Forum Jump: 

Old 07-21-2014, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
LG 47LM5850 working erratically

Hello,

I have had the LG 47LM5850 TV, and included BP420B blu-ray player, for over a year now and everything has been working great.

A couple days ago I was attempting to switch the 3D on (SBS) from the remote and nothing would happen. I also noticed that I can no longer switch to operate the BD player. The power button, input, volume, cursor keys seem to work fine. The settings and energy saving button work erratically, such as I press the energy savings buttons and the settings come up - it varies. The 3D button doesn't seem to work at all, neither does the return button (curved arrow).

Changing batteries does nothing.

This seems to be a remote problem rather than a TV IR receiver problem. The model number of the LG remote is AKB73615379.

I also have a Yamaha RX-V475 receiver, and the remote is somewhat universal. It allows me to control the BP420B, cable box, and the TV. For the TV is only for basic controls such as volume, channels, power, and mute. Controlling the TV from the yamaha remote still works fine.

Back to the LG remote, about 2-3 months there was a bit o battery leakage, nothing major, I was able to clean it out and the remote worked fine. This remote is also often on the couch or between pillows so there is a chance that buttons where pressed accidentally (could be that a certain sequence messed things up). There may also have been falls onto laminate floor or carpet, no greater than 2 feet, again nothing major (there are no scratches or cracks on the remote).

So here are my options:
1) attempt to fix the LG remote. Is there a reset key sequence that could be attempted? Could I clean the remote inside? It seems to be a pain in the rear to open since there are no screws. Anyone attempted this before?

2) Could attempt to configure the yamaha remote, would have to setup the TV as a playback device, which would make operation convoluted.

3) Buy a replacement remote perhaps from a shady website, and I may get lucky or not. Searching for the above remote (model number) on lg.com returns nothing.

4) Spend a bit more money and buy a good universal remote such as the Logitech Harmony. Looking at the 650 and the Smart Control. Anyone has experience using these with the 47LM5850 and BP420B. How is the 3D control?

Thanks!