Is there a small 3D TV that supports checkerboard interleaved format? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 07-31-2013, 07:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can someone please recommend a monitor or 3DTV that supports 3D checkerboard interleaved format, but that is not a huge display?

I'm looking for a display that supports 3D interleaved checkerboard format, like the (55 inch) Samsung UN55ES7500 does (but the UN55ES7100 does NOT; note 7500 vs 7100). But I would like the display to be closer to the size of a normal computer monitor. 46 and 55 inch TVs are too big for my purposes.

A 32 inch Samsung would be ideal, but the highest model number for 32 inch Samsungs seems to be UN32<whatever>6500. My assumption is that if the final four digits are 7500 and above, checkerboard format is supported, but for numbers 7100 and below, that format is not supported (at least for the ES series).

Are there other brands that support checkerboard format in smaller monitor sizes? Or can someone prove that one of the 32 inch Samsungs actually supports checkerboard interleaved 3D (preferably with a screen shot of the 3D mode menu)?

Some of you might be wondering why I am so interested in checkerboard format: Because I can easily create 3D scientific animations, in a window, with any video card, from Mac, Linux, and Windows computers. I understand that the per-eye resolution is reduced, but those benefits outweigh this downside. I'm not interested in arguing about that aspect.

But I am eager to explore any suggestions for smaller displays that support checkerboard 3D format.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Christopher Bruns
Visualization Engineer, HHMI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-01-2013, 02:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 23
If resolution is not an issue, then you can always get any passive line-interleaved monitor or tv, there is a bunch of them out there, and they are cheap, with cheap/free glasses. I have a 32" Sceptre, the last price I saw on it was $200, looks great from >6 ft. You don't need HDMI 1.4 3d for these either, if your 3d software supports interleaved (e.g. Youtube).

(Please note checkerboard and interleaved usually are not used togever; interleaved means line-interleaved).
post #3 of 4 Old 08-03-2013, 08:24 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
[this is cmbruns again, posting from a different account]

Thanks Roussi for your thoughtful reply.
Quote:
... if your 3d software supports interleaved ...

Well, I write the software, so it definitely supports line interleaved. But I find that checkerboard 3D screws up non-3D content a bit less than line/row interleaved 3D modes do.

Also I once got a row-interleaved passive Zalman monitor, and it was about the worst stereoscopic display I have ever encountered. Moving my head by as little as two inches was enough to blow the effect. Plus the surface was so shiny, any light in the room turns it into a mirror. So I take issue with the statement that "any" passive line-interleaved monitor will do. I've been bitten once.

I was actually unaware that there are "a bunch" of passive row interleaved TVs/monitors out there. Has anyone written up a comparison of which are the best? Suppose money were no object, what is the best passive row interleaved TV/monitor?
post #4 of 4 Old 08-05-2013, 12:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 23
[Suppose money were no object, what is the best passive row interleaved TV/monitor?[/quote]

My guess is that would be the latest 4K TVs (Sony, LG), but the smallest ones are 55".

As far as the best from the mainstream, I think there are dedicated threads in this forum. As I mentioned, I am happy with my cheap one, and do not follow the latest and greatest.
Reply 3D Displays

Tags
Samsung Un55es7500 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Slim Led Hdtv , Samsung Un55es7100 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Slim Led Hdtv Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page