Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 265 Old 01-22-2014, 03:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by CARTmen View Post

What do you think about the screen size? How would you describe it? (big TV or a small cinema)

Very similar to my set up at home where i have an infocus x10 and sit or (or lay down) 8-10 feet away from a 100 inch screen. It is not a huge VR style field of vision, but I think most people who use home theatre would find it appropriate for movie viewing and game playing, The field of view is good, but the WOW factor comes from the form factor and lack of pixellation. Just as there is a difference in viewing an image projected onto a screen vs viewing a lighted display, there is a difference in viewing this device vs traditional displays. I sincerely doubt that anyone backing the kickstarter would be disappointed with the units they receive. Please also keep in mind that you are participating in the development of the technology. The glyph beta will be amazing - but the next step requires a lot of folks to use the device and give their input. Ed is assuring early adopters they will not be forgotten when Avegant rolls out the generation after this one - which, after taking all of our input, should be even better.

While few of them will read this post, my thanks to anyone who has ever posted stuff on the infocus x10 ( And similar thanks to anyone who posts stuff about other units) units. My X10 was overheating and needed a good cleaning and those posts and images helped me set it right!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 265 Old 01-22-2014, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff J View Post

Anyone have any idea how they are doing color reproduction?

The description states “Light from a low-powered LED mimics natural light…” I’m reading this as a single LED per eye. I wonder if there is any chance they are using discrete R,G,B LEDs.

Is there DLP color tech other than the color wheel? I wonder if this will be an issue for the rainbow sensitive.

There is no color wheel, the light source is 3 color LED (Pretty certain it has to be one per side to get a stereo image). When you don't need to light a 100 inch screen you can use LED's like that.
post #93 of 265 Old 01-22-2014, 04:54 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
FYI: The Kickstarter Live campaign reached their $250,000.00 pledge goals in less than half a day and there are 29 more days to go. 500 $499.00 Glyph special Kickstarter custom editions are all gone (sold out) with only the consumer's version still available - the Avegant Glyph Beta, in black, white & blue colors.
post #94 of 265 Old 01-22-2014, 07:30 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbitigger View Post

There is no color wheel, the light source is 3 color LED (Pretty certain it has to be one per side to get a stereo image). When you don't need to light a 100 inch screen you can use LED's like that.

thanks, is this based on your inside info or is this documented anywhere?

from the images of the prototype (like this one) each eye looks like an identical module flipped 180 degrees. with two separate imaging chips, there should be separate light sources.

I looked up some pico DLP teardown photos that show small 3 LED arrays. I'm just surprised they dont mention this in the info anywhere. and the use of 'a LED' is sort of confusing.

Anyway, with only one DLP chip per eye, it is sequential color regardless if it is 3 LEDs or one.
post #95 of 265 Old 01-23-2014, 01:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbitigger View Post

Very similar to my set up at home where i have an infocus x10 and sit or (or lay down) 8-10 feet away from a 100 inch screen. It is not a huge VR style field of vision, but I think most people who use home theatre would find it appropriate for movie viewing and game playing, The field of view is good, but the WOW factor comes from the form factor and lack of pixellation. Just as there is a difference in viewing an image projected onto a screen vs viewing a lighted display, there is a difference in viewing this device vs traditional displays. I sincerely doubt that anyone backing the kickstarter would be disappointed with the units they receive. Please also keep in mind that you are participating in the development of the technology. The glyph beta will be amazing - but the next step requires a lot of folks to use the device and give their input. Ed is assuring early adopters they will not be forgotten when Avegant rolls out the generation after this one - which, after taking all of our input, should be even better.

While few of them will read this post, my thanks to anyone who has ever posted stuff on the infocus x10 ( And similar thanks to anyone who posts stuff about other units) units. My X10 was overheating and needed a good cleaning and those posts and images helped me set it right!

Thanks for the answer. Maybe in the future they can make an unit with a bigger screen. (I really hope they do it)

post #96 of 265 Old 01-23-2014, 05:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Will be fun to se this evolve into a consumer product.. even netflix approved on it tongue.gif
post #97 of 265 Old 01-23-2014, 08:11 AM

Liked: 10
nearly at double the 250k, what else do you think they can add to this unit if money raised by kickstarter carries on like this?
was there a show event at avegant hq last night, any reviews out there?
post #98 of 265 Old 01-23-2014, 09:24 AM

Liked: 13
post #99 of 265 Old 01-23-2014, 09:36 AM

Quote:

thanks, is this based on your inside info or is this documented anywhere?

Both - somewhere in their descriptions they have talked about using tri color LED, and I asked Allan about if it used a color wheel or not. I don't ask any deeper questions - that way people can't torture me for information.
Jeff J likes this.
post #100 of 265 Old 01-23-2014, 10:36 AM

Feeling more and more hopeful over this. Compared to Oculus who have only showed prototypes so far, this seems more solid. Of course Avegant isn't doing the VR thing, but still.
post #101 of 265 Old 01-23-2014, 11:03 AM

personally, I'm not all that interested yet with the VR thing, head tracking on the glyph will suit me fine at this present moment. The gaming industry is in VR development like the rift and I feel it maybe 2-3 years before we see any real take off in VR gaming.
post #102 of 265 Old 01-23-2014, 11:11 AM

I think so too and Glyph or HMZ is enough for me at this stage.
post #103 of 265 Old 01-23-2014, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Vr is only for special intrested people im a console gamer so this n other video Hmds are what im after.
post #104 of 265 Old 01-23-2014, 12:12 PM

I've been looking for ages to find a decent priced hmz t1 or t2 on eebay and cheapest is about £350-£400, then last week found out about the glyph just in time for kickstarter !!!, just hope there no delays!!
post #105 of 265 Old 01-23-2014, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter

Glyph and HMZ have differences, like Glyph image appears to be better than Sony's but the screen size it simulates is much smaller than Sony's. The guys from Avegant said they weren't trying to compete with HMZ because their device is different from Sony's.
I know I'm annoying with the screen size, but the truth is that with their technology the next logical step should be, make a HMD for gamers with a big FOV and another for people who want it to see movies, with a giant screen but without increasing the FOV. 

post #106 of 265 Old 01-23-2014, 12:43 PM
Advanced Member

http://roadshow.avegant.com/

Looks like Avegant is doing demos in a few larger cities over the next few weeks. I just signed up for tickets to the Chicago one next Wednesday.

Really looking forward to seeing this - I'll post some first impressions. I dont have a lot of HMD experience, but did have a HMZ-T3 for about a week. I ended up returning it - had issues with a consistent focus across the image. Also, was not super impressed with overall PQ and comfort, but the focus issue was a deal breaker for me.
post #107 of 265 Old 01-23-2014, 12:45 PM

But you know what experience you get from HMZ regarding picture size. So it will be good to read your impressions.
post #108 of 265 Old 01-23-2014, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Looks like Avegant is doing demos in a few larger cities over the next few weeks. I just signed up for tickets to the Chicago one next Wednesday.

Really looking forward to seeing this - I'll post some first impressions. I dont have a lot of HMD experience, but did have a HMZ-T3 for about a week. I ended up returning it - had issues with a consistent focus across the image. Also, was not super impressed with overall PQ and comfort, but the focus issue was a deal breaker for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by andersos View Post

I think so too and Glyph or HMZ is enough for me at this stage.

Give us feedback try to look after how the black levels is on it.
post #109 of 265 Old 01-23-2014, 01:07 PM

I look forward to hearing other people's reaction to the Glyph. Its has developed a LOT from the early "cyberpunk" version. Perhaps I can find an excuse to make it to Seattle, otherwise it will likely be summer before I will catch up with Allan. If you are at all interested, try to get to one of the events. Just the experience of the screenless image is kind of neat.
post #110 of 265 Old 01-23-2014, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

If you could post here what you think of it compared to HMZ, after trying it, it would be awesome.

post #111 of 265 Old 01-23-2014, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Dont expect it to beat the hmz great blacks n pop colours. cool.gif
post #112 of 265 Old 01-23-2014, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaktmestern View Post

Dont expect it to beat the hmz great blacks n pop colours. cool.gif

They are just starting, and they said they don't want to compete with HMZ, but soon enough they will see that their target market is the same as HMZ, and will improve it to beat HMZ.

post #113 of 265 Old 01-23-2014, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARTmen View Post

They are just starting, and they said they don't want to compete with HMZ, but soon enough they will see that their target market is the same as HMZ, and will improve it to beat HMZ.

Seems more a easy to use unit than the hmz.. still puzzled why sony dont se they design is not optimal.
post #114 of 265 Old 01-23-2014, 02:41 PM

Whether avegant or sony like it or not, the glyph is more than dirext competition to the hmz range, price alone makes it exactly that, it only the hmz t3 that has nearly the same xonnectivity as the glyph. I would for go a smaller percieved screen size for a massive cash saving, and theres a good chance pq is better with the glyph
post #115 of 265 Old 01-23-2014, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gareth 1970 View Post

Whether avegant or sony like it or not, the glyph is more than dirext competition to the hmz range, price alone makes it exactly that, it only the hmz t3 that has nearly the same xonnectivity as the glyph. I would for go a smaller percieved screen size for a massive cash saving, and theres a good chance pq is better with the glyph

Passed on the Hmz-t3 but on 1-2 the picture was nice but the resolution did show its faults ...
post #116 of 265 Old 01-23-2014, 03:03 PM

Do you own both t1 and t2?
post #117 of 265 Old 01-23-2014, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gareth 1970 View Post

Do you own both t1 and t2?

I did sold them off. Only have the Smd 1080 left
post #118 of 265 Old 01-24-2014, 09:14 AM

The kickstarter slowed down smile.gif They need to announce some nice stretch goals.
post #119 of 265 Old 01-24-2014, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Perhaps promoting it more on av sites, its not well known n buzzed abt really.
post #120 of 265 Old 01-24-2014, 09:56 AM

I did a uk internet search yesterday and could find very little about the glyph, posted a thread with link to avegant on avforum but I agree not much knowledge of the glyph here in the uk considering London is one of the cities they are bringing it to
Reply 3D Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page