Sony HMZ-T3 Personal 3D Viewer HMD Rumors, Information and Speculation thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #91 of 647 Old 10-30-2013, 03:36 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 48
the optics are better for sure. the sweet spot. with my old glasses i can get sweet spot very quickly but with my new smaller size glasses i need to hunt for the sweet spot more. i need to try HMZ T3 with contact lenses to make a proper comparison. I was sceptical about wireless module. Now I love it to bits. It makes HMZ T3 truly transportable and you can take it on a long haul flight. The processor can stay stationary in the house connected to several sources. Hdmi input can be selected from HMD on the go when you play in your room. You can switch off the processor unit and connect any HDMI source directly to the wireless module and off you go. It should give about 7 hours of operation in HDMI mode (only 3 hours in wireless or MHL mode) . There is a flight mode in the menu which switches radio channel completely off on a battery unit so it's legal on the plane. Terrific companion for my 2 ultrabooks. It's a different class device from 1st and 2nd gen HMZs. However I am sure a lot of people will still hate it so ideally you need to try it first but 5 minutes with the demo unit in the shop will not make it. You need minimum 30 min to play with it, adjust, try different settings, modes, sound etc....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 647 Old 10-30-2013, 03:52 PM

and yes - there is separate PSU for the wireless module which provides charging and operation from the mains. 1.5A 5V via micro USB so any good Li battery should work with this to charge without mains. The internal battery is replaceable but may be Sony proprietary which can make it difficult to replace.
post #93 of 647 Old 10-30-2013, 06:51 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
borand,
thanks for the report and details on the psu/battery. I might have to give one of these a spin.

two questions for you:
a) any comments on the wireless range? will wireless work from room to room...how much range are you getting?
b) how is the light spill from outside the unit - any improvement in immersion vs. the T1? On the T1 (that I just demoed in store - not setup optimally) the amount of outside I could see was distracting.
post #94 of 647 Old 10-30-2013, 06:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
I wonder why others are getting this already and here in Japan nothing... Supposed to be out but no pre-orders yet and NO word. Sucks....

3D items I own:

Sony 46" LX900 active 3D set

Sony HMZ-T3 (Cushion pads and light blocker mod)

LG LW6500 passive 3D set

PS3 & PS4

Sony BDP-S570 BD3D player

JVC-GS-TD1 (with Cyclopital base extender)

Fujifilm W3

Sony Alpha 55 (for 3D panoramic photos)

Quadcopter + Zenmuse and GoPro Hero 3 (Filming...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #95 of 647 Old 10-30-2013, 11:41 PM

Liked: 11
Thank u for your impressions Borland, what about the tunnel effect? do u see any light borders like T1/T2?
I love this gadget and i hope that Sony Spain ship it soon. Why they are selling in UK and not yet in Spain?¿?¿

Regards
post #96 of 647 Old 10-31-2013, 07:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 163
It's not even on the Canadian website yet!! mad.gif Called Sony and they have no idea when it's coming either. It's in stock in the US right now as well.

borland, would you say the 2D picture is significantly improved over the T2?
post #97 of 647 Old 10-31-2013, 09:22 AM

I can't say that there is HUGE improvement in image quality but the image is definitely better plus a lot of tweaking options can satisfy most of the people. 2 theatrical modes with curved screen is also a nice touch for 2D movies. Also native 24p support looks good.
Wireless range depends on many things and is very directional. The antennas are placed on the base and battery units on the side with Sony logo and battery unit is supplied with a small kickstand to place it in a better position for the reception. The reflection from the ceiling also affects the range. However forget if you want to stream signal through the wall from one room to another - it would not work. I achieved about 6m range with battery unit facing the front of the base unit. It seems like the beam is about 35 degrees. You can get 7m with the stand.
Tunnel effect - it;s less but still there - it does not bother me much as internal light bleed is min. You still see a frame but I like it bright on the screen. reducing brightness may help.
External light bleed. The unit comes with 2 upper light shields attached (removable). There is another rubber bottom light shield which is fiddly to install and if you wear glasses can become a nightmare. However when installed it gives pretty good light protection for my face and eyes but some faces may not be happy with having this rubber thing touching your skin.
I think for me it's a keeper. The only big thing can improve it - 1080p for games. The movies can also benefit from this resolution. You can't have it all at the moment....
post #98 of 647 Old 10-31-2013, 12:48 PM

Liked: 10

This is an unusual question:

Can you use this on your computer for word processing, using the Internet, or other work-related activities?

The reason why I am asking is because I have a rare autoimmune disease that causes low blood pressure when standing up. This disease also causes high resting heart rates, and the most comfortable position is when I am lying down, which keeps me from getting extremely exhausted. I am going to pursue an online degree next spring, and I wondering if this option would work for me. Anyways, I would imagine that this would not be ideal, as this was not what it was intended for.

I am trying to figure out the most ideal setup for me. These setups could work for me, except that they are extremely expensive and take up a lot of room.

post #99 of 647 Old 10-31-2013, 01:20 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysarray View Post

Can you use this on your computer for word processing, using the Internet, or other work-related activities?.
With the HMZ-T1, I browse the internet, but typing would be a problem because of not being able to readily see a keyboard. Also check out the Laidback which are handy for laptops.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #100 of 647 Old 10-31-2013, 01:21 PM

when i connect T3 to my ultrabook with native 720p resolution which is native resolution for HMZ-T3 I can see desktop clearly and can surf the net and answer e-mails. However I am not sure I would be able or want to use it as a monitor replacement. for normal computer tasks. I think in your situation good ultrabook is more suited for working in a horizontal position. The HMZ is still weighs several hundred grams, the rear band with lock can be not very comfy when you lean on a pillow for extended time and can restrict blood flow if you constantly lean back. Go for good ultrabook mate....
post #101 of 647 Old 10-31-2013, 01:58 PM

Thank you for your input.

I have a Sony Vaio Duo 13", which works well. I am going to use some sort of laptop table (maybe the laptop laidback) too, for my school setup.

post #102 of 647 Old 10-31-2013, 03:42 PM

the cooling on the wireless/battery pack is not active - it does have small fan. it's only active in wireless mode and stops completely in HDMI. But you will not hear it anyway - because you wear very good headphones I hope.
post #103 of 647 Old 10-31-2013, 03:43 PM

I mean not passive....
post #104 of 647 Old 11-01-2013, 01:31 AM

Liked: 13
Sounds very good so far, thanks borland!

One finnish shop got 5 in stock yesterday. But strangely, the finnish Sony shop still show it as preorder for 28 - 29 november delivery.
Hope it will be available in Japan soon. It would be about 200€ cheaper to import it smile.gif
post #105 of 647 Old 11-01-2013, 05:57 AM

In stock SONY USA
FedEx confirmation expecting delivery this afternoon
post #106 of 647 Old 11-01-2013, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
No update yet on a Japan release. Kinda sucks, was thinking we would get it first. I was told Nov 1st but no updates to their website. Just waiting and once out I shall get one and mod it!

3D items I own:

Sony 46" LX900 active 3D set

Sony HMZ-T3 (Cushion pads and light blocker mod)

LG LW6500 passive 3D set

PS3 & PS4

Sony BDP-S570 BD3D player

JVC-GS-TD1 (with Cyclopital base extender)

Fujifilm W3

Sony Alpha 55 (for 3D panoramic photos)

Quadcopter + Zenmuse and GoPro Hero 3 (Filming...

post #107 of 647 Old 11-01-2013, 04:21 PM

Bravia, it would be nice if could come up with some mod. However I still use T3 without any mod! I don't want to say it's 100% perfect but it miles ahead of T1. Forehead is not a problem anymore. My sweet spot brings slightly more pressure on my nose which becomes only slightly uncomfy after about an hour or an hour and a half. But if you play with straps (I mean HMZ:)) and forehead cushion holder (it retracts in 3 dif height positions) you can get very comfy without any mods. The light shields are crap - just don't stay in place for long and fiddly to attach. I've been thinking how to mod the existing shields to stay in place without glue and be removeable.
post #108 of 647 Old 11-01-2013, 09:24 PM

I got mine yesterday and its going back. I have 2 hmz-t1 modded to ski goggles and i get much better experience from those. Out of the box T3 is definitely better and i can achieve clear view of the screen. Could not do that with T1, sides were blurry. After mod i get 100% clear screen from T1's, more comfort and lighter design. Ohh and i paid 600 euros for both of them, t3 costs 1300 euros. I had t2 also but sold it for profit as i didnt dare to mod that. I dont notice any difference between image quality and the size seems to be the same. Wireless option was nice but not necessary for me.

Tunnel effect: Its there, much worse than on my modded T1's. Note that ive painted outer and inner lenses to reduce 80% of it, so i cant compare stock for stock. If i had to guess, its about the same.
post #109 of 647 Old 11-01-2013, 11:33 PM

perkele, did you get it from Verkkokauppa? I have 100% clear screen on T1 without any mods at all, but then I'm lucky to have a head that fits HMZ perfectly. So I reckon T3 can only be better for me, and I'll keep the T1 as backup.

bravia3d, are you going to proxy T3 to others? If so, I could be interested as it would be about 200€ cheaper even with customs to import it.
post #110 of 647 Old 11-02-2013, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andersos View Post

perkele, did you get it from Verkkokauppa? I have 100% clear screen on T1 without any mods at all, but then I'm lucky to have a head that fits HMZ perfectly. So I reckon T3 can only be better for me, and I'll keep the T1 as backup.

bravia3d, are you going to proxy T3 to others? If so, I could be interested as it would be about 200€ cheaper even with customs to import it.

Yep verkkokauppa has 5 for online sale and 5 more in Helsinki store shelves ATM, at least thats what one salesman told me. And yes, T3 is much better than T1 when compared out of the box experience, if you dont mind the price. Of course that can differ depending on a person so i wont give any recommendations! Wireless and curved 2d screen are pretty sweet upgrades.
post #111 of 647 Old 11-02-2013, 04:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 130
So the curved screen modes wasnt worth the upgrade?
post #112 of 647 Old 11-02-2013, 04:33 AM

interesting experience from another user! however I wonder what was expected from T3? If I had perfectly fitted, light and blur free ski google modded T1 and did not want all new sound modes and portable solution for using on the move - I would have skipped this VERY expensive upgrade to T3. For me it's not the wireless mode which makes T3 a keeper - it's that you can use battery wifi module COMPLETELY independently from the base unit - you can take it with you, connect to your ultrabook or any other HDMI source WITHOUT base station. I have 6+ hours in HDMI mode without using separate small PSU for the battery unit. Also with new sound system in the base unit which now decodes all major formats and new DAC and amp - the sound blows you away but only IF you bother about good sound and have decent headphone. I use Sennheiser HD650 and this just makes me trying to avoid HMZ T1 again.

2d curved screen mode on it's own WILL NOT justify buying the T3 - don't do it pls if you don't need everything else I've mentioned above.
post #113 of 647 Old 11-02-2013, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borland View Post

interesting experience from another user! however I wonder what was expected from T3? If I had perfectly fitted, light and blur free ski google modded T1 and did not want all new sound modes and portable solution for using on the move - I would have skipped this VERY expensive upgrade to T3. For me it's not the wireless mode which makes T3 a keeper - it's that you can use battery wifi module COMPLETELY independently from the base unit - you can take it with you, connect to your ultrabook or any other HDMI source WITHOUT base station. I have 6+ hours in HDMI mode without using separate small PSU for the battery unit. Also with new sound system in the base unit which now decodes all major formats and new DAC and amp - the sound blows you away but only IF you bother about good sound and have decent headphone. I use Sennheiser HD650 and this just makes me trying to avoid HMZ T1 again.

2d curved screen mode on it's own WILL NOT justify buying the T3 - don't do it pls if you don't need everything else I've mentioned above.

I agree, your post sums it up well.

I wanted to give it a fair shot which you can only do by testing at home. Curved screen and wireless option had a big part of it. Also part of me wished that the image quality would be improved too, but its not. Still its VERY good on both of them. But now i dont have to wonder if i get something better from T3 and i can keep using T1's with a big smile. smile.gif
post #114 of 647 Old 11-02-2013, 01:03 PM

the biggest breakthrough that Sony could have given to all fans of HMDs would have been the full HD 1080p revamped OLEDs. Unfortunately it's not happened. For me it's the biggest disappointment to be honest. The rest is nice but we need more.
I have now T1 in my cupboard and I've been thinking about radical upgrade which I had been scared to do before I got T3. I am not very good with DIY to be honest. 'veI slightly damaged my ST-1080 and now lost confidence,
post #115 of 647 Old 11-02-2013, 01:36 PM

Could it be a bandwidth issue with hdmi? 2 720p screen, if it doubles the bandwidth, 1080p wouldnt be possible at 60hz. Next version could be 1080p screens, thanks to hdmi 2.0.
post #116 of 647 Old 11-02-2013, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by perkele View Post

Could it be a bandwidth issue with hdmi? 2 720p screen, if it doubles the bandwidth, 1080p wouldnt be possible at 60hz. Next version could be 1080p screens, thanks to hdmi 2.0.

No as the smd 1080 runs 2 1080p panels with 1,3hdmi
post #117 of 647 Old 11-02-2013, 02:17 PM

smd is not OLED - it's LCOS based but you are right - it does not make any difference. I think it's probably a price what stops SONY to come up with full HD. OCULUS prototype runs at 4k without any issues but it's different animal.
post #118 of 647 Old 11-02-2013, 02:52 PM

I have used my T1 a lot for 1.5 years now and it never occured to me that the T1 needs higher res screens. Looks as high res to me as when I watch a full hd tv.
So I'm not bothered, they can wait with screen upgrade until there's need for 4K screens as far as I'm concerned.
post #119 of 647 Old 11-02-2013, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

More to a picture than raw res, but when the world moves fast vs 4k i hoped for a 1080p pr eye on the t3.
post #120 of 647 Old 11-02-2013, 04:56 PM

yes - 1080p is more than enough. you can't see a pixel structure and if the optics are good it's more important (but expensive). I can't understand all this fuss with 4k when most of the people still watch less than 65" TVs. The human eye just can't resolve it. another sales trick. they better invest in proper contrast level, colour space reproduction,uniform backlight and no bleed etc.
Reply 3D Displays

Tags
Oculus Rift Developers Kit

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page