Sony HMZ-T3 Personal 3D Viewer HMD Rumors, Information and Speculation thread - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #361 of 638 Old 01-14-2014, 07:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikonf5 View Post

Not sure why you are confused.

He is very clear in post #341 in the first paragraph in black.

Thanks smile.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by bravia3D View Post

From what I am told, American and European HMZ-T3 models are basically using the T2's OLED display with little improvements

From what he has been told .. its not a real comparison rolleyes.gif
Quote:
I tried my friends T2 model and compared to my T3, heck.... My T3 blows it away by miles with picture quality

again nothing T3 Jap vs T3 UK so clear .. ( with little improvements ) .. but by how far the T3 J is better !!!
I understand .. he put the T2 as on T3 UK the way he has been told ( little improvements ) and said his impression .. but nothing from real life is there ??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 638 Old 01-14-2014, 09:43 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 48
OK - this weekend I managed to compare my European HMZ-T3W vs Japanese which my friend ordered without knowing the menu issue. Source player - Pioneer BDP-140 with CFW to play 3D BD ISOs. Movies checked - Avatar, Transformers 3, Prometheus. All ripped with AnyDVDHD to full ISOs. To be honest guys I could not spot any difference. However I am shortsighted and wearing glasses (-3 right eye and -2.5 left eye). So maybe somebody with an eagle sight can perform similar test?
yyy484 likes this.
post #363 of 638 Old 01-14-2014, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borland View Post

OK - this weekend I managed to compare my European HMZ-T3W vs Japanese which my friend ordered without knowing the menu issue. Source player - Pioneer BDP-140 with CFW to play 3D BD ISOs. Movies checked - Avatar, Transformers 3, Prometheus. All ripped with AnyDVDHD to full ISOs. To be honest guys I could not spot any difference. However I am shortsighted and wearing glasses (-3 right eye and -2.5 left eye). So maybe somebody with an eagle sight can perform similar test?

Thanks borland to clear some statements out ....
i was about to pull the trigger today on T3w J for the say Triluminos feature !!

and nothing wrong to wait someone test for some time ...

smile.gif
post #364 of 638 Old 01-14-2014, 10:24 AM

and by the way .. nothing has to do with your sighting in terms of PQ as well focused and clear visions is there ...

and you know that already wink.gif

anyway .. Thanks alot borland
post #365 of 638 Old 01-14-2014, 10:28 AM

Liked: 13
To me it sounds strange that Sony would do two different manufacturing lines for the same model. Japan have often got better/more premium tv models too for example, but those have always been distinguished by different
model names or been completely separate model lines. I posted earlier about an US Ebay seller that listed Triluminos as a feature, and now the NZ and Australia Sony sites advertise Triluminos. It becomes very doubtful for me that
Japan has a better model.
post #366 of 638 Old 01-14-2014, 10:31 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by borland View Post

Thanks for clearing that up
post #367 of 638 Old 01-14-2014, 10:37 AM

I am sorry guys but my opinion may be very subjective. Ideally several people should perform blind tests before jumping to conclusion.... However this is what I've got....
post #368 of 638 Old 01-14-2014, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andersos View Post

To me it sounds strange that Sony would do two different manufacturing lines for the same model. Japan have often got better/more premium tv models too for example, but those have always been distinguished by different
model names or been completely separate model lines. I posted earlier about an US Ebay seller that listed Triluminos as a feature, and now the NZ and Australia Sony sites advertise Triluminos. It becomes very doubtful for me that
Japan has a better model.

thats the way i see it 2 .. it doesn't make any sense !!
thats why i was confused here and there looking for somebody to clear things out ...
finally borland give me some time to rest smile.gif
post #369 of 638 Old 01-14-2014, 10:55 AM

Liked: 12

Hi guys,

Here’s my review of the Sony’s HMZ-T3W bought last week on Amazon.es for 956€ (price does not include 21% VAT as I buy as a company).

First off, let me present myself as I’m new to the forum (but a very old reader!). I am Miguel, a spanish guy 30 years old with passion about consumer electronics (specially TVs, projectors, head mounted displays, and video games). I work as a video game developer and run my own independent studio called Lemon Team. I've been on the pinnacle of "the best screen you can ever have" since 1997. I had a 17" CRT when everyone had a 14". Had a 20” IPS when everyone used 15-17" CRTs, then 30" IPS when elsewhere the standard was 20-24" basic TN panels, and so on... I got truly expensive 3D projectors and tried several HMD during the years, starting from the Virtual Boy. Throughout the years I've been buying all kinds of HMDs that came to the market and I returned all back (and I was of course refunded) due to the “under-expectations effect”.

Since I played with the Virtual Boy in 1995 I have dreamed with a moment where HMDs become cheap, small & stylist, and REALLY light, and the most important to me, with such an image quality steps higher than any 2K/4K projector or LCD-LED or Plasma huge TV set. I just got my T3W a few days ago (in part, thanks to the people of this forum) and because of its highly price I think it deserves my personal review for people that feels like I felt not so many weeks ago :-)

To start with, you need to understand that I am VERY CRITIC with technology in general. I'm a nonconformist by nature, but at the same time, as a tech guy that I am, I like to swap my skin with the ones who tried to make the best quality product they could. There’s a lot of people here complaining about “how bad” Sony’s doing with its HMD device over the years. And I want to be clear on that (and I don’t work for Sony, so stay calm). Sony hasn’t made it good enough yet because doing the “perfect” HMD is ****ing crazy difficult. If it really were something easy to achieve, don’t you think we already had a bunch of good HMD’s ready for sale? I’m not attacking anyone here in the forum, I’m just saying this is a very HARD PUZZLE to solve, which might not be resolved until several years to come. Hopefully, and sooner than we might expect, we will end up with a 4K (or even 8K) HMD’s in a sunglasses form-factor and 50gr for just $100, but until then, we just better deal with the technology we have and let’s try enjoy its goodness and forget the limitations :-)

The second thing I want to say prior to analyze the T3W is that I have also tested other modern HMD. Specifically, I tested the HMZ-T1 back in the day and a few months ago I was able to enjoy the SMD ST1080 for about 15 minutes. I also got the Oculus Rift, which we have in the office for prototyping some good stuff right now… :-) Regarding those two, the ST1080 is comparable to the T3W for the kind of experience it provides (a huge screen in front of your eyes) but color reproduction of the LCoS compared to the OLED is nothing to compare… (not mentioning the optics issues I experimented). Yeah, 1080p per eye is gorgeous (impossible to detect the pixel matrix) but if the color & contrast isn’t good enough, high-resolution is worthless IMHO. As for the Oculus, they’re simply not comparable products. For people who ask, I would say them there’s no point in waiting several months for a commercial Oculus Rift if you just want to watch movies and play the games we have TODAY. The Oculus it’s meant to replicate INMERSION feeling, to really feel you’re INSIDE the game (and to achieve that you also need software that supports it, it doesn’t work with existing games and movies). And despite it’s technical limitations (a resolution of only 640x800 per eye) it handles that quite spectacular. The T3W has nothing to do with that, even if you install a head-tracking device in it. The T3W is a PORTABLE CINEMA, not a virtual reality device as it is the Oculus Rift. So please, stop mixing concepts and products that has nothing to do one with each other. As it goes with the T1 vs T3W…let’s just say the T1 was a prove of concept more than a comercial product. Was almost impossible to me to wear it comfortably and to see a CLEAR image.

Sorry for the long write, I just needed to set some background for the following arguments towards the TW3.

The first thing I have to say to make honor to Sony and to its HMZ-T3W is that I’M NOT RETURNING the product. I’m not saying it’s the perfect product I’ve been dreaming for years, but oh god, it’s ****ing good enough :-)

As for the comfort side of things I’m going to be pretty quick. The T3W, as well as its previous versions, IS NOT a comfortable device. Gladly this iteration suits better on my head/face, but other 5 persons that have tried had a hard time trying to find their sweet spots (both in comfort and image quality). I always spent 5 minutes to tweak the best colocation of the HMD, the distance between lenses, my position in the sofa, etc. And in addition to that, the product is ****ing heavy… Yesterday I was playing for about 2 hours (with no interruption) and this thing really weights… :-(  The problem regarding the comfort issues is that each person has a different head and a different face and a different IPD (inter-pupilar-distance), meaning that every review focused in this topic will vary from reviewer to reviewer… I truly think this issue is gonna follow us for the coming years, until someone invents really light & really strong materials being able to produce an HMD of less than 100gr and better comfort options. Also I honestly think the Oculus design, while it looks more “cheapy” and less glamour than the Sony device, is far more confortable. It weights 40gr more than the T3W albeit it feels more light. It would not surprise me if Sony goes that direction for its next T4W or whatever they may call it. So if you want to buy the T3W but you have been scared because of this paragraph, just be aware that your head/face might be a “perfect match” for how the device is designed and everything said here would be useless, otherwise you’re really ****ed… And even in the case it suits you very well, you will end up feeling its weight after the first hour of use. The point of pressure where you will feel the weight depends on the shape of your head/face and the way you colocate it.

Now let’s go to the funny part: Image & Audio. For you to have an idea of my expectations, after using several TVs (LCD-LED and plasma) and projectors, I ended up with a 50” Panasonic VT60 which I see at 2m distance (6,5ft). You can see reviews of that set, which will blow you quite a bit (nowadays it is considered as a REFERENCE TV). I got rid of projectors since they need total darkness to operate well, and my last LCD-LED (Samsung 6500 series) was quickly replaced by my first incursion to plasma, the Panasonic P50GT30 (two generations older than the set I got a couple of months ago, the VT60). The Samsung looked pretty decent with blurays, specially colorful & bright movies, but did underperform on dark scenes where the plasma of the GT30 just blows you away. Even looking at the newest lcd-led panels (whether they use IPS or PVA, back-lit or edge-lit), the performance they provide on dark-to-black levels is just NOT ENOUGH. However, you might be asking why I replaced my GT30 by the VT60 since the image panel is partially the same (the new NeoPlasma from Panasonic). The reason is because several months ago I started playing my PC games in stereoscopic 3D. Once you discover this new way of gaming you don’t want to turn back :-P. Plasma’s active 3D is the best looking 3D (free of ghosting) for watching movies and playing games, but the “free of ghosting” Panasonic claims is not totally true. If the film or the game you’re seeing is very bright and colorful, yeah, both the GT30 (or VT30) and the VT60 looks impressive with no ghosting nor flickering at all. But if you’re playing Doom 3 for example, where you got plenty of dark scenes with shiny spots of lights and reflections everywhere…then you’re doomed :-D Plasma does a very poor job at setting white/bright pixels down to black, exceeding the 8ms time you need to avoid ghosting (a game at 60FPS draws 120 renders per second, which is 8,3ms per frame), unfortunately perceiving parts of the left image/eye also on the right image/eye or viceversa. Trust me if I say that this is a perfect scenario for vomiting after several hours of gaming :-D

The VT60, even as Panasonic claims it goes white-to-black in just 6 ms, provided my personal experience I can say this IS NOT TRUE, ‘cause you can still notice ghosting in dark scenes :-( So this is the main reason why I purchased the T3W; not to play or watch movies on the plain or in the train, but to play games on my sofa in good 3D from a giant “cinema-based” screen.
I can asure you, the VT60 looks GREAT in a room not so much illuminated, much better than any other lcd-led I’ve ever seen. And leaving apart the resolution issues (which I’m discussing later) the T3W looks on par or even better than the VT60 :-)

So let’s go by parts. I’ll try to answer most people doubts, including the Triluminos issue that just raised a few days ago.

My testing material goes like this:
- Movies: Oblivion MKV-2D, Avatar BR-3D, The Life of Pi BR-3D, Top Gun BR-3D, Flight 3D BR-3D (BR = original Bluray)
- Games: Trine 1/2, Just Cause 2, Batman AC, Hard Reset, Shadow Warrior 2013, Doom 3 BFG, Assassin Creed 1/2, Street Fighter 4, Mortal Combat (they all support native stereoscopy 3D).
My library of games and movies is much larger, though I only had time to test the above ones.

1) Screen size: I guess, as this has a lot to do with optics, eye balls and visual cortex, it becomes really difficult to tell whether Sony’s statement of having a 750” screen at 60ft is real or not. My feeling is pretty much real, it actually looks like watching a cinema screen being totally centered. It evens simulates as if the screen was slightly below your eye sight, which is great. Also, the ability to simulate a curved screen brings the cinema kind of experience even more to life, which is great too! As you know, you have the option of lowering the screen size down to a 70%. To my perception, 70% looks slightly smaller than watching my 50” TV at 2m distance. 100% feels like 100” at 2m distance, which if you stop to think/imagine, looks very similar to a cinema screen “sizely speaking”.

2) Resolution: Some people here complain about 720p vs 1080p. No one doubts 1080p screens (an actual pixel-matrix surface of 3840x1080 since your eyes are disposed horizontally) would be the way to go, but the question right now is: 2560x720 (1280x720 per eye) is enough for nowadays content? And the answer is CLEARLY YES, it behaves perfectly well with both games and movies. Actually, it ROCKS! For those of you who might be asking yourselves how the hell this might look… imagine a >=30” 1080p screen sitting in front of your eyes, at a distance long enough so that you can clearly see the borders of the screen without moving your eyes. Try to put text of different sizes in the image you’re seeing (preferably white text over black background to increase contrast and thus aliasing artifacts) and you will have a very approximate idea of how it looks. OF COURSE, IT DOES NOT LOOK PERFECT, text doesn’t look crystal-clear, it is not “retina” quality, but have in mind that the T3W is not meant to replace your desktop monitor for being productive, instead, it is meant to “replace” big TVs and cinemas when you’re on the go, and compare to those ones, the resolution it provides in both 2D and 3D content is more than enough. I can see the same image details on the T3W as well as in the VT60. If I get closer towards my VT60 (1m distance, simulating the screen size of the T3W) I can see the same image artifacts in both movies and games. At that distance (1m from the 50” TV) I can even see the pixels of the screen. They’re not easy to see, you must force your eyes to reveal the pixel matrix, though you can. And the same goes to the T3W. Pixels are not noticeable on screen unless you look through one eye and force your focus as much as you can, then eventually you can see some pixels. That said, I think this is the same debate as 2K vs 4K. Yes, 50” at 1m is not the perfect scenario for a 2K screen, where the 4K simply stands out. But let’s being honest, does the 2K look really bad? CLEARLY NOT, it still looks good but cannot project the amount of detail a 4K display is able to do. So summing it up, the resolution on the T3W is very good, and FullHD films really look like FullHD on the TV. While watching Windows 7 desktop at 1080p (the T3W does a good job at down-scaling without aliasing issues) you can notice that small text DOES NOT look totally clear, but looks good after all. The same goes if you stand up at 1m from the 50” TV, where the small text of the icons look a bit pixelated as in the T3W.

3) Color & Contrast: First I want to be concise given this point. OLED technology (in its many variants) looks much better (in general terms) than any LCD you can buy. It looks also better than any plasma TV, and is on pair with state-of-the-art 2K projectors when used in totally dark conditions. It can produce both bright and dark images, perfect black details, perfect black level, high contrast, very good color gamut on the three R, G and B channels. We will only see this kind of image quality in TVs once LG, Samsung, Philips, Sony, Panasonic, etc, are able to produce BIG OLED pixels without degradation of the organic materials inserted within. But until then, the T3W is the only “affordable” device that can deliver a superior “big screen” quality type of experience. FYI, you got plenty of color profiles (vivid, cinema, game, etc) for every kind of situation, which is great. Honestly I don’t know if the Japanese version (or Australian or whatever) comes with Triluminos technology, but either the case, I don’t ****ing care. Because a screen that already looks PERFECT-color does not need an improvement. And you know, I’m very very very exigent respect to the image quality, and this thing just looks perfect compared to any other TV or projector out there. On the other side of things, manufacturing multiple SKU’s of the same product is something EVERYONE in the industry AVOIDS if it is mentally sane :-P However, the only way to solve this puzzle is having someone testing an American/European version against the Japanese/Australian/NewZealand and tell the difference. Maybe the first models shipped to USA used and older version of the OLED panels, but this is just pure speculation.

4) 3D effect: 3D effect is perfect with no ghosting at all. The depth is great, as it is on my VT60. Things, however, do not exit out of the screen so notably as they do on the VT60. I think this is due to having the tiny screens so close to the eyes, but cannot prove it. Anyways, the 3D effect will not be under your expectations!

5) Refresh rate: These OLED panels are marvelous. You can’t see ghosting or image retention on the image. It really refresh very quickly, much better than the IPS panel of the Oculus Rift Dev Kit. For playing games in non-stereoscopic mode 60hz is enough (>=75hz would be better, but I can live with it), but playing stereoscopic 3D demands more than that. At this point, following John Carmack’s predictions, a 120hz panel is critical for 3D stereoscopy games played in HUGE screens. This is because under those conditions, you’re somehow simulating real-world visibility conditions, where a lot of light is entering your eyes separately. In the real world, photons of light do not enter your eyes at 60hz, but much faster, hence the issue… After playing several hours without resting, I feel eye strain. But it is a weird feeling, I know it has nothing to do with the lenses (as watching 2D movies does not provoke me that effect), but with the stereoscopic vision itself. It feels like my brain is asking for more frames per second to get a smoother animation, more close to real life I guess…

6) Optics: As it happens with the Oculus Rift, optics are a separate mastery. AFAIK, there’s no perfect lenses out there. No matter the size and the shape of the lenses, and the distance towards the little screens, there’s always going to be some “aberration”. Honestly, after playing a lot with the Oculus, I was expecting some degree of aberration on the T3W too, and I was not mistaken. For me is IMPOSSIBLE to see everything focused when I set the screen at 100% size, not even at 90%. At 80 and 70% I do, but then I lose the magic of the “giant” screen. Sadly there’s no other option than configuring the lenses to look focused at center, and a bit blurry at corners. I do think that people with very separated eyes (the oposite to my case, where I measure 58mm instead of the standard 64mm worldwide) will find easier to see the whole screen focused (both center and top-down/left-right corners), although this is just a supposition. So now the million question… does it really matters? And the answer is NO, CLEARLY NOT. Seriously, the image looks sharp and gorgeous. The fact that you can’t see the borders of your cinema screen perfectly focused does not disturb the whole experience at all. Also, take into account that you rarely play with your eyes pointing to a corner of the screen, but rather centered “towards the infiniteness”. There’s another artifact worth mentioning regarding optics on the T3W, which is the “tunnel effect”. The lenses are encapsulated within a black plastic short of ring-case (my english is not good enough so I don’t know the word for that). These are needed to allow you to slide the lenses to match your IPD. The problem with them is that they can cause some reflections and a minor tunnel effect depending on the light of the scene, the change in colors frame to frame, etc. This is something I can clearly notice but it does not bother me. Worth mentioning though!

7) Audio: Audio is SPECTACULAR on this device. I use high-end Sennheiser HD 598 and you really enjoy activating the ProLogic or the DTS effects for both gaming and movies. The ones that Sony provides doesn’t sound bad at all, but they cannot compete with a professional set of course.

8) Wireless: Wireless works great but in my case I must say is very sensitive. Whenever my partner walks in between the signal gets artifacts (in audio and/or image). For those of you concerned about latency, don’t worry guys, it performs ****ing quick. Perhaps if we compare it empirically against a PC monitor meant for gaming (>=120hz), the T3W might lack a frame or two of difference. Anyways, I don’t think the difference would be noticeable to most human eyes. When I connect the headset through HDMI cable I feel the same latency, which is virtually zero.

9) Price: After spending tons of money in high-end TVs and monitors, just another ~1000€ aren’t critical to me. Do not misunderstand me, I’m not millionaire, I’m just saying that when you invest 1000€ in a 30” PC monitor, spending 950€ for a virtual screen that looks even greater, isn’t that much. We all know that the manufacturing process does not cause Sony to sell this for $1000 (although I’m sure making those tiny OLED screens might not be cheap either), but if you take into consideration that you’re purchasing a giant screen that you can carry anywhere, which provides an image quality hardly seen in any FullHD TV out there… then let’s be honest, the price isn’t that high. At the end we’re all purchasing cell phones at $600 that not even cost $150 in manufacturing…

SO BUY IT OR NOT? My sincere answer is YES. If you really like gaming and 3D movies, and like to watch them in a big screen with real black levels and vivid colors (and obviously you got the cash), this toy is for you!

And this is my review. If anyone has doubts uncovered here, just post a reply and I’ll keep on track!

Best Regards

connector likes this.
post #370 of 638 Old 01-14-2014, 11:22 AM

Hi mate! Welcome to our thread. Nobody in this thread is trying to compare Oculus with Sony. Just does not make any sense. However playing PS3 and PC games with head tracker (I use Cinemizer OLED tracker) is a very nice bonus but it's not of course full VR experience. If you are in HMD since Virtual Boy you should remember Sony Glasstron - excellent light piece of engineering from Sony with no comfort issue at all. I still own Glasstron! So it's feasible to come with a comfy design. Even Cinemizer OLED is miles ahead in terms of comfort but losing hands down in image quality and resolution. It does have even diopter adjustment missing even on the 3-d iteration of HMZ! Why Sony you forget about poor glasses wearers?
Nobody is saying that HMZ is crap. We just hate Sony for their pricing policy for different markets plus no 1080p even on HMZ-T3.
Optics. In reality the only problem with optics is that it's very expensive for the high end lenses plus ideally you need twin pack on each eye. But it's feasible. For example for my eyeglasses if I go for cheap lenses with no coating I only pay £25 for lenses. If I want high index fully coated lenses I pay £180 only for the lenses without the frame. So clearly it's the price issue. However HMZ-T3 is not bad. it's a keeper for me. What we would like to see is new players on the HMD market which will create competition for Sony and will come up with the new design and decent price. Oculus is a different stuff and besides - they miserably fail to deliver even 1st consumer unit despite raisin huge bucks for development and production. They let people down and what we see is only a talking shop with a lot of broken promises. But this is not for this thread.
post #371 of 638 Old 01-14-2014, 12:35 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvillar83 View Post

Hi guys,

Here’s my review of the Sony’s HMZ-T3W. . . The first thing I have to say to make honor to Sony and to its HMZ-T3W is that I’M NOT RETURNING the product. I’m not saying it’s the perfect product I’ve been dreaming for years, but oh god, it’s ****ing good enough :-) . . . so let’s go by parts. I’ll try to answer most people doubts . . . 1) Screen size . . . 2) Resolution . . . 3) Color & Contrast . . . 4) 3D effect . . . 5) Refresh rate . . . 6) Optics . . . 7) Audio . . . 8) Wireless . . . 9) Price . . . SO BUY IT OR NOT? My sincere answer is YES. If you really like gaming and 3D movies, and like to watch them in a big screen with real black levels and vivid colors (and obviously you got the cash), this toy is for you!

And this is my review. If anyone has doubts uncovered here, just post a reply and I’ll keep on track!

Best Regards

WOW. Great review from someone with high expectations, but who is willing to not let the perfect be the enemy of the good!

Rick
post #372 of 638 Old 01-14-2014, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Hey guys, some of you may doubt what I posted about the Japanese T3 model and that is fine. I posted what I have learned from being here in Japan and all I been told by talking with Sony staff.

I saw a post asking why Sony would use different optics on non Japanese models, perhaps to save money? Or they have future plans for the Japanese version. I really do not know.

At my local electronic store the Japanese version is being advertised with the Triluminos and the international one isn't. They only tell you about the international version if you ask for English menus.

3D items I own:

Sony 46" LX900 active 3D set

Sony HMZ-T3 (Cushion pads and light blocker mod)

LG LW6500 passive 3D set

PS3 & PS4

Sony BDP-S570 BD3D player

JVC-GS-TD1 (with Cyclopital base extender)

Fujifilm W3

Sony Alpha 55 (for 3D panoramic photos)

Quadcopter + Zenmuse and GoPro Hero 3 (Filming...

post #373 of 638 Old 01-14-2014, 01:57 PM

The Sony UK site does indeed state the specs may change per country. I get my T3 tomorrow and will report back how it compares to the T1. I must say the comfort straps I got from Blazin3D are first class and I just LOVE my T1 thanks to those. Hope the T3 is miles better.

Blazin3D. Ask your Sony guys what is the difference between old and new. We need specs. Cheers smile.gif
post #374 of 638 Old 01-14-2014, 03:47 PM

@PapaPro, you we'll see the difference for sure :-P If we compare it to the T2 I don't know 'cause I never had the privilege of trying this one.

@Bravia3D, I have no doubts about the marketing stuff, for sure in Japan it is advertised along with the new Triluminos technology, even though it doesn't mean anything to us. That fact does not tell us if they really use different OLED panels than in the American/European version. What I can really tell from my user experience (and believe me that I'm really demanding regarding picture quality), is that I find difficult to choose one huge TV (whether it is LCD or Plasma) that looks as good as my T3W. For me, the only technology that looks better at the moment is whatever 2K-digital-cinema-projector in dark-room conditions, but even though, comparing quality/price the T3W is the real winner (I repeat, only considering PQ, not getting into consideration comfort issues or other things).

@Borland: Sony's pricing policies sucks but they don't differ that much compared to other big manufacturers nowadays. I remember back in the day, there was this concept of actual GLOBAL VALUE, where a product cost i.e $100, which in Europe translated to ~€80 (virtually the same "value"). But as the time goes, looks like this concept is disappearing, and if the product costs $100 un USA it costs €100 in Europe. It even doesn't make sense for us here in Spain, 'cause for a german guy is much easier to spend €100 than for a spanish one (the average salary in Spain is half the german).

And regarding the Oculus Rift, I've been pretty much involved since the beginning of the journey back in 2012. I understand your concerns and others like you 'cause it seems as the technology isn't coming... Actually is coming, but later than expected :-( The last prototype shown a few days ago at CES looks promising (head-tracking almost 100% solved, almost free-ghosting screen, OLED panel showing much better color and contrast, etc). I wasn't at CES to test it but I've been told by someone who tried. The "stopper" of the Oculus still is RESOLUTION. Even quadrupling the pixels of the current Dev Kit (I mean using a 2560x1600 panel which is 1280x1600 per eye) would not be enough. Such a panel would finally produce clear imagines but you could still see the pixel matrix. This is very easy to measure. Taking as a base the T3W, where you can almost see the pixel matrix, imagine the same horizontal lines per eye (1280) but in a much wider FOV (at least twice the FOV). The resulting effect would be like horizontal expanding T3W's pixels by >=2x, which will clearly allow you to see the individual pixels. So this leaves us with the following fact: 4K is the minimum resolution for a real sharp-pixel-less image, and although Samsung, LG and other companies have already announced 4K OLED displays for >=5" smartphones in 2015, they will be very expensive panels and difficult to retrieve by a "small" company such as the Oculus Team. For you to have an idea, Samsung pays around $60 for every Galaxy Note 2 panel, and they "only pay that" because they sell millions of devices per year. When you're only going to sell hundred of thousands of devices (I don't expect the Oculus Rift to sell more than a million in its first commercial year) that price goes much higher, and if you want to price the HMD to ~$250 then you got a BIG problem... I don't work for the Oculus Team so I'm not defending them in anyway, I'm just saying they will struggle to get 4K OLED panels in a short period of time and cheap. My concern is that they'll probably ship the HMD this year (probably by Q4 prior to holiday season) but with a 2K display instead of 4K due to what I'm just saying... :_(

post #375 of 638 Old 01-15-2014, 02:46 AM

Got my T3W today (YAAAAY) but do you have to have both small and large charger connected? I can't seem to get a picture on my PC. The manual said charge before use with the small charger?

I hope I don't need to keep both chargers connected to use on my simulator rig. Anyone know?
post #376 of 638 Old 01-15-2014, 03:06 AM

First of all I agree that T3 is nice piece of technology and my prefered option for private watching plus superb sound with the right headphones. I agree that the Sony's pricing policy is in line with other companies However with T3 Sony pushed it too far. $1000 is not translated into £1000 but into £1300!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is beyond any common sense and makes everybody sick on this side of the pond! So we need competition and I will be in the first row to jump of the Sony boat...... Of course people buy off e-bay and from Japan and US but you have shipment payment, import tax, warranty issues.....

this thread is not Oculus but.... Good luck with Oculus. I know some people still believe in Oculus and trust their excurses with not coming up with the consumer unit. Their excurses only mean that their marketing, technology and procurement policy is crap and for people who know how this system works kills all confidence that this bunch of amateurs will ever come up with something tangible....
SMD made a good effort but unfortunately they had died before they managed to bring enhanced SMD with a better optics. Still they deserve some credits for bringing the first and the only consumer affordable full HD HMD into the market.
post #377 of 638 Old 01-15-2014, 03:14 AM

You have several options to connect T3.
You can connect your source to the base unit and not to connect the battery unit to the base with HDMI and not to connect small charger (if it's charged of course). Gives you 3.5 hours of wireless play. You have full super sound which is decoded by the base unit in this case. You can connect good headphones to the base unit or battery unit. The first option is prefered.
You can connect battery unit to the base with HDMI and this gives you 7 hours of play
You can connect your source DIRECTLY to the battery unit WITHOUT base unit. Sound less good but less wires.
post #378 of 638 Old 01-15-2014, 03:15 AM

Yes the pricing in the UK is a joke! I got mine on ebay (US Model) for £650 and paid £123 import tax and duty so I saved nearly £500. I would reccomend others to do the same.
post #379 of 638 Old 01-15-2014, 03:24 AM

Thanks Borland,

I don't need the battery I just want to have a cable connection. I doubt I will every use wireless. I have a ferrari in my front room in the form of a sim racing rig. I just want my HMD for 3D iRacing smile.gif

So how should I connect this up? Is it because of the flat battery I can't get a picture? And does anyone know the best settings for iRacing?

Cheers
post #380 of 638 Old 01-15-2014, 04:14 AM

My understanding on how to connect the T3W isn't good either... When I connect it wired or wireless to my PC throughout the BASE UNIT everything is okay, but if I try to connect it directly to the BATTERY UNIT against my MacBook Pro or my iPad through HDMI it doesn't show anything.... What I'm doing wrong? O_o

post #381 of 638 Old 01-15-2014, 04:14 AM

Ok people I have a problem.

I am trying to connect to my PC but its only detected my old T1 and not the new T3. I looked in the display tab on my PC and it says Sony HMZ but that is my old one. Anyone know how to make my PC detect the new T3? I do have a screen connected too.

Cheers!
post #382 of 638 Old 01-15-2014, 04:17 AM

again, you have several option for your setup to avoid flat battery on the battery unit. You can connect your PC to the base unit and still use wireless option. To avoid flat battery - connect battery unit to the small charger and it will never go flat. This is the prefered option
connect your battery unit directly to your PC and small charger to the battery unit - it never goes flat then. However the first option is better I think. Don't worry about wireless - I get 5m range without any drops if both the base and battery units are in a direct sight. If you have obstacles - you may need to move to the second option.
post #383 of 638 Old 01-15-2014, 04:17 AM

Quote:
I am trying to connect to my PC but its only detected my old T1 and not the new T3. I looked in the display tab on my PC and it says Sony HMZ but that is my old one. Anyone know how to make my PC detect the new T3? I do have a screen connected too. 

It doesn't make sense... Windows should detect it as a different display... Have you checked your NVIDIA or AMD control panel?

post #384 of 638 Old 01-15-2014, 04:49 AM

Fixed it! Thank you soooo much all smile.gif

I had to duplicate screens and now all is fine. Has anyone any idea of the best setting for racing? game mode? I will play around soon.

First impressions are, this thing is so light compared to the T1 and it fits my head like a glove. I already loved my T1 with the comfort strap and this feels like a more finished product. I know, nearly.

Thanks for your help everyone
post #385 of 638 Old 01-15-2014, 06:17 AM

OK - I connected T3 to different set ups without any issues. But not an IPAD as I have gen 1 IPAD and no HDMI adapter. Plus I hate Apple:)
Base unit to Toshiba Ultrabook Z830 Win 7 with Intel HD300 plus wireless to the battery unit - no probs
Base unit to Toshiba Win7 Qosmio with GTX 560M with NVIDIA driver plus wireless - no probs
Battery unit directly to Toshiba WIN8 Tablet plus wireless- nor probs
Samsung Galaxy Note to base via MHL adapter - no probs
All the above but directly to the battery unit - no probs
post #386 of 638 Old 01-15-2014, 07:03 AM

Yes indeed good stuff Borland. Well, I just did some iRacing in 3D and all I can say is "WOW". It feels like 120hz. No idea what they have done but it is so much more clear and seems smooth. The proof is half a second per lap compared to yesterday so there is really something going on as far as I am concerned. I practice every day.

Can't wait for someone who knows to confirm what the change is. Maybe I just have a T2 with a new shell? I never tried that model. But the screen as far as iRacing and PC Screen is the same size as the T1. I read it was bigger now but that is not the case. Very pleased so far.

Cheers all
post #387 of 638 Old 01-15-2014, 08:07 AM

the OLED may stayed the same but optics is better on T3 for sure compare to T1. I never had T2 so can't compare with T2. For me the screen looks a little bit bigger and I now understand why. As I've said here before I have proper XXL army size head with very big IPD (inter pupil distance) - 72mm which is much bigger than average. It gives me some advantage in getting better 3d effects compare to normal head size folks but at the same I was suffering from not being able to adjust lens span on T1 to 72 mm as it had a limit of 70mm. With T3 Sony did a magic trick for me by increasing IPD to 72 mm - exactly what I needed! Immediately the image became much clearer and was looking slightly bigger!
post #388 of 638 Old 01-15-2014, 09:40 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I need help with only one question to buy or not to buy wink.gif

Sony Have solved the problem of pain in the forehead?, in T1 It was unbearable

Thank you very much.

@Europe, you can contact me in www.diariosdelanube.com
post #389 of 638 Old 01-15-2014, 09:44 AM

in general - yes but I don't know your head shape etc. It's better straight out of the box but I did very simple $2 mod and this weekend I had watched movies non stop until I got notification that I was watching over 3 hours!
post #390 of 638 Old 01-15-2014, 09:46 AM

Thanks Borland, that explains why it seems bigger. I have not tried watching a movie but on PC screen and in the game iRacing its about the same size. I would say maybe 100 inch screen.

Connector. Yes it is miles better. I just did around 30 mins racing and I need to ajust it slightly but it really is so much better than the T1. It does not even touch my nose now smile.gif Best to try one at your local Sony store to be safe
Reply 3D Displays

Tags
Oculus Rift Developers Kit

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page