Sony HMZ-T3 Personal 3D Viewer HMD Rumors, Information and Speculation thread - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 619 Old 02-26-2014, 02:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by andersos View Post

Yes the title has "speculation" in it but also HMZ-T3, so maybe there should be a new thread.

But I read the rumor about Sony VR hmd reveal couple of days ago and didn't notice a mention about LCD http://www.roadtovr.com/sony-ps4-virtual-reality-headset-launch-oculus-rift-debut-gdc-2014-report
And of course price is still unconfirmed. It could be lower than HMZ-T3 if it's like the Avegant Glyph - a display unit without processing box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andersos View Post

That's an interesting theory, but I don't think they can just say "Ok this is a PS4 accessory we must set a lower price than it actually costs to make it." They won't sell such a thing with a loss.

Yes, both are right. I mean, they lower the cost selling the HMD without "unit processor", "LCD and not OLED", "heavy plastic" but with gyroscopes... i don't know, but they can't sell it for more than 450$ because the target are ps owners.

@Europe, you can contact me in www.diariosdelanube.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 619 Old 02-26-2014, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
I took my HMZ-T3W on a plane with me to Tokyo last week and watched Metallica's concert in 3D and Gravity. I converted the movies into SBS mode to my iPhone and connected it with the HDMI adapter. Worked great and I enjoyed the whole flight! It's really nice to take on trips and use.

As for the PS4 VR, I am hoping it uses OLED and is 1080p.. But I am sure I am dreaming!

3D items I own:

Sony 46" LX900 active 3D set

Sony HMZ-T3 (Cushion pads and light blocker mod)

LG LW6500 passive 3D set

PS3 & PS4

Sony BDP-S570 BD3D player

JVC-GS-TD1 (with Cyclopital base extender)

Fujifilm W3

Sony Alpha 55 (for 3D panoramic photos)

Quadcopter + Zenmuse and GoPro Hero 3 (Filming...

post #543 of 619 Old 02-26-2014, 02:49 PM

Liked: 13
We can dream smile.gif

But the source of the rumor said we won't be disappointed by the quality of this Sony VR HMD biggrin.gif
post #544 of 619 Old 02-28-2014, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by bravia3D View Post

I took my HMZ-T3W on a plane with me to Tokyo last week and watched Metallica's concert in 3D and Gravity. I converted the movies into SBS mode to my iPhone and connected it with the HDMI adapter. Worked great and I enjoyed the whole flight! It's really nice to take on trips and use.

As for the PS4 VR, I am hoping it uses OLED and is 1080p.. But I am sure I am dreaming!

And you didn't feel like a muppet wearing it in public? smile.gif You have more confidence than me!
post #545 of 619 Old 03-02-2014, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonStatt View Post

And you didn't feel like a muppet wearing it in public? smile.gif You have more confidence than me!

Not at all, I was enjoying my movies and didn't care what others think:cool:

3D items I own:

LG LW6500 passive 3D set

PS3 & PS4

Fujifilm W3

post #546 of 619 Old 03-03-2014, 04:44 AM

Liked: 10

Heya! I just picked up the HMZ-T3 yesterday after being very impressed when demo'ing it in the store. When I came home I couldn't figure out how to put it on comfortably. At the sony building in Tokyo they put it on for you and I didn't think anything of it. It seems so simple but for some reason no matter what I try it's extremely uncomfortable and even painful. I've tried adjusting the straps and changing their position as well as the forehead rest thing but no matter what I get big red marks on my face from using it even for 15 minutes. It pushes so hard and if I make it more loose it won't sit right and the screen gets blurry. When it's really tight on it does look amazing and really crisp but I wouldn't be able to sit through a 2 hour movie or play a game for any lengthy time.

Anyone else experienced this or can give any tips on how to make it sit right? I have a pretty big head but that shouldn't be an issue since the straps fits for everyone. 

Here's a picture taken with my phone of how my forehead looks after using it. This is not right :/ 

post #547 of 619 Old 03-03-2014, 05:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zabala View Post

Heya! I just picked up the HMZ-T3 yesterday after being very impressed when demo'ing it in the store. When I came home I couldn't figure out how to put it on comfortably. At the sony building in Tokyo they put it on for you and I didn't think anything of it. It seems so simple but for some reason no matter what I try it's extremely uncomfortable and even painful. I've tried adjusting the straps and changing their position as well as the forehead rest thing but no matter what I get big red marks on my face from using it even for 15 minutes. It pushes so hard and if I make it more loose it won't sit right and the screen gets blurry. When it's really tight on it does look amazing and really crisp but I wouldn't be able to sit through a 2 hour movie or play a game for any lengthy time.

Anyone else experienced this or can give any tips on how to make it sit right? I have a pretty big head but that shouldn't be an issue since the straps fits for everyone. 

Here's a picture taken with my phone of how my forehead looks after using it. This is not right :/ 

Just to double check, on the forehead rest, you do know that as well as moving up and down, it moves in and out by sliding the lever below it? Forget the upper strap to start with and just focus on the forehead rest and the lower rear strap. Start by loosening the straps completely. Get a friend or partner to help with this. Hold the HMZ up infront of your eyes and find the position when it is in focus. Now move the forehead rest up and down, or in and out until you find a position where it is comfortably pressing against the forehead and still allowing you to focus. Then tighten up the lower strap (this is where a friend might help) which should be right near your neck below the bump at the back of your head. It should now balance on its own between the forehead rest and the strap at the back. Do NOT use the lower light protector if you already fitted it as it has issues and squashes the nose.
post #548 of 619 Old 03-03-2014, 10:08 AM

hey guys,
I bought my hmz t3w from the NewYork Sony store Last week and I gotta say This HMD Is Impressive.Its too bad sony is not prosperous right now because they make great quality products. The First Movie I viewed on my HMD was Gravity 3d. The OLED display BLEW me away! the Blacks were deep and colors so vibrant! The HMD handled the 3d so well that i didnt want the movie to end. This Unit really makes me feel like im viewing content in a big screen Movie theater. When I play my ps3/ps4 games with it I feel much more immersed in the game than when i play on my 40" Bravia xbr7. As for the Comfort, it needs an improvement for long sessions so i went ahead and ordered the cushion straps and light blocker from BLAZIN3D ,hopefully i dont have to wait too long for those.

This Is a Great Product and im happy i bought it, yea it is anti social but the experience is worth it. I am looking forward to seeing Sonys PS4 HMD.
Hopefully its simular to the Oculas Rift with 1080p OLED. (oNE COULD DREAm smile.gif
post #549 of 619 Old 03-03-2014, 10:15 AM

Depending on the head and the time that you are using the T3, these markings could be normal. Try to adjust the device like JonStatt said. Best regards.

post #550 of 619 Old 03-04-2014, 05:55 AM

Thanks guys, i've been trying and while I can bear it for about 30m to an hour at most but it's still quite painful and gives me a huge mark on the forehead. Anyways, while I was demo'ing this product at the Sony Building in Tokyo it was possible for others to see what you saw on a TV. 

I only have one HMZ-T3 but I'd like to be able to make the ps4 (or other hdmi connected device) show up on the TV and in the HMZ-T3. How do I do this?

post #551 of 619 Old 03-04-2014, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zabala View Post

Thanks guys, i've been trying and while I can bear it for about 30m to an hour at most but it's still quite painful and gives me a huge mark on the forehead. Anyways, while I was demo'ing this product at the Sony Building in Tokyo it was possible for others to see what you saw on a TV. 

I only have one HMZ-T3 but I'd like to be able to make the ps4 (or other hdmi connected device) show up on the TV and in the HMZ-T3. How do I do this?

You can use your tv remote control to change the channel at any time. Also, in the main processor, you can change from hdmi1 to 3 at any time. But you can't see the same thing at the same time in the HMZ and in the tv... i don't know how to do it...

post #552 of 619 Old 03-04-2014, 06:14 AM

Quote:

Just to double check, on the forehead rest, you do know that as well as moving up and down, it moves in and out by sliding the lever below it? Forget the upper strap to start with and just focus on the forehead rest and the lower rear strap. Start by loosening the straps completely. Get a friend or partner to help with this. Hold the HMZ up infront of your eyes and find the position when it is in focus. Now move the forehead rest up and down, or in and out until you find a position where it is comfortably pressing against the forehead and still allowing you to focus. Then tighten up the lower strap (this is where a friend might help) which should be right near your neck below the bump at the back of your head. It should now balance on its own between the forehead rest and the strap at the back. Do NOT use the lower light protector if you already fitted it as it has issues and squashes the nose.

Depending on the head and the time that you are using the T3, these markings could be normal. That device it's "as is", it's not comfortable and after a while of use, you'll get those markings for sure. A LOT more comfortable than T1 but the problem with the marks and pain continues after an hour of use. That is the reality...

post #553 of 619 Old 03-04-2014, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by connector View Post

Depending on the head and the time that you are using the T3, these markings could be normal. That device it's "as is", it's not comfortable and after a while of use, you'll get those markings for sure. A LOT more comfortable than T1 but the problem with the marks and pain continues after an hour of use. That is the reality...

You certainly do get a red mark on your forehead after use where the pad touches the head...that is normal and you are absolutely right. But it looked like he had a lower mark as well which I was wondering if it was because the headset needed to be further away from the face. I should have pointed this out in my original reply. But pain?! Discomfort yes, but pain I have never had! The biggest issue I have is my nose! I certainly do not have a huge nose, but even with the forehead piece moved towards me as far as it will go, the main unit still touches my nose. It is not resting on my nose, just compressing it a bit. This is something I just have to live with...and I usually forget about it when watching something good! Watching 1 movie is just okay...longer than that would be a struggle.
connector likes this.
post #554 of 619 Old 03-04-2014, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by connector View Post

You can use your tv remote control to change the channel at any time. Also, in the main processor, you can change from hdmi1 to 3 at any time. But you can't see the same thing at the same time in the HMZ and in the tv... i don't know how to do it...

You need an HDMI splitter for this. They are very cheap these days (about 20-25 USD). You would connect the PS4 to the HDMI splitter, and then one cable to the HMZ control box, and one cable directly to the TV HDMI input.

This is UK Amazon, but there is an example. As you can see, it has one input and two outputs. Please do not confuse this with an HDMI switch which has several inputs, but only one output.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Audio-Video-v1-3b-Splitter-Blu-ray/dp/B00C23X7Z8/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1393944782&sr=8-10&keywords=hdmi+splitter
post #555 of 619 Old 03-04-2014, 07:09 AM

Quote:

You certainly do get a red mark on your forehead after use where the pad touches the head...that is normal and you are absolutely right. But it looked like he had a lower mark as well which I was wondering if it was because the headset needed to be further away from the face. I should have pointed this out in my original reply. But pain?! Discomfort yes, but pain I have never had! The biggest issue I have is my nose! I certainly do not have a huge nose, but even with the forehead piece moved towards me as far as it will go, the main unit still touches my nose. It is not resting on my nose, just compressing it a bit. This is something I just have to live with...and I usually forget about it when watching something good! Watching 1 movie is just okay...longer than that would be a struggle.

Yes, you are right, the lower mark it's not ok. Pain it's when you adjust incorrectly the device. I have used it 3'5 hh without "problems" but red mark in the top forehead.

post #556 of 619 Old 03-05-2014, 06:05 PM

Liked: 13
That's what Sony's HMD's do after a while. They are just too heavy and uncomfortable to be useful and it's why I sold my T2. Unless they get that weight down I won't be getting one again.
vaktmestern likes this.
post #557 of 619 Old 03-06-2014, 08:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Agree its 2 heavy. Sony should look at sunglass designs like the cinemeizer. and get atleast 1080p ... 4k knocks at the door with 4kBD out in 2015. cool.gif

720p is acient now..
post #558 of 619 Old 03-08-2014, 11:14 PM

Hi guys,

A question to all owners of a japanese T3(w)..

I dont suppose its possible to change/update the firmware to get english as language... Else somebody would have reported that somewhere....

However the menu/settings dont seem to be that extensive. Would you say that somebody who barely reads any japanese can cope?

Am in japan atm, and while to be honest i wouldnt buy the hmz for the 1300 euro it costs back home i am kinda tempted here.
Even the T3w only costs about half, and the T3 is only about 500 euro (70k yen). I cant really think of mobile use, so i guess the t3 is fine. And some cables you have with the t3w always too... So t3 seems fine.

Thanks for any replies!
post #559 of 619 Old 03-11-2014, 05:36 PM

I see that many users hmzt3w and previous versions have problems with headache and traces of a sufficient peel off the panel on the upper bracket and stick another material, for example, insert pilow bra pad (soft material)
I used this treatment two years on hmzt1 and from two months to hmzt3w
and here's my review and the other problems with the use of hmzt3w
http://obywatelhd.pl/index.php/2014/02/28/sony-hmz-t3w-jak-sprawdza-sie-w-praktyce-wywiad-i-test-w-jednym/

translated in google translator

greetings
łukasz "llukk"frątczak
post #560 of 619 Old 03-12-2014, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

It's uncomfortable which is why we sell cushion pads at www.blazin3D.com which help much! However, we are so backed up on numerous orders it is taking about a month to complete each customers order.

There is no way to update the Japanese model with a new firmware using English, however the menu is easy to navigate and figure out so shouldn't be a big problem for you.

3D items I own:

LG LW6500 passive 3D set

PS3 & PS4

Fujifilm W3

post #561 of 619 Old 03-19-2014, 07:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Sonys ps4 vr headset has 90degrees fow and finally 1080p this i want cool.gif
post #562 of 619 Old 03-21-2014, 01:45 PM

Liked: 12

Just as I predicted a couple of months ago, more than 1080p on ~5inch screens is not yet possible for mass production. I'm almost sure Sony and Oculus will launch the first iteration (to the market) at 1440p as the very best. 4K 5-inch displays won't be ready until late 2015 or even later. Also, current GPUs aren't ready to move 4K fluently (at 60hz or more). Maybe next generation of nVidia/Amd/Intel GPUs with stacked VRAM might have enough bandwidth to handle those frame buffers appropriately at low power consumptions (I mean without the need for a triple SLI gaming rig). Of course, ARM mobile GPUs are out of the question as well.

As for the new Oculus DK2, I truly think they make a big effort in bringing that fantastic 75hz OLED screen with very low persistence. It still lacks resolution (1080p is definitively not enough for both eyes at ~100º FOV) but the basics behind PQ is there once and for all :-)

Let's see what happens in the coming months. I hope Microsoft joins the trend, as more VR devices will bring stronger competence to the table, so better prices and better quality for all consumers after all. I guess Sony will keep manufacturing several iterations of its HMZ in parallel with its new VR device (after all, they're very different devices). Luckily HMZ-T4W will feature dual 1080p screens and maybe a slightly bigger FOV (~70º like in IMAX would be just fine!).

Avengant's Glyph will be there too on its fight against Sony's HMZ. At least it will help to provoke a price down on the Sony device...

Finally, a good time for head mounted displays!

post #563 of 619 Old 04-06-2014, 02:50 PM

Hi, i want to ask, i hace a ps4 connected to The hmzt3. If a ser all The HDMI RANGES un auto, The screen seems toó dark. If i chante to limited (in ps4 and in hmzt3) all performs great. Bit if i use full RGB un ps4 and in hmzt3 The screen shows washed out... Anyone had tested this?

post #564 of 619 Old 04-07-2014, 04:52 PM

@mvillar83

Hey - just a few questions for your review. ;)

I'm really considering buying the HMZ-T3 from Japan (not the wireless one).

What exactly does the curved screen function accomplish/ what does it look like?

Also, when inputting 1920x1080p, does the HMZ-T3 show the picture at 1920x720p divided over two screens, or does it simply downscale to 2x1280x720p?

/Morten

post #565 of 619 Old 04-08-2014, 01:53 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 48
the curved screen is a nice feature but only works in 2d. it gives you nice feeling close to cinema screen but that's basically it. you are confused with the format and resolution handling. 2d 1080p signal is downscaled to 720p. frame packed 3d signal is automatically downscaled to 720p. SBS and TB 3d formats give you 2 screens (side by side or top bottom) and you need to switch the appropriate mode manually from the menu. Bear in mind that the jap model has only Japanese menu with no option to change the language.
post #566 of 619 Old 04-08-2014, 02:13 AM

Thanks. I knew about the menus - but just in case the Europe models don't have the Triluminos and because of the HUGE price difference, I've had to go with the Japanese version.

Btw, it's funny. On the Sony Jp site everyone is referring to, it explains Triluminos as being standard on both the T3W and T3 standard, but on their product page (where you can select them individually, only the wireless is listed with the Triluminos technology. I hope that's just a marketing thing, and not actually because it's so (nowhere on the other side, does it state that the standard version is WITHOUT Triluminos).

post #567 of 619 Old 04-08-2014, 02:28 AM

if you read this thread you will see that I've tested both the jap and the EU versions of the T3 and could not spot any difference at all. I think this is pure sony bad and confusing regional marketing policy but this is IMHO. The T3 is a great product anyway with nothing close on the horizon soon. However I would have forked out for the W option if I were you as it gives you a truly portable solution for taking it with you anywhere plus you are not chained to the receiver box in your room.
post #568 of 619 Old 04-08-2014, 02:32 AM

I did see your post. As I said, in the end it came down to the CERTAINTY of Triluminos and price. As such, I did consider the T3W, but decided it wasn't worth £100 extra for this student's budget.

post #569 of 619 Old 04-08-2014, 03:50 AM

Another question. Is it possible to non-destructively remove/replace the pad of the forehead rest?

Because maybe i put it up wrong when i tried it, or the demo unit simply was worn down or such. However for me the forehead rest kinda moved the glasses too far away. As in, i would have liked to angle it slightly steeper, or have a thinner pad. But there was only one position it rested into(?), and in that also the blinds werent close enough to really shade all light.

Other than that i liked the viewing experience... The only real caveat is if i buy them here in japan i ll essentially have only one year warranty, and that only in japan, contrary to the 2years in europe. Then again its only roughly 66k yen without tax. Decisions, decisions, ...
post #570 of 619 Old 04-08-2014, 04:30 AM

may be you better play with the existing pad? i placed horizontal elastic band which gives me a perfect fit when T3 only touches my nose. with the light blockers - I can co-exist with the upper light blockers but with the low blocker I just can't use it - it's horribly uncomfy especially for the eyeglasses wearers like me... Look at the Bravia's solution - it looks scary but works much better. I have similar. For home it's OK but my wife was scared to death when she had seen me in the dark room the first time!smile.gif
Reply 3D Displays

Tags
Oculus Rift Developers Kit

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page