PS3 and 3D via LG TV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 05-12-2013, 07:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys. I use a "Fat" PS3 to send 3D signals to my LG 3DTV. I use an HDMI Cable that was designed and is capable of carrying the 3D signal. However I am having an issue with the display. When viewed without the glasses (just for testing purposes) you can see the two images that make up the 3D picture. But on playing a 3D movie through the PS3 the second image kind of disappears and and leaves a normal type display but it's a bit fuzzy cos its still in 3D

The attached images give a better indication of what i am on about.

Image 1 shows how it should kinda look like without the glasses on the greenish area is obviously the second image. But the display regularly flips between Image 1 and Image 2 - you'll note there is little or no second image but it is there just not very visible. This flicking between the two images can be quite regular or it can be not as regular but still happening (intermittently)

As said the Cable I am using was bought specifically for viewing 3D (after taking advice) through the the PS3. I have checked the 3D through LG's 3D world and it seems a lot better and how I would expect 3D to look. So I am thinking that the problem is either the PS3 or the cable. It wasn't a cheap cable but neither was it mega expensive. After taking a look around forums for how good the "FAT" PS3 is for 3D I am leaning towards an issue with the cable. I am reluctant to purchase a dedicated standalone 3D blue ray player in case it's the Cable.

Therefore I would appreciate your help and advice

Peter

PS the images are simply for demonstrative purposes only
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-12-2013, 10:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Pretty much no chance it's the cable.

Is this a 3D BR or a downloaded video?

Monster Gold Plated Optical Cables: http://monstercable.com/productPage.asp?pin=1263

Awesome user review: "Unreal quality. Sounded like I upgraded my speakers." :D
post #3 of 6 Old 05-13-2013, 04:31 AM - Thread Starter

Hi There, thanks for reading. They are bona Fide 3D BR disks. If it's not the cable then it can only be one other thing..PS3 I am certain the TV is okay

Peter
post #4 of 6 Old 05-13-2013, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 34
So are you sure this isn't just ghosting you are seeing? I mean does the BR movie appear to have 3D depth?

Make sue you are at least 3x screen width from the set and try to get your eyes about mid height on the screen.

When you see this slight double image does moving your head up and down make it worse/better or do these doubles kind of stay there?

It sounds like what you may be describing may just be ghosting as even in the sweetspot the glasses do not stop 100% of ghosting especially in high contrast areas.

Perhaps the LG 3D world content is just shot in a way that hides ghosting better?

Monster Gold Plated Optical Cables: http://monstercable.com/productPage.asp?pin=1263

Awesome user review: "Unreal quality. Sounded like I upgraded my speakers." :D
post #5 of 6 Old 05-14-2013, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter

I am sure it is not ghosting (I know what you mean by it though). I have tried a "slim" PS3 and still the same. It does appear to be 3D but not like the 3D viewed on LG's 3D world. Anyway I am sure you have better things to do with your time than answer my inane questions. So I thank you for you contribution so far. I may just buy a dedicated 3D BR player (one in Amazon uk for around 70 UKP (about $100))
post #6 of 6 Old 05-14-2013, 04:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 44
If you tried 2 different PS3's then a dedicated Blu-Ray player won't solve your problem. Its not the cable as it will either work or not work. Make sure to try 2 different disc's to eliminate a bad Blu-Ray. I don't know what LG's 3D world is but if its an app it is most likely in t/b or Side by side format. It still points to the TV maybe a setting , a defect with the HDMI input or 3D processor. I would try a factory reset on the TV or maybe a firmware upgrade.

Smart enough to know better, to old to care
Reply 3D Displays

Tags
Sony Playstation 3 60 Gb

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page