3D just went away! - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #1 of 7 Unread 04-01-2015, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
3D just went away!

There are many things in the tech world that mess with us, I'm a computer tech and have had my fair share. But this thing is going to drive me!
I've got a home theater setup as many of us do... comprised of: A Panasonic TC-L55E60 3D HDTV, A PC/Server I built provides input and storage, an xbox and a PS3... an OTA antennae so pretty simple.
This setup has been running quite well and specifically the 3D has been a real blast. So the other evening we had a movie night and the 3D just would not work. It's worked many a time before and I have been unable to suss it out.
Now, this is a 3D movie rip I've done myself as I hate relying on the PS3 constantly. So the movie is on the PC and I play it/them using Power DVD 13. Power DVD can be a bit of a twitchy little freak at times so initially I thought it was the problem but I've tried 6 ways from Sunday and then some. No 3D ... none. SBS or OU it does not matter. Also tried other 3D movies from both the PC and Blue-rays from the PS3. No go ... the movie plays but it's definitely not in 3D... driving me bug nutty!

So my question becomes this... is it possible for some 3D switch in the TV itself that's messed up!?? And of course any other ideas you good folks have would be appreciated...

TIA ~Paul

TV was purchased 11/13 so it's out of warranty of course.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Unread 04-01-2015, 02:51 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Unless your going through an AVR than the TV must be the culprit. Try doing a full reset to defaults on the TV. If you do have an AVR eliminate that first.

Smart enough to know better, to old to care
post #3 of 7 Unread 04-06-2015, 06:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekbones View Post
Unless your going through an AVR than the TV must be the culprit. Try doing a full reset to defaults on the TV. If you do have an AVR eliminate that first.
I hear ya ... seems like it's the TV. I guess I have a hard time believing that. It's a great TV with a great picture. So, you're thinking the 3D could go south and all other operations would remain normal and still have a great picture.

It's been reset to factory specs, doing some work on it today to see if I can pinpoint anything so will update this.

But, if it is the TV then there's a bad board in there... anyone know where to find a tech manual for this thing as I'll fix it myself if possible.
post #4 of 7 Unread 04-06-2015, 08:10 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Good luck fixing it but unfortunately your TV seems allegorical of home 3D in general.
post #5 of 7 Unread 04-06-2015, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen View Post
Good luck fixing it but unfortunately your TV seems allegorical of home 3D in general.
Yeah, 3D can be a bit of a chore at times... and this little gyration here has been a real treat for me. Allegory or not I can tell you all that it's fixed.
I recall that there was a driver update for the Radeon 5450 I use in that HTPC. Borked the 3D it seems. As I was able to load some previous drivers, without the Catalyst package... drivers only and all good. At least it seems like it was the driver... there are some things that tell me that's not true. Like the PS3 wouldn't play a 3D bluray in said mode... and that has nothing to do with the driver on the HTPC. Regardless, it's all better for now... fingers crossed.
Thanks all...
post #6 of 7 Unread Yesterday, 10:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 24
If you only have failed 3D from a rip, then perhaps it's the rip.

Have you tried playing a proper 3D disc like you had been before when it was all working okay?

If you change something and suddenly the system is not working, I would look to what you changed as the culprit first.
post #7 of 7 Unread Today, 08:16 AM - Thread Starter

Ultimately it was a driver issue... the video card is a Radeon 5450 and I allowed an update obviously. I had switched out the vid card with another one from Nvidia and still had no 3D. So went back to the ATI card and it still did not work.
Got rid of the catalyst suite and went back to an older driver and BAM! All good. Ain't computers fun!?
And there ya go... thanks everyone for you comments, thoughts and ruminations.
Reply 3D Displays
Gear in this thread