AVS Forum banner

Passive Filters for 3LCD need help

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  wnielsenbb 
#1 ·
Hi

I currently have a Sanyo PLV-Z3000, it's a great projector and I love it.
I have wanted to try out a passive 3D setup for a while now, but have not had the opportunity until I got my hands on 2 NEC NP3250W, the softrware from NEC that allows the 2 units to align seamlessly is a huge bonus and made that part of the setup fantastic to deal with. It also makes for a total of 10,000 lumens which should mean plenty of brightness even after adding filters.
I also have a silver screen from Carl on the way so I'm pretty sure I'm sorted out on the screen side.

My goal is to get a passive 3D set up using the two projectors, and being able to wear the realD glasses that you get in the theater. I have been trying to get a handle on the linear vs circular polarization issue and what it means for DLP vs 3LCD projectors but it's honestly a little confusing.

Can anyone tell me what I should be using for filters on the projectors, I've read half (quarter) wave plates coupled with linear filters but I'm unsure.

Thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
you should probably read
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...ction-system-practical-discussion-thread.html

unless you want to invest in a passive screen you need something like the omega 3d system. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Omega-Depth...972?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2334e76bac

That is a pretty cheap way to test things out. Hook it up to a PC, download tri-def drivers or some such thing, fire up world of warcraft in 3D.

To do it right of course you also need a 3D splitter box to separate left and right signals for the two projectors. Then you can hook your 3d bluray player. You probably want a 3d amplifier, but better 3D players have dual outputs so one can go to the splitter and one to the amp.

If you want polarized instead of the omega system, you will also need a passive screen, spar filters. forget circular polarized. go linear like iMax does. You need to get some linear glasses and see if your projector has one color polarized different from the others. This will tell you what spar filters to get.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.