Looking to Upgrade (TV) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 12-04-2013, 08:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently received a hefty raise at work and am looking to upgrade my system, which currently includes:

Mitsubishi WD-60735 60-Inch 1080p DLP HDTV
Sony STR‑DN1030 AV network receiver
Energy 5.1 Take Classic Home Theater System

Primarily will use TV for playing PS4/Xbox One as well as 3D blu-rays, and would like a bigger size than I have now like perhaps in the 70-80" range. Projectors are currently out as my room setup does not work. I don't know if I should wait for the UltraHD sets or if there is a good choice now for my needs, but looking for any suggestions as the TV currently does not support 3D without an adapter I cannot find for less than $100, which I feel for an older set, I may get better results by simply selling the TV and buying a better one.

On a side note, does receiver affect 3D quality at all? The reason I ask is I recently purchased the Yamaha RX-V673 7.2-Channel Network AV Receiver, as it was a great price on BF, and I'm not sure if I should swap out the receivers or sell one. I am happy to do research, so don't think I am looking to be spoon fed, but I'm just not sure where to start since it seems UltraHD won't even be available until mid-2014 so I don't know if its worth it to wait or pick up something in the meantime. I'm sure people here have much more information than I do.

Appreciate any help. Thanks guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 12-04-2013, 03:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 49
If you like the mits then why not get one of the newer ones (although discontinued their still out there) at 73,82,or 93 all 3D ready. All the larger LCD's are edge lit and quite poor picture for gaming. The receiver as long as its 3D ready will not effect 3D.

Smart enough to know better, to old to care
post #3 of 3 Old 12-05-2013, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I hadn't really considered it since I hadn't thought much about DLP TVs. The one I have is from 2008, and it works OK, but I'm not feeling strongly about it one way or the other. I see there are a lot of used DLPs out there, so I will consider that.

I suppose I was more thinking if the UltraHD sets come out next year, I don't want to upgrade my set now only to want to upgrade again in 6 months. More of a speculative question if currently DLPs are the best for large, 3D, gaming sets.
Reply 3D Displays

Tags
Mitsubishi 60 Inch Wd 60735 Dlp Hdtv , Sony Strdn1030 Receiver , Energy 5 1 Take Classic Home Theater System , Yamaha Rx V673 Receiver , Playstation 4 Console
Gear in this thread - V673 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page