Forum Jump: 

Old 10-20-2014, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is IPS important for good 3d??

I'm thinking of getting the LG LB 6500 50" 3d tv

The specs say every tv in this line up (47', 55') are IPS panels except the 50" ???
Does anybody know why this is and what will the big difference be??

I am mainly buying this for a second 3d tv to put in bedroom and this model fits my budget.
Do you need a IPS to display good 3d?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2014, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 53
I would say not. IPS has better color, especially at angles to the screen, but you really wouldn't watch 3D from an off-angle anyway, so it's not much of a dealbreaker, IMO.

Welcome to Rivendell, Mister Anderson.
Old 12-18-2014, 12:18 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Can someone educate me? What is IPS and how can I find out if the Samsung 50" H6400 set has it? By the way, the Samsung 50" from the H6400 series is a Smart/3D TV set. Thanks.
Old 12-19-2014, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by orestesdd View Post
Can someone educate me? What is IPS and how can I find out if the Samsung 50" H6400 set has it? By the way, the Samsung 50" from the H6400 series is a Smart/3D TV set. Thanks.
The main LCD display technologies in use are IPS and VA. All you really need to know is that IPS generally has better off-axis PQ but has poor black level and contrast compared to VA (VA contrast=3000, IPS contrast=1000).

AFAIK, Samsung only use VA and LG IPS.

Most IPS are used for passive 3D whilst VA for active 3D, however Sony were using some VA for passive 3D in their top of the line models.

Passive 3D is less susceptible to crosstalk and is less tiring on the eyes because it doesn't keep alternating left and right eye views, but it generally loses half the vertical resolution as both left and right eye views are displayed at the same time on the screen, interlaced (glasses are passive and cheap). Active 3D is more susceptible to crosstalk and because it switches left and right eye views can create a perception of flicker which can be tiring if not generating headaches, but generally supports full vertical resolution (glasses are active and expensive requiring a power supply).

The question you are asking is really whether passive 3D (generally IPS) creates a better 3D result than active 3D (generally VA). There are pros and cons of each: I think only you can make that determination based on observation.

Sony did create a full resolution VA passive 3D TV in the 65X9000A model that was supposed to be spectacular, but the passive technology does not support full resolution on smaller screens although it can still look very good.

Hopefully in the not too distant future, glassless 3D will incorporate the best features of each technology.
Old 12-19-2014, 07:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 59
What about a passive 4k display that is 1080p per eye, or is that different altogether?

This line intentionally left blank.
Old 12-19-2014, 08:00 AM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanD View Post
The main LCD display technologies in use are IPS and VA. All you really need to know is that IPS generally has better off-axis PQ but has poor black level and contrast compared to VA (VA contrast=3000, IPS contrast=1000).

AFAIK, Samsung only use VA and LG IPS.

Most IPS are used for passive 3D whilst VA for active 3D, however Sony were using some VA for passive 3D in their top of the line models.

Passive 3D is less susceptible to crosstalk and is less tiring on the eyes because it doesn't keep alternating left and right eye views, but it generally loses half the vertical resolution as both left and right eye views are displayed at the same time on the screen, interlaced (glasses are passive and cheap). Active 3D is more susceptible to crosstalk and because it switches left and right eye views can create a perception of flicker which can be tiring if not generating headaches, but generally supports full vertical resolution (glasses are active and expensive requiring a power supply).

The question you are asking is really whether passive 3D (generally IPS) creates a better 3D result than active 3D (generally VA). There are pros and cons of each: I think only you can make that determination based on observation.

Sony did create a full resolution VA passive 3D TV in the 65X9000A model that was supposed to be spectacular, but the passive technology does not support full resolution on smaller screens although it can still look very good.

Hopefully in the not too distant future, glassless 3D will incorporate the best features of each technology.
Thank you very much for clarifying this. Thus, can I safely assume that my new purchase, a 2014 Samsung UN50H6400AFXZA TV set, uses a VA panel? How can I obtain the information like this? From its Owner's MANUAL? Besides, when not using 3D, does VA offer better or worse picture than IPS? if so, how?

From the this youtube video:

The video above seems to indicate that IPS is better than VA. I wonder if I bought the wrong type of TV panel. Again thanks.

Last edited by orestesdd; 12-19-2014 at 08:10 AM. Reason: To add more info...
Old 12-19-2014, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtastic View Post
What about a passive 4k display that is 1080p per eye, or is that different altogether?
Sony had difficulty making a passive 3D 4k display in screen sizes less than 65" able to display 1080p per eye: it's something to do with the height of the pixels and the polariser strips becoming so small that changes in the vertical viewing angle permit light from the alternate eye pixels to start to become visible, creating crosstalk issues. Screen sizes above 65" have higher pixels and thus can just accommodate passive 3D without introducing significant crosstalk. As the pixel sizes get smaller in smaller screen sizes, crosstalk increases and so the FPR (polarising strips) from 1080p TVs is used to minimise the effect (but at the cost of halving the passive 3D vertical resolution).

In theory, a 4k TV should be able to display passive 3D with full 1080p resolution to each eye, but unfortunately physical limitations of the passive 3D method being used means that it is not always that simple.

There are different elements to this discussion: how passive and active 3D works and the pros and cons, LCD technology (IPS and VA) currently being used and their pros and cons, impact of screen size on 3D and which combination gives the best results. If there were both passive and active 3D TVs produced with both IPS and VA panels, it might be easier to choose the best performing TVs, however generally in the 3D market right now passive is limited to IPS and active to VA. Unfortunately I can't shed any light on which may be better.
Old 12-19-2014, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orestesdd View Post
Thus, can I safely assume that my new purchase, a 2014 Samsung UN50H6400AFXZA TV set, uses a VA panel?
I don't think anything can be safely assumed in this world and my comments are based on my understanding, which could be mistaken.

I suggest you look at http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/category/reviews to get their opinions on a number of TVs currently available. Although they review UK models, I believe generally there is broad commonality across the globe within each model (although that is not guaranteed in each case). Each review generally identifies the LCD technology being used.

VA generally bests IPS for black level and contrast, but at the expense of narrower viewing angles. IPS can compensate a little by incorporating dynamic backlight control, but it has its own issues. Unfortunately if you prefer passive 3D, I don't think there are any models currently available that match VA with passive 3D, so your choices are limited. Similarly you will be disappointed if you want active 3D but prefer the wider angle of view of IPS.

There is ongoing development with LCD technology that is helping narrow the gap between the capabilities of IPS and VA. OLED (IMO) offers the potential for the best of all worlds, but is so new it still has substantial issues to resolve.

It's likely the Samsung H6400 has a VA panel, but that isn't the be-all and end-all: some manufacturers models are halving the vertical resolution on active 3D with VA panels even though the technology supports full 1080p resolution per eye. The reviews generally make it clear which models are prone to this effect and are really the best comparative guide when choosing a TV, along with the forums on specific models from user perspectives.
Old 12-19-2014, 07:51 PM

So is there any way to obtain the pane type info from Samsung directly? Any tech manual? I don't think the owner's manual will tell me. Thank you for all that great explanation.