Sony HMZ-T3 Personal 3D Viewer HMD Rumors, Information and Speculation thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 619 Old 11-09-2013, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 109
I also got my unit and I think I'm finally gonna keep it after trying both the T1 and T2.

The comfort is MUCH improved over the T1 and T2. At first I couldn't get it comfy but through some trial and error I was able to use the unit for over 5 hours in one day! (with a few breaks obviously) The trick is like the previous poster said is to balance the unit.

The sweet spot is better then the previous models but still not perfect. The picture is definitely improved over the T1/T2. I notice more contrast and the image isn't as dull as the T1/T2. Curved screen mode is surprisingly awesome which further enhances that cinema feeling. I'm getting red fringing on the right side of the screens. Especially with white lettering.

I'm using Nvidia 3D, but it's going through my receiver instead of direct to the unit. Not sure if there is a driver yet for the T3. Gaming is freaking awesome on this thing. Do yourself a favor and try any of the new Batman games on the T3. They are 3D vision ready and produce a flawless experience. Also, head to the official 3D vision forum for more info and TONS of great games to play.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 619 Old 11-09-2013, 02:47 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff J View Post

I’ve had a few hours of time with the HMZ-T3 so far. On the positive side, this is just super cool tech. My main home setup is a 9ft wide scope screen that I view from a bit less than 12 feet away. The perceived T3 image size is close to the size of my screen, if not a little larger. Screen door is there, but not terrible. I seem to remember screen door being more noticeable on the T1, but had very limited experience.

I’m also surprised at how much I like the curved screen modes. They add a nice degree of immersion and I have not noticed any major artifacts. Using the HDMI out from my phone is really cool. I sat on the balcony for a few minutes and watched a bit of the Bulls game over Slingbox. Worked perfectly.

• Focus:

• My biggest issue is that I can’t get the entire width of the screen in focus. If I adjust the lens span so the outside edge of the screen is in focus, then the center is fuzzy. I can also adjust for a clear center focus with blurry edges.
  • I get the best focus results if I jam the unit into my nose, so the lenses are as close to my eyes as possible – but this is really uncomfortable and not really a solution.
  • I watched a little SportsCenter - the out-of-focus upcoming segment list on the left side of the screen was really distracting.
  • I also see a slight light blue outline around the lower half of the outside vertical edges of the screen…I think this is a lens issue and is not related to the imaging panel.
  • One to two clicks on the lens span is all I need to go one side being in focus to the other. Feel like I need a slightly larger sweet spot – I’d think head shape and visual acuity make this highly dependent on the individual.

Comfort:
  • Cumbersome is a great description. It does take a lot of tweaking to get this thing positioned. My wife gave it about 5 minutes then went back to watching the tv.
  • I have been able to get a very comfortable fit by using the forehead pad and the back strap to balance the unit away from my face, but this is at the expense of focus. A slightly compromised comfort level feels worth the benefit to focus.

Overall, I really want to like this and have some good reasons to keep it. I’ll need to watch a few movies all the way through to see if the focus issue feels as significant once I start to get into the content and less into pure image quality evaluation. I also want to do some 3D testing – has anyone tried to get NVidia 3D play up and running?

The lenses should be set so that the image should be converging towards the very center of the screen.

If you want to view text (only--or as a part of SportsCenter) on the HMZ-T3W, you will have to use a lower resolution, although changing certain settings will make a big difference in terms of how viewable the text is.

post #183 of 619 Old 11-09-2013, 03:15 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 48
never! it would add a lot of weight to already heavy system at it's limit! so think about it.....
post #184 of 619 Old 11-09-2013, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borland View Post

never! it would add a lot of weight to already heavy system at it's limit! so think about it.....
i mean battery inside visor headset...
post #185 of 619 Old 11-10-2013, 01:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by borland View Post

i mean battery inside visor headset...

if they removed all unnessesary controls on the visor and place it in the controll box n provided a more sensible remote to adjust picture settings cool.gif and tablet/cellphone batts are light weight not a problem at all having one there.
post #186 of 619 Old 11-10-2013, 03:23 AM

what unnecessary controls? Placed in what control box? do you mean the base station? Sorry - just did not get it. Polymer Li battery needs to provide power for 6 hours min in HDMI and 3 hours in HML mode.Current stock battery is probably one of the best in terms of size/capacity (I opened the battery box). Still heavy for wearing on the head.
post #187 of 619 Old 11-10-2013, 07:45 AM

Liked: 13
And with the battery in the hmd it would become larger when it needs to become slimmer.
post #188 of 619 Old 11-10-2013, 10:14 AM

.... plus detachable headphones and spare battery with a nail gun for emergency fixing it to the head when the main one runs out. but less cables of course!smile.gif
post #189 of 619 Old 11-10-2013, 12:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Super glue tongue.gif
post #190 of 619 Old 11-12-2013, 01:13 PM

I've had the HMZ-T3 for a week (also have a HMZ-T1 with the welding helmet mod). I definitely like the T3 over T1 (still not perfect due to front weight. going to mod little later), it has less weight, better focus, little bigger screen (feel like due to better optics?), less tunnel effect (hate it on T1), simulated cinema screen. Also like the sound much better over T1. I know some folks didn't like the In-Ear Headphones it comes with. I think this is the same model (MD-XB90EX) from sony japan. Amazon sells for ~$100. I like the Sub Bass sound especially watching movies, but listening music is little booming. I'm wearing eye glasses so I used my extra pair of lens to attach them to my T3 using the double-side tape. That works for me without wearing eye glasses.
post #191 of 619 Old 11-13-2013, 01:15 AM

you have very similar experience with T3 as myself. I also have similar modded T1 as you. I wear glasses and have been thinking about how to reuse my spare glasses lenses for T3. Not sure double sided tape would hold them in place?
The stock in-ear phone are not bad at all and ideal portable solution for watching on the move. I just prefer headphones over in-ear phones. So at home I use Sennheiser HD650 connected to the base station to fully utilise new sound capabilities of the T3. On the move I use the stock in-ear phones very often but sometimes i use ATH WS55i headphones which are much better for my ears. The main thing is that T3 is flexible to most users.
post #192 of 619 Old 11-13-2013, 07:48 AM

If you have spare glass lens then try attaching them with the double sided tape. The one body shop uses. It holds very well and easily removable. This mod is essential for all eye glasses wearers.
post #193 of 619 Old 11-14-2013, 03:30 AM
Advanced Member

Better to use blu tack to stick the glass lens. I own both T1 and T2. Now should I go T3 or wait for 1080p model?
post #194 of 619 Old 11-14-2013, 05:42 AM

blutack can be a very messy option I think. Should you buy T3 when you have T1 and T2? Sell T1 and T2 first and you should be OK. 1080p can be a very long way to go.
post #195 of 619 Old 11-14-2013, 05:43 AM

No word on the Playstation variant yet, so you could be waiting one year or more.

@bravia3D are you going to sell the T3W on your site?
post #196 of 619 Old 11-14-2013, 06:44 PM
Advanced Member

Been using blu tack since HMZ-T1. It's easy to remove and don't leave any mark. If the focus really improve from edge to edge then I'm in. The only problem I face with previous generation is a slight bump will put the lens out of focus.
post #197 of 619 Old 11-17-2013, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
The T3 is on sale at amazon for $899 today only. As a T1 and T2 owner I ordered one looking forward to the wireless and curved screen features...

Robert Clark
post #198 of 619 Old 11-17-2013, 08:19 PM
Bxz

Actually I ordered from sony store yesterday for the same $898, I also ordered one 2.5" HDD media player with HDMI output from amazon, guess would be nice when traveling. I think this price would last for a while at least till thxgiving. Does anyone try any SBS 3D mkv file? Would it work on the T3?
post #199 of 619 Old 11-18-2013, 06:44 PM
Advanced Member

SBS work in T1 and T2. I don't see a reason why it wouldn't work in T3. Just select 3D in the HMZ menu and select the 3D format. Framepack is auto.
post #200 of 619 Old 11-18-2013, 07:04 PM

HMZ-T3W ISSUE:

I've been using my HMZ-T3W for the past couple of days and I have observed the following PERSISTENT issue which I DID NOT observe with HMZ-T1 and HMZ-T2. Every time I "fit" the HMZ-T3W in what I believe is the correct fit, I note a ceiling effect above me and a partial floor effect below me. It's like I see a mirror image above me and a partial mirror image below me. I don't think there is anything defective with the unit and I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed this issue. I'm thinking that the issue can more than likely be corrected by adjusting the straps. I'm just not sure which of the straps is responsible for this above and below mirror effect. Can anyone assist? What am I doing wrong - where am I'm screwing up the fit? What strap would be responsible for this issue ... HELP! Or, is this nothing more than technology which is just not perfect no matter how hard I would try to adjust the fit.
post #201 of 619 Old 11-19-2013, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Clark View Post

The T3 is on sale at amazon for $899 today only. As a T1 and T2 owner I ordered one looking forward to the wireless and curved screen features...
thanks for info, but i was late, so ,PleasE, everybody who see saling tell this info here as soon as possible.
post #202 of 619 Old 11-20-2013, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bxz View Post

Actually I ordered from sony store yesterday for the same $898, I also ordered one 2.5" HDD media player with HDMI output from amazon, guess would be nice when traveling. I think this price would last for a while at least till thxgiving. Does anyone try any SBS 3D mkv file? Would it work on the T3?

Which Sony store if you don't mind me asking? Friend going to New York next week, hopefully the Madison avenue Sony Store has them in stock.
post #203 of 619 Old 11-20-2013, 10:26 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 18

One question to the owners of T3, what do you think about the screen size? Giant like they say in sony's webpage (750inch)? 

post #204 of 619 Old 11-20-2013, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suj999 View Post

Which Sony store if you don't mind me asking? Friend going to New York next week, hopefully the Madison avenue Sony Store has them in stock.
its bad idea, you must pay %8.8 ny sale tax, im living i ny and this is why i didn't buy it from B$H(its the best ny electronic shop) a day ago on sale, but you can, - google this store and check it out time to time and you easy catch the sale.
post #205 of 619 Old 11-20-2013, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILuvSonyHMZ View Post

HMZ-T3W ISSUE:

I've been using my HMZ-T3W for the past couple of days and I have observed the following PERSISTENT issue which I DID NOT observe with HMZ-T1 and HMZ-T2. Every time I "fit" the HMZ-T3W in what I believe is the correct fit, I note a ceiling effect above me and a partial floor effect below me. It's like I see a mirror image above me and a partial mirror image below me. I don't think there is anything defective with the unit and I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed this issue. I'm thinking that the issue can more than likely be corrected by adjusting the straps. I'm just not sure which of the straps is responsible for this above and below mirror effect. Can anyone assist? What am I doing wrong - where am I'm screwing up the fit? What strap would be responsible for this issue ... HELP! Or, is this nothing more than technology which is just not perfect no matter how hard I would try to adjust the fit.

I was told by SONY that this reflection is a function of how you fit the device. No matter how hard I try, I can't eliminate the top reflection. Any suggestions? It's annoying but I can live with it. It's not a product defect. The reflection occurs because the light comes from the front and hits the lenses, causing the reflection.
post #206 of 619 Old 11-20-2013, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARTmen View Post

One question to the owners of T3, what do you think about the screen size? Giant like they say in sony's webpage (750inch)? 

I've owned all three generations.

You WILL NOT be disappointed regarding the screen size. It's just an awesome toy.

I still find it uncomfortable to wear at times - but that's because I think I'm wearing it wrong. Apparently, the trick is to ensure that it rests above your nose.
post #207 of 619 Old 11-21-2013, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILuvSonyHMZ View Post

I've owned all three generations.

You WILL NOT be disappointed regarding the screen size. It's just an awesome toy.

I still find it uncomfortable to wear at times - but that's because I think I'm wearing it wrong. Apparently, the trick is to ensure that it rests above your nose.

I haven't tried one, and probably I can't because where I live the sony store don't have one, so if I buy one is going to be without trying it. I saw people saying that the T2 screen was like an 85inch TV, and for me that's not enough. What do you think about T3 screen size? And another doubt i have is, how is it in 3D pop out scenes? Does it looks like on a TV that the objects are going to hit you?

post #208 of 619 Old 11-21-2013, 02:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:

I haven't tried one, and probably I can't because where I live the sony store don't have one, so if I buy one is going to be without trying it. I saw people saying that the T2 screen was like an 85inch TV, and for me that's not enough. What do you think about T3 screen size? And another doubt i have is, how is it in 3D pop out scenes? Does it looks like on a TV that the objects are going to hit you?
These HMZ give you field of view of 45 degree. This is the sweet spot for 2.35:1 movies, meets THX sweet spot angle recommendation, and it's 20th Century Fox suggested viewing angle for movies.
I am very happy with FOV of 45 degree. I would not want it any bigger or smaller.
post #209 of 619 Old 11-21-2013, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylinestar View Post

These HMZ give you field of view of 45 degree. This is the sweet spot for 2.35:1 movies, meets THX sweet spot angle recommendation, and it's 20th Century Fox suggested viewing angle for movies.
I am very happy with FOV of 45 degree. I would not want it any bigger or smaller.

But the field of view isn't the only thing that affects the size of the image right? With that field of view, one person can see a small screen near him and another person can see a large screen far away, right?

post #210 of 619 Old 11-21-2013, 03:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:

But the field of view isn't the only thing that affects the size of the image right? With that field of view, one person can see a small screen near him and another person can see a large screen far away, right?
For 2D, FOV is the only thing.
For 3D, it's different.
Quote:
A bigger screen positioned further away from the viewer is better than a smaller screen positioned close to the viewer. Why? In the real world, when objects move closer to you, your eyes must cross to focus on them. The same goes for objects in 3D movies and broadcast programs. As 3D images appear to move off-screen, toward you, your eyes must cross to maintain focus. If the screen is positioned farther away, your eyes will remain more relaxed, tricking the brain into believing the 3D effect.

http://www.thx.com/test-bench-blog/thx-offers-3d-tips-to-cedia-installers/
Reply 3D Displays

Tags
Oculus Rift Developers Kit

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page