Vizio or Lg 3D led TV. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 06-13-2013, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I need some help choosing between the two tvs listed below. I would like to know what people's opinion on both. Thanks

VIZIO M551d-A2R 55-Inch 1080p 240Hz 3D Smart LED HDTV

Or
Lg 55la6970 55" CLASS CINEMA 3D 1080P 120HZ LED TV WITH SMART TV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-14-2013, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Go with the LG...Vizio is crap, I had one a few years back, it crapped out after 39 months, 3 months after the warranty expired.
post #3 of 10 Old 06-18-2013, 06:30 PM

I'd appreciate comments too.
Those exact 2 models are the ones I'm deciding between.

Right now. Costco has the Vizio at $999 and the LG at $1299.
So the Vizio is $300 less.

The Vizio has 4 HMDI inputs. The LG has only 3 HMDI.

Am I right that the Vizio and LG both have the main features I want?
Both have 3D
Both have web apps including Amazon Instant Video.
And DLNA networking so I can play movies off my computer hard drive via powerline ethenet.
I could also play movies off local harddrive via USB.

I saw the Vizio connects to internet but has no web browser.
IIs it important? Can you download a browser?

What makes the LG better?

Thanks.
post #4 of 10 Old 06-19-2013, 05:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Maybe others have had better luck than I had with Vizio. As I mentioned, my 32¨Vizio crapped out after 39 months...3 months out of warranty. And the cost of getting repaired was not worth the bother.
post #5 of 10 Old 06-19-2013, 06:12 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Well, you're going to find lots of folks eager to tell you about their bad experiences with any given brand. Last time someone put up figures for reliability of the major brands, nothing stuck out particularly.

My own experience is that my 7 year old Vizio is still going strong, although relegated now to the study (it's only 42"}. OTOH, my 65" LG 65LW6500 developed a vertical line right at the end of the warranty period, and I did report the problem. Got the runaround from LG, and of course during that time the warranty expired. They plain wore me out. Since I was fairly certain what the problem was (TAB bond failure), I had a go at fixing it, successfully. That being the case, I didn't pursue the matter any further, but they're in my bad books. Does that mean you also should avoid LG? No, of course not.

As to the original question: Chances are a Vizio 3D (passive) TV is going to have an LG panel anyway. They make none of their own parts. Assuming an LG panel in both, black levels and contrast are going to be mediocre, at best. Passive 3D has its supporters and detractors, but it looks surprisingly good, to me. My LG has a pretty good onboard media player. Dunno how current Vizios compare in that department. 240 HZ vs 120 HZ is over-rated, IMO. The 240 likely refers to backlight scanning only.

Personally, for comparable models, and especially since the Vizio is a couple hundred less than the LG, I don't see why the Vizio wouldn't be a reasonable choice. Go have a look at both, if you can.

Good luck whatever you get.
post #6 of 10 Old 06-19-2013, 09:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Buy the Vizio & you can get a an extra 4 year extended Squaretrade warranty through them for half (if not less) than the savings. I bought a E701I-A2 70" vizio and they sold me the warranty for 148. Consumer reports lists the best tvs, panasonic etc @ 2% failure rate, Vizio was 4%, they also stated anything less than 3% difference is a wash. Typically in these forums you find people looking for info & people complaining about something, not that their bad experience is bull, I'm sure it's not but it's most likely not the norm.

For the record, I went through 2 LGs, this year, one wouldn't have sound half the times I turned it on, I had to turn of the TV and turn it on again to get sound. The second was a 47LM4700 3D which I liked but I couldn't get a good 2D picture on it no matter what
post #7 of 10 Old 06-19-2013, 11:21 PM

Thanks.

I'm leaning toward Vizio. Had good experience with one before.

Based on the specs, I don't see anything the LG can do the Vizio can't.

The only thing puffery about Vizio is the claim of "effective" 240 hz refresh.

What does the LG have going for it?
post #8 of 10 Old 06-23-2013, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys for the input on the TVs. I ended up with the vizio. It's awesome looks great and I'm happy with it. I also got it from Costco for $1000 so I have a 2 year warranty and 90 days to return it if I don't like it. Costco is the best place to buy a tv IMO. Here it is hanging on my wall. ypadahu2.jpg
post #9 of 10 Old 06-23-2013, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by campcsc77 View Post

Thanks guys for the input on the TVs. I ended up with the vizio. It's awesome looks great and I'm happy with it. I also got it from Costco for $1000 so I have a 2 year warranty and 90 days to return it if I don't like it. Costco is the best place to buy a tv IMO. Here it is hanging on my wall. ypadahu2.jpg
Oh yeah and I used the extra money I was going to use to but the lg and bought the vizio 5.1 sound bar.
post #10 of 10 Old 06-23-2013, 09:08 PM

I got the Vizio from Costco too.
When I went back, I had a scare because it wasn't there. But they had just promoted it to a feature display.
So far so good.
The first thing we watched was a 1938 BW movie from TCM.
The picture was so sharp, it almost looked like videotape.
Thanks for help and thanks for a great forum.
Reply 3D Displays

Tags
Vizio M551d A2r 55 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Lg 47 Inch Led 3d Tv W Soundbar 47lm4700
Gear in this thread