Sony HMZ-T3 Personal 3D Viewer HMD Rumors, Information and Speculation thread - Page 27 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 15Likes

post #781 of 799 Old 06-27-2015, 09:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Yeah I think you may be right about Morpheus not being better for movies compared to HMZ.

Those were a good choice of movies for 3d. You should also get Guardians of the Galaxy 3d.

Pacific Rim is an awesome choice for 3d. I only have the 2d blu ray and even though i watched it in 2d it felt more immersive compared to Thor the Dark World in 3d. The picture quality was nothing short of awesomeness. So much better then when I watched it at the cinema.

Sony 3D HMZ-T3 Owner
3D Blu-ray Supporter
4K Supporter?
-----------------------------------------------------------
I like to bully 1080p 3D TV owners
But I can not bully the 3D TV owners with upscaled UHD 3D.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #782 of 799 Old 06-27-2015, 11:06 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
It seems that most people enjoy this product.

I tried one out at the Sony store last year and I watched my House of Wax Blu-Ray in 3D, and I wasn't impressed at all. The depth didn't come anywhere close to what I see on my plasma.
post #783 of 799 Old 06-28-2015, 08:33 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by revgen View Post
It seems that most people enjoy this product.

I tried one out at the Sony store last year and I watched my House of Wax Blu-Ray in 3D, and I wasn't impressed at all. The depth didn't come anywhere close to what I see on my plasma.
I watched around 12 3D movies on HMZ so far, and I tried a few 3D games also (Uncharted 3, Killzone 3, Resistance 3, Wipeout, Super Stardust, Trine 1, and Trine 2). From my experience, depth and pop on HMZ are just as good as on my Panasonic ZT60 plasma. Moreover, when I got HMZ, I run it through Negative Parallax (pop), and Positive Parallax (depth) test patterns on Spears & Munsil Calibration Disc, and HMZ displayed various levels of depth and pop on the patterns without any issues whatsoever.

I do feel that 3D on HMZ feels a bit different from 3D on my ZT60. When I watch 3D on HMZ, it is like one continuous stage in front of my eyes where the action takes place both in front and behind the screen. When I watch 3D on ZT60, there is much clearer distinction between pop and depth.
post #784 of 799 Old 06-28-2015, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Banshee View Post
Yeah I think you may be right about Morpheus not being better for movies compared to HMZ.

Those were a good choice of movies for 3d. You should also get Guardians of the Galaxy 3d.

Pacific Rim is an awesome choice for 3d. I only have the 2d blu ray and even though i watched it in 2d it felt more immersive compared to Thor the Dark World in 3d. The picture quality was nothing short of awesomeness. So much better then when I watched it at the cinema.
Yeah, I have Gardians of Galaxy 3D too, and I just re-watched it along with Gravity 3D on HMZ. I still need to re-watch on HMZ some of my 3D favorites like Dredd, Start Trek: Into the Darkness, Prometheus, the Great Gatsby, and Man of Steel. Another great HMZ and 3D showpiece is Sin City: a Dame to Kill. The story is not the best, but the visuals are stunning.

Amazon extended my HMZ return window until Monday (the last day to return it on), and to be honest, I am still not sold on HMZ. In meantime, I have been using HMZ to re-watch some of my favorite 3D movies and play the Witcher 3.

I also started to wear a ski hat, which helps a lot with forehead discomfort.

Last edited by SwiftSweeper; 06-28-2015 at 10:17 AM.
post #785 of 799 Old 06-28-2015, 10:25 AM

Sony could of added the 3d settings function for depth and pop. It wouldn't of been asking for too much. They could of also added a few extra picture settings such as tint and gamma control.

Too late for all that now, oh well.

This device still costs more when compared to 55" 3d tvs.

Sony 3D HMZ-T3 Owner
3D Blu-ray Supporter
4K Supporter?
post #786 of 799 Old 06-28-2015, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Sony could of added the 3d settings function for depth and pop. It wouldn't of been asking for too much. They could of also added a few extra picture settings such as tint and gamma control.

Too late for all that now, oh well.

This device still costs more when compared to 55" 3d tvs.
My ZT60 does not have settings for depth and pop either, and it has TONs of advanced settings. 3D settings in video games are the only places where I saw such settings.

You can try adjusting the screen size setting on your blu ray player. I heard that it suppose to affect 3D effect (smaller screen = more 3d effect). I have not tested it myself though.

I agree with you that tint/hue control should have been included. It is puzzling that it was not since it is considered to be a fairy basic picture adjustment control. The best that you can do for tint adjustment is to change the color temperature setting (Warm 2, Warm 1, Medium, or Natural). Granted, from my pattern tests and general observation, HMZ color is pretty accurate out of the box, so lack of tint control is not a big loss.

Gamma adjustment would be overkill for HMZ though, since without measuring instruments, which could not be used with HMZ anyway, it is not possible to set it correctly.
post #787 of 799 Old 06-28-2015, 01:15 PM

My HMZ-T3W settings

For my HMZ calibration, I used calibration patterns on Spears & Munsil 2nd Edition and Disney WOW calibration discs. I also used the color filters included with these discs. Using the filters was tricky process because I had to stick the color filter between HMZ lenses and my eyeball. Spears & Munisil was the primary disc that I used for the calibration, and it is the only disc that has 3D calibration tools. I used Disney WOW for Picture (Contrast) setting because Spears & Munsil contrast pattern is difficult to use with HMZ. The rest of patterns on Spears & Munsil, Disney WOW, and Digital Video Essentials discs were used to verify correctness of the calibration and perform basic display evaluation.

Unlike my Panasonic ZT60, I ended up with identical settings on HMZ for both 3D and 2D. This is probably due to glassless and dual screen nature of HMZ.

3D Settings
Auto 3D: On

Display
Picture Mode: Custom
Picture: 90
Brightness: 51
Color: 54
Color Temperature: Medium
Panel Drive Mode: Normal
Clear Black: 0
Sharpness Hi: +2
Sharpness Mid: +1
Noise Reduction: Off
Contrast Remaster: Off
Display Size: 100%
Screen: Normal
24p True Cinema: On
Cinema Conversion: Auto
Overscan: Off
Wide Mode: Full

Sound
Surround: Cinema (movies an tv shows only), Game (games only)
Dolby Pro Logic IIx: Off
DTS Neo 6: Off
Treble: 0
Bass: 0
Harmonics Equalizer: On

General Setup
HDMI Dynamic Range: Auto
HDMI Pass Through: On
Control for HDMI: On
Power Off When Unmounted: On
No Signal Standby: On
Menu Display: 3D
Prolonged Viewer Warning: Off
Startup Viewer Warning: Off
Wireless Connection: On
Wireless Standby: On

Check these out
The Banshee likes this.
post #788 of 799 Old 06-30-2015, 02:33 AM

Many thanks will definitely check your settings out.

Sony 3D HMZ-T3 Owner
3D Blu-ray Supporter
4K Supporter?
post #789 of 799 Old 06-30-2015, 02:39 AM

Just noticed but why's your Pro Logic/ DTS Neo 6 off for sound?

I use Sony ma900 open headphones and have the settings on.

Sony 3D HMZ-T3 Owner
3D Blu-ray Supporter
4K Supporter?
post #790 of 799 Old 06-30-2015, 04:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
The fact that the HMZ are 720p panels make people upset but I can reassure you that the quality bests any 1080p displays out there especially the 1080p OLEDs.

It has one major competitor it will never beat - a 4k panel (only if the 4k tv is 60" or larger) but is close (how,why... I'll explain later).

But the details you see on the 100 inch screen surpasses any 85-90 inch 1080p screen tv panel.

And the colour reproduction and contrast beats any projector setup too because of the immersiveness of this this device. Especially native 3d content like Avatar.

I have the Japanese non-wireless Triluminous OLED model.

Now I have excellent vision once my glasses are on and I can perceive things really well. Can tell the difference between resolution difference between a 50" 4k tv vs 50" 1080p tv from 25 feet away. Yes that is true.

It has come to my knowledge that the further away you sit from any screen or panel (regardless tv, projector etc) the better picture quality gets. Now all those who own a 1080p tv of 50" and larger and no matter how much you calibrate the the tv for example you can never sit and watch a blu ray movie from 1-2 feet away. I don't know anyone on planet earth that watches a large set from 1 feet away for example, because you'd see all the pixels and the overall picture would look hilariously terrible.

Same case scenario, no one watches a 750 inch cinema screen and decides to sit at the several front rows!

I watched Prometheus in the Greenwich giant massive Sky screen and the back rows were taken so had to sit in the middle front row and that was my worst viewing ever. Being so close made it look like watching DVD in the cinema - terrible.

This is what the actual problem lies in here with the HMZ that the panels are right in front of your eyes, so so close. So even if it was a 1080p panel, you'd still have the same problem.

I have managed to sit 1-2 feet away from several 4k flagship panels and it works a little better. But to have a realistic video quality even for 4k you'll still have to sit back a little further. Because there is a difference in actual picture resolution and actual picture viewing overall quality.

I can guarantee that everyone that's professionally calibrated their TV sets and decided to sit 1-4 feet away from their tv, their calibration would just go out the window. Because no one watches panels up that close as it distorts video quality and makes the image look like a heavily processed photo.

Hence why sharpness is always reduced to 0 or off or the best overall outcome.

However in the case of the HMZ because the panels are literally in front of your eye balls via the magnifier lenses the Sharpness - Hi has to be set high to a +6 or +4 and the Sarpness - Mid to +4 and this is very unfortunate, but has to be done in my opinion for my best viewing otherwise images are a bit blurry.

And in order to avoid blurriness around the edges set the screen to Theater -2
Which slightly curves the screen but does not distort the centre image in my honest opinion.
The hmz3 is not Even close to the sharpness of a 1080p Oled
fatherom likes this.
post #791 of 799 Old 06-30-2015, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaktmestern View Post
The hmz3 is not Even close to the sharpness of a 1080p Oled
Hi Vaktmestern, read a lot about your posts in the Samsung 3D, 4k curved TV thread. A lot of good information.

Can you please tell me when you watch 3D blurays on your Active set if the 1080p 3D bluray is upscaled to 4k or not? Or does it even do a partial upscale?

Been trying to find this answer for quite a while.

Much appreciated, many thanks.

Sony 3D HMZ-T3 Owner
3D Blu-ray Supporter
4K Supporter?
post #792 of 799 Old 06-30-2015, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Just noticed but why's your Pro Logic/ DTS Neo 6 off for sound?

I use Sony ma900 open headphones and have the settings on.
To my knowledge, Pro Logic and DTS 6 Neo 6 purpose is to convert stereo input into surround sound output. By default, most of modern sources (DVDs, BluRays, Games, streaming video apps) will provide HMZ with real 5.1 or 7.1 discrete surround, which HMZ will convert to Dolby Headphone, so there is no need for Pro Logic or DTS 6 Neo in most cases. Surround setting is the setting that specifies the specific 5.1/7.1 to Dolby Headphone conversion. Honestly, I am not sure that Pro Logic and DTS New 6 would even activate when the input is not stereo, so I suppose that you can leave these settings on.
post #793 of 799 Old 06-30-2015, 10:59 PM

After extensively testing and using HMZ-T3W for a little over 30 days, I decided that I wanted to share my thoughts on the product. I hope that some will find my long winded ramblings useful.

In short, I love the concept of HMZ-T3W and some of HMZ other aspects, but there are issues that need to be addressed. I ended up loving and hating the HMZ at the same time, so I had really hard time deciding whether or not I should keep it.

There are some things that I do really like about HMZ.

1. I love that it is super portable and does not take a lot of space, and it is neat that I can use it while I am lying in my bed.

2. The screen feels BIG. I am not sure if it feels like a movie theater screen, but it feels substantially bigger than my 65 inch plasma tv.

3. The surround sound effect sounds convincing, and the included headphones sound good as well. I also love that I can just plug any headphones with a small jack. I already have good wireless Dolby Surround headphones, but with HMZ, I do not need to use them because HMZ sounds just as good to my ears.

4. Apart from a few issues that I will get to later in the post, the image is very nice. The black level is good. Color is good. Contrast and motion handling are also good. Switching between HMZ and my Panasonic ZT60 plasma, I do not notice major differences between HMZ and ZT60 when it comes to these picture quality aspects.

5. Unlike my ZT60, brightness remains the same in 3D and 2D. On ZT60, I had to calibrate ZT60 for 3D with higher brightness setting (by a few notches) and contrast all the way up, so I can compensate for brightness hit caused by active shutter glasses. My ZT60 has minimum cross talk in 96hz mode, and I do not even notice it anymore unless I actively look for it. However, on HMZ, I do not see any cross talk at all. There is no image flicker in 3D on HMZ either.

My issues are as follows.

1. Ergonomics is a BIG problem with HMZ unfortunately, and just in case you are wondering, I am not an alien with trigonal head, elephant trunk, and five eyes who also interested in 3D, head mounted displays, and enjoys posting on AVS Forums. My head is average size and shape, and I have normal face features. On other words, I look like the guy in Sony's own promo photos for HMZ-T3W!

To be frank, I am puzzled how HMZ-T3W passed Sony QA testing and made it to its third iteration with such bad ergonomic design. Did Sony not hear tons of complains regarding HMZ-T1 ergonomics? Did anyone at Sony bother to actually wear HMZ for more than an hour? I just can not wrap my mind around this.

I spent hours upon hours trying different positions for the forehead pad and adjusting the two back stripes. While I was able to improve the comfort and wear HMZ longer, it would still get really uncomfortable after about an hour. The unit requires too much pressure on forehead to stay in place.

It is also difficult to lift HMZ off my nose, which is annoying at best, and makes it difficult to breathe through my nose at worst, but who needs air when you have 3D right?

The forehead pad also leaves a big red mark on my forehead, and it takes ages go away. As the result, I can not use the unit before I go outside my abode unless I am planning to wear a baseball cap or be made fun of by my awful awful neighbors and friends. Yep, this unit is a sure character builder.

In the last few days, I had to resort to wearing a ski hat to improve comfort, but even with the ski hat, the comfort issues never fully went away. However, wearing HMZ and the ski hat made look and feel like some special forces badass, so there is a silver lining there at least.

The unit also slides down after a while, which introduces significant vertical blur to the screen. The only way to avoid it is to tighten the two back straps, but this would make the unit feel like a medieval torture device after short time.

As the result of Sony's ingenious design, I have to fiddle with HMZ several times throughout a movie to either loosen the straps to relieve discomfort or tighten the straps and shift the unit up to fix vertical blur and prevent the unit from sliding down.

Over last 30 days, I watched more than 10 3D movies, tried several games (both 2D and 3D), and even watched a few TV shows, but I was unable to find a sweet spot of bliss and nirvana where the unit is comfortable to wear and stays in place. It is either too tight or too loose.

2. Image quality has issues.

I thought that I could get used to 720p resolution and screen door effect, but I can not. The pixel grid is clearly visible against lighter backgrounds like sky. In addition, every time the camera pulls back from the action to give these epic shots, things do not look epic, but they do look very pixelated. 4K is probably overkill for HMZ, but this unit needs to be 1080p in my opinion. Going between my 1080P plasma and HMZ can be quite jarring due to resolution hit and screen door effect, and unlike regular 720p HDTV, I can not sit farther back to alleviate the issue. I understand that it might be difficult to get 1080P Oled working in HMD, but in the age of retina screen tablets and cheap 4K tvs, 720p is just not going to cut for many people.

A few days ago, I also noticed that there is blurriness at the edges of HMZ screen. This is a less serious issue than 720p resolution and screen door effect for most of content except some video games like RPGs where one spends a lot of time in menus looking at stats, reading text, and so on. For example, I played the Witcher 3 on HMZ. The blurriness got annoying every time I went into the menu to look at my inventory or craft something.

3. Some other more minor annoyances

The bottom light guard attachment is unusable to me because it puts too much pressure on the nose. This is another example of Sony's ingenious ergonomic design. I am afraid.

There is no Color Tint/Color Saturation control. Therefore, if one of the colors appears oversaturated, the choice is either turn down Color control, which will desaturate other colors or just live with one or more oversaturated color. Thankfully, HMZ color seems fairly accurate (at least, on Neutral Color Temperature setting), so this is a minor issue for me.

Because HDMI Sec does not always work for me (my TIVO is always on), I wish that I could switch source inputs on HMZ without digging through the menus. A shortcut to input setting on the main menu would have been nice.

Wrap up

In the end, I had hard time deciding if I should return HMZ or not. Despite the issues, I still feel that it is the best in its class device, and it is the last of its sadly short lived line, and $630 that I paid for it seems cheaper than most. However, I realized that I could not live with the drawbacks. I also noticed that my HMZ screen alignment (The 3 vertical I marks and the horizontal line) was getting progressively worse as time went on, so I decided to send it back to Amazon before it becomes a serious issue. Yep, I am no longer HMZ-T3W owner.

If the issues are worked out, I feel that HMZ or head mounted display (HMD) like HMZ could be a great option for many including myself. I read/heard that Sony's Morpheus is very comfortable, easy to put on, and easy to take off. I wish that Sony did not kill off HMZ line and instead, used Morpheus chassis, kept 45 field of view, updated the screens to 1080p, and improved optics a bit to avoid edge blur. That would be a killer HMD for 3D movies, traditional games, and general tv watching. I still will be getting Morpheus regardless for VR, and I will keep my eye on new developments in HDM space. Hopefully Sony or someone else will come up with the great HMD that is not VR oriented. I feel that technology is there or almost there for it happen.
MLXXX likes this.

Last edited by SwiftSweeper; 07-01-2015 at 01:29 AM.
post #794 of 799 Old 07-01-2015, 12:43 AM

Great post, really sad for you. I mean I truly feel for you. Getting past the discomfort is a tough ride. I do understand with the 720p pixelation issue but thats only because one can't get further away from a screen that's right in front of your eye balls, hence my sharpness has been increased a bit and I use the sliders to slightly adjust from 3d to 2d sharpness/bluriness.

Sony became lazy for their 3rd generation model and expected people to pay £1,000+ for it. Hence I got my Jap model for an amazing deal of £380 GBP. I wasn't going to pay over £1,000+ for a device (thats 720p!) you can't share when playing a movie.

Because of my deal, I'm keeping mine. You should save your bucks and put it towards a 4k set in 2yrs time. Or a1080p oled set. Maybe in 1-2 years time 4k oled will be more affordable.

I'm waiting it out with my 46" 1080p set until 1-2 years. So that if Morpheus doesn't blow me away then it'll be a 4k TV set there and then.

Nobody is to blame here but Sony. This device was made during the era of retina screens found on almost every type of device. Maybe they should of compromised the OLED for 1080p LCD instead with dynamic contrast settings.
Since the Morpheus is 1080p LCD. I just think Sony are cheatingly cutting corners.
To be honest I think if this device was in the hands of Samsung we would of seen a much better product - forget about customer service though.

Yes a 1080p TV set maybe a tad bit sharper but overall picture quality is up there and for the immersiveness of this type no tv under 80 inch can beat that. In 3D and especially in the giant Cinema curve 2 screen setting for 2D viewing. So I had to evaluate £380-£450 for the HMZ or £2,500+ for a 4k tv that would be obsolete when the new UHD bluray spec is released, prompting me to start the hunt all over again for a new TV in 1-2 years after throwing away such a big amount of cash on it in the first pace. I want my next tv to be the best get go for at least the next 8 years.

Many devices are disposable products after a few years (phones, tablets, cheap laptops, MP3 players, smart watches etc.)

However a big sized £2500+ TV should not be. It should have the a life cycle of similar big products, ie; fridge, washing machine, cookers etc with minimum 5 years warranty.

In terms of current 4k (1080p) 3D TVS - Technological advancement isn't very great when the overall finalised end release is an inferior product.

In terms of the HMZ - Unfortunate for you though and many others, wish you all the best.
SwiftSweeper likes this.

Sony 3D HMZ-T3 Owner
3D Blu-ray Supporter
4K Supporter?

Last edited by The Banshee; 07-01-2015 at 12:49 AM.
post #795 of 799 Old 07-01-2015, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Great post, really sad for you. I mean I truly feel for you. Getting past the discomfort is a tough ride. I do understand with the 720p pixelation issue but thats only because one can't get further away from a screen that's right in front of your eye balls, hence my sharpness has been increased a bit and I use the sliders to slightly adjust from 3d to 2d sharpness/bluriness.

Sony became lazy for their 3rd generation model and expected people to pay £1,000+ for it. Hence I got my Jap model for an amazing deal of £380 GBP. I wasn't going to pay over £1,000+ for a device (thats 720p!) you can't share when playing a movie.

Because of my deal, I'm keeping mine. You should save your bucks and put it towards a 4k set in 2yrs time. Or a1080p oled set. Maybe in 1-2 years time 4k oled will be more affordable.

I'm waiting it out with my 46" 1080p set until 1-2 years. So that if Morpheus doesn't blow me away then it'll be a 4k TV set there and then.

Nobody is to blame here but Sony. This device was made during the era of retina screens found on almost every type of device. Maybe they should of compromised the OLED for 1080p LCD instead with dynamic contrast settings.
Since the Morpheus is 1080p LCD. I just think Sony are cheatingly cutting corners.
To be honest I think if this device was in the hands of Samsung we would of seen a much better product - forget about customer service though.

Yes a 1080p TV set maybe a tad bit sharper but overall picture quality is up there and for the immersiveness of this type no tv under 80 inch can beat that. In 3D and especially in the giant Cinema curve 2 screen setting for 2D viewing. So I had to evaluate £380-£450 for the HMZ or £2,500+ for a 4k tv that would be obsolete when the new UHD bluray spec is released, prompting me to start the hunt all over again for a new TV in 1-2 years after throwing away such a big amount of cash on it in the first pace. I want my next tv to be the best get go for at least the next 8 years.

Many devices are disposable products after a few years (phones, tablets, cheap laptops, MP3 players, smart watches etc.)

However a big sized £2500+ TV should not be. It should have the a life cycle of similar big products, ie; fridge, washing machine, cookers etc with minimum 5 years warranty.

In terms of current 4k (1080p) 3D TVS - Technological advancement isn't very great when the overall finalised end release is an inferior product.

In terms of the HMZ - Unfortunate for you though and many others, wish you all the best.
When I calibrated HMZ, I found that raising Sharpness Mid and Hi controls past +1 and +2 retrospectively introduced significant picture artifacts. In the similar fashion, lowering Sharpness Mid/Hi below -3 made the picture too soft. Hence, my Sharpness settings were +1 for Mid and +2 for High, so I can get the sharpest picture possible but without picture artifacts or noise introduced by too much sharpness.

Yeah, I felt that $630 was still too much money for the experience that I got. If HMZ was $300 - 400, I would have kept it. I might even go as high as $500. £1000 for HMZ-T3W is just nuts to me.

I am not sold on 4K resolution to be honest. I feel that one has to sit impossibly close to get real benefit. At my normal viewing distance, I see no difference between 4K and 1080p displays, and unlike many, I like to sit very close to a tv. There are real diminishing returns when it comes to 4K resolution on tvs due to human vision limitations. One exception is 4K for passive 3D because it solves the resolution hit caused by passive 3D. I am much more excited about HDR and expanded color gamut than 4K.

I agree with you that it is still too early to buy high end 4K set. Things are still not finalized, and there is not enough 4K content yet, so I understand why you chose to go with HMZ.

Morpheus at this year E3 was a near final design according to Sony, and it had 1080p OLED screen not LCD screen. Sony is using OLED in Morpheus because LCDs do not handle motion well. Good motion handling is important for VR from what I heard.

My 1080p 65 inch ZT60 is not just tad sharper than HMZ. It is significantly sharper than HMZ. There is no screen door effect or edge blurriness on ZT either. ZT60 picture is razor sharp, smooth, and film like with lifelike colors, deep blacks, and excellent contrast both in 2D and 3D. We are talking about 2,073,600 pixels on ZT60 vs 921,600 pixels on HMZ. The only things that HMZ really does better than ZT are big screen size perception and portability. Everything else is just as good on ZT60 or better..

For 3D, cross talk and flicker are so minor on ZT60 that they are not real issues or much of advantage for HMZ. The brightness hit caused by active shutter glasses can be eliminated on ZT by readjusting picture controls (Contrast, Brightness, Color, etc.), and ZT60 stores separate settings for 2D and 3D in each picture mode. HMZ has good 3D pop and depth according to my tests, but apart from big virtual screen size, 3D on HMZ lacks the wow factor I get from watching 3D on ZT. I am not sure why this is the case since like I said, the depth and pop are there. Some people speculate that it is because unlike traditional tvs like ZT, HMZ screen moves when one moves his/her head around, so it is harder to get a point of reference for 3D effect.

Immersion can be achieved by sitting closer to a tv and watching it in a dark room. There is a reason some people feel that HZM screen is as big as a movie theater screen, and others feel that it is more like a projector screen. From my experience, my ZT is more immersive than HMZ when I sit at proper distance because there is no screen door effect, visible resolution loss, edge blurriness, and comfort issues.

Unlike HMZ, ZT60 can be professionally calibrated and has very extensive advanced picture settings, so it can be dialed to as close to perfect picture as possible, which will widen the gap between ZT and HMZ even farther.

I am very happy with my ZT, and I would not considered HMZ if I could keep the ZT. Unfortunately, I will be moving soon, and I will not be able to take my ZT with me. It is too expensive to transport, and there will be no room to put it in because I will be renting a bedroom at 2 bedroom university apartment for next 2 years of graduate school. Plus, I will have to move again 2 years later after I graduate. My options are either to leave ZT behind for time being with my family or sell it. HMZ seemed like a good solution for me on paper due to its portability and small form factor, and this is the main reason that I spent so much time trying to make it work.

It looks like that I will have to settle for smaller size LCD as a temporary display. Unfortunately, from my research, there is only one LCD on the market that does 3D at 40 inches, and there are very few displays between 40 to 50 inches that do 3D. I might just get a Vizio E series set (either 40, 43, 50 inch depending on the bedroom size) as a stop gap solution for next two years. There is no 3D on Vizio sets, but they are cheap and outperform many more expensive sets in 2D according to reviews, and I can get 1080p 50 inch version for less money than I paid for HMZ.

Last edited by SwiftSweeper; 07-02-2015 at 12:38 AM.
post #796 of 799 Old 07-02-2015, 06:30 PM

Well your 2 year gap should be just perfect for you to spend less and save big for the 'Big Tahoma' when the moment comes!

Yeah increasing the sharpness does make detail sharper but at the cost of artefacts, unfortunately.

I didn't pay attention that Sony finalised Morpheus with OLED, that is good.

You're right about 3D active shutter glasses, no idea why people complain when all it takes is just a press of a button to set the dynamic backlight control and/or brightness a few notches higher when viewing 3D. Or have a separate custom picture setting just for 3D only. Here colour shouldn't be an issue because 3D blu rays are more colourful compared to their 2D counterpart as shown so many times on the forum.blu-ray.com reviews.

The reason I'm slightly biased on the HMZ is because of the following case scenario:

The HMZ does very well for a 720p display that is so close to ones eyes.
If one was to sit right up close (about 1-4 feet) you'd see how terrible, ugly and pixelated any 1080p LCD display panel thats over 46" becomes when watching a blu ray - not that one watches their screen from so up close!

Here is where it does not do well: The designers should of created a bigger distance between the magnification lens and the screen. Or the magnifier should of pushed the lenses further away. So initially make a bigger degree/field of view like Morpheus/Rift but have the magnifiers not bring the screen up so close so that images become pixelated.

That is what worries me about Morpheus, that Sony may make the same mistake.

When a person goes to view a Real IMAX or giant screen in the cinema that sane person/AVS hobbiest wouldn't sit in the front rows! Neither would this sane person sit at the far back rows watching the screen with a pair of binoculars. Only a deranged human being would do that - sorry no offence to anyone out there, please forgive me in advance.

No one stands right in front of their projector screen and watches movies like that either. You'll just see edge blurriness and heavy pixelation and what not.

Though Morpheus has a bigger field of view I hope the magnifier doesn't bring the screen so/too close. Because if it does - then even at 1080p images will be pixelated and your many years older ZT60 would still outclass the device. This goes for everyone.

I have already foreseen the issues that will arise with Morpheus in terms of bluray/movie /3D viweing hence I have pointed it out here.

So Morpheus my dear, you have a good large field of view but don't bring the screen so close with the magnifier.

I do not know if an app would be required to playback movies on it. But the field of view should stay the same and let the user adjust the screen size like HMZ.
BUT more IMPORTANTLY have an option on the device or app to let the user choose how far or close he wants to be/sit in 'the rows' in the virtual cinema screen.

Do you guys think I should send Sony an email for this important suggestion?
Morpheus may be important for the VR guys but it is very important and crucial for us movie folks as well. This isn't a one way device it is a two way device you know.
No room for compromises. We're not asking Morpheus to upgrade to 4k you know. That wouldn't sit well with games and for the VR people.

Sorry for another long post.

Sony 3D HMZ-T3 Owner
3D Blu-ray Supporter
4K Supporter?

Last edited by The Banshee; 07-02-2015 at 06:40 PM.
post #797 of 799 Old 07-03-2015, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 28
We are still making cushion pads over at www.Blazin3D.com if users are having comfort issues. They seem to be helping numerous HMZ users.

If you want some amazing surround sound headphones, I highly suggest the Sony MDR-HW700 wireless headphones with 9.1 surround. I been using them all the time and truly love them, sounds like a movie theater almost

3D items I own:

Sony 46" LX900 active 3D set

Sony HMZ-T3 (Cushion pads and light blocker mod)

LG LW6500 passive 3D set

PS3 & PS4

Sony BDP-S570 BD3D player

JVC-GS-TD1 (with Cyclopital base extender)

Fujifilm W3

Sony Alpha 55 (for 3D panoramic photos)

Quadcopter + Zenmuse and GoPro Hero 3 (Filming...

post #798 of 799 Old Today, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwiftSweeper View Post
My HMZ-T3W settings

For my HMZ calibration, I used calibration patterns on Spears & Munsil 2nd Edition and Disney WOW calibration discs. I also used the color filters included with these discs. Using the filters was tricky process because I had to stick the color filter between HMZ lenses and my eyeball. Spears & Munisil was the primary disc that I used for the calibration, and it is the only disc that has 3D calibration tools. I used Disney WOW for Picture (Contrast) setting because Spears & Munsil contrast pattern is difficult to use with HMZ. The rest of patterns on Spears & Munsil, Disney WOW, and Digital Video Essentials discs were used to verify correctness of the calibration and perform basic display evaluation.

Unlike my Panasonic ZT60, I ended up with identical settings on HMZ for both 3D and 2D. This is probably due to glassless and dual screen nature of HMZ.

3D Settings
Auto 3D: On

Display
Picture Mode: Custom
Picture: 90
Brightness: 51
Color: 54
Color Temperature: Medium
Panel Drive Mode: Normal
Clear Black: 0
Sharpness Hi: +2
Sharpness Mid: +1
Noise Reduction: Off
Contrast Remaster: Off
Display Size: 100%
Screen: Normal
24p True Cinema: On
Cinema Conversion: Auto
Overscan: Off
Wide Mode: Full

Sound
Surround: Cinema (movies an tv shows only), Game (games only)
Dolby Pro Logic IIx: Off
DTS Neo 6: Off
Treble: 0
Bass: 0
Harmonics Equalizer: On

General Setup
HDMI Dynamic Range: Auto
HDMI Pass Through: On
Control for HDMI: On
Power Off When Unmounted: On
No Signal Standby: On
Menu Display: 3D
Prolonged Viewer Warning: Off
Startup Viewer Warning: Off
Wireless Connection: On
Wireless Standby: On

Check these out

I am currently using these picture settings on my HMZ (display settings only) from SwiftSweeper and am really happy with them.

Thanks, excellent job.
SwiftSweeper likes this.

Sony 3D HMZ-T3 Owner
3D Blu-ray Supporter
4K Supporter?
post #799 of 799 Old Today, 03:31 PM

Quote:
I am currently using these picture settings on my HMZ (display settings only) from SwiftSweeper and am really happy with them.

Thanks, excellent job.
Heh, I am glad that the settings work for you and thanks for trying them out
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 3D Displays

Tags
Oculus Rift Developers Kit

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page