Plz Help Make Sense of These Image Brightness Numbers in Context of 3D Viewing - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 09-22-2013, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
(also posted in Projectors under $3000 forum)

I have been doing quite a bit of research to find a suitable projector to replace my Acer 5360. Nothing wrong with it but I just have the "itch" to upgrade to 1080p. After a very bad experience, not to mention several hundred dollars of loss when reselling it, with Epson 3020 (compared to Acer 5360, that is), I am very cautious before I pull the plug on my next purchase.

Image brightness in 3D is important to me. My current project (Acer 5360) does great (!) 3D with absolutely no cross talk or flicker. But it is NVidia 3D Vision based. There is a definite loss in image brightness when viewing it with NVidia 3D glasses. It could be due to darker LCD in NVidia 3D VIsion glasses (note to self: try DLP glasses which may improve brightness). Ever since I have started reading prospective projectors' reviews, I have noticed that one criteria used by reviewers is how bright 3D image is. So, I decided to do some homework in this regard.

Following image brightness numbers were gathered from ProjectorCentral's throw distance calculator. 120" screen. Throw Distance ~14ft to make it comparable to how far back my Acer 5360 is from the screen. Screen Gain: 1.0.

Acer 5360: 28 fL. I am using this projector at the moment.

Epson 3020: 20 fL. I owned it and didn't like it at all compared to Acer 5360.
Acer 5370: 28 fl
Acer 6510: 32 fl
Benq W1070: 19 fl (13 feet...max zoom out 1.0x).
Benq w7000: 23 fl
Optoma 131Xe: 26 fl
Optoma 25e: 29 fl
Panasonic PT-AE8000: 19 fl
ViewSonic PJD7820HD: 59fl (13 feet...max zoom out 1.0x)

I realize that these numbers are not for 3D image brightness, but I figured that the general image brightness must have some indication of what the 3D brightness would be like. If my logic is right, then what I see is not very encouraging when it comes to some of the top rated projectors I have considered. Let's discuss a few:

Epson 3020: image brightness of 20 fl is quit a bit less than Acer 5360's 28 fl. And it reflected all over in my personal experience. I was not impressed with it and at a loss for a reason frown.gif
Acer 6510: image is brighter than 5360's. Does it mean its 3D would be equally brighter as well?
Benq w1070: image brightness is quite low compared to 5360. Does it mean that its 3D image would be even darker than what I get in 5360?
Panasonic 8000: this projector is cited for its bright 3D image. But its regular image brightness is only 19fl which is quite a bit less than 5360's 28 fl. Does it mean that its 3D would not be as bright as what I get in 5360?

I am hoping someone will help me make sense of these numbers? Is my thinking along the right track, or am I wasting my time because regular image brightness numbers do not have correlation to how bright 3D image would be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 09-23-2013, 02:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I could of sworn I responded to tis already. Maybe I dreamed it.

Your thinking is pretty much correct. Man that Viewsonic seems like a light pumping monster by comparisons. For whatever reason, I have a perception from experience that ultra short throw projectors seem to be generally or at least have a higher perceived brightness in 3D. I have no technical information or reason for it though. They just seem to lose less light when in 3D.

Maybe just some odd effect from them being so close to the screen or something.
Reply 3D Displays

Tags
Acer H5360 3d Dlp Projector
Gear in this thread - H5360 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page