How many 3D displays do you have? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

Old 12-02-2016, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question How many 3D displays do you have?

I have a sony PS3 3D screen, an Asus laptop with 3D screen, a Commander Freevi flightdeck 3D glasses free tablet, a sony bloggie 3D, and an HTC Vive..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2016, 06:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 706 Post(s)
Liked: 225
2011 LG 65" 3D 1080p
2014 LG 49" 4K/3D
BenQ 1070 w/ 140" screen
Nintendo 3DS
Fuji W3 Camera (lenticular display)
Panasonic Z10000 Camcorder (built-in 3D viewer)
Not sure if this one counts but a VR Box (Goggles)

I think that's it, for now.

This line intentionally left blank.
Old 12-09-2016, 02:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Tom, I'm assuming your LG 3D 4K is passive 3D. How do you like it?

Old 12-09-2016, 07:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DBob View Post
Tom, I'm assuming your LG 3D 4K is passive 3D. How do you like it?
Yeah, that's the one I'm using in place of a 3D monitor since they don't manufacture passive monitors any more. It's ok, I know there's better ones now with HDR but I don't really use it for movies and it was cheap, like 400 used so I couldn't pass it up. At times it does have some ghosting issues, not as good there compared to my PJ.

Old 12-10-2016, 11:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I made the "strategic" decision today to buy a new LG 60UH8500 passive 3D TV (2016 version). It appears most if not all manufacturers are going to stop producing 3D TVs after this year since they can offer basically the same 4K TV for about half the price. I found that out today at Costco. The non-3D version of the LG I bought was half the price and my wife is--well let's put it this way--upset. She doesn't understand why I would spend twice as much for 3D when I already have a 3D projector. Frankly, I want to use it as a 4K 3D monitor (knowing that 3D is only shown in 1080p of course), so I can easily check out my 3D videos and 3D slide shows. I figured I better get one now before they disappeared. The TV has all the bells and whistles on it (dolby vision, HDR, upscaling, smart TV, IPS for wider viewing, billion color engine and passive 3D) that will make it somewhat future proof as well.
Old 12-10-2016, 12:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I looked at that one and the 55. The 55" was around 1200 but I couldn't justify spending that right now if I could get a used model for 400. The good news is that I can get a 65" inch to replace my 2011 model for about 1000 less than what I paid for it back in 2012, so 4K and 3D has really come down in price. Not sure about OLED, I really wanted it but the cost is just still too high. That and the input lag. LG's are really bad with input lag. I would imagine LG will still be making 3D models. There's still a market for 3D so someone has to build it.

Old 12-13-2016, 03:01 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I only have one 3D display.
Old 12-21-2016, 09:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtastic View Post
I looked at that one and the 55. The 55" was around 1200 but I couldn't justify spending that right now if I could get a used model for 400. The good news is that I can get a 65" inch to replace my 2011 model for about 1000 less than what I paid for it back in 2012, so 4K and 3D has really come down in price. Not sure about OLED, I really wanted it but the cost is just still too high. That and the input lag. LG's are really bad with input lag. I would imagine LG will still be making 3D models. There's still a market for 3D so someone has to build it.
Tom, I received my 60UH8500 60" LG with passive 3D last week and finally got it up and running this past weekend. I will say this. If you have a great 1080p 55" like I did, this doesn't look much better. In fact, backlit LEDs are a real pain in the butt to tweak since brightness can be controlled by the brightness dial and the backlit dial. Get the backlit too low and you get weird shadow banding on bright images especially with panning camera movement. I was tearing my hair out all weekend getting it to look right. Finally got it within 90% of what I like. Then I finally tried the 3D and "wow!" I was blown away. The glasses are super light and very clear, not dark. The image is twin 1080p and very nice. Also, this TV has a 2D to 3D conversion feature, and it's the best I've seen so far. 3D can also be adjusted for more or less depth and switched eyes, plus Side-by-Side, Top/Bottom and frame packed. I did not see any crosstalk. The screen becomes brighter in 3D, and it was perfect for average living room light. As for 4K scaling in 2D. It looks great when you show digital camera images (just plug in a usb drive with images on it and away it goes--easy as pie). But upscaling Comcast cable is not all that great of an improvement. In fact some programs get too smooth looking, even with sharpness turned way up. If I were to get this just for 4K, given little to no content out there, I'm not sure it would be worth switching from my LCD. The 3D, however, makes it all good.
Old 01-04-2017, 11:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yep, LG dropped 3D on the new OLED models for 2017. I'm not sure on the HDR models. Previous year models can still be bought with 3D of course. Personally, I prefer my PJ for watching movies so I don't think a flat panel will ever replace my main viewing anyway and OLED isn't in my budget right now.

Either way you look at it, this is more bad news for 3D. Seems like the manufacturers are taking away the option for 3D. Despite that, there are over 30 studio 3D releases planned for 2017 so there's no sign of a decline in 3D movies, although native filmed 3D seems to be nearly gone. Alien Covenant seems to be the only native 3D movie this year.

Old 01-04-2017, 04:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Tom, that's why I bought a 60UH8500 with passive 3D this year. I saw this coming. So glad I did. Even if 3D movies die out, I still have a TV that I can use for personal 3D work that is much better than my passive 3D PC monitor.
EVERRET likes this.

Last edited by 3DBob; 01-06-2017 at 01:36 PM.
Old 01-06-2017, 10:55 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Just one, an LG 79UB9800. Looks like I'll be sticking with that for the foreseeable future. I'm a 3D nut, and non-3D offerings are non-starters for me.
Old 01-07-2017, 08:21 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DBob View Post
Tom, that's why I bought a 60UH8500 with passive 3D this year. I saw this coming. So glad I did. Even if 3D movies die out, I still have a TV that I can use for personal 3D work that is much better than my passive 3D PC monitor.
How is the light bleeding on this model? I tried out the 7000 series of this tv and had to return it because i couldn't stand the light bleeding. A small logo or light in a dark screen could bleed through most of the screen.

I am in the market and of getting a new TV and this was one of the options i considered but was concerned seeing customer reviews saying the bleeding issue was with this model as well. Also saw site reviews saying how this TV couldnt get very bright and i like a brighter image. I may go with the 2016 oled.
Old 01-07-2017, 12:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MirTech View Post
How is the light bleeding on this model? I tried out the 7000 series of this tv and had to return it because i couldn't stand the light bleeding. A small logo or light in a dark screen could bleed through most of the screen.

I am in the market and of getting a new TV and this was one of the options i considered but was concerned seeing customer reviews saying the bleeding issue was with this model as well. Also saw site reviews saying how this TV couldnt get very bright and i like a brighter image. I may go with the 2016 oled.
My 60UH8500 is definitely bright enough--for me at least--in fact at night I'm always reducing the brightness as it's way to bright sometimes, and you do have to fiddle with backlighting (I have mine at 55) vs. brightness and contrast to reduce the light bleeding or pillars of light that other call it. Also another issue is the weird dirty marks that show up during a panning video or white areas. They are usually constant. I had all of these issues and really wasn't sure I wanted to keep the TV. That said, after a week, I unplugged the TV and moved it out to get behind and plug in a sound bar and bluray player. In the process I had to slightly lift one side of the TV to shift it out. I had to lift and rock the TV several times to move it forward on the TV stand table, then do the same to get it back in position. I also ended up rubbing the back a few times with my bare hand to get some dust off. Well here is the bizarre thing. All of the weird dirty marks disappeared and the light pillars seemed to go away as well. I'm thinking that since the TV was quite heavily packed in Styrofoam, the static electricity generated during shipping did something to the IPS display. In the process of moving it I somehow dissipated the static electricity (I think). Anyway, I love the picture now, and the passive 3D is bright and very nice using the polarized glasses--and you won't get a headache as you might with shutterglass driven 3D.

That said, I've seen the LG OLED tvs and they are well beyond anything you can buy in normal LED. The downside of the OLEDs is the price and also the glare off the screen like the Plasmas. The LG IPS screens are not as shiny and less reflection. However the less reflection also means a little less apparent contrast. If you can afford the OLED model, then go for it. However, if you have a bright living space with lots of rear reflection on the TV, then I'm not sure you'd like it. I have a lot of rear reflection on the LG and it can be quite noticeable even with the less reflective screen. Also, LG is not including 3D in their 2017 models (as reported by CES reps), so you will have to get the 2016 models before they are sold out.

For those interested in the 2016 LG TVs, check out this forum: Official LG 55/60/65 UH8500 Thread

Last edited by 3DBob; 01-08-2017 at 09:53 AM. Reason: Add forum link.
Old 01-08-2017, 05:00 PM

Thanks for the info Bob. I think i will be going with the 2016 OLED as of now. The TV will be in Dimly Lit Basement Theater Style Room with little reflection. I normally turn the lights off for 3d viewing.

And to contribute to the thread i have:

50 inch Vizio M Razor Series 3d TV
New Nintendo 3DS XL
Asus 144hz 24in 3d capable monitor. However i never bought the nvidia 3d vision kit for it.
Old 01-09-2017, 10:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 530 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Panasonic 50" ST60 plasma
Samsung 51" F8500 plasma
Sony 50" W700B lcd

I never watch 3D, and hope they stop making 3D films.

Epson 8350 / Panasonic AX-200u / Optoma Graywolf 92" / Draper Luma 92"
Samsung 51F8500 / Panasonic P50ST60 / Vizio P502ui-B1 / Sony 50W700B LCD
Sony S790 / Panasonic BDT-220 / Roku 2 XS & Roku 2
Samsung F550 / Speakercraft CS3 / Yamaha YAS-105
Old 01-10-2017, 08:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Not everyone sees 3D in the same way as my optician explained to me. It has to do with how the brain interprets depth based on color, contrast, lighting--even cataracts can affect it. Some eyes are not aligned properly, so the brain shifts the image slightly in one eye to create a match with the other eye. That explains why two perfectly matched left and right eye 3D images can cause headaches in many people. My wife and daughter do not like 3D, makes them nauseous, and my daughter always says it's too dark. Oh well, time spent hating 3D is often better spent hoping that what you do like survives as every technology we have today is a buggy whip to future generations. 4K 2D is the norm, yet all but a small portion of today's media comes close to being 4K--why not spend time wishing for more 4K media, bluray and movies. Oh, wait, next year's CES will be about 8K TVs, my guess.
EVERRET and Magellan55 like this.
Old 01-10-2017, 09:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I doubt 4K 2D is the norm. The norm would still be HD/SD based on sales and broadcast viewing. Just my estimate but I would say only a small percentage upgrade TV's often enough to have 4K yet, especially if they bought a TV in the last ten years. For my main living room, I bought my 65" LG in 2012 and I don't see any reason to replace it yet, before that it was 2007 and I gave that one away or I would still have it, before that 2001.

When I look at what friends and relatives have which are more typical to average buying than most, I see most just have 1080p no 3D or 4K, still. 3D is not for everyone so it will always be niche but 4K is niche too because it's really beyond what most care to spend money on when HD is good enough. 8K, lol. I did some checking and while I'm sure my eyes are still good enough to see the difference on my 140" screen (for now) I think I might actually have to scoot up a few feet to notice the difference between 4K and 8K. To examine individual pixels I think I figured it was about 3.5 or 4 feet away (too close for viewing). To notice the difference between 8K and 4K at 10 feet where I sit I think it might be harder to notice than I originally thought and this is on a 140" screen, I might have to sit at 8 feet which isn't possible in the room. For flat panels in the 60-85" range, you'd have to sit half the distance. With 4K I think we've reached the resolution limit unless we increase size, but typically in a living room no one wants something 100" or bigger or could even afford such a monstrosity. So for my main theater room I may upgrade to 4K if they have a decent one with 3D and around 1K price tag. But I don't see any reason to go 8K ever. I possibly would go with an 8K monitor for editing but it would have to be something like a 50" and I don't have room for that on my desk and unless I'm filming in 8K no need either, maybe for still photography.

Old 01-10-2017, 01:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I think your right Tom, 8K is a stretch for many years to come. I was pretty much blown away, though, buy how 4K TVs are being sold for less than $400 for 55". That pretty much makes it main stream. Best Buy near here had only a few 1080p TVs, and they were off to the side away from all the LG, Sony and Samsung 4K display areas. I had not seen that last year. My bet is no 1080p TVs will be offered by next December. And some TV makers have admitted that they are and have been using 4K displays in their 1080p TVs for several years (they basically leave out the upscaling technology) as they have been switching production to 4K, since it was more efficient to manufacture that way.
Old 01-10-2017, 04:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The 400.00-500.00 4K displays are from Vizeo, Insignia and Hisense that lack the HDR feature and 3D. I just saw a Westinghouse listed for 329.00 4K. Those 400-500 models are to sell to the masses that care less about quality and more about how cheap they can pick them up on Black Friday. I think right now a 55" LG with HDR and no 3D is around 999.00 the 2016 3D version with HDR is 1200 and these are on sale. I don't consider these to be the best on the market but it's the minimum I would purchase though I would want at least a 65". Those cheap ones are all 50" or smaller so you'd need to sit pretty close for 4K. Most, probably aren't sitting close enough to notice the 4K improvement they just picked it up because it was cheaper than a Samsung 1080p display.

I thought about replacing my 65" in LR with last year's model but we don't watch any 4K content yet and don't have any plans on buying a UHD player any time soon. And for 3D, it would be an improvement for Blu ray 3D over the 1080p display but up there over fireplace not really good with the angles and my family is like yours, I seem to be the only one that likes 3D here so I'm done buying animated kids movies in 3D. I'm not a big fan of them myself accept for Pixar but they haven't had any good ones in awhile. I'll just be getting 2D versions of those from now on. Most of the time I put a 3D kids movie on they just watch without the glasses. So I give up.

Another point is that while they're selling 4K displays, not everyone will actually use native 4K content. They may just be replacing a broken TV too or whatever. Might just now be upgrading from their CRT, lol! I think 1080p will be around awhile in some smaller displays. They have uses in smaller areas of the home but yeah the larger ones will all be 4K in the next year or two. New displays, yes 4K is the new trend, I think I meant to say that content is really still HD or less for most and will be for a long time. I still watch a lot of TV shows on DVD and have a number of DVD's I don't have HD versions for yet.

8K, I think it's fine from a filming standpoint, it will make 4K better as it's a super sampled image, like IMAX but you'd need a 4K display to notice the difference. If manufacturers try to push a 8K flat panel that's only 50" you've got a real marketing scam and they'll have suckers lining up you can bet. You'll have to sit like 3 feet away to notice the difference over 4K but hey, it's 8K and that's better than only 4K. You possibly could get a benefit from something around 80" but you'd need to sit about 5 feet from it still.

Last edited by tomtastic; 01-10-2017 at 04:58 PM.
Old 01-10-2017, 05:26 PM

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 46
I'm reading how people will snap up LG oleds and uhds 2016 3D models before they are sold out which makes me wonder if LG will still produce them 2016 3D models well into 2017 or later (if there're demands for 3D)...Does this make sense?
Old 01-10-2017, 05:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raif71 View Post
I'm reading how people will snap up LG oleds and uhds 2016 3D models before they are sold out which makes me wonder if LG will still produce them 2016 3D models well into 2017 or later (if there're demands for 3D)...Does this make sense?
I don't think LG will produce 2016 compliant TVs now. In fact, they probably stopped about 3 months ago to gear up for 2017 models. There is a ton of inventory out there, there, so you'll see them available for at least 6 months, I think.
Old 01-10-2017, 06:08 PM

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Hmm, this has certainly impact my buying decision to wait until end of this year. You see, I was hoping that I'll be getting one of the LG UHD 2017 3D models but now that dream has been blown to smithereens and I have to start thinking of buying earlier (2016 ones). I have been reading that somehow the 3D quality of the 2016 4K 3D model is a hit and miss even oled ones. Some got good panels (no crosstalk), some got bad ones which needed returning. I don't mind the light edge bleeding (tons of people complain that too) coz my room is kinda bright but the 3D crosstalk had me hoping for a fix in quality in the 2017 models
Old 01-10-2017, 06:55 PM

I wondering if the desire of 3d enthusiast of the 2016 oled will factor in them having less of a sale on the final of the inventory. I've been debating on weather to wait for a super bowl sale or try to find one now.
Old 01-11-2017, 07:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MirTech View Post
I wondering if the desire of 3d enthusiast of the 2016 oled will factor in them having less of a sale on the final of the inventory. I've been debating on weather to wait for a super bowl sale or try to find one now.
I think you are okay to wait. There should a lot of inventory out there as the store are still waiting for 2017 models to show up. You might try calling some stores just to see what they have. I have called Best Buy in the past and asked when their sales are going to be, and they seem to respond without an issue.
Old 01-11-2017, 10:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 449 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Well, I think the 2016 OLED will get some nice healthy discounts around Super Bowl time. I think the E6 model didn't get any discounts for Black Friday (the 3d less b6 got big discounts) unless they were clearing out the b6 to make room for 2017 models. It was so deep the E6 models were practically twice the price.
Old 01-15-2017, 10:32 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 17
All Lg 55 inch. One from each of the last 3 years
Old 01-21-2017, 08:03 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
My inventory all 1080p
2 playstation 3d TVs Active 3d - one broke with redlight of death- debating on trying to solder the $15 part.
1 LG 47 inch non smart Passive 3d.
1 Epson 6020 -138in curved screen runco /rebranded isco II lens.

Curious about commander tablet I wanted one last year never really saw any reviews on it?

Was debating on 1 more passive LG tv to get as well.
Old 01-25-2017, 06:11 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 111
LG 65EG9600. Awesome 3D.
Old 02-09-2017, 09:36 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I just got the BenQ HT3050 projector, but it didn't come with 3D glasses

And the Nintendo 3DS, if that counts.
Old 02-09-2017, 09:41 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Just one, the JVC X750R (RS500) projector with three 3D glasses, with a 130" scope screen (10 ft wide). I don't need anything else to watch 3D in all its glory.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
3dtv , display , screen , tablet , virtual reality