Samsung Glasses-Free 3D at CES 2014 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-09-2014, 12:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 670

Another glasses-free 3D TV at CES is in the Samsung booth. The demonstrator didn't know what technology it uses, but I suspect it isn't Dolby 3D, because I was told the resolution for each eye was only 720p. Of course, it could be Dolby 3D, but without 1080p per eye, Samsung would be prohibited from using the Dolby name.

This is the third year Samsung as shown an autostereoscopic display. Last year, it had nine viewing zones; this year, it has 35. The transitions between zones were pretty smooth, but not as smooth as the best I've seen.

The Samsung glasses-free 3D demo included footage from a native 3D title called Food Fight, in which people throw food at the audience and each other. Super cheesy!

Return to CES Master Post

Like AVS Forum on Facebook

Follow AVS Forum on Twitter

+1 AVS Forum on Google+

Scott Wilkinson
AVS Editor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-10-2014, 07:57 AM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 538 Post(s)
Liked: 1601

I also saw that display, and I concur—the technology Samsung showed is improved, but not at the head of the pack. However, it is clear that glasses-free 3D is a viable technology that can only get better.

Find out more about Mark Henninger at www.imagicdigital.com
post #3 of 6 Old 01-16-2014, 05:08 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post

I also saw that display, and I concur—the technology Samsung showed is improved, but not at the head of the pack. However, it is clear that glasses-free 3D is a viable technology that can only get better.

Is this something that will be available in a converter box or only built into expensive TVs? What is the best (most natural looking) 2D- 3D conversion system available as a converter box for 1080P TV? What was best 3D of the show (with or without glasses)?
post #4 of 6 Old 01-17-2014, 06:06 AM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 538 Post(s)
Liked: 1601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomcreek View Post

Is this something that will be available in a converter box or only built into expensive TVs? What is the best (most natural looking) 2D- 3D conversion system available as a converter box for 1080P TV? What was best 3D of the show (with or without glasses)?

Glasses-free TV will always need to be built into a TV.

I'll go out on a limb and say that a UHD OLED with active 3D could be the best-looking overall. Ultra-D had the best glasses-free system, followed by Dolby 3D. Samsung's worked but it comes in third.

Find out more about Mark Henninger at www.imagicdigital.com
post #5 of 6 Old 01-19-2014, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post

Glasses-free TV will always need to be built into a TV.

I'll go out on a limb and say that a UHD OLED with active 3D could be the best-looking overall. Ultra-D had the best glasses-free system, followed by Dolby 3D. Samsung's worked but it comes in third.

That answer begs the question: Who had the best looking 3D at the show -- glasses or glasses-free? I would assume it was a T.V. with either passive or active glasses, which would mean there's better 3D out there than glasses-free 3D. Am I right or wrong? I was hoping Ultra-D would steal the show, but I guess I was wrong.
post #6 of 6 Old 01-21-2014, 04:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Have any of the makers of the proposed glasses-free technologies given any estimates of how much these sets will cost when they finally come to market?
Reply 3D Displays

Tags
Ces 2014

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page