Sony HMZ-T3 Personal 3D Viewer HMD Rumors, Information and Speculation thread - Page 26 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 10Likes
post #751 of 764 Old 05-28-2015, 06:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Just got my Japanese version. Haven't had much of a chance to play with it yet, but so far very impressed with the colours and black levels. Need to spend a bit of time getting the positioning right, but all good. Hooked up to my PS4 for a combination of gaming and movies. HDMI handshake is a little slow, but nothing too bad. SDE is present, but again, I'll get used to it.

It'll be interesting to see what Morpheus is like. If it integrates well with gaming I'll probably swap over to it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #752 of 764 Old 05-28-2015, 09:44 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Banshee View Post
My wired version's battery pack lasts for 3 hours without being connected to a power source ha ha!

I take the HMZ T3 downstairs and connect it to my Samsung BD sometimes via a HDMI cable only.

I WOULD LIKE TO THANK YOU VERY MUCH because you have mentioned something very important to me that I had/have no clue about. I always wondered whether it is possible to calibrate the HMZ T3. I have never calibrated anything ever in my life using a disc because I am scared of the results. Would be happy to try but want to know if it can be undone?

So let me know how that goes for you. And thereafter I will decide to or not to proceed. If it does wonders for the HMZ then I'm right behind you and will buy one of these discs ASAP.
Calibration discs are just blu ray/DVD discs with a bunch of patterns, video clips, and instructions. A good calibration disc will assist you with adjusting basic picture and sound settings of your display and media player such as contrast, brightness, sharpness, color, color hue or color saturation, greyscale temperature (cool, normal, warm), and audio and video sync. It will also enable you to check and/or set scaling, overscan, color space, and surround speakers. To calibrate color and color saturation/hue, you will need a color filter, which is included with these discs. Granted, it is likely not possible to use the color filter with HMZ-T3/T3W due to the HMZ-T3/T3W design (I have not tested this yet), so color and color hue/saturation calibration is unlikely. These tools are for basic tune up and evaluation and are aimed at an average consumer. There is no risk damaging your equipment, and you can always change the settings back if you do not like the result. The goal of these discs is to get your equipment as close as possible to the industry established standard for audio and video, so you see and hear your movies, TV shows, and games as their creators intended.

The discs also have advanced pattern sections for professional calibrators, professional reviewers, and advanced audio and video enthusiasts. Many of these advanced patterns require going to advanced menu settings (HMZ-T3/T3W does not have these settings), accessing service menu (could seriously mess up your TV), acquiring professional measuring equipment (expensive and can not be used with HMZ-T3/T3W anyway), and having good knowledge of audio and video concepts. Most people will not need or use these patterns.

There are three blue ray calibration discs on the market currently. These are "Spears and Munsil HD Benchmark and Calibration Disc 2nd Edition", "Disney WOW: World of Wonder", and "Digital Video Essentials HD Basics". I own and used all three discs to calibrate my Panasonic ZT60 plasma.

"Disney WOW" is the most beginner friendly and slickest of the three. It has all of necessary tools for basic 2D video calibration, and it has the best set of tools to calibrate surround sound in my opinion. There are no tools to calibrate and test 3D though.

"Spears and Munsil" is not as beginner friendly and slickly produced as "Disney WOW", but it has by far the most comprehensive set of calibration and test tools. It is the only of the three discs that also has tools to calibrate and test 3D.

"Digital Video Essentials" was one of the first calibration discs on the market. It falls somewhere between "Disney WOW" and "Spears and Munsil" in terms of content and ease of use.

Most people will be satisfied with "Disney WOW". If 3D is important, than, "Spears and Munsil" is the one to get. Honestly, "Disney WOW" and "Spears and Munsil" are both worth owning. I would not recommend "Digital Video Essentials".
The Banshee likes this.
post #753 of 764 Old 05-28-2015, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARTmen View Post
To all of you that can wait a few months, the Avegant Glyph headset seems a better choice than the hmz. Even though they have the same resolution, the technology in the Glyph simulates a much better image. I haven't tried it, but all the people who did are very happy with it. And it costs 600$ which is less than the hmz.
From my experience, many Kickstarter projects that I followed were delayed to point of irrelevancy (a better product came to the market before their release), did not deliver on their initial promise, or straight up never came to fruition.

Was not Glyph delayed twice already? I also remember reading that it is not comfortable to wear.

I would love to be wrong about Glyph though.
post #754 of 764 Old 05-28-2015, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Banshee View Post
In my opinion the flaw of the HMZ lies in the panels being too close to the eyes, that's all. I think the magnifier lens and the panel are too close together which gives the appearance of being very close to a large screen. And I'm the type of person who loves the biggest screens in the cinema/or home but from a afar back distance.

That's why I watch the HMZ in 'cinema curve 2' mode setting. As it also makes the screen a lot massive but also more importantly pushes the virtual screen further away from my eyes. This only applies to 2D as it is automatically disabled in 3D.

The cinema curve 2 mode encompasses your vision so this helps. And if someone's got a problem with that, well then they'll have problems with IMAX!
At least the HMZ cinema curve modes are very subtle with a gentle curve, sometimes you won't even know it.
If something is very far from your eyeballs ie. a TV or projector then you should watch it flat. But if something's way too close to your eyeballs then you'll have to watch it curved. Makes sense, right. Good.

I also wear the HMZ further away from my face (over my glasses) as this helps because my eyesight is almost -6 vision (short-sighted). So my glasses have very powerful zoom.

Like I said before I can see the difference between a 55" 1080p tv compared to a 55" 4k/UHD TV from 20 feet away.

Nothing is perfect.
I wish that my HMZ-T3W was closer/bigger... Granted, I sit around 7 feet from my 65 inch plasma, so I guess that I am just weird.
post #755 of 764 Old 05-28-2015, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausdavep View Post
Just got my Japanese version. Haven't had much of a chance to play with it yet, but so far very impressed with the colours and black levels. Need to spend a bit of time getting the positioning right, but all good. Hooked up to my PS4 for a combination of gaming and movies. HDMI handshake is a little slow, but nothing too bad. SDE is present, but again, I'll get used to it.

It'll be interesting to see what Morpheus is like. If it integrates well with gaming I'll probably swap over to it.
Yeah, if I look for it, I can definitely see SDE on menu text and during sky shots in movies. It is not a deal breaker since most of the time it is not noticeable.
post #756 of 764 Old 05-28-2015, 10:36 PM

Yep mostly it's not visible

Another question, the ps4 asks you what the screen size is, assuredly because the Hmz's EDID doesn't specify one. Is there an advantage of maxing the setting out? I have I sit on 110" atm. Haven't played with it to see if it actually would make a difference either
post #757 of 764 Old 05-28-2015, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Yep mostly it's not visible

Another question, the ps4 asks you what the screen size is, assuredly because the Hmz's EDID doesn't specify one. Is there an advantage of maxing the setting out? I have I sit on 110" atm. Haven't played with it to see if it actually would make a difference either
I set mine to 750 inches lol since this is the size that Sony claims. Honestly, I do not think that it made any difference. I will set it back to 65 inches anyway because I also use my 65 inch plasma with PS4.
post #758 of 764 Old Yesterday, 04:00 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwiftSweeper View Post
I set mine to 750 inches lol since this is the size that Sony claims. Honestly, I do not think that it made any difference. I will set it back to 65 inches anyway because I also use my 65 inch plasma with PS4.

Whoops, I've had my PS3 screen size setting put to 100 inch from the beginning.

But now I'm thinking whether I should select 750 inch.

I'm also wondering if it makes any difference or if its just cobblers!
This better not be a flim flam I hope.

Going upstairs now to see if it makes a difference for my self.

Sony 3D HMZ-T3 Owner
3D Blu-ray Supporter
4K Supporter?
-----------------------------------------------------------
I like to bully 1080p 3D TV owners
But I can not bully the 3D TV owners with upscaled UHD 3D.
post #759 of 764 Old Yesterday, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwiftSweeper View Post
I wish that my HMZ-T3W was closer/bigger... Granted, I sit around 7 feet from my 65 inch plasma, so I guess that I am just weird.

That is how my current (and permanent) seating arrangement is, around 7 feet.

7 feet from a 65 inch is perfect, it's exactly what I will be doing in the near future. But in my case it WILL have to be a 4k panel that close.

Hold on to your Panasonic and don't make any changes, at least your panel is a 1080p reference model and has 3D for you to enjoy.

I'm holding out on any TV purchases at least until 2016 because of the technological changes TVs are going through as of current until things are finally set in stone in regards to HDR because TV companies are also yet to decide which versions of the consumer dolby vision/HDR compatible panels will be used for next years models etc.

It's going to be a hell of a mish mash roller coaster ride! It's the biggest TV change the industry is going to experience with all this wider colour gamut range and so on.

I'm very excited because this is my hobby.

Sony 3D HMZ-T3 Owner
3D Blu-ray Supporter
4K Supporter?
post #760 of 764 Old Yesterday, 04:03 PM

Just to let you know, changing the screen size from 100 inch to 750 inch on the PS3 did nothing at all on the HMZ so that's pretty useless.

Sony 3D HMZ-T3 Owner
3D Blu-ray Supporter
4K Supporter?
post #761 of 764 Old Yesterday, 05:26 PM

Yeah I had a feeling it might not. The t3 is a funny one in that the advertised screen size is based on distance, could easily say it's a 100" screen from (eg) 4m. Haven't had another chance to play, a 6 day old baby is cramping my movie & gaming style
post #762 of 764 Old Today, 06:59 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Yeah I had a feeling it might not. The t3 is a funny one in that the advertised screen size is based on distance, could easily say it's a 100" screen from (eg) 4m. Haven't had another chance to play, a 6 day old baby is cramping my movie & gaming style
Did you change to the cinema curve 2 mode? I don't have T3 but I really want to get one so please give me some reviews.
thank
post #763 of 764 Old Today, 07:17 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Anyone tried my settings from last page? Would be interesting to know what others think of them
post #764 of 764 Unread Today, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andersos View Post
Anyone tried my settings from last page? Would be interesting to know what others think of them

Mine used to be all 0's but wasn't happy initially (picture wasn't sharp enough before) , will have to double check again though.

I'm actually surprised that no one's tried my settings a few pages back and given any reports so far!

Sony 3D HMZ-T3 Owner
3D Blu-ray Supporter
4K Supporter?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 3D Displays

Tags
Oculus Rift Developers Kit

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page