Glyph Avegant's Head Mounted Virtual Retinal Display - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 266 Old 12-23-2013, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 18

I started this thread to discuss the news about Glyph, that's going to be lunched in January at CES. 

This is some information of the web page of Avegant

Quote:

After years of development and research, Avegant is proud to release the beta consumer concept of the Virtual Retinal Display now called Glyph™.

The Glyph™ headset integrates a brilliant, vivid video display and premium audio experience in a unique flip-down form factor. Prototypes of the Glyph™ Beta are currently assembled and tested and will be featured at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas from January 7-10, 2014. Consumer units will be available by Kickstarter on January 22 for $499 and will ship later in the year.

Key to the innovative nature of Glyph™ is its optical engine called a Virtual Retinal Display. Using a low powered LED, a series of custom optics and a micromirror array, the visuals produced by the headset are crisper and brighter than those from conventional display technologies. This creates an environment perfect for media consumption from 3D movies to desktop environments to streamed television shows. Integrated head tracking allows for immersive, responsive gaming that is compatible with all of the latest consoles and games.

“We’ve created a premium media experience that people can use with music, movies and games on any device they already own, including their smart phone. Integrating high-end audio with the Glyph™ and packaging it into a forward-thinking design is critical to a great experience “said Allan Evans, CTO of Avegant.

“Avegant has made some great progress improving core technology that will make generalized virtual worlds possible,” added Phillip Rosedale, creator of Second Life.

Avegant plans to unveil Glyph™ Beta headsets to the public and media at CES on January 6. The headset will make its first public appearance at NBCUniversal cable network Syfy’s CES 2014 event “Who Will Take Your Brand Into the Future?”, part of VivaKi/Publicis Groupe’s “Bright Lights, Big Ideas” CES initiative.

Said Michael Engleman, EVP Marketing, Digital and Global Brand Strategy, Syfy, “We’re excited about featuring Avegant to debut the Glyph™ at our CES event.  It’s an extremely innovative product that perfectly demonstrates the next wave of how consumers, and more specifically our audience of Igniters, experience immersive entertainment.”

Media and public interested in demoing the Glyph™ at CES can register their interest at avegant.com/ces.

A Kickstarter campaign around Glyph™ will commence on January 22, 2014. The shipped version will have one HDMI/MHL cable, onboard battery power and a thinner, narrower display band than the Glyph™ Beta shown at CES. The presale price for Glyph™ will be set at $499 with ancillary incentives via the campaign

Avegant-Glyph-Black

If anybody knows any news about it post it here.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 266 Old 01-04-2014, 10:41 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

In addition to the superior image compared to other displays, optics are built-in (don't need to wear glasses).
http://www.roadtovr.com/ces-2014-new-avegant-glyph-infographics-emerge/

post #3 of 266 Old 01-05-2014, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter

Someone knows what kind of audio it simulates (5.1, 7.1, or another)?
And another doubt I have is, would it be possible to make the screen look bigger and further away, like an IMAX cinema? I read that the size is relative to each person, like in Sony HMZ, some people sees a big screen near and other sees a giant screen further away, like IMAX. 

post #4 of 266 Old 01-08-2014, 03:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Impressions from CES http://www.roadtovr.com/ces-2014-avegant-glyph-prototype-hands
Looks promising.
CARTmen likes this.
post #5 of 266 Old 01-09-2014, 07:41 AM

Anyone know how the perceived image size compares to sony hmz visors. I thought I read somewhere about a black frame around the image and an underwhelming experience. Sounded ominous. Specifically I am asking does the image from the glyph look smaller than Sony's HMD. Glyph looks much more comfortable.
post #6 of 266 Old 01-09-2014, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter

I theory the HMZ have a "bigger" screen than Glyph. I say in theory because if you read the HMZ thread you will people saying it looks like one IMAX screen far away and others saying that it looks like one small screen near. 

Here is a quote from HMZ-T3 thread:

Quote:
 I asked myself the same question when I got my HMZ-T1 and I came to the conclusion that when you watch 3D content it give yous 150 inch impression and when you watch 2D content you get the full 750 inch experience. Try it and you will see.

And this is from one of the reviews:

Quote:
Grant told me that image simulates an 80-inch screen sitting 8-feet away from your eyes

But what I've heard was that even if in theory they both have the same resolution, the technology that Glyph uses makes it's image sharper than the HMZ, in the HMZ image you can see the grid of pixels and in the Glyph the image is much more natural than the other. The image is usually described as the sensation of looking through a window. 

Both of them have the same angle of view, 45º, so the image size is relative.

To tell you the truth, I would like Glyph to have an image size like IMAX, that would be awesome. But maybe in HMZ you will no see a IMAX image and its heavier and a lot of people claims that its uncomfortable. HMZ costs double than Glyph in USA en almost 4 times more tan Glyph in Europe, so when the moment arrive I think I will chose Glyph.

(My opinion and the information I wrote was from reading it online, I haven´t tried any of them)  

post #7 of 266 Old 01-10-2014, 08:24 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 17
post #8 of 266 Old 01-10-2014, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter

It doesn't work for people with astigmatism, it's on their facebook page

post #9 of 266 Old 01-11-2014, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter

These guys have a lot of ideas. I'm sure Glyph will be great. And another of the great things they have is that they are open to new ideas from the users, not like some of the big companies. 

This are some of the Ideas they have:

Quote:
 There are several things we are exploring including optional black out covers, partial fovial overlap and freezing the frame in space and using head tracking to look around the scene. We hope to implement (or at least publish) on what we find works.
post #10 of 266 Old 01-11-2014, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARTmen View Post

I theory the HMZ have a "bigger" screen than Glyph. I say in theory because if you read the HMZ thread you will people saying it looks like one IMAX screen far away and others saying that it looks like one small screen near. 
Here is a quote from HMZ-T3 thread:

And this is from one of the reviews:

But what I've heard was that even if in theory they both have the same resolution, the technology that Glyph uses makes it's image sharper than the HMZ, in the HMZ image you can see the grid of pixels and in the Glyph the image is much more natural than the other. The image is usually described as the sensation of looking through a window. 

Both of them have the same angle of view, 45º, so the image size is relative.

To tell you the truth, I would like Glyph to have an image size like IMAX, that would be awesome. But maybe in HMZ you will no see a IMAX image and its heavier and a lot of people claims that its uncomfortable. HMZ costs double than Glyph in USA en almost 4 times more tan Glyph in Europe, so when the moment arrive I think I will chose Glyph.

(My opinion and the information I wrote was from reading it online, I haven´t tried any of them)  

I thought that because the Glyph has the same 45º fov as the HMZ the perceived picture size would be the same. For me the picture looks about the same size when I sit in the middle of a real cinema as when I use HMZ.
I would want the same experience from the Glyph.
post #11 of 266 Old 01-11-2014, 09:46 PM

I perceived hmz image to be around 150 inches from 4-5 meters away. 3d gaming on pc, where you can push some serious 3d depth and convergence, feels sometimes like 50inch tv 1-1.5 meters away from you. I am definitely interested in this product and will be buying. Im really happy with my modified hmz-t1(ski-goggles), even bought another one for backup, if one breaks. Still, ready to sell those if better comes along. This has a lot of promise for sure.
post #12 of 266 Old 01-12-2014, 04:07 AM

Well the display tech alone might be worth backing in the Kickstarter. Even if this first version of the Glyph wouldn't be 100% there yet for movie viewing they have some interesting core tech. But then the audio will have to be good for the price.
post #13 of 266 Old 01-12-2014, 07:40 AM

Only thing I dislike is I cannot use my own headphones that I'm comfortable with.

post #14 of 266 Old 01-12-2014, 10:21 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by enthralled View Post

Only thing I dislike is I cannot use my own headphones that I'm comfortable with.
The one thing I've learned about display headsets with headphones, from going from the Sony T1 to a T3, is discovering I was greatly missing the plug & play convenience of just putting them on.tongue.gif The ease and portability of an all-in-one unit IMO, is highly regarded. wink.gif That being said, I am especially hoping the headphones reproduce good quality sound.
post #15 of 266 Old 01-13-2014, 05:15 AM

post #16 of 266 Old 01-13-2014, 05:47 AM - Thread Starter

I asked them about the image size compared with HMZ. I also asked if it was possible to increase the screen size without increasing the FOV, with the technology they use. I'm waiting for the answers, and then I post them here. 

post #17 of 266 Old 01-14-2014, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=gXglj9Sx9-M

This is the last review. For what I understood the screen is very small.

post #18 of 266 Old 01-17-2014, 06:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARTmen View Post

I asked them about the image size compared with HMZ. I also asked if it was possible to increase the screen size without increasing the FOV, with the technology they use. I'm waiting for the answers, and then I post them here. 

This is the answer they gave me.

Quote:
There are ways to increase the perception of the screen size including the use of head tracking to hold the screen in place and also using covers to black out peripheral vision. 

I have used the HMZ. The screen appears to be a very similar size
post #19 of 266 Old 01-17-2014, 07:54 AM

Good, will be a very interesting kickstarter. It would be very helpful for Avegant if they could get a professional preview comparing Glyph to HMZ published before kickstarter starts.
post #20 of 266 Old 01-17-2014, 09:13 AM

post #21 of 266 Old 01-17-2014, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

some photos of the new model. 

Avegant Beta Renderings - Video mode - 600

Avegant Beta Renderings - Color Options - 600

post #22 of 266 Old 01-19-2014, 03:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Intresting product seems like a handy unit.

Would love to read more abt the black levels on the device.
post #23 of 266 Old 01-19-2014, 01:29 PM

Just got a news e-mail from Avegant. They will demo the Glyph at two locations at the start of the kickstarter campaign.
Quote:
Showcasing the Glyph in Person
Because so many of you are curious about the picture quality and experience of the Glyph we're hosting a couple of happy hours to show off the tech.

The first will be in Ann Arbor on the 22nd to coincide with the Kickstarter launch day. Two days later we'll be at the Online Publisher's Association meeting in Miami so we'll get another happy hour together on the 24th.

Details on those two events are as follows:
Date: January 22nd, 5-8PM
Address: 210 E. Huron St, top floor

Date: January 24th, 6-8PM
Address: 1035 N. Miami Ave.
post #24 of 266 Old 01-20-2014, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Not much news abt what sound formats it supports cool.gif
post #25 of 266 Old 01-20-2014, 10:32 AM

post #26 of 266 Old 01-20-2014, 11:24 AM

This product looks and sounds great if everything I have read is to be believed, anyone any idea of the weight in comparison to the HMZs' At price I will be investing via the Kickstarter, you cannot even buy a used HMZ T1 for that sort of money. The idea behind the tech sounds solid, I'm sure the sound will be good and well tested. I would mainly be using this for ps3 gaming and agree with others about percieved image size, it got to be decent but what size do you all call a 'good size', bigger the better?, what would you be expecting? Who's investing out there and what are your main uses for this devices going to be?
post #27 of 266 Old 01-20-2014, 11:30 AM

Yes the display tech seems fantastic. But not sure yet if I'll back it. First I need to know if perceived image size is same as with HMZ.
I would use it for all my gaming and to watch Blu-ray movies.
post #28 of 266 Old 01-20-2014, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gareth 1970 View Post

This product looks and sounds great if everything I have read is to be believed, anyone any idea of the weight in comparison to the HMZs' At price I will be investing via the Kickstarter, you cannot even buy a used HMZ T1 for that sort of money. The idea behind the tech sounds solid, I'm sure the sound will be good and well tested. I would mainly be using this for ps3 gaming and agree with others about percieved image size, it got to be decent but what size do you all call a 'good size', bigger the better?, what would you be expecting? Who's investing out there and what are your main uses for this devices going to be?

The truth is that I would like to percieve an image IMAX size because I'm using it to see movies, so I would have to tell that for me "the bigger the better". If it cant be giant, at least I would like to have a screen size I can't fit at my home (bigger than my 150' projector).

post #29 of 266 Old 01-20-2014, 01:02 PM

Cartmen, Have you used the hmz? Different people seem to have different views on the size of the images via that device, whats your opinion?
post #30 of 266 Old 01-21-2014, 05:52 AM

This was posted over at the crowdfunding forum regarding picture size. Seems good to me.

Reply 3D Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page