Help Me Pick a 3D TV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 04-08-2013, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys, I've been around this site here and there over the years and have found AVS to be about the best site to go to ask questions like what I pose above.

I' ve been doing research for a long time on 3D TVs and have yet to find a good consensus. I try to find a review of any set I look at, although CNET is about the only spot I know for reviews. Then I see things like the TV's they recomend most for my budget(ST50 Panny) is considered in real world settings to look soft. Then I see the ST60 has pretty significant gaming lag.

So a bit about the use. This set will be used pretty evenly between blu rays/netflix/other streaming apps and gaming. I am a fairly big gamer, so very little gaming lag is important to me.

I am wanting a set of at least 50-55", though leaning toward 55" if I'm honest.

I know that technically active 3D is "better" in the fact that I could get full 1080p HD from my 3D sources, but I am not too bothered there.

I sit roughly 8-9' from the set and pretty much keep the room dim all day/night.

Most importantly is my price range, which is going to be up to around $1500 give or take. I would also if possible like to be able to just pick the set up at a local brick and mortar. As far as electronic stores I have Best Buy and HH Smeg around here, also of course have Sears, Walmart, etc...and I may be able to get to a Sam's if needed. Now with this store pick up thing I should mention I drive a Jetta, so if the old stand by of do NOT transport a plasma laying down still applies...well that sucks but I can deal with making the store deliver it to me if needed, just wouldn't mind a refresher on that if PDP is the best idea.

Thanks a ton for any assistance you guys/gals can provide to me on this. I'm sure this has been asked many times, but I am unable to find exactly what I'm looking for with search.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-08-2013, 04:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Have you considered a projector. You describe your room as dim, perfect for a projector. The BenQ 1070 is around $1000, super low lag and why have a punny 55" screen when you can go to 80" + . Once you see 3D on these projectors you won't ever want to watch a small screen again.
VXXJesterXXV likes this.

Smart enough to know better, to old to care
post #3 of 7 Old 04-09-2013, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter

I've decided on the Samsung PN60E8000, I found this at amazon for just under $1900. Considering it is the flagship from last year I am assuming I should be getting a nice set here.

I seriously did consider a projector, but being in a fairly small apartment, it just didn't make sense at this time. When I have my own house to play with, projector all the way. smile.gif
post #4 of 7 Old 04-18-2013, 08:55 PM

I went with the Panny WT50. Great 3D picture at a great price. I found this set for $1299 at Paul's TV
post #5 of 7 Old 05-14-2013, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 78
I got a Panasonic TC-P60ST60 a few days ago --- 60" plasma, active 3D, 2013 model, $1500 from Best Buy (including 2 3D glasses). It looks really good to me in 3D (and has gotten very good reviews for 2D, also). I just posted some 3D settings for it here: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1466472/2013-panasonic-settings-issues-thread/600_60#post_23312907.

I can't compare a passive 3D display for you, since I haven't seen one, but I've had a Samsung PN58C8000 for 3 years, and I found 3D on that so dingy and unpleasant to watch that I gave up watching it. The new Panasonic is much better -- brighter, better colors, little ghosting. I watched 3D for several hours yesterday -- a BD documentary on Arabia and several documentaries recorded from DirecTV's 3NET channel -- with no eyestrain. It's also considerably more fun to watch than my Sony HMZ-T1 head mounted 3D display.

I've just taken a brief look at a basketball game on ESPN 3D, and it looks okay to me, though perhaps a little dark (given my settings). But I don't follow sports.

Greg Lee
post #6 of 7 Old 05-14-2013, 12:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Well, you've decided already then. smile.gif I would have suggested a Passive 3D set. I think the "full HD" tradeoff is worth the ease of having a bunch of friends over to watch Avatar 3D without having to invest a couple hundred more in glasses. smile.gif Enjoy the new set, though!
post #7 of 7 Old 05-14-2013, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishdoom View Post

I would have suggested a Passive 3D set. I think the "full HD" tradeoff is worth the ease of having a bunch of friends over to watch Avatar 3D without having to invest a couple hundred more in glasses.
It probably seems strange to you, but hosting a 3D Avatar party is not among my ambitions.

Greg Lee
Reply 3D Displays

Tags
Benq W1070 3d Ready Dlp Projector 1080p Hdtv , Samsung Pn60e8000 60 Inch Ultra Slim Plasma 3d Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P60st60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page