14 AM 02-09-2013
Well, CallsignVega suggested contrast @ 52 and Lightboost at 10% in a dark room. It's actually working out OK. Is there still crosstalk? Yes....but I am training myself to ignore it little by little. rolleyes.gif
lurkor's Avatar lurkor 05:08 PM 02-09-2013
I'm not sure the cause and effect since my memory isn't what it used to be, but the 3D picture quality has gotten better over time. I showed it to a friend of mine before and after and he agrees, so I don't think I'm hallucinating. With a little luck you won't have to ignore it for too much longer.
Up
Mobile  Desktop