3d on Benq W1070 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 07-19-2014, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
3d on Benq W1070

Maybe just looking for confirmation, but, if you've got a solution, even better.

Have the following set-up:

Lenovo Q190 PC (Intel HD Graphics)
HDMI out to Yamaha 3d Receiver
Trying to play and watch 3d Blu-Ray discs with PowerDVD Ultra 14
on Benq W1070 with DLP-Link glasses

My Problem:

It seems that PowerDVD Ultra 14 simply doesn't output something that will work with DLP-Link glasses for watching 3D Blu-Rays on the W1070

I CAN watch SBS 3D successfully (projector is doing the heavy lifting on that, so no problem)

Any thoughts, solutions or confirmation?

Thanks.

BTW - 3D is excellent on the W1070 when playing a 3D Blu-Ray on my dedicated Saachi 3D Blu-Ray player and not through the Q190 HTPC.

Last edited by oraham; 07-19-2014 at 11:16 AM. Reason: Needed to clarify that 3D is working in other circumstances.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-19-2014, 09:00 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 43
The issue is whether the Lemovo Q190 PC is sending a standard frame-packed 3D signal via HDMI. (It is the job of the projector to synch the glasses. All the pc needs to do is to send a standard frame-packed 3D signal.)

Assuming the pc's graphics are capable of sending a frame-packed 3D signal, and assuming the 3D settings for the PowerDVD Ultra 14 software are correct, the Lemovo will be looking for confirmation that what it is about to send a signal to is 3D frame-packing capable. Having an AVR in the signal path can interfere with that confirmation process.

I would suggest you connect the W1070 directly to the Lemovo HDMI output and see whether you can get frame-packed 3D to work. If it does, you could then try with the AVR in the signal path. You may find you need to have the W1070 operating and connected to the AVR before you try to play a 3D disc with the Lemovo, or even before you switch the Lemovo on.

(I am assuming here that the Lemovo is intended for use as a 3D player.)
post #3 of 8 Old 07-20-2014, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you very much for the reply, and no doubt that are correct, as far as it goes.

However, the problem in my specific configuration seems to be how the software is outputting information.

Here is what I could find online about the issue; specifically a response from a Cyberlink customer service rep to a similar question:

"Hello,

currently the 3DLP ready output you refer to is not supported by PowerDVD.

Please understand that we constantly work to improve the support for different 3D technologies but that we can also not promise when a specific feature will be supported.

thanks for your understanding
Michael"

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/13051.page

This was from 2010 and is about an earlier version of PowerDVD (I am using PowerDVD Ultra 14).

So, was just wondering if I am correct in my assumption that there is still an issue with my version and also hoping someone might have another suggestion; for example, another 3D Blu-Ray software player that WILL do what I need it to do?

Thanks again

Last edited by oraham; 07-20-2014 at 11:55 AM. Reason: General edit.
post #4 of 8 Old 07-20-2014, 05:28 PM

I have PowerDVD 10, and it can output 3D in the required configuration to drive my W1070 (and other 3D display devices).

The configuration you need is not peculiar to DLP projectors. You simply need standard, frame-packed, 3D. (The W1070 projector uses a standard 3D input, the same as a regular plasma or LCD 3D television. It does not rely on a 120Hz input for 3D.)

The required standard signal is described in the 3D settings of my version of PowerDVD as "HDMI 1.4 enabled 3D TV (1080P 24Hz)". However the auto-detect setting should work especially if there is no impediment to exchange of data with the projector so that the projector can signal that it is HDMI 1.4 capable to the AVR (or directly to the Lenovo).

(I am assuming the graphics in your Lenovo Q190 are HDMI 1.4 capable.)
post #5 of 8 Old 07-21-2014, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply, MLXXX.

I set my graphics on the Lenovo Q190 to 1080p 24Hz. The graphics are Intel HD, with 3D selected.

I then set PowerDVD Ultra 14 to "HDMI 1.4 enabled 3d TV (1080P 24Hz)".

PowerDVD seemed to allow me to select this, but then gave an error message about how the system or the material was not compatible with it.

I did manage to get things closer, when, as I remember, I selected "3D" on the W1070 remote and selected "Frame Packing". "Frame Sequential" was greyed out.

However, although this gave me some 3D, the picture was overlapped and unwatchable.

So, because you and I are using the same projector and the same software, the odd variable is the graphic chipset. Are you using an nVidia chipset/graphic adapter?

For what it's worth, all is being passed through my Yamaha RX V675 receiver.

Of course, I can forget all about this and simply watch 3D content using the outboard 3D Blu-Ray player, but it is something that is stumping me.
post #6 of 8 Old 07-21-2014, 05:05 PM

Hi oraham,

I see that PowerDVD 14 is specified to require the following hardware for 3D:
  • Supported Graphic Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 and AMD Radeon HD 6800 series or above
  • Integrated Graphics: 2nd generation Intel Core processors or above

As regards the pc desktop resolution, it doesn't actually need to be manually changed to 24Hz; it can be left at 60Hz. If things are working correctly, the player software will take over and force the graphics into 24Hz frame-packed 3D mode, once the player senses there is a 1.4 capable 3D device connected to the pc and there is a 3D source being played.

The troubleshooting I would suggest is to connect directly from the pc to the projector to test whether you can get 3D frame-packed from the pc. If you succeed with that, having the AVR in the signal path should also work but you may need to switch the devices on in a particular sequence. (I think I've run out of suggestions.) Good luck.
post #7 of 8 Old 07-21-2014, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, MLXXX,

I appreciate the help, and it does help me narrow down my issue.

Does anyone know whether WinDVD Pro's latest version would work? I have WinDVD Pro 2010, but it won't run on Windows 8.1.

How about any other software?

Thanks
post #8 of 8 Old 07-29-2014, 12:14 AM

Liked: 0
think so,the player software will take over and force the graphics into 24Hz frame-packed 3D mode, once the player senses there is a 1.4 capable 3D device connected to the pc and there is a 3D source being played.[IMG]http://*******/prvoPz[/IMG]thanks
Reply 3D Displays

Tags
dlp-link , powerdvd ultra , q190 , w1070
Gear in this thread - q190 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page