1Likes
  • 1 Post By Roussi

post #1 of 3 Old 08-05-2014, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Noob With 3D Question

Hello folks, I am new to the world of 3D and need some (a lot) of help. I'm trying to set up a nice home theater that's 3D capable but I'm more than a little confused. My system mainly consists of an older LCD Vizio TV (VF550M) which is 120Hz, full HD 1080P and specs say comb filter is 3D digital. Receiver/Amp is an Onkyo TX-NR818 w/3D passthrough and the HTPC I'll be connecting to it I built myself and has a blu ray player. Like I said, I know absolutely nothing about 3D, and I get a different answer from everyone I talk to about how to get this system to play 3D content. Someone said I'll need a 3D transmitter, but do I have to get a certain type/brand? Same with the glasses. I'm here on this forum to get the facts straight from people who actually know what they're talking about. Can someone please point me in the right direction? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 08-06-2014, 10:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 23
The TV is not 3D capable (it does not accept video signal with 120 Hz refresh rate, although the screen refresh rate is 120 Hz; and does not support HDMI 1.4 3D).

If you get a 3D capable display device, the other required components are 3D capable graphics hardware on the HTPC (including integrated, e.g. Intel i3-xxxx, or separate card, e.g. AMD HD 6450) and a 3D capable player application (e.g. PowerDVD, TotalMedia Theater, WinDVD, etc.).
old corps likes this.
post #3 of 3 Old 09-18-2014, 07:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 54
If you want to go with passive 3D get an M series Vizio, LAST years model. They are 3D and can me found on the internet with a little searching. They come in sizes all the way up to 80 inch. I would get a 3D blu ray player and DirecTV has some 3D content. The Onkyo will work great 3D or not. Anyway what ever you plan on doing do it quick as I am betting 3D is not going to be around that much long, Vizio for one no longer markets there set with 3D. I had a lot of fun in working out a few problems with a 2 display system, got it working and just do not use 3D but 4 or 5 times in the last 3 years.
Reply 3D Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page