Buyers remorse, or, Should I swap my Vizio for a Samsung? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 06-03-2014, 01:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15

The main question to the whole is this: is 2D to 3D conversion worth it if you like 3D?  There's a much longer, rambling version below:

I bought an M series 70" Vizio just over three weeks ago,  You know, there are some things you just can't tell until you get a set home, hooked up and you watch something in the comfort of your own home.  You can guess, but not know, at least, when it's your first venture into the field, if it will be too big, you're too close for 3D to work, etc.   

The 70" is not too big for my viewing setup, but a 65" wouldn't be too small either - especially depending on the mount used. 

One thing I did not do - and I can partly blame/excuse it to my ongoing chronic pain and fatigue issues - is take in 2D content on a flash drive - and see what it looked like.  Now, after three weeks of watching the same 2D I had been watching, I can't help but wonder if I am missing out - or completely misunderstanding its powers - of the ability to convert 2D to 3D.   

I admit I go through phases where I watch marathons of one series over and over - comfort viewing, if you'd like (and when it''s 365+ eps. it's much easier to dp than when it's only 24) - but none of it is in 3D.  The little bit of 3D I've checked out, I've liked, but I'm in a down period and haven't felt like watching any of it.  So, to get to and maybe expand on the question at the beginning of the post: Are sets capable of converting 2D to 3D worth it?  If, since I'm watching most stuff off a computer connected to my 3D Vizio, are there simple alternatives such as plugins or programs I can use to get the same results for 2D content while keeping the 3D set for real 3D material?

One thing driving this question at this time (specifically this hour of night is my painkillers helping with the pain more than after a nights worth of sleep)  is I'm seeing 65" Samsungs for a couple of hundred dollars cheaper and theyr're full 3D and am just wondering if I made a mistake.  I bought at Costco, so it's not like I only have a few days left to return the V - but maybe get the  Samsung,

Well, the pk's have worn off a fair amount since I started and the sleeping aids have kicked in, so, apologies if this a bigger mess than I'm thinking at time of posting. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-03-2014, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 140
You'll definitely like the active 3D format better, but that's only if you can find a TV that doesn't have unacceptable levels of crosstalk. None of the 2D to 3D converting sets I've tried (plasma, LCD, DLP) produced a consistently convincing illusion of depth, and none of them was able to simulate the "pop-out" effect. The best such set was a Samsung plasma: the now-discontinued PN51D550. The simulated 3D created fairly convincing effects, but it only worked with some content (mostly sports), and then only in scenes shot at certain specific angles. It was virtually useless for movies, so after a few months I stopped using it. True 3D content looked great, with just traces of crosstalk visible in some scenes. I found the LCDs to have the least effective 2D to 3D conversion; unfortunately, all of the active 3D sets suffered from some degree of crosstalk, and I didn't like the lower 3D resolution of the passive sets.

Last year I looked at active 3D Samsung LCDs again, and found that the amount of crosstalk varied widely across product lines. I would strongly recommend taking content on a USB drive into the store to test out the models you're interested in. If that is not possible, then you definitely want to try out whichever set you purchase using the most demanding 3D material you can find (I've read where certain scenes in the movie "Hugo" are excellent for revealing a set's propensity for crosstalk).
post #3 of 6 Old 06-04-2014, 03:46 AM - Thread Starter

Added comments: A DVD player that does 2D to 3D conversion, would that be the same as having the set with the feature as far as having the same content?

So 2D to 3D 'conversion' is probably much more a fantasy than reality for me, especially since my interests lie in animation/regular TV, ie., things that aren't normally available in 3D anyway?  Okay, I always suspected I read too much of what I wanted into the description.  However, if I get a good day and the right situations, I may still give it a shot. I learned the wrong way what formats the Vizio will read, so I'll look it up before I go out.  Unless anyone wants to answer here?

What formats will the Samsungs not play and can you select subtitles if embedded in the video and not a separate file?  I learned the Viz's will play .mkv renamed to .mp4 but no subtitle option exists - and I don't speak Japanese.

post #4 of 6 Old 06-14-2014, 11:11 PM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon665 View Post
The main question to the whole is this: is 2D to 3D conversion worth it if you like 3D?   
FWIW, I tried 2D to 3D conversion a couple of times and it always gave me a headache, literally. I used Sony S590 for the conversion and the resulting image always seemed distorted in some way. Perhaps the technology has gotten better but I haven't had good experience with it.
post #5 of 6 Old 06-15-2014, 04:19 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon665 View Post
The main question to the whole is this: is 2D to 3D conversion worth it if you like 3D?
Of coarse not! Electronic conversions arbitrarily make 3D placement with set algorithms. It is only a gimmick. It is not meant to compete with professional Hollywood conversions that incorporate human artistic purposeful choices akin to artistic paintings and 3D creations.

Last edited by Paul H; 06-15-2014 at 04:25 PM.
post #6 of 6 Old 06-20-2014, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
Of coarse not! Electronic conversions arbitrarily make 3D placement with set algorithms. It is only a gimmick. It is not meant to compete with professional Hollywood conversions that incorporate human artistic purposeful choices akin to artistic paintings and 3D creations.
What I was trying to ask is if my TV does not have 2D->3D but my BR player does, is expecting relatively the same level of performance to the conversion process as having a BR player without 2D->3D conversion but a TV that did, be a fair assessment? I don't expect the same level of 3D if it were originally 3D, but there is a tone of stuff that is never going to be 3D - and to be fair, I don't even know if it's something I would like. But I do have two months left to return my Vizio ....

And after a week of being without a computer, it appears I have slayed that dragon - and am in drastic need of 'power-ups."
Reply 3D Displays
Gear in this thread - S590 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page