Another recommendation thread: best (reasonably priced) 3D tv for watching HD sports on digital cable? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 04-21-2013, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hello all,

I'm in the market to get a new TV and I'm wanting something with 3D. From all I've read it sounds like there's no gold standard out there yet, and what's "best" depends on what and how it will be used.

First, I almost never watch movies. I'll be using the TV to watch NCAA football & basketball, NFL, and soccer (and the Daily Show / Colbert). I have a digital cable box with HD that I think does up to 720p. I'll prolly get ESPN 3D but I plan on using the 2D to 3D conversion a lot instead as it seems to work pretty well (at least it looked good on an LG I saw).

The TV will be located in a living room, which definitely won't be dim, but shouldn't be super bright either. There will be two small windows behind the TV on either side, and a sliding glass door to the right that leads out onto a covered deck.

I've been impressed with the LEDs I've seen at Best Buy and the likes. They seem brighter and more vivid than the LCDs and I like that they use less energy and that they are super thin. This TV will be mounted on the wall above a fireplace so thin & light is a definite plus. That said, I'm definitely still open to anything LCD or plasma if it looks good.

"Smart" features aren't important to me since I have an Xbox 360 and an Apple TV. Screen size: minimum 42", but 47" would prolly be best. Budget: max $1500 (hopefully less).

I'm not sure where I stand on the passive vs. active thing, but I'll note that I do wear glasses a lot.

I'd really appreciate any help you all could provide!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 04-21-2013, 12:12 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Given the fact that you primarily watch sports, I think you have to go with a plasma. What that means is that the Passive vs Active discussion is moot, as Passive 3D is an LED technology not available in plasma. (As far as I know.) I don't have a specific recommend in plasmas, as all my research has been around finding the right passive 3D TV, but I have heard that Panasonic makes great plasma panels overall. Good luck!
Reply 3D Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page