4k with PASSIVE 3D - What's the current tech/offerings? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 9Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 Old 06-05-2016, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Irishdoom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 735
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 13
4k with PASSIVE 3D - What's the current tech/offerings?

I had no intention of getting back in the TV market. I was happy with my main TV, a Panasonic TCL-ET5 55" Passive 3d TV. Well, out of the blue the other day it developed horizontal black lines all the way across. (I'm still looking into what could be causing this or what my options are - I'm almost positive I'm out of warranty though, as I bought it a couple years ago.)

Anyhow, I hadn't gotten into the 4k game and had no intention to yet, but with this development it might force my hand. The thing is I like having 3D as an option, have many 3D movies, and have NO interest in going back to 'active' 3D. Since I've been out of the loop for a couple of years, I'm not sure what the lay of the land is. I found one or two passive 3d 4k TVs, but it's hard to find them as sites don't seem to differentiate between passive and active. What are some current good offerings in this area (55 being likely my max size) and what is the price range I can get a set like this at? I see you can get a 55" 4k for dirt cheap, but the only passive 3D models I've seen are over $2k.

I've always found great recommendations here, so I thought I'd try again!
Irishdoom is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 31 Old 06-05-2016, 08:24 PM
Senior Member
 
EVERRET's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: California
Posts: 213
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Lightbulb

I would go with a LG Passive TV

LED 1080p TV - is the cheapest for 3D

LED 4K TV - is in the middle for 3D

OLED 4K TV - is top of the line for 3D

OLED HDR 4K TV - is the most $ and is needed for UHD 4K discs with HDR

Whats your top budget and where do you live?
r.furborough likes this.
EVERRET is offline  
post #3 of 31 Old 06-06-2016, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Irishdoom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 735
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I certainly plan to hold out for now until I find the right 4k Passive 3D TV. I have no interest in getting a 4k only or a 1080p Passive 3D. I want it to be both 4k and passive 3D.

I'd like to keep it around $1500 if possible. Here's one I found the other day:

http://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronics...dp/B01ARRCHSS/

It looks like it has exactly what I'm looking for, and for only $1300.
Irishdoom is offline  
 
post #4 of 31 Old 06-06-2016, 11:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sage11x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Brighton, MI
Posts: 3,788
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1095 Post(s)
Liked: 1056
I would contact Panasonic. They are one of the best to work with for warranties and repairs. You might be able to repair your current set, save some money and help the environment too!

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
sage11x is offline  
post #5 of 31 Old 06-06-2016, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Irishdoom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 735
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
I would contact Panasonic. They are one of the best to work with for warranties and repairs. You might be able to repair your current set, save some money and help the environment too!
That's good to hear, Sage. I will try that. I haven't had great experiences with most companies in the past few years, but hadn't tried Panasonic for anything.
Irishdoom is offline  
post #6 of 31 Old 06-06-2016, 03:05 PM
Senior Member
 
EVERRET's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: California
Posts: 213
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishdoom View Post
I certainly plan to hold out for now until I find the right 4k Passive 3D TV. I have no interest in getting a 4k only or a 1080p Passive 3D. I want it to be both 4k and passive 3D.

I'd like to keep it around $1500 if possible. Here's one I found the other day:

http://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronics...dp/B01ARRCHSS/

It looks like it has exactly what I'm looking for, and for only $1300.
I think you would be more than happy with that TV , it has HDR Super Plus Dolby Vision & Passive 3D.
It will be quite a upgrade from what you had.

Best Buy and Fry's have it for that price (+ tax) also.

EVERRET is offline  
post #7 of 31 Old 06-10-2016, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Irishdoom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 735
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
I would contact Panasonic. They are one of the best to work with for warranties and repairs. You might be able to repair your current set, save some money and help the environment too!
As a follow-up, I didn't have any luck talking to Panasonic. They said it likely needed repair, gave me contact info for a repair shop, and said I'd have to pay for it. I may try again to see if I get a different answer.
Irishdoom is offline  
post #8 of 31 Old 06-10-2016, 01:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tomtastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Wichita, KS
Posts: 2,227
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked: 305
I doubt it unless it's under warranty. My Pioneer receiver was 2 years old and they did the same thing. I just bought another one and moved on.

This line intentionally left blank.
tomtastic is offline  
post #9 of 31 Old 06-10-2016, 02:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sage11x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Brighton, MI
Posts: 3,788
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1095 Post(s)
Liked: 1056
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishdoom View Post
As a follow-up, I didn't have any luck talking to Panasonic. They said it likely needed repair, gave me contact info for a repair shop, and said I'd have to pay for it. I may try again to see if I get a different answer.
Well, it was worth a shot. They repaired a camera for me out-of-warranty for free. They did repair a TV for me in my home but it was still under warranty.


I'm surprised you enjoy passive 3D so much. The biggest complaint about passive 3D is the loss of vertical resolution and the corresponding jagginess that comes with it. Of course, you may find that preferable to active TVs that can suffer crosstalk (ghosting/double image). My Panasonic VT60 has active shutter glasses and the 3d is ok. It's sharp, unlike passive 3d, but does suffer from some crosstalk. Personally,


Truth be told the best 3D I've yet to experience is on the cheapest device I have to experience it on. My BenQ projector currently projects to a 100" 16:9 screen and I use some super cheap ($20/pair) 'DLP-Link' active shutter glasses with it and the image is just phenomenal. In fact, we just watched Zootopia this past Tuesday and I can honestly say that the 3D actually made the experience better-- something I rarely if ever said of my plasma.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
sage11x is offline  
post #10 of 31 Old 06-10-2016, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Irishdoom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 735
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
Well, it was worth a shot. They repaired a camera for me out-of-warranty for free. They did repair a TV for me in my home but it was still under warranty.


I'm surprised you enjoy passive 3D so much. The biggest complaint about passive 3D is the loss of vertical resolution and the corresponding jagginess that comes with it. Of course, you may find that preferable to active TVs that can suffer crosstalk (ghosting/double image). My Panasonic VT60 has active shutter glasses and the 3d is ok. It's sharp, unlike passive 3d, but does suffer from some crosstalk. Personally,


Truth be told the best 3D I've yet to experience is on the cheapest device I have to experience it on. My BenQ projector currently projects to a 100" 16:9 screen and I use some super cheap ($20/pair) 'DLP-Link' active shutter glasses with it and the image is just phenomenal. In fact, we just watched Zootopia this past Tuesday and I can honestly say that the 3D actually made the experience better-- something I rarely if ever said of my plasma.
My preference for Passive has nothing to do wit the picture quality but everything to do with convenience. I started with an active Sony 3D TV (which I still have.) It has a great picture, but the active glasses were always a hassle for me. They were expensive at the time, and the batteries just seemed to drain too quickly. I don't watch 3D movies all the time, and I routinely found that right when I wanted to watch one, the glasses batteries were dead. I did later get a couple pairs of the rechargeable Playstation 3D glasses. But I also never liked the bulkiness, they always made my eyes sweat.

It's also way easier to watch a 3D movie with my family of 5 with the simplicity of passive 3D glasses. We have a dozen pairs or more available, so we can also easily share it with bigger groups.

I also never had any complaints about the 3D picture on my Panasonic. I actually found it better in some respects as the crosstalk on my older Sony could sometimes be pretty bad. And in all honesty, I'm not a true videophile and I'm more looking for value and convenience than the best possible picture. If the idea of installing a projector didn't scare the crap out of me, I might consider it, but that's too much work or too much money to pay someone to do it right.

All that being said, if the price was right and the picture was better in all respects, I wouldn't be adverse to going active again. I'm also hoping the glasses tech is better and cheaper than it was 6 or 7 years ago when I got my first Sony 3D set.
Irishdoom is offline  
post #11 of 31 Old 06-11-2016, 09:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sage11x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Brighton, MI
Posts: 3,788
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1095 Post(s)
Liked: 1056
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishdoom View Post
My preference for Passive has nothing to do wit the picture quality but everything to do with convenience. I started with an active Sony 3D TV (which I still have.) It has a great picture, but the active glasses were always a hassle for me. They were expensive at the time, and the batteries just seemed to drain too quickly. I don't watch 3D movies all the time, and I routinely found that right when I wanted to watch one, the glasses batteries were dead. I did later get a couple pairs of the rechargeable Playstation 3D glasses. But I also never liked the bulkiness, they always made my eyes sweat.

It's also way easier to watch a 3D movie with my family of 5 with the simplicity of passive 3D glasses. We have a dozen pairs or more available, so we can also easily share it with bigger groups.

I also never had any complaints about the 3D picture on my Panasonic. I actually found it better in some respects as the crosstalk on my older Sony could sometimes be pretty bad. And in all honesty, I'm not a true videophile and I'm more looking for value and convenience than the best possible picture. If the idea of installing a projector didn't scare the crap out of me, I might consider it, but that's too much work or too much money to pay someone to do it right.

All that being said, if the price was right and the picture was better in all respects, I wouldn't be adverse to going active again. I'm also hoping the glasses tech is better and cheaper than it was 6 or 7 years ago when I got my first Sony 3D set.
Meh, I'm not a handy person and I was able to install my projector myself (and with no prior projector mounting experience). As for cost: my projector, mount, and 100" screen cost me right around a grand. And that's without resorting to refurbs or super sales-- everything was brand new msrp and bought through Amazon. The biggest lessen I've learned from dipping my toes into the projector world is it's a lot easier, a lot less expensive and a whole lot more versatile than people think.


Our projector is in our living room and besides the enormous 100" white screen mounted on the wall you would never guess this was a 'theater' space. I don't have dark capret, my ceiling is white, my walls aren't lined with accoustic panels and there's plenty of windows that aren't covered in black out curtains. Some people might object to having a movie screen in their living space but I personally don't think a large white rectangle is much more/less offensive than a large black rectangle. Picture quality is phenomenal. The color performance of my projector really surprised me. Motion handling is excellent, the picture is super sharp and the sheer impact the size makes can't be overstated. Overall black level depth isn't what you will get from a flatscreen but contrast is actually quite good. Obviously, if you have the space to dedicate to a theater you can set the room up for even better performance but I'm quite happy with the experience we have now. The value of picture quality vs price is pretty much untouchable, IMO.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
sage11x is offline  
post #12 of 31 Old 06-12-2016, 07:26 AM
Member
 
KaraokeAmerica's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 55
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
I'm surprised you enjoy passive 3D so much. The biggest complaint about passive 3D is the loss of vertical resolution and the corresponding jagginess that comes with it.
Wha? I have a Toshiba 47" passive TV and the resolution is awesome! What do you mean by "loss of vertical resolution"?

Now, I will say that since I USUALLY play my 3D from my Plex server ripped to TAB-MKV, then yes.....you do lose resolution compared to a physical disk, but the convenience was worth it to me. That being said if I pop the original disk in the picture is phenomenal! I don't see how it could be better resolution simply because it's active.


Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
Truth be told the best 3D I've yet to experience is on the cheapest device I have to experience it on. My BenQ projector currently projects to a 100" 16:9 screen and I use some super cheap ($20/pair) 'DLP-Link' active shutter glasses with it and the image is just phenomenal. In fact, we just watched Zootopia this past Tuesday and I can honestly say that the 3D actually made the experience better-- something I rarely if ever said of my plasma.
I am in the market for a new set and although I am looking primarily at passive, 65" screens like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ZVCZYLW/

I have toyed with the idea of a projector for many of the same reasons you mention, ie: size! Also, I think I knew that all projectors were "active" meaning they require powered glasses. Have you found any incompatibilities with different glasses or or all "active" glasses usable, despite the difference in pricing?

I admit my knowledge of active/passive is incidental to my 3D purchase 4 years ago. I didn't buy the TV because of 3D. I bought it because it was a great deal and it HAPPENED to have passive 3D. Since then I just heard issues about active because of synching issues.....and of course the price of the glasses is much higher than passive.

Would you mind sharing models numbers of your gear so I can start my research there?

Do you use it for daily TV watching as well? It seems it would be undue wear and tear on the projector to have it one for hours just to watch the news and such. I'm curious about the longevity of such things.

Thanks!

Last edited by KaraokeAmerica; 06-12-2016 at 07:29 AM.
KaraokeAmerica is offline  
post #13 of 31 Old 06-12-2016, 08:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tomtastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Wichita, KS
Posts: 2,227
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraokeAmerica View Post
Now, I will say that since I USUALLY play my 3D from my Plex server ripped to TAB-MKV, then yes.....you do lose resolution compared to a physical disk, but the convenience was worth it to me. That being said if I pop the original disk in the picture is phenomenal! I don't see how it could be better resolution simply because it's active.


Thanks!
Passive cuts the vertical lines from 1080p to 540p, since you're using top/bottom you're getting 1920x540p per eye, curious, how were you able to rip to t/b? I tried using DVDfab but on movies that are less than full screen it does not retain the black bars so it overlaps too much causing an error in alignment. SbS works fine either way, but t/b I can only get full screen stuff to work.

If you put in the 3D Blu ray you will see no difference on a passive screen unless you rip to SbS which would further cut the resolution to 960x540p. If you play it from disc on active then it would be full 1920x1080p per eye or on a passive 4k. However, when I play SbS or T/B content on my active PJ compared to Blu ray I really don't see the difference also should note that SbS and T/B renders are equal on my active PJ for overall resolution compared to passive which should be done in T/B only to get highest resolution possible.


Passive
Top/Bottom Side by Side
1920x540p 960x540p (Top bottom has twice the pixel resolution per eye 1 million vs 500k)

Active
Top/Bottom Side by Side
1920x540p 960x1080p (Equal pixel resolution because active doesn't cut the vertical resolution)

Passive 4k would be same as active 1080p and active 4k sets, however I'm still trying to understand what happens on a passive 4k with a 3840x2160 t/b file on another post if that will yield 3840x1080p per eye. If it will this would be higher resolution that Blu ray 3D in a single frame although still half 4k3D resolution but twice what Blu ray 3D offers.
sage11x likes this.

This line intentionally left blank.
tomtastic is offline  
post #14 of 31 Old 06-12-2016, 09:08 AM
Member
 
KaraokeAmerica's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 55
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtastic View Post
Passive cuts the vertical lines from 1080p to 540p, since you're using top/bottom you're getting 1920x540p per eye,
This is the first I've ever heard of this in the context of passive/active. I know I lose something going to a TAB/SBS file which I'm not happy about, but like I said the convenience has been worth it....so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtastic View Post
curious, how were you able to rip to t/b? I tried using DVDfab but on movies that are less than full screen it does not retain the black bars so it overlaps too much causing an error in alignment. SbS works fine either way, but t/b I can only get full screen stuff to work.
Ask me something hard! Haha! I use this:

http://www.connecta2000.com/BDtoAVCHD/?lang=en

It can make SBS or TAB. Lot's of other options as well. It is free (ad driven) but I have been using it for a few yeas with nary a problem. It is also well supported by the developer via forum. It has no spyware etc.

I bought CloneBD, but that still only does SBS, not TAB. It is faster by a little bit, but doesn't do what I need and it's commercial. This one is a freebie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtastic View Post
If you put in the 3D Blu ray you will see no difference on a passive screen unless you rip to SbS which would further cut the resolution to 960x540p. If you play it from disc on active then it would be full 1920x1080p per eye or on a passive 4k. However, when I play SbS or T/B content on my active PJ compared to Blu ray I really don't see the difference also should note that SbS and T/B renders are equal on my active PJ for overall resolution compared to passive which should be done in T/B only to get highest resolution possible.


Passive
Top/Bottom Side by Side
1920x540p 960x540p (Top bottom has twice the pixel resolution per eye 1 million vs 500k)

Active
Top/Bottom Side by Side
1920x540p 960x1080p (Equal pixel resolution because active doesn't cut the vertical resolution)

Passive 4k would be same as active 1080p and active 4k sets, however I'm still trying to understand what happens on a passive 4k with a 3840x2160 t/b file on another post if that will yield 3840x1080p per eye. If it will this would be higher resolution that Blu ray 3D in a single frame although still half 4k3D resolution but twice what Blu ray 3D offers.
Like I said....this is lost on me. I think my pictures looks great! I'll have to look on an active TV to see how it compares.
KaraokeAmerica is offline  
post #15 of 31 Old 06-13-2016, 01:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sage11x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Brighton, MI
Posts: 3,788
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1095 Post(s)
Liked: 1056
KaraokeAmerica: how large is your display? The loss of resolution is dramatic-- technically it's no longer HD-- but screen size and viewing distance could lessen the impact.


Active 3d allows you to retain HD resolution (which becomes very important as screen size increases) but comes at the expense of needing shutter glasses which are more complex and expensive than passive glasses. In addition to the glasses, active 3d often gets more complaints for something called crosstalk which is a ghostly double image that occurs when information meant for one eye somehow gets to the other. It's important to note here, however, that the type of display technology factors largely into whether or not crosstalk will be an issue. In general, LCD seems to have the most probelms with crosstalk while DLP front projection is seemingly immune.


I have a BenQ 2050. It's a 1080p DLP projector that is 3d capable and carries an msrp of $800. It is the entry level model of a family that includes the BenQ 3050 and 4050 and is frequently listed as one of if not the best values in the sub $1000 projector market owing mostly to it's superb picture quality. I currently have it mounted to my ceiling and am projecting onto a 100" Silver Ticket White screen which you can find online for around $200. It uses 'DLP link' active shutter glasses NOT the more popular 'RF' glasses.


It is our "TV" although I want to point out that I'm a cord cutter so we don't watch TV the way most people do (goes on when they get home and doesn't go off until they go to bed). We mostly use it for movies/netflix in the evening although it's bright enough that you could certainly use it during the day without much of an issue. I've tested it out with the ESPN app and sports are pretty amazing at 100" but we're not sports fans-- I will offer to host super bowl, however. Video games are similarly amazing but we have a dual screen setup in the other room that we use for gaming that absolutely rocks and I don't like playing games from the couch (hurts my neck and back).

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
sage11x is offline  
post #16 of 31 Old 06-13-2016, 04:21 PM
Advanced Member
 
Steve P.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 778
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 23
You do realize that with 4K passive sets, the whole loss of vertical resolution thing is a moot point? You get 1080p in each eye, same as active 3D, but without the flicker, crosstalk or hassle. The problem is it seems LG is only one still supporting it. I have a 4K passive set, and it is amazing, far better than the active 3D set I used to have. I still use active with my projector, but luckily it doesn't suffer from much crosstalk at all.


Personally, I never had a problem with passive even on 1080p sets if the screen was under 47". But I once saw a 55" displaying it and there was no mistaking those scan lines. But since no one is still making 1080p passive 3D sets, the whole active vs passive argument is now pointless, especially since the 4K active sets only support 3D at 2K anyway and all of the 3D content is 2K (for now).
GregK and EVERRET like this.
Steve P. is offline  
post #17 of 31 Old 06-13-2016, 10:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tomtastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Wichita, KS
Posts: 2,227
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked: 305
Actually, active is pretty much dead on flat panels, only available on PJ's now, right?

I have to say, because I have both a passive 1080p display and active PJ, I don't see a loss of resolution on the passive. Passive (non UHD screen) is limited to only 1920x540p per eye but with 3D it still looks HD. I've tested it quite a bit between my screens. The bigger advantage on my PJ is the larger 140" screen over 65". But my passive screen has better color and contrast, but that is to be expected. Also, the PJ has zero cross talk for most part, my passive screen has quite a bit at times and it doesn't help that it's over fireplace. So I prefer PJ also because it's in a dedicated theater room too. But at some point I want to get a passive 4k screen, just need to find a place for it.

This line intentionally left blank.
tomtastic is offline  
post #18 of 31 Old 06-14-2016, 07:04 AM
Advanced Member
 
Steve P.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 778
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtastic View Post
Actually, active is pretty much dead on flat panels, only available on PJ's now, right?




Also, the PJ has zero cross talk for most part, my passive screen has quite a bit at times and it doesn't help that it's over fireplace. So I prefer PJ also because it's in a dedicated theater room too. But at some point I want to get a passive 4k screen, just need to find a place for it.

Over the fireplace? Not ideal for passive 3D (or for 2D IMHO) as your viewing angle should be directly in front of your eyes to avoid crosstalk (or a pain in the neck). If you follow this simple guideline you should rarely, if ever, get crosstalk on a passive set. I suppose a tilting mount could help?


Sony still has a 4K model with active 3D in 2016 as far as I know, on the higher end. But I wouldn't be surprised if they don't next year, so that would leave just the PJ manufacturers.
Steve P. is offline  
post #19 of 31 Old 06-14-2016, 08:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sage11x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Brighton, MI
Posts: 3,788
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1095 Post(s)
Liked: 1056
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve P. View Post
You do realize that with 4K passive sets, the whole loss of vertical resolution thing is a moot point? You get 1080p in each eye, same as active 3D, but without the flicker, crosstalk or hassle. The problem is it seems LG is only one still supporting it. I have a 4K passive set, and it is amazing, far better than the active 3D set I used to have. I still use active with my projector, but luckily it doesn't suffer from much crosstalk at all.


Personally, I never had a problem with passive even on 1080p sets if the screen was under 47". But I once saw a 55" displaying it and there was no mistaking those scan lines. But since no one is still making 1080p passive 3D sets, the whole active vs passive argument is now pointless, especially since the 4K active sets only support 3D at 2K anyway and all of the 3D content is 2K (for now).
Well that was sort of my point in asking how large Karaoke's screen was. I agree that on smaller screen sizes the loss of resolution won't be that noticeable or even noticeable at all. But then I'm the AVSer who never thought 720p was an issue in flatscreens 50" and below and doesn't see much point in 4k outside of projectors where the screen sizes will be 90"+. I'm still surprised that so many here with 1080p passive sets don't notice the resolution loss. Again, I'm no champion of resolution but it amazes me in the day of 40" 4k TVs.


But you make a great point. I know that 3D is essentially being phased out by many manufacturers but I had no idea that LG was the last game in town for passive 3D and that 4k 3d is now the only option left. I had thought Panasonic and Sony were still selling some passive sets but that just shows how much I know. I'm afraid that after plasma became extinct my interest in flatscreens has largely subsided.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
sage11x is offline  
post #20 of 31 Old 06-14-2016, 08:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tomtastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Wichita, KS
Posts: 2,227
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve P. View Post
Over the fireplace? Not ideal for passive 3D (or for 2D IMHO) as your viewing angle should be directly in front of your eyes to avoid crosstalk (or a pain in the neck). If you follow this simple guideline you should rarely, if ever, get crosstalk on a passive set. I suppose a tilting mount could help?


Sony still has a 4K model with active 3D in 2016 as far as I know, on the higher end. But I wouldn't be surprised if they don't next year, so that would leave just the PJ manufacturers.
I have a tilt mount and I usually sat about 11 feet back, still seating was off to the side which created lots of cross talk. For the purposes of testing though I'm just standing and viewing about 10 feet back. I don't watch any movies on there any more because of dedicated room now. Hopefully, passive doesn't get phased out too.

This line intentionally left blank.
tomtastic is offline  
post #21 of 31 Old 06-14-2016, 09:06 AM
Advanced Member
 
Steve P.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 778
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Agreed, especially because passive 3D looks so good on 4K sets. I hope LG hangs in there., but it seems everyone is chasing the HDR train now. It's funny, because you just know that a significant portion of the public will buy a 4K HDR set, continue to watch DVDs on it (probably stretched) and think it looks great.
Steve P. is offline  
post #22 of 31 Old 06-14-2016, 09:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tomtastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Wichita, KS
Posts: 2,227
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
Well that was sort of my point in asking how large Karaoke's screen was. I agree that on smaller screen sizes the loss of resolution won't be that noticeable or even noticeable at all. But then I'm the AVSer who never thought 720p was an issue in flatscreens 50" and below and doesn't see much point in 4k outside of projectors where the screen sizes will be 90"+. I'm still surprised that so many here with 1080p passive sets don't notice the resolution loss. Again, I'm no champion of resolution but it amazes me in the day of 40" 4k TVs.
I think the reason is that when something is 3D, you're brain doesn't notice the difference between something that is 1920x1080p and 1920x540p because the two images are fused together in your head, but each eye is required to notice the clarity individually. If I were to show you a blind test of a sample of the two resolutions you likely wouldn't notice the difference even on an active TV.

I've tested 1920x540p and 960x1080p, these are equal overall pixel resolution and they look identical on the PJ in my tests. Can I tell that one has taller resolution and one is wider resolution? No. Then, comparing a t/b on LG passive screen to a SbS, yes, I can see the difference. It isn't as much difference as I would have thought though. It's very subtle. This is why content uploaded to YT should be done in T/B so that passive screens aren't cut from 1920x540p down to 960x540p for SbS, however, as I said before, it isn't that noticeable either but you might as well get the highest resolution out there and it won't matter on active since it's equal resolution.

If you put a Blu ray 3D in, it will of course look the same as a T/B render so you really can't compare the two on a passive screen, but I have compared it on my PJ and I really see no difference. The only difference I see is that color and contrast on LG is better giving it an overall better picture despite the lower vertical resolution but I'd have to stand up the entire time to get the best viewing angle so back to the basement.

I have a 28" 4k monitor, but I sit about 2-3 feet from it usually for editing. For something in a living room, yeah I think as far as resolution you'd need something over 70" for sure. But there is also the color and black levels on OLED to look forward to.

This line intentionally left blank.
tomtastic is offline  
post #23 of 31 Old 06-14-2016, 10:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
HockeyoAJB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 2,022
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 975 Post(s)
Liked: 815
LG is the only manufacturer to include passive 3D in any of their 2016 models. Your options from them include the UH8500 and 9500 Super UHD LED/LCD's and the C6, E6, and G6 OLED's. All of the above are UHD displays with support for both HDR10 and Dolby Vision. They also have 2015 models available, but only the EF9500 and EG9600 support any form of HDR (specifically HDR10) and offer significant savings as compared to the 2016 models. I would steer clear of the 2015 LG LED/LCD's unless you can get a really good deal on one. The 2016 models have significantly better PQ according to reviews.

The only other manufacturer with a 2015 passive 3D 4K set was Sony with their X900C. It's a super thin edge-lit LED/LCD (frame dimming) set that tends to suffer from light bleeding at the bottom corners. If you only watch TV with a significant amount of ambient light then it might be a worthwhile option as it does support HDR10 and may have a slight edge on the LG's when it comes to motion resolution and upscaling. Otherwise, I'd go with an LG.

Last edited by HockeyoAJB; 06-14-2016 at 10:46 AM.
HockeyoAJB is offline  
post #24 of 31 Old 07-02-2016, 02:54 PM
Member
 
bostonfan2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 23
3d ...

We liked 3D on our Sammy D7000, yeah the glasses with batteries
Was a bit of a hassle but it was enjoyable as a change of pace.
After replacing the dead set with an LG E6 passive ....wow....we are
Looking for more and more movies to add. And the light glasses
And no worries about batteries are a bonus. I hope they keep releasing 3D titles for a long time....
Irishdoom and EVERRET like this.

MacMini > Musical Fidelity Vdac 2 > Emotiva XSP-1 > Emotiva XPA-2 >
Ascend Acoustic NRT Towers > Rhythmik F12SE > :)
bostonfan2 is offline  
post #25 of 31 Old 07-03-2016, 08:07 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
sdurani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Monterey Park, CA
Posts: 25,055
Mentioned: 114 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5123 Post(s)
Liked: 3605
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyoAJB View Post
LG is the only manufacturer to include passive 3D in any of their 2016 models.
Since these are 4K sets, is the passive 3D done with 1080p for each eye?
r.furborough likes this.

Sanjay
sdurani is offline  
post #26 of 31 Old 07-03-2016, 01:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
HockeyoAJB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 2,022
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 975 Post(s)
Liked: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post
Since these are 4K sets, is the passive 3D done with 1080p for each eye?
Afaik, it takes the original 1920x1080 frame for each eye and upscales it to 3840x1080. So, it has all of the detail of the original.
sdurani likes this.
HockeyoAJB is offline  
post #27 of 31 Old 11-15-2016, 10:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Marc D Carra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Not all passive 3D 4k sets have reduced resolution in 3D mode. My Sony XBR65X900A 4K panel uses the extra resolution to generate 1920x1080 per eye, resulting in an extremely sharp image with little to no crosstalk. And you can use Real3D glasses you get when you see a 3D movie at the theaters. I think this is the way most of the new LG 4K panels do 3D as well. It's nothing short of spectacular!
Marc D Carra is offline  
post #28 of 31 Old 11-16-2016, 09:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tomtastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Wichita, KS
Posts: 2,227
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked: 305
The only bad thing about LG displays is the input lag and this goes back a number of years, not just with OLED. My 2011 model was notoriously bad and not usable for online gaming. So if you're considering a LG and also want to game I would research your model and see what the reports are on it first.

I picked up a cheap 4K passive LG a little over a month ago and low and behold it has input lag so can't use it for online gaming. What I mean by online gaming is that if you play first person shooters where timing is critical the delay in the controller and screen timing is off, there is a large lag so these screens don't work for that. And this is a big issue with OLED displays with their improved color and contrast, everyone wants to play the latest games on them but at the same time, impossible to play because of the lag.

The screen I picked up was a 49" LG UB8500, I found it on Craigslist for cheap as I just needed a display for 3D editing and didn't want to fork over the cost of a new 4K 3D display which run around 1300 new. It doesn't have OLED or HDR just 4K and passive 3D. I will say there is noticeable crosstalk at times but the room I have it in I can't get far enough back from it. I need a few more feet it seems. Overall, I'm happy with it considering it was cheap. I would be disappointed with it if I had bought it new.
r.furborough likes this.

This line intentionally left blank.
tomtastic is offline  
post #29 of 31 Old 11-21-2016, 02:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
3DBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Southeastern Michigan
Posts: 1,378
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc D Carra View Post
Not all passive 3D 4k sets have reduced resolution in 3D mode. My Sony XBR65X900A 4K panel uses the extra resolution to generate 1920x1080 per eye, resulting in an extremely sharp image with little to no crosstalk. And you can use Real3D glasses you get when you see a 3D movie at the theaters. I think this is the way most of the new LG 4K panels do 3D as well. It's nothing short of spectacular!
Marc, how bad is the light bleed on yours? That is the number one issue with that TV.
3DBob is offline  
post #30 of 31 Old 11-22-2016, 09:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
HockeyoAJB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 2,022
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 975 Post(s)
Liked: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DBob View Post
Marc, how bad is the light bleed on yours? That is the number one issue with that TV.
I've never heard of light bleed issues with the X900A (2013 flagship model). The one that tends to suffer from light bleed is the X900C (2015 super slim model), which is the most recent model from Sony to utilize passive 3D.
HockeyoAJB is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply 3D Displays

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off